The discovery thread!
Apr 14, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #76,366 of 106,567
Have you tried VE SIE? If so, what is your opinion about them?

on the other hand I really enjoy ibasso IT01s.

No, but coincidentally, @Xinlisupreme was just recommending them to me earlier today!

Apr 14, 2023 at 6:23 PM Post #76,368 of 106,567
Oh you got Mk2? Congrats 🎉🍾
Yeah, I have a hunch that Mk2 can be the “breakthrough” IEM, the “endgame for the mass” that I have been waiting for, so I pulled the trigger. Finger-crossed. I’ll be shouting from the roof if it is that good.

Apr 14, 2023 at 6:27 PM Post #76,369 of 106,567
Just read “Silica Gel affects the performance for BA IEMs, if you store your IEM in less humid storage, it performs better” is this some kind of myth or anyone had some experience?

I rotate silica gel packets through a hearing aid drier and my IEM cases. That of course proves nothing other than a degree of obsessive behavior and paranoia.

Apr 14, 2023 at 6:29 PM Post #76,370 of 106,567
So I got caught up in the general view on this thread that the NiceHCK Black Cat cables were very good value at their discounted prices, which totalled for a 4.4mm MMCX and two 4.4mm .78mm, 2 pins, at under £50 for the three (the two pins were more expensive than the MMCX). They are good strong, well made, cables.....BUT what the F does NiceHCK BlackCat Zinc Copper Alloy Oil Soaked mean. Even if whatever is true, are they soaking it in oil like a 'Confit' duck leg. Zinc/Copper alloy for a cable...anyone heard of that before? They are well made and work well BUT why oil soak?
Zinc-copper.alloys, aka brass are hardly known for the use in wires/cables.

Two main reasons for this is 1) alloy resistivities are significantly higher/inferior (as high as 4-5 times of that of pure copper); 2) brass is much more prone to corrosion degradation compared to copper.

So two reasons for using Zn-Cu that I can possibly think of:

I..Zn-Cu look gold-like. But then they still corrode, so the black shearth was used, and no golden anymore, with the metal appearance being irrelevant.

2. NiceHCK making a pun of audiophiles, first starting with "lantanide" alloys, then this brass, not much different from those "proverbial hangcoater wires"....

Then "oil soaking" is quite legitimate, which may come as a surprise to many.
This treatment was scientifically developed to improve corrosion resistance by precluding oxygen from geting in contact and oxidizing the wires. In UK, they even used mineral oil to protect some underground cables (brought quite a bit of problems in a long run, but still there...)

"Black cat" clearly shows that with the nice looking connectors, audiophiles can buy just about anything inside (and no need to pay for palladium even)- the beauity is skin-deep clearly.

These all the arguments above will bring my main point that if $25-75 cables will be sold as nice jewelry - with well designed comnectors, nice looking connectors/plugs, beautiful patterns of the cable insulation, including personaly artistic and national/cultural designs, and finally nice comfortable fit, accomodating different prefernces - everyone can benefit greatly :)
(I will happily get more on top of my 75+ cables)

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #76,371 of 106,567
Yeah, I have a hunch that Mk2 can be the “breakthrough” IEM, the “endgame for the mass” that I have been waiting for, so I pulled the trigger. Finger-crossed. I’ll be shouting from the roof if it is that good.
From my experience of SA6 and that FR of MKII surely it will be “all you need is this” type all rounder IEM😄👍 Looking forward for your review!

Apr 14, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #76,372 of 106,567
I have exactly zero negative things to say about the DT200.
Wonderful IEM and at price of $67?

I do think DT200 has got better timbre than HEXA, and only slightly behind it for mid-layering. That’s it.

As HEXA is A-grade, I’d also rate DT200 to same range A-grade, very high cost performing IEM with great (RSV-like) timbre, that I had not seen any from sub$100 segment before.

@PhonoPhi

As an all-BA lover, and knowing you found Droplet with good surprises, you may also find DT200 with a great surprise👍

Apr 14, 2023 at 7:13 PM Post #76,373 of 106,567
The number one reason I'm considering the IE600 is fit, the other 600-700 dollar IEMs I'm considering are tuned more to my preference except maybe the Moondrop S8 which is probably a bit too hot in the mids but fits the bill of being highly technical.

Yeah Moondrop S8 is more technical than IE600, but has worse timbre and note weight. Wouldn't recommend the S8 if timbral accuracy is a priority, but it is a technical beast.

Wonderful IEM and at price of $67?

I do think DT200 has got better timbre than HEXA, and only slightly behind it for mid-layering. That’s it.

As HEXA is A-grade, I’d also rate DT200 to same range A-grade, very high cost performing IEM with great (RSV-like) timbre, that I had not seen any from sub$100 segment before.

@PhonoPhi

As an all-BA lover, and knowing you found Droplet with good surprises, you may also find DT200 with a great surprise👍

DT200 at the $67 USD price is a no-brainer really. Would recommend at this price if someone is looking for a warm neutral set without fatigue. Excellent isolation, comes with a pelican hard case too.

But at the original $140ish USD release price, I would be hesitant to recommend them, as there is really tough competition above $100 bucks. The DT200 have A+ tonality and timbre is very good for a pure BA set up, but the C level technicalities (average soundstage, lack of edge definition, average clarity/micro-details) hold them back.

Apr 14, 2023 at 7:27 PM Post #76,374 of 106,567
The IE600 coulda had me in the ‘analytical’ tip position if it didn’t bump 6kHz. It’s not a big boost but still enough to throw off linearity compared to the rest of the treble which is done well.
IE600 has been one of my favorite IEMs, and with the NF audio tips, they reduced mid bass while adding some air to the proceedings, which have made them just an amazingly fun yet detailed listen. Let's see where the Aur Aure falls when it arrives?

Apr 14, 2023 at 7:40 PM Post #76,376 of 106,567
SR5 is so tempting, but I am saving for Tanchjim Kara. I'm actually mad that I got Star River instead of OLA Bass already
Feel you there🥲

I should have gotten OLA as well.

Apr 14, 2023 at 8:27 PM Post #76,377 of 106,567
I'd like to think of the DT200 as a discounted Yume if that makes sense.

Both praised for tonality but criticized for having below average techs.

At 67 bucks, I'm not sure if I'd buy these given that the Hexa is 13 dollars more and probably beats the DT200 on techs.

You do get better accessories with the DT200 tho so that's something?

It's odd to me that Audiosense is also selling the DT100 but it costs almost the same as the DT200 for some reason.

Apr 14, 2023 at 8:35 PM Post #76,378 of 106,567
Yeah Moondrop S8 is more technical than IE600, but has worse timbre and note weight. Wouldn't recommend the S8 if timbral accuracy is a priority, but it is a technical beast.

DT200 at the $67 USD price is a no-brainer really. Would recommend at this price if someone is looking for a warm neutral set without fatigue. Excellent isolation, comes with a pelican hard case too.

But at the original $140ish USD release price, I would be hesitant to recommend them, as there is really tough competition above $100 bucks. The DT200 have A+ tonality and timbre is very good for a pure BA set up, but the C level technicalities (average soundstage, lack of edge definition, average clarity/micro-details) hold them back.
Yea I’m doing Blessing3 AB test right now, and out of whim, grabbed DT200 to the set, it certainly felt a class behind blessing families (HEXA/B2/B3/Variations) in terms of technicalities sadly, that’s the best 2BA could go.

However after spending a good 30 minutes, your brain get accustomed to that environment and in a longer run the tuning matters more than technicality, so that DT200’s tuning is very masterful one👍

Apr 14, 2023 at 8:41 PM Post #76,379 of 106,567
I'd like to think of the DT200 as a discounted Yume if that makes sense.

Both praised for tonality but criticized for having below average techs.

At 67 bucks, I'm not sure if I'd buy these given that the Hexa is 13 dollars more and probably beats the DT200 on techs.

You do get better accessories with the DT200 tho so that's something?

It's odd to me that Audiosense is also selling the DT100 but it costs almost the same as the DT200 for some reason.
Yea you get a hard case that you could possibly store smaller DAPs with DT200. Rest ld accessories are similar.

I disagree with DT200 as being referred to Yume.

Yume has mushy transients and the base DD is slow and lifeless as heck. That being called below average tech is agreeable, but DT200 has pretty good tech overall.
My conclusion on Yume after 2 years trying to save Yume, is it’s decently tuned warm-vocal focused neutral with below average technicalities , C+ IEM. DT200 probably will be around B+~A- range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back