The discovery thread!
Oct 25, 2022 at 1:56 PM Post #66,151 of 103,555
mmexport1666709762360.jpg
mmexport1666709774138.jpg
There's actually another set. Don't know what it's gonna be however. But they all share the same bottom shell as the Timeless and Eternal.

These have a hinge and you can flip the metal cover over and double it up on one side, and expose a window... but why? Aesthetics only?

Well you can't call the design completely unhinged! :ksc75smile:

Oct 25, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #66,152 of 103,555
I thought only Audio Technica uses this connector.
Pretty much, and it seems unlikely they'd license that. What is the connector that MEE audio uses on their IEMs like the M6 Pro?

m6prog2-6.jpg

https://pro.meeaudio.com/m6pro.html

Oct 25, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #66,154 of 103,555
I know it might be just concepts but these are downright gorgeous. As a product designer I know I have a different look on some of these things but Jezus... someone decide to go all out. Loving the oriental styling here and the color choice is almost spot on in most cases. Only in the first picture the black-iridescent/burnt titanium is a bit questionable in terms color choice which I would change. The gray-blue/copper works a lot better in this respect due to the accents on the cable, but it's not as good as the others.
I know there will probably be some alterations in the final product but I don't think much change is needed in these designs. From a engineering standpoint it's not needed either, but these are definitely not cheap designs.

I'm not sure what connector it's using either, it's not a Linum T2 which is basically a better MMCX. Nor is a 2.5mm dc connector either as said above, too short and thin and it has a groove. If it something proprietary I do hope it gets swappable terminations so I don't have to hunt down some overpriced cable for it.

I did not need to see these after ordering the SA6 Ultra this morning, my wallet will cry.
At least these should be a good few months out so I have some time to recover. That is, if they are ever used.

Oct 25, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #66,155 of 103,555
Oct 25, 2022 at 7:36 PM Post #66,158 of 103,555
This may be the best $16 CAD audio dollars I've ever spent. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001580771091.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.41ab1802YPCD5V

I've got three new incoming IEMS 2 of which will require a long burn in cycle so I was looking for a relatively inexpensive dongle I could hook to an old phone and just let it run without having to occupy my normal desktop and portable gear. I settled on this thing because it claims to be 32 bit / 384khz and it allows charging / power + playback simultaneously. I just expected a nice little burn in rig. Well, color me impressed. I dont know what dac chip is in there or what amplification they use but this little thing sounds bloody good. I've used it with my Timeless, EJ07M, and two IMR units and they are all driven with plenty of power, plenty of detail and plenty of slam! I'm pretty happy. I just plug this thing into my tablet and now I can listen in bed to either music on UAPP streaming off my NAS or if I pull up a YT Vid I don't need to BT over to a dap.
I didn't think I'd be writing this.....

Attachments

• IMG_20221025_163027.jpg
    IMG_20221025_163027.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221025_163804.jpg
    IMG_20221025_163804.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 25, 2022 at 8:33 PM Post #66,161 of 103,555
These have a hinge and you can flip the metal cover over and double it up on one side, and expose a window... but why? Aesthetics only?
DD+planar+EST + open back / closed back, what else do you want? 😂

Was the railing absolute necessary?
Steampunk hi tech IEM to stomp Acoustune

Oct 25, 2022 at 8:41 PM Post #66,162 of 103,555
Please note that these are "concept" designs and might not even make it past that stage. So what you see here is just 7Hz going wild on the design board, but something that is very unlikely to come out without modifications.

The frames look like the balance wheel in a pocket watch.

Daring design like this is (in my opinion) welcome in the IEM world. Too many releases are essentially generic looking.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #66,163 of 103,555
DD+planar+EST + open back / closed back, what else do you want? 😂
For a full house I also expect Sonion AND Knowles BAs! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Daring design like this is (in my opinion) welcome in the IEM world. Too many releases are essentially genetic looking.
Furiously looking for a double helix IEM... Nope, best I can find is a twisted 2 core cable... strangely enough, I can't find a woven one anywhere!:ksc75smile:

I'll go and lie down now. Terminally bored, if you hadn't guessed. :thinking::zzz:

Oct 25, 2022 at 10:42 PM Post #66,164 of 103,555
So is Blon bl03 still a good buy after 3 years and 1 month?

If you value timbre and tonality over outright technicalities, yeah I think the BL-03 still is quite a special IEM for the organic and natural timbre it brings to the table. Granted, its has a very bad fit due to the short nozzles (necessitating some folk to do mods or get aftermarket eartips), and technically it is weak, but I still keep my BLON BL-03 and take it out for a spin now and then. A set to just relax to chill to music, and not to analyze gear or anything.

The BL-03 was one of the benchmark $20 IEMs when it came out, and it kinda made other CHIFI manufacturers buck up to catch up to the sound it could offer. Indeed, BLON has been trying to capture lightning in a bottle ever since then. Other than the BL-03 and the BL-05s (to some extent), the other BLONs were all flops or at best, sidegrades. In fact, the latest BLON release, the Z200, which is advertised to be a sequel to the BL-03, flopped badly; it featured an old school deep V shaped tonality of yesteryears, with a metallic timbre and even worse technicalities than the BL-03. Plus it came with a non-detachable cable!

Oct 25, 2022 at 10:44 PM Post #66,165 of 103,555
If you value timbre and tonality over outright technicalities, yeah I think the BL-03 still is quite a special IEM for the organic and natural timbre it brings to the table. Granted, its has a very bad fit due to the short nozzles (necessitating some folk to do mods or get aftermarket eartips), and technically it is weak, but I still keep my BLON BL-03 and take it out for a spin now and then. A set to just relax to chill to music, and not to analyze gear or anything.

The BL-03 was one of the benchmark $20 IEMs when it came out, and it kinda made other CHIFI manufacturers buck up to catch up to the sound it could offer. Indeed, BLON has been trying to capture lightning in a bottle ever since then. Other than the BL-03 and the BL-05s (to some extent), the other BLONs were all flops or at best, sidegrades. In fact, the latest BLON release, the Z200, which is advertised to be a sequel to the BL-03, flopped badly; it featured an old school deep V shaped tonality of yesteryears, with a metallic timbre and even worse technicalities than the BL-03. Plus it came with a non-detachable cable!
Maybe even BLON has no idea what went right with the 03 :beyersmile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back