The discovery thread!
Jan 4, 2023 at 11:06 PM Post #70,456 of 104,610
Thanks for opening my eyes to this channel, he seems pretty even keeled for a reviewer. Definitely not like the hype monkeys we usually see roam this community.
Yes. This guy’s knowledge is simply put astonishing. An IEM storr manager with IEM as his personal hobby? Work x Hobby all into IEM world.

For example, this is his non-scripted raw voice narrative about KZ’s MST driver equipped ZEX and CRN,

Unfortunately since it is not scripted, no English CC available, but to summarize his point:

Background of sad story of ZEX and CRN(Zex Pro)

▶︎we know CRN and ZEX had some bashing from some about BA and MST not engaged enough, and only dynamic driver was producing the full range

▶︎KZ officially made comment about all drivers are reproducing the sound, it is just the arrangement of the volume among drivers (and of course it is idiotic if KZ jammed all those MST and BA for nothing but a decorative purpose)

▶︎ZEX and CRN had decent and pretty good reputations before that bashing but after all those modern SNS flaming event, ZEX and CRN were left in the dark places of the oblivion

Now his opinion

▶︎from someone dealing with thousands of IEM as a mean to earn primary source of income, the claim has arguable discussion points

1: there was some counter claims that someone killed the questioned two drivers in CRN (MST&BA) and noticed it totally sounded different, meaning the other two drivers were functioning

So we only remember the “bad voice” over other counter-claims due to the nature of modern SNS’s echo chamber effect.

2: my curiosity was toward, “What if CRN and ZEX had their MST and BA running at its full throttle?” Sadly KZ stopped MST equipped models after CRN bashing incident. I kept that somewhat unanswered curiosity for a while until the moment I noticed there is such a thing that runs all MST + BA + DD at their own full throttle.

Do you guys know that?

It’s a super minor brand, called Lafitear.
294BD01E-5A26-4760-ACB3-F25057B75114.png

Lafitear LF3 Pro

US $25.98 | Lafitear LF3pro LF3 pro HIFI 1DD+1BA+1EST Dynamic driver Hybrid In-Ear Earphones Earbuds Monitor
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mswDsIO

and Lafitear LF3+ (MST + DD)

What if we run MST, BA, and DD without any restrictions like KZ did to their ZEX and CRN?

The answer is “a hot mess”

▶︎the DD driver used in Lafitear isn’t like KZ’s one, it’s compact sounding and less high performing

▶︎BA and MST shall be same one used in both ZEX and CRN

so yes, if we run MST driver without any restrictions, to phrase it without any thoughts, it sounds like old chifi’s hysteric peaky treble that is extremely offensive.

3: the dynamic driver used for ZEX and CRN could be found on KZ’s TWS Z1 —American.S narrative: Yes I can confirm this as I have Z1 as well, just didn’t know it was the same driver — and this Z1 has very aggressive treble, to the extent some may feel that is almost old KZ V styled aggressiveness. Many may feel the treble of Z1 is almost uncomfortable. This is “uncontrolled” natural habit of DD uses for ZEX and CRN. During disassembling CRN there was a discussion about “negative phase” cancellation wave could be generated in order to offset this DD’s peak from BA —American.S narrative: for CRN I agree that it just sounded odd, and I could barely hear very familiar 30095 out of CRN, and this negative phase in peak nerf makes sense — so KZ tried to make balance using this negative phasing to meet Crin’s target curve.

4: after the KZ Z1 TWS, CCA released the one used the same dynamic driver with a BA, they arranged highpass filter to tone down the dynamic driver’s peak and replaced it with BA, it did sound better. Long story short, KZ/CCA already knows how to replace aggressive DD’s treble with their crossover and BA.

5: now back to ZEX and CRN, it seems KZ knew if they add MST to their existing 1BA+1DD, the treble without control will go wild as hell, so after engineering effor and attempts, they’ve decided to tone down the volume with maybe negative phasing of the BA or MST or both to make it balanced. And yes, it feels somehwat redundant and a waste of balanced armature, it does make sense when I listen carefully to CRN. Hmm that’s how KZ has done to tame the MST peaks🤔 It actually doesn’t sound “right” but it does its job as planned. A good engineering study material I feel CRN is.
—American.S narrative: ZEX has less interference that I can tell when compared to CRN—

So overall, when compared Lafitear with ZEX and CRN, it is very obvious that you can tell KZ had tuned MST in a better way.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2023 at 11:34 PM Post #70,457 of 104,610
DE target vs Sea-elf vs Hexa.jpg

Green = Hakugei Sea Elf (from marketing FR)
Purple = Truthear Hexa (credit to Super Review)

photoshopped by me to proper X Y axis

Jan 4, 2023 at 11:38 PM Post #70,458 of 104,610
Yes. This guy’s knowledge is simply put astonishing. An IEM storr manager with IEM as his personal hobby? Work x Hobby all into IEM world.

For example, this is his non-scripted raw voice narrative about KZ’s MST driver equipped ZEX and CRN,

Unfortunately since it is not scripted, no English CC available, but to summarize his point:

▶︎we know CRN and ZEX had some bashing from some about BA and MST not engaged enough, and only dynamic driver was producing the full range

▶︎KZ officially made comment about all drivers are reproducing the sound, it is just the arrangement of the volume among drivers (and of course it is idiotic if KZ jammed all those MST and BA for nothing but a decorative purpose)

▶︎ZEX and CRN had decent and pretty good reputations before that bashing but after all those modern SNS flaming event, ZEX and CRN were left in the dark places of the oblivion

Now his opinion

▶︎from someone dealing with thousands of IEM as a mean to earn primary source of income, the claim has arguable discussion points

1: there was some counter claims that someone killed the questioned two drivers in CRN (MST&BA) and noticed it totally sounded different, meaning the other two drivers were functioning

So we only remember the “bad voice” over other counter-claims due to the nature of modern SNS’s echo chamber effect.

2: my curiosity was toward, “What if CRN and ZEX had their MST and BA running at its full throttle?” Sadly KZ stopped MST equipped models after CRN bashing incident. I kept that somewhat unanswered curiosity for a while until the moment I noticed there is such a thing that runs all MST + BA + DD at their own full throttle.

Do you guys know that?

Lafitear LF3 Pro

US $25.98 | Lafitear LF3pro LF3 pro HIFI 1DD+1BA+1EST Dynamic driver Hybrid In-Ear Earphones Earbuds Monitor

What if we run MST, BA, and DD without any restrictions like KZ did to their ZEX and CRN?

▶︎the DD driver used in Lafitear isn’t like KZ’s one, it’s compact sounding and less high performing

so yes, if we run MST driver without any restrictions, to phrase it without any thoughts, it sounds like old chifi’s hysteric peaky treble that is extremely offensive.

3: the dynamic driver used for ZEX and CRN could be found on KZ’s TWS Z1 —American.S narrative: Yes I can confirm this as I have Z1 as well, just didn’t know it was the same driver — and this Z1 has very aggressive treble, to the extent some may feel that is almost old KZ V styled aggressiveness. Many may feel the treble of Z1 is almost uncomfortable. This is “uncontrolled” natural habit of DD uses for ZEX and CRN. During disassembling CRN there was a discussion about “negative phase” cancellation wave could be generated in order to offset this DD’s peak from BA —American.S narrative: for CRN I agree that it just sounded odd, and I could barely hear very familiar 30095 out of CRN, and this negative phase in peak nerf makes sense — so KZ tried to make balance using this negative phasing to meet Crin’s target curve.

4: after the KZ Z1 TWS, CCA released the one used the same dynamic driver with a BA, they arranged highpass filter to tone down the dynamic driver’s peak and replaced it with BA, it did sound better. Long story short, KZ/CCA already knows how to replace aggressive DD’s treble with their crossover and BA.

5: now back to ZEX and CRN, it seems KZ knew if they add MST to their existing 1BA+1DD, the treble without control will go wild as hell, so after engineering effor and attempts, they’ve decided to tone down the volume with maybe negative phasing of the BA or MST or both to make it balanced. And yes, it feels somehwat redundant and a waste of balanced armature, it does make sense when I listen carefully to CRN. Hmm that’s how KZ has done to tame the MST peaks🤔 It actually doesn’t sound “right” but it does its job as planned. A good engineering study material I feel CRN is.
—American.S narrative: ZEX has less interference and I can tell —

So overall, when compared Lafitear with ZEX and CRN, it is very obvious that you can tell KZ had tuned MST in a better way.

Those BA drivers are the bane of KZ it seems. KZ sounded decent with the DD alone and always had to fight the BA.

Jan 4, 2023 at 11:45 PM Post #70,459 of 104,610

Now his opinion

Do you guys know that?

294BD01E-5A26-4760-ACB3-F25057B75114.png

Lafitear LF3 Pro

—American.S narrative: ZEX has less interference and I can tell —

Speaking of opinion from store staffs, I always felt it’s kind of funny how the staffs are strongly against some internet opinions sometimes. For instance, they are strongly against the notion that Focal headphones breaks easily. In their words: “we have few cases, countable on one hand, where the headband snaps, among all Focal we sell. And if they snap, we exchange. So Focal = snapping is purely nonsense”

It’s not like we always see eye to eye though. I think Focal Bathys generic V shape, they think it sounds fantastic like a proper Focal. I think FH5s a nightmare. They bought themselves FH5s for birthday :dt880smile:

Jan 4, 2023 at 11:48 PM Post #70,460 of 104,610
Those BA drivers are the bane of KZ it seems. KZ sounded decent with the DD alone and always had to fight the BA.
It’s their pride to use Bellsing’s BA.
Or more business like long term supply agreement is in effect. And ZAS is getting pretty good, so maybe the next gen of Bellsing could catch up with Knowles at 95% performance. I feel right now they are still at 80%.

Like KZ doing with Planar, they could’ve shift to non-BA as well but still Planar is a minor niche driver to the vast majority, like todat’s EV vs Internal Combustion Engine vehicles. They still need to rely on BA segment for a while.

As you said, KZ could use Knowles BA like TRN did. We may be surprised if we see that this year, but not sure if they can source enough knowles drivers while ongoing litigation Between knowles and bellsing. Well TRN did, while using Bellsing, so it’s not impossible.

Even Sony moved to android with their DAP after long long period of trying with their internal operating system

Jan 4, 2023 at 11:51 PM Post #70,461 of 104,610

Green = Hakugei Sea Elf (from marketing FR)
Purple = Truthear Hexa (credit to Super Review)

photoshopped by me to proper X Y axis
Wow Sea-elf is Bravery curve…!

In advertisements phrase they quoted “thousands RMB(CNY) sound in a budget” so there are some intentions copying the qdc tuning.
4C8BB8BB-BD03-4B1D-98EF-FF43695DFCDD.png

Ok I’m in…order placed….

Thanks for the FR

Didn’t expect my wish over 5 exchangeable DSP finished product comes in less than a week since my year-end wishing.
Almost happy new year from USA!

Hope 2023 will be a great year for you all.

As Moondrop is making a new segment of wired IEM to PC/phones with DSP finish, this probably could get some new followers. I’ve been using Quarks DSP for year-end trip with family and found this simple solution is just very convenient and has huge potentials.

Hopefully more IEM brands offer modulated cable with DSP options(2.5/3.5.4.4/lightning/usb-c) in 2023.
Pic by Moondrop for Quarks DSP
74FB20AA-D6DB-4FA9-8DCA-C0F7B02D88FD.jpeg

After peeking Hakugei’s other IEM offering the flagship 4BA+1DD (Mist), another 4BA+1DD(midnight), 2BA+1DD? (Night sky), it seems Sea elf isn’t that distortion-less. Hakugei has been using their group delay spectrums and THD, linear phasing chart for other ones but this sea elf. Anyway, it’s good to have Bravery in an LCP form for sub$100 I’m all-in.

Here is Mist’s
5C1C0B92-AFDD-48CD-98B9-B9E309777AC9.jpeg

Midnight:
88C38B0E-500C-46A7-8C92-30B8A5098161.jpeg

Night sky:
E2AA9317-F037-4DDC-9785-773092C2C0F5.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2023 at 12:22 AM Post #70,462 of 104,610
Wow Sea-elf is Bravery curve…!
4C8BB8BB-BD03-4B1D-98EF-FF43695DFCDD.png

Ok I’m in…order placed….

Thanks for the FR

Didn’t expect my wish over 5 exchangeable DSP finished product comes in less than a week since my year-end wishing.

74FB20AA-D6DB-4FA9-8DCA-C0F7B02D88FD.jpeg
You're most welcome..

The bass shelf on sea-elf is better than bravery, on 200hz still below +5db, while bravery already "bloat" more than +5db, i know I'm very picky about bass, sorry for that.

The 5 interchangeable plug is something beneficial, but is they are going to put like some DAC on the usb c / lightning?
Or they just pass through and using phone DAC? Still don't understand this since usb C and lightning are digital plug while 3.5 and balanced are analogs.

Still on the fence of Hexa and Sea-elf, so tempting yet if think clearly i may not need them.
I almost out from the rabbit hole, but trust me, it is more difficult than what you think..

Jan 5, 2023 at 12:32 AM Post #70,463 of 104,610
You're most welcome..

The bass shelf on sea-elf is better than bravery, on 200hz still below +5db, while bravery already "bloat" more than +5db, i know I'm very picky about bass, sorry for that.

The 5 interchangeable plug is something beneficial, but is they are going to put like some DAC on the usb c / lightning?
Or they just pass through and using phone DAC? Still don't understand this since usb C and lightning are digital plug while 3.5 and balanced are analogs.

Still on the fence of Hexa and Sea-elf, so tempting yet if think clearly i may not need them.
I almost out from the rabbit hole, but trust me, it is more difficult than what you think..

There’s a dac in the USB C and Lightning plugs.

Jan 5, 2023 at 12:33 AM Post #70,464 of 104,610
P
You're most welcome..

probably the it has small DAC chip like those used in Moondrop’s Quarks DSP or formerly in those lightning small entry-level dongles
1D9DCDAC-135D-416A-9416-85B4C744D66A.jpeg

Yea have a sleep and next morning you will realize you actually didn’t really need it👀

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2023 at 12:56 AM Post #70,465 of 104,610
Thanks for opening my eyes to this channel, he seems pretty even keeled for a reviewer. Definitely not like the hype monkeys we usually see roam this community.
One friendly tip for viewing his reviews: web viewer for youtube is recommended; youtube app’s CC overlaps with original japanese CC.

Web:
5948AC0E-752E-4EEA-96A5-03713B0A44F7.jpeg

Youtube app:
55D32E47-528B-4536-9E5F-D890E2CFAFC4.png

Bonus for odd-ball lover: discovery!

Lafitear LM1 : KZ ZEX believer

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2023 at 1:06 AM Post #70,466 of 104,610
P

probably the it has small DAC chip like those used in Moondrop’s Quarks DSP or formerly in those lightning small entry-level dongles
1D9DCDAC-135D-416A-9416-85B4C744D66A.jpeg

Yea have a sleep and next morning you will realize you actually didn’t really need it👀

You know your guilty pleasure.
You clicked the buy button before you sleep.

Jan 5, 2023 at 2:19 AM Post #70,468 of 104,610
Jan 5, 2023 at 4:26 AM Post #70,470 of 104,610
Hi folks,

I bring you ... a dongle. ACMEE Magic Sound 4S. You can find the review on head-fi and my blog.

ACMEE 4S is an affordable dongle with a lot of loudness. If this dongle is the only option (and you don’t intend to listen very closely and compare), it’s not a poor choice.

Pros:
  • 4.4 balanced output
  • Plenty of loudness
  • No noise floor with sensitive IEMs
Cons:
  • Bright tuning
  • Closed-in soundstage
  • Lack of micro-details compared to top performers
ACMEE_summary.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back