The discovery thread!
Jan 3, 2023 at 9:04 AM Post #70,321 of 106,517
Definitely excited for this. Despite hating the form factor, my “good on the go source” is my Fiio Q3, which I know isn’t great compared to my Schiit Piety/Modi+ as a comparison but which doesn’t travel obviously. For more forgiving phones I use the BTR3k, which I think is a much better form factor. I use Roon ARC on an iPhone 12, and I really really want there to be a good DAP that just runs Roon ARC natively and smoothly. But I’d take a “This is the best Q3 equivalent” or dongle showdown.

very similar to my thoughts, i need a good source with power for my high impedances, but btr3K is my preferred form factor.

I still need a better DAP that at least has decent battery life.

20230103_145916.jpg
IMG_20220807_182537.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2023 at 9:23 AM Post #70,322 of 106,517
very similar to my thoughts, i need a good source with power for my high impedances, but btr3K is my preferred form factor.

I still need a better DAP that at least has decent battery life.

The Sony A55 DAP (after doing a Mr Walkman mod which is free) can get me 32 hours battery life - on FLAC files at moderate volumes.

Playing lossy stuff like Mp3s at lower volumes can even get the battery life longer!

Unfortunately, it doesn't have much power to drive low sensitivity/high impedance gear, and only has 3.5 mm single ended output, so that's a trade-off.

Jan 3, 2023 at 9:51 AM Post #70,323 of 106,517
7hz Zero vs Tanchjim Zero, Refrence vs "Tropical" signature. For me 7hz Zero tuned better to my ears, Tanchjim Zero while having more detail than 7hz Zero, suffering from grainy and edgy kind of treble, if tanchjim can tame 6khz a little and having a little bit more air then it will be an easy rec for me!

Jan 3, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #70,325 of 106,517
i see Tanchjim ZERO and raise you HZSound HeartMirror ZERO

What, Even HZ Sound shifted to Waifu strategy!? 😂

I have their old Heart Mirror and it was Sony/FiiO/UM/Apple/Bose style classy consumer brand ones.

But considering the price range they are competing maybe shifting target to younger ones maybe making sense.

It feels like the moment you see some legit Jedi turned to their dark-side🤔

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #70,326 of 106,517
Yes, I guess that resonance is coming from the wood that is open inside, creating a chamber like a guitar. Thus....it’s slightly amplified like many IEMs are, but in a select way? Perfect decays!

This is from when I took one apart.
11771382.jpg

Yeah, I think that’s what’s doing it. They remind me of the OH10 in that both have an inherent, musical resonance that comes from the shell material.

Jan 3, 2023 at 11:03 AM Post #70,327 of 106,517
i see Tanchjim ZERO and raise you HZSound HeartMirror ZERO

There are some review on facebook already, said that the first batch HM have the same tuning as HM Zero, if you have HM then don't need to buy this

Jan 3, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #70,328 of 106,517
There are some review on facebook already, said that the first batch HM have the same tuning as HM Zero, if you have HM then don't need to buy this
😅👍 
HeartMirror mirror OG = somewhat bright Harman typical CNT single DD
HeartMirror Pro = Warm Harman typical CNT single DD
HeartMirror Zero = somewhat bright harman typical CNT single DD

Jan 3, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #70,329 of 106,517
😅👍 
HeartMirror mirror OG = somewhat bright Harman typical CNT single DD
HeartMirror Pro = Warm Harman typical CNT single DD
HeartMirror Zero = somewhat bright harman typical CNT single DD
Probably because the Pro didn't get as much praise as OG :D

Jan 3, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #70,332 of 106,517
I'm not a big fan of orchestra, but i'm trying to atleast have a decent knowledge about them. If i hear the rest of orchestra sitting behind me (meaning string is upfront) is that a good thing? Or i have to turn my face 180°? I have to sleep but i keep thinking about it, do i really have to turn my iem sideway or something ?

Jan 3, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #70,333 of 106,517
I'm not a big fan of orchestra, but i'm trying to atleast have a decent knowledge about them. If i hear the rest of orchestra sitting behind me (meaning string is upfront) is that a good thing? Or i have to turn my face 180°? I have to sleep but i keep thinking about it, do i really have to turn my iem sideway or something ?

Sounds like you’re taking about sonic imaging and placement?

Generally you’ll hear instruments to your side, above and in front of you. It’s less common to perceive sound as coming from behind you, but it can happen depending on the IEM.

What IEMs are you listening to?

Jan 3, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #70,334 of 106,517
It’s up to preference maybe.

If those orchestral musics are movie soundtracks, they probably mixed with surrounding short reverb. (It’s not because mixer is an amateur for classical, because those tracks main purpose are for “background” music, meant not to interfere with the ongoing play/movie/drama on the main stage)

If it is a proper orchestra,
E.g.
Germany: Berliner Philharmoniker
Austria-Hungary: Vienna Philharmoniker
UK: London Symphony Orchestra
US: Boston Symphony Orchestra
Japan: NHK Symphony Orchestra

They most likely have properly recorded with a realistic forward imaging projection

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #70,335 of 106,517
Sounds like you’re taking about sonic imaging and placement?

Generally you’ll hear instruments to your side, above and in front of you. It’s less common to perceive sound as coming from behind you, but it can happen depending on the IEM.

What IEMs are you listening to?
I'm trying with EQ, but some how instead of in front of me, it goes behind me, maybe depend on the track i play. If i listen to the live one it sound like it should be but when i listen to recorded piece it sound behind, well well i guess my EQ was so strong that it turn my everything backward haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back