The discovery thread!
Feb 26, 2023 at 4:33 PM Post #73,261 of 106,663
Feb 26, 2023 at 4:35 PM Post #73,262 of 106,663
Btw how is your M6 ultra vs K7? They are both having Asahi Kasei DAC inside. Which one do you prefer in terms of sound quality, put aside portability and price
K7 is more natural, M6 U has more “character”. Both operate at the same level, and above most dongles and tiny DAP like my AP80 Pro X.

When I review, I prefer K7 because it’s slightly warm and smooth but within the “neutral” zone. M6U sounds like some push and pull happen across the frequency response, so bass is thicker and punchier, midrange is a bit more forward (leading to stereo image overshooting the center of my head and moves above or behind), treble is a bit more rounded off. All of these are more subjective and might be product of something other than FR, since FR measurement of both should be flat from 20 to 40kHz (Hi-res).

Feb 26, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #73,263 of 106,663
Been interested for a while in getting a android based DAP, been very satisfied with the HIBY R3 Pro Saber 2022. But I have missed the streaming apps, making me use the phone with a dongle instead. Just ordered the R6 III hoping it will satisfy me as much sonically as the R3.

So much to chose from in DAPs and everyone has their own preference in brand.
The specs of R6 is quite futureproof with Android 12 4Gb RAM and snapdragon 665 chipset. And for $500 ain't to shabby.
PXL_20230124_075134503~2.jpg
Watch that battery! If you like a warm sound sig with bass emphasis and tamed highs, then you'll be good with staying with the Hiby, but like I said, watch the battery. I do miss my MSEB. My R2 died again.

Feb 26, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #73,264 of 106,663
So Campfire has a triple DD IEM that goes for $3,400!! So a little over $1,000 per DD. I have to wonder just how many they actually sold vs sending out free samples to reviewers? I like my dual DD Star River. $50.00? YEAH!

Feb 26, 2023 at 4:52 PM Post #73,265 of 106,663
Watch that battery! If you like a warm sound sig with bass emphasis and tamed highs, then you'll be good with staying with the Hiby, but like I said, watch the battery. I do miss my MSEB. My R2 died again.
Cheers, I'll keep it mind. My main rig will still be used most of the time so it will last me for a while.

Feb 26, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #73,266 of 106,663
So Campfire has a triple DD IEM that goes for $3,400!! So a little over $1,000 per DD. I have to wonder just how many they actually sold vs sending out free samples to reviewers? I like my dual DD Star River. $50.00? YEAH!

Folks at watercooler seem to love the trifecta. I don’t think campfire sends out review samples, unless you have a huge website :thinking:

Last time, I visited my local hifi store, they asked if I wanted to do the honor of unboxing the demo unit of trifecta. I was busy trying the monarch II and SP2000T again, so I completely forgot. I should be back with my coupler. They have Forte Blance too. Though I am the most interested in Final A5000 and Sennheiser IE200 atm

Edit: EAxEA Gaea tour unit is coming to my mailbox. Can’t wait to hear what a 2022 kilobuck can do. Will keep you posted

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2023 at 5:50 PM Post #73,267 of 106,663
Folks at watercooler seem to love the trifecta. I don’t think campfire sends out review samples, unless you have a huge website :thinking:

Last time, I visited my local hifi store, they asked if I wanted to do the honor of unboxing the demo unit of trifecta. I was busy trying the monarch II and SP2000T again, so I completely forgot. I should be back with my coupler. They have Forte Blance too. Though I am the most interested in Final A5000 and Sennheiser IE200 atm
Even Sea-Elf the real dual DD‘s sound pressure is already a borderline fatiguing, I can imagine three proper DD would do so much sound pressure and unison delivery, probably love & hate type experience, but interesting experiment. I’ll wait KZ to come up with 3 similar sized full DD combo someday😄

Feb 26, 2023 at 6:20 PM Post #73,268 of 106,663
Even Sea-Elf the real dual DD‘s sound pressure is already a borderline fatiguing, I can imagine three proper DD would do so much sound pressure and unison delivery, probably love & hate type experience, but interesting experiment. I’ll wait KZ to come up with 3 similar sized full DD combo someday😄

Well, trifecta already graphs like a KZ and, from the photos, they seems to be built like a KZ too with bubbles in the clear plastic and all that. I heard that trifecta has god-like soundstage so I will wait and hear. (But AUD $6k for an ear toy? I admire those who have enough spare income to afford these without thinking :dt880smile: )

When I listen to many CFA IEM, I always think that they are for those who want the sound of poor IEMs but with the shells and presentation of an expensive IEM. I mean fair enough, not everyone wants balanced tuning and tack sharp resolution.

Feb 26, 2023 at 6:41 PM Post #73,269 of 106,663
Speaking about Hakugei Sea-Elf, there was treble extension problem before, it was 60% due to the stock poor cable and 40% due to LCP’s burn-in to my impression, as well as overly emphasized mid-bass.

I was able to get treble extension on Sea-Elf by changing cable and ear tips to TRI Clarion with 100 hrs of white noises. Very slowcook material Sea-Elf is.

Now Sea-Elf is a very unique IEM in my collection.

▶︎Probably second most heaviest bass slamming IEM besides UM MEST MKII

▶︎It still has U-tuned with qdc style neutral mid approach

▶︎It does not need any amp, turn off amp and source line out directly from DAC

Timbre impression (Final)
Top Note
: Head skull knocking heavy bass slam
Middle Note: Sparkling and silky air
Bottom Note: Gentle vocal / instrument

Resolution is a little rough when compared to Titan S or Aria, but pretty decent when A-B tested with Lea/HOLA class other LCP ones.

I once mentioned I wanted to try out See Audio Bravery in a form of dynamic driver, and said that tuning does not work in DD set up, but after getting the air presence back, and somehow lowered mid-bass with cables&TRI Clarion, Sea-Elf is actually a Bravery‘s muscle relative that can do 300kg weightlifting.

A weird IEM that is hard to recommend for universal purpose, but it has very unique aura that can justify itself for someone got bored of “good“ and “academic“ sounding and seeking something that is playable and musically entertaining. It will deliver a ”wow” moment👀.

Sea-Elf’s raison de’tre will be
BE21979F-7B5C-4188-9338-19070BFD7BE9.png

▶︎Once fully executed, the fullsize dual LCP will render a very high sound pressure (more than Truthear ZERO or those 10mm+6-7.8mm sub DD unit) across all spectrum, mainly due to tonal balance mid-bass will have highest peak
x
▶︎Dual fullsize LCP’s layering will generate one more dimension on top of general texture surface, imaging depth is something that will be warranted.

Mid-bass heavy IEMs are sometime very useful in actuating “IMAX” movie theater chamber shaking heavy heavy bass vibration. I found Sea-Elf excels for tracks like these
https://tidal.com/track/131729675
https://tidal.com/track/222971113

High Sound Pressure x Thick Layering will be a perfect recipe for an immersive experience especially for acoustic genre. To modern music with already high gain mix tracks? Yea go ahead if you are looking for real band practice immersive experience in a studio or dancehall that has very strong JBL bass woofers. Basshead will be happy about the slamming quantity and quality.

Again it needs many steps, but it certainly is cookable material to an audiophile’s excitement.

Here is recipe:

▶︎After pairing Sea-Elf’s stock cable “Kuro” with 50+ IEMs, I concluded “Kuro” sucks so far, and blame Hakugei to ever couple Sea-Elf with Kuro. Just o forget about those DSP plugs and others, highly recommended to remove Kuro from Sea-Elf at Day0, get some other cables

▶︎Cook driver with pink noise

or this for very very long time (100hr+)

▶︎Switch eartip to TRI Clarion for lowering mid-bass and open up space in head room.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2023 at 6:46 PM Post #73,271 of 106,663
Well, trifecta already graphs like a KZ and, from the photos, they seems to be built like a KZ too with bubbles in the clear plastic and all that. I heard that trifecta has god-like soundstage so I will wait and hear. (But AUD $6k for an ear toy? I admire those who have enough spare income to afford these without thinking :dt880smile: )

When I listen to many CFA IEM, I always think that they are for those who want the sound of poor IEMs but with the shells and presentation of an expensive IEM. I mean fair enough, not everyone wants balanced tuning and tack sharp resolution.
Exaxtly. Couple of grant for expensive experiments is good investment offer for those who is benevolent enough to contribute such amount of money with same feeling like us buying a cup of coffee😄

As far as there is demand, supply continues, pretty fair business model they have.

Feb 26, 2023 at 6:48 PM Post #73,272 of 106,663
Lol we need an IEM that costs over $9000 for the meme.
You always have $20K USD Pure Gold TRN VX with aliexpress standard shipping😄

Feb 26, 2023 at 6:51 PM Post #73,273 of 106,663
Feb 26, 2023 at 6:58 PM Post #73,274 of 106,663
Hey folks, Symphonium Helios is having B stock and open box sale: https://www.symphoniumaudio.com/col...elios-open-box-b-stock?variant=41186720317491

I’m thinking about picking up one rather than Monarch II.
Nice! Hope it was Meteor. I’d probably bite that.

The Helios FR does look smooth and beautifully tuned. Yea probably a better choice considering popularity of those two, Monarch MKII has been sold hundreds but probably Helios only got less than 100. In a longer run, Helios surely will
be one of rare breed.

Feb 26, 2023 at 7:04 PM Post #73,275 of 106,663
Speaking about Hakugei Sea-Elf, there was treble extension problem before, it was 60% due to the stock poor cable and 40% due to LCP’s burn-in to my impression, as well as overly emphasized mid-bass.

I was able to get treble extension on Sea-Elf by changing cable and ear tips to TRI Clarion with 100 hrs of white noises.

Now Sea-Elf is a very unique IEM in my collection.

▶︎Probably second most heaviest bass slamming IEM besides UM MEST MKII

▶︎It still has U-tuned with qdc style neutral mid approach

▶︎It does not need any amp, turn off amp and source line out directly from DAC

Timbre impression (Final)
Top Note
: Head skull knocking heavy bass slam
Middle Note: Sparkling and silky air
Bottom Note: Gentle vocal / instrument

Resolution is a little rough when compared to Titan S or Aria, but pretty decent when A-B tested with Lea/HOLA class other LCP ones.

I once mentioned I wanted to try out See Audio Bravery in a form of dynamic driver, and said that tuning does not work in DD set up, but after getting the air presence back, and somehow lowered mid-bass with cables&TRI Clarion, Sea-Elf is actually a Bravery‘s muscle relative that can do 300kg weightlifting.

A weird IEM that is hard to recommend for universal purpose, but it has very unique aura that can justify itself for someone got bored of “good“ and “academic“ sounding and seeking something that is playable and musically entertaining.

Sea-Elf’s raison de’tre will be
BE21979F-7B5C-4188-9338-19070BFD7BE9.png
▶︎Once fully executed, the fullsize dual LCP will render a very high sound pressure (more than Truthear ZERO or those 10mm+6-7.8mm sub DD unit) across all spectrum, mainly due to tonal balance mid-bass will have highest peak
x
▶︎Dual fullsize LCP’s layering will generate one more dimension on top of general texture surface, imaging depth is something that will be warranted.

It will be very evident for tracks like this
https://tidal.com/track/222971113

High Sound Pressure x Thick Layering will be a perfect recipe for an immersive experience especially for acoustic genre.

Again it needs many steps, but it certainly is cookable material to an audiophile’s excitement.

Here is recipe:

▶︎After pairing Sea-Elf’s stock cable “Kuro” with 50+ IEMs, I concluded “Kuro” sucks so far, and blame Hakugei to ever couple Sea-Elf with Kuro. Just forget about those DSP plugs and others, highly recommended to remove Kuro from Sea-Elf at Day0, get some other cables

▶︎Cook driver with pink noise

or this for very very long time (100hr+)

▶︎Switch eartip to TRI Clarion for lowering mid-bass and open up space in head room.

The issue with the Sea-Elf isn't the bass or the resolution. It's the plasticky BA timbre that's one of the lower quality timbres of all my hybrids. Technically proficient IEM with terrible timbre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back