The discovery thread!
Jan 15, 2023 at 12:50 AM Post #71,146 of 100,723
I guess AFUL Performer 5 could get more attentions with FiiO’s FH18 eartips paired.

Nope, Awful P5 would get more attention if there is a video of Crinacle (whichever famous reviewer) making “wow“ face with some hyperbolic statement. At this rate, it would fall to obscurity quickly, at least around here.

CC433B3D-3889-4A48-BD2F-DB31919EFA5C.jpeg

I have done a few of my main A/B tests for writing the review of FH15. Can confidently say that it is 5/5 in soundstage imaging now, easily trades blows with my Andromeda (using Shanling M6U as source). I can also confidently say that it’s resolution is 4 or 4.5 at most. Very good, thoroughly enjoyable and even fairly impressive, but easily schooled by TOTL (Monarch II and now Andromeda 2020). Comparing to JD7, FH15 does a better job at “macro detail” or separation, but at least half step back in terms of micro details or “detail-retrieval”. There are nuances in voices and instruments that JD7 can pick out, but FH15 can’t . At the same time, the whole stereo image is crisper and cleaner with FH15 due to better separation.

(And that’s why “resolution” is such a difficult beast to describe. It’s not just one aspect).

The bass is quite well done (?) Forget the graph, these IEMs rumble more than JD7. I was surprised how much more it rumbles when I A/B with JD7 using Skyrim main theme and some old soundtracks from Final Fantasy 8. At the same time, FH15 out-punches Monarch II, as I mentioned last week. I don’t know. It seems solid 4/5 or even 5/5 for me in terms of bass.

Tuning feels correct. Nothing is out of place. No unusually thick and warm tuning like Andromeda. No thin and shrill tuning. The treble instruments (e.g., cymbals and chimes) are arguably a bit more quiet than “neutral”. Still, I consider the tuning neutral and correct. It’s good, but does not “touch” me the way JD7 feels. I say 4/5.

In general, if we judge purely by average score, I don’t think FH15 completely out-rank JD7. If we consider the price difference, FH15 would likely be ranked lower than JD7. Still, I can’t quite decide whether to use FH15 or JD7 solely from now (until a new flavor of the month appears and flips the table).

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2023 at 1:09 AM Post #71,147 of 100,723
I thought the Performer 5 was a popular IEM right now, Hifigo sent LOADS of demo units to various reviewers, everyone was hyping the P5 around a month ago.

I'm legit surprised Crinacle didn't hype the P5, the tonality is very much in line with his preferences.

Resolution is a can of worms IMO, I think it has to do with the sharpness of notes.

Louder music gives me the impression of higher detail but I then notice how less resolving sets have softer edges to their notes.

This is evident when I'm comparing the Dusk and FDX1 against my other sets, these two have sharper note definition than my other sets.

I could be totally wrong given how subjective the hobby is.

Jan 15, 2023 at 1:54 AM Post #71,148 of 100,723
I thought the Performer 5 was a popular IEM right now, Hifigo sent LOADS of demo units to various reviewers, everyone was hyping the P5 around a month ago.

I'm legit surprised Crinacle didn't hype the P5, the tonality is very much in line with his preferences.

Resolution is a can of worms IMO, I think it has to do with the sharpness of notes.

Louder music gives me the impression of higher detail but I then notice how less resolving sets have softer edges to their notes.

This is evident when I'm comparing the Dusk and FDX1 against my other sets, these two have sharper note definition than my other sets.

I guess each one of us geeks, reviewer or not, should have a consistent and clear definition within ourselves, regardless of whether we can verbalise it, about different aspects of sound. Of course, one doesn’t need that to enjoy a piece of head-fi gear. But then again, one doesn’t need to be a geek talking about head-fi gear as a hobby either :dt880smile:

Looking forward for my P5. It still hasn’t arrived. I had enough faith that I put my own money in for a unit. Finger crossed that it’s decent.

Jan 15, 2023 at 2:00 AM Post #71,149 of 100,723
Looking forward for my P5. It still hasn’t arrived. I had enough faith that I put my own money in for a unit. Finger crossed that it’s decent.
Tbh I do believe it is a good release. Problem is that many want everything from P5. It got mostly very good reviews but this is also considering the price point, also have a big feel that another release started to throw it in the shadow. Hexa, both of them being hybrid and having very good tuning.

Jan 15, 2023 at 2:19 AM Post #71,150 of 100,723
Jan 15, 2023 at 3:00 AM Post #71,151 of 100,723
Looks like JVC is really getting rid of their catalog of unsold stuff on DROP. The firesale continues:

https://drop.com/buy/ha-fw1000-tws-iem

JVC HA-FW1000 TWS​

For our friends who are into wireless gear.

$350 USD -> $149 USD

Wood drivers

1673769562642.png

Jan 15, 2023 at 4:07 AM Post #71,152 of 100,723
Jan 15, 2023 at 5:31 AM Post #71,153 of 100,723
Ah it comes with FiiO’s ear tip!
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mOvLCHU

6 pairs of premium ear tip + storage box for $4.99USD is a very good buy.

Also, you can further organize cables/ear tips by categories using this storage box.

SGHUO 3-Tier Stackable Storage Container Box https://a.co/d/f8c0lUF
I prefer spaghetti box like this to store my budget cables. Least space required and can be hidden in the drawer when needed.
Screenshot_20230115_182611_Gallery.jpg

Jan 15, 2023 at 5:41 AM Post #71,154 of 100,723
I wasted money on the S&S tips. The large aren't large. They are medium tips masquerading as large tips. Now a XL would be much better.
I wasted money only on the smaller sizes. L size is alright for me, but yeah I also hope they'll release XL. But it's ok as you never know whether a size will fit you.

Jan 15, 2023 at 5:41 AM Post #71,155 of 100,723
Instead of giving such comments, you should go and learn how to do it so you can buy any audio gears with the profits. Cheers.
Ahh yes an industry that lost over $2trillion last year is always a good place to start to make money…
Thanks for the tip. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

But why go learn someplace else when we have you - the Gordon Gekko of Crypto right here on the forum. Since your advice was to use a profit of over $1500 to buy those IEMs from Ethereum holds which lost 67% of their value last year (in a protocol that is highly volatile & leveraged, doesn't account for zombie wallets, and also houses a majority of Defi which was responsible for over $700m of fraudulent loses - hence contagion concerns). I would truely appreciate you sharing your stake, IRR, pricing strategy and hedges so that we can all better ourselves to achieve these results in a prudent risk weighted manner. I am sure with such results/forecasts you would have a lot of followers on tradingview and can provide the relevant charting...

Otherwise it is nothing more than hot air & big talk with claimed market outperformance more than verging on the unbelievable and advice firmly planted in the irresponsible - which no actual qualified investment professional would provide. Ohh yeah I forgot - that's actually how Crypto got into this mess...

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2023 at 5:52 AM Post #71,156 of 100,723
I wasted money only on the smaller sizes. L size is alright for me, but yeah I also hope they'll release XL. But it's ok as you never know whether a size will fit you.
Well you can have a very educated guess at it if they report measurements, which Dunu does

Jan 15, 2023 at 5:53 AM Post #71,157 of 100,723
Last edited:
Jan 15, 2023 at 6:17 AM Post #71,158 of 100,723
Ahh yes an industry that lost over $2trillion last year is always a good place to start to make money…
Thanks for the tip. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

But why go learn someplace else when we have you - the Gordon Gekko of Crypto right here on the forum. Since your advice was to use a profit of over $1500 to buy those IEMs from Ethereum holds which lost 67% of their value last year (in a protocol that is highly volatile & leveraged, doesn't account for zombie wallets, and also houses a majority of Defi which was responsible for over $700m of fraudulent loses - hence contagion concerns). I would truely appreciate you sharing your stake, IRR, pricing strategy and hedges so that we can all better ourselves to achieve these results in a prudent risk weighted manner. I am sure with such results/forecasts you would have a lot of followers on tradingview and can provide the relevant charting...

Otherwise it is nothing more than hot air & big talk with claimed market outperformance more than verging on the unbelievable and advice firmly planted in the irresponsible - which no actual qualified investment professional would provide. Ohh yeah I forgot - that's actually how Crypto got into this mess...
Oh..... and I was already thinking of dating Shakira (LOL) and had ordered a stax sr-x9000 and senn HE1, with all the money I was going to earn thanks to our humble new friend... nothing happens I will continue with my life!!!!!

I have absolutely no problem with TOLTs and their prices, and of course I am really glad that people can afford them and give their opinion about them, it contributes a lot to everyone and enriches and facilitates the decisions of others who value buying them. We can also know what is the midfi level compared to these flagships

Although all my interest today revolves around AÜR (I'm talking about IEM), what these guys have done is impressive and they set a new level for what for me is a tolt sound. I am looking forward to reading the opinions of the people in this thread who have them or have bought them

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2023 at 6:18 AM Post #71,159 of 100,723

If crinacle review these, i don't think he will rank them higher than Oxygen/Hana which is B+ ... One iem that lack definition won't catch crin attention, at all (one iem that do too well at everything won't get his attention, that is what i meant)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back