The discovery thread!
Nov 29, 2022 at 9:18 PM Post #67,996 of 100,510
Interestingly, same here. I think I have a couple of >= 4 stars recently. Most stuffs are adequate, and the “truely good” are getting cheaper fast. Good time to buy IEM for sure.

Yeah, but at some point don't you guys have to adjust your ratings to the progress of the market? If not then I don't see any way that they remain relevant. Clearly if the average IEM is better now than it was 5 years ago them 3 stars from five years ago don't mean the same thing as 3 stars today. If you don't make that adjustment at some point then you're giving yourself less and less of the scale to work with and in the end that will make your ratings much less effective IMO.

That said, you guys have probably thought about this much more than I have and I'm sure you're smart enough to have figured out or to figure out in the future what you plan to do.

Nov 29, 2022 at 9:23 PM Post #67,998 of 100,510
Yeah, but at some point don't you guys have to adjust your ratings to the progress of the market? If not then I don't see any way that they remain relevant. Clearly if the average IEM is better now than it was 5 years ago them 3 stars from five years ago don't mean the same thing as 3 stars today. If you don't make that adjustment at some point then you're giving yourself less and less of the scale to work with and in the end that will make your ratings much less effective IMO.

That said, you guys have probably thought about this much more than I have and I'm sure you're smart enough to have figured out or to figure out in the future what you plan to do.

My plan is shifting all entries down in a certain aspect (E.g. resolution) when the benchmark IEM has been surpassed. For instance, the day Andro becomes 4/5 because I have, say, Anni or Helios or something, is the day where all resolution ratings drop by 1 point.

But it’s a moot, since the relative rating remains unchanged (all 3/5 are more or less similarly resolving).

Anyway, back to the discovery topic :ksc75smile:

Nov 29, 2022 at 9:27 PM Post #67,999 of 100,510
is that composite big dd woofer and smol dd tweeter unit?

or suppose to be dual membrane dd?
i recently come across with Driver makers who advertise it, along with titanium composite LCP somehow.
I think it depends on the setup and the material. Quite often we see the smaller dd being used as the woofer perhaps with a softer materail so I imagine keeping it smaller can yield a smaller distortion.

Dual DD means two DDs I suppose as you can see from their exposed-view diagrams of the NX7 Pro, NX7 MK3 and MK4. Imagine hvaing two identical diameter DDs within the same enclosure, I think that would sound disastrous due to uncontrolled resonance.

Not sure about composite LCP but I think they have the center dome and the outer ring made of different materials but that's not a double DD setup.

Nov 29, 2022 at 9:33 PM Post #68,000 of 100,510

In Japanese gaming, what we do for ever-inflating “Strength”, and still provide sensible relative scales to users is redenomination.(https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redenomination)

If the original scale is 4 class system
Normal
Rare
High Rare
Super Rare
Then after we released all characters/weapons/units of those rank, and got enough payback, we need to introduce inflated “new pokemon”.

We will redenominate with new class SSR
Super-Super-Rare.

Then UR. (Ultimate Rare), and so on.
You will see in recent Dragon Ball, that now they have something Super Sayian God-Blue 😂 after they exhausted all Super Saiyan from 2- 5.

Maybe we can add 6 star and above…? It will be a night mare though. Next year after your good sabbatical from hifi crack. And you will be surprised seeing
★★★★★★★★★★
★★★★★★★★★★
★★★★★★★★★★
★★★★★★★★★★
★★★★★★★★★☆
Hyper inflation.

Nov 29, 2022 at 9:36 PM Post #68,001 of 100,510
In Japanese gaming, what we do for ever-inflating “Strength”, and still provide sensible relative scales to users is redenomination.(https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redenomination)

If the original scale is 4 class system
Normal
Rare
High Rare
Super Rare
Then after we released all characters/weapons/units of those rank, and got enough payback, we need to introduce inflated “new pokemon”.

We will redenominate with new class SSR
Super-Super-Rare.

Then UR. (Ultimate Rare), and so on.
You will see in recent Dragon Ball, that now they have something Super Sayian God-Blue 😂 after they exhausted all Super Saiyan from 2- 5.

Maybe we can add 6 star and above…? It will be a night mare though. Next year after your good sabbatical from hifi crack. And you will be surprised seeing
★★★★★★★★★★
★★★★★★★★★★
★★★★★★★★★★
★★★★★★★★★★
★★★★★★★★★☆
Hyper inflation.
fer **** sake, now we also have anime rank inflation in iems?
"hey, i'm A ranker. have some respect"
"Dude, shut up. She is SSS ranker"

Nov 29, 2022 at 9:37 PM Post #68,002 of 100,510
Imagine hvaing two identical diameter DDs within the same enclosure, I think that would sound disastrous due to uncontrolled resonance.
JH Audio would like a word with you :beyersmile:

Nov 29, 2022 at 9:50 PM Post #68,004 of 100,510
Which one? I mean within the same concentric enclosure not the shell.
JH audio lola: 2x4.9mm DD firing in push pull configuration. I don’t like these, but they do have quite a bit if following, afaik.

Nov 29, 2022 at 9:57 PM Post #68,005 of 100,510
JH audio lola: 2x4.9mm DD firing in push pull configuration. I don’t like these, but they do have quite a bit if following, afaik.
Oh intersting I saw setup like this before in a lower end IEM somewhere before. I think the magnets migth be far away enough and the two DDs are probably in antiphase. Haven't experiment with something like that myself and will never do so since I don't have the skill unless I buy myself a DLP 3D printer.

Nov 29, 2022 at 11:44 PM Post #68,006 of 100,510
I remember AT loved this push pull config, and for much cheaper than the $1,000+ Lola.

Nov 29, 2022 at 11:45 PM Post #68,007 of 100,510
Whatever happened to AT? I never hear about their IEM's anymore.

Nov 29, 2022 at 11:54 PM Post #68,008 of 100,510
The heavyweights from 5-10 years back that you no longer hear about in this hobby are AT, V-Sonic, Havi, JVC, and Brainwavz. POOF.

Nov 29, 2022 at 11:57 PM Post #68,009 of 100,510
AT has been surpassed a long time ago. The problem with Audio Technica is the very factory that would make their IEMs not only copied them but then they duplicated them and then became better at it. Audio Technica lost the game of innovation. They made some outstanding dynamic IEMs back in their best days but unfortunately those days are long gone.

Another issue with Audio Technica is they would always charge a premium for anything new they came up with that was worth listening to. That wore thin on a lot of folks that were collectors. The Chinese IEM market has quickly surpassed anything they made in the past and are now a long forgotten force in the industry. No one cares what they make now. You dont see Audio Technica at Can Jams or trade shows.

It seems their focus is no longer making innovating high end sounding IEMs. They probably recognized that it is the Chinese market that is dominating the audio world right now and probably gave up.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2022 at 12:04 AM Post #68,010 of 100,510
AT has been surpassed a long time ago. The problem with Audio Technica is the very factory that would make their IEMs not only copied them but then they duplicated them and then became better at it. Audio Technica lost the game of innovation. They made some outstanding dynamic IEMs back in their best days but unfortunately those days are long gone.

Another issue with Audio Technica is they would always charge a premium for anything new they came up with that was worth listening to. That wore thin on a lot of folks that were collectors. The Chinese IEM market has quickly surpassed anything they made in the past and are now a long forgotten force in the industry. No one cares what they make now. You dont see Audio Technica at Can Jams or trade shows.

It seems their focus is no longer making innovating high end sounding IEMs. They probably recognized that it is the Chinese market that is dominating the audio world right now and probably gave up.

AT has been making hay off the vinyl revival of the last few years. Their turntables have been and continue to be competitive in their market space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back