The discovery thread!
Sep 17, 2022 at 5:06 AM Post #65,177 of 100,031
Has anyone got these yet?
I do!
Received them a couple of days ago but haven't had had the time yet to give them a good listen.
Sampled them quickly when I received them and really liked what I heard, especially for the price, but I'm no critical listener, so don't take my word for it.

Sep 17, 2022 at 7:48 AM Post #65,178 of 100,031
I do!
Received them a couple of days ago but haven't had had the time yet to give them a good listen.
Sampled them quickly when I received them and really liked what I heard, especially for the price, but I'm no critical listener, so don't take my word for it.
Your vote for "didn't sound awful", still counts! :L3000:

Sep 17, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #65,179 of 100,031
I do!
I dont consider myself a critical listener too. For the price, it'll be enough for me if it's a proper bl03 successor.

Sep 17, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #65,180 of 100,031
I'm really curious to read your impressions. If you pair with an Android for LDAC playback you need the AI Life app and switch on Smart HD and then set the bluetooth connection setting to best sound quality instead of stable connection.
I've been using the Huawei FreeBuds Pro 2 trough out the day and I've got some first observations after about 7 hours of listening so take this with a grain of salt.

These sound surprisingly natural for a TWS, normally with ANC there is something that messes with the sound but Huawei got it right here. It doesn't impact the sound in any noticeable way or degrade the sound quality, which is really nice to finally get in a TWS. I haven't played enough with the different EQ's to really be able to comment on it other than that do as they say and that the treble setting makes the FreeBuds Pro 2 sound clean.

The FreeBuds Pro 2 don't beat the likes of the 7Hz Timeless or Moondrop Kato. No TWS can get close to them... No TWS is supposed to get close to them.
But somehow the FreeBuds Pro 2 do. These get scary close to the Kato at times. It can't quite equal it though. The Timeless is out of reach and that should be no surprise, very few IEM's at this price can even hope to compete with that. But you do get that nice planar treble in a lesser quantity. Detail retrieval is also pretty good, it's no Timless but it's good enough at it's price.

They're not perfect, nothing is. They fall flat on their face with metal or other similarly busy music. Then again IEM's always struggle with metal, even the Kato struggles with it. The fact that it's a BT device doesn't help here either.

20220917_224852_HDR~2.jpg

For now I can say that the Huawei FreeBuds Pro 2's are good. Not just good for a TWS, good full stop. These TWS can actually compete in the €150~€200 IEM segment. They are not your best option there, but still, a TWS has no business competing in that segment. I would not mind paying the €200 for a wired pair of these. They are worth the money Huawei is asking for them and then some.

Sep 17, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #65,181 of 100,031
1663449652853.png

Kind of wondering what cable is included with the HZSound Heart Mirror Pro as there is no selection for the cable type. If it's dependent on the color you select (silver is shown with swappable terminations and black with mic) or if both are included in the box. Guess we'll see as my Heart Mirror Pro's have just shipped.

1663449928300.png
1663449937405.png

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #65,182 of 100,031
Celest Gumiho (CG) impressions after two-day listening

Overall impressions
are very positive: matched my sound preference very well, being responsive, capable, agile, resolving, smooth and light.

Two main points to emphasize in the overall context of impressions:

1. I strongly feel that it is more logical to compare CG with DD-BA hybrids rather than planar IEMs, since the planar driver in CG effectively replaces DD. For instance, I have Dioko and it feels quite different from CG. At the same time, while the CG has a lot of similarities with DD-BA hybrids, the main difference is CG being faster and agile planar driver in CG and its prominent custom BA.

2. 9-Ohm impedance makes CG very source sensitive. Hence, a large section below deals with the selection of sources and the effect of impedance adapters.

Equipment used:
Sources: largely DACs: Tempotec E44 & BHD, E1DA SG3, Shanling UA2, Apple dongle; few DAPs.
An original cable (very decent 0.5 Ohm impedance) was tested, as well as a balanced one used for several sources.
Different impedance adapters: variable from ~0 to 100 Ohm (more than 30 Ohm may not be needed based on my trials).
Wide-bore tips – the bore is wider than the nozzle diameter to minimally constrain/attenuate the sound.

Packaging: really impressive and totally made my day, as I posted previously – beautiful artwork with the attention to every detail: a very good functional cable with impeccable colour coordination to both black and white models, a useful thick pouch with the clasp, and a nice bookmark with a large artistic image of the nine-tailed fox. Beautiful and very impressive for $49 IEM!
20220916_181801.jpg

Shell construction: plastic, very solid, well crafted as a one-piece without noticeable seams with a good lacquer-like overcoat that does a good job being similar to black lacquered wood. Very light. Metal would hardly work for this shell, in my opinion

The nozzle grills may be a bit too dense, so they can possibly attenuate sound (I have not yet checked for filters given the sound is light and agile) and be more prone to soiling (?); the time will tell.

Fit: the shells are quite small, one of the smallest that I own. They should work great for smallerp ears (plus CG’s selection of tips that include ultra small ones). For my bigger ears I had to use larger-diameter tips – 14-14.5 mm. I can listen to CG all day, while HZ Mirror is a bit more comfortable for me due to its more fitting shape.

Burn-in: did not feel needed, and that it made any difference; hardly changed for around 20 hrs.

Experimenting with the sources:
A very important part again. Low impedance of IEMs can be demanding to the sources on the current side. Using impedance adapters then can affect the sound more, especially for multiple drivers, as it is the case for CG. On a positive side, it gives good opportunities to experiment with the sources to find the right match/synergy. On a darker side, the initial sound signature of the first listening attempt may be not to one’s liking, so experimenting is needed.

To tell briefly my story: CG worked surprisingly well right out of my older S10 (not the case with the most of my other IEMs; likely due to a bit higher impedance). Then an Apple Dongle did not take 9 Ohm well at all; 9 Ohm is far from its ideal 32 Ohm load usually used to show the measurements how great it is. Other revealing low-impedance sources, such as Tempotec E44, did not feel like a good match either; then working much better with the impedance adapter (5-30 Ohm felt to be the most instructive range). Having variable impedance adapters (amateurly home-made inspired by tge AS16 pro experience) actually made me dare to buy an 9-Ohm IEM after all. Increasing load impedance with CG starts to bring more bass/mids of the planar over more details of BAs (opposite to AS16 pro).

Getting back to sources: darker, more covered sources seem to work better. BHD feels as a better match than E44, and then Shanling UA2 (not my favourite DAC usually) matched quite well without using adapters.

Impression of the drivers: I really like the Kinera custom BA a lot! It feels to be centered more around upper mids, not super extended, but nicely resolving without the sibilance and overall making more favourable impressions than many similar Knowles BAs. The Kinera BA also did not feel overly dampened like some Sonions, while it sounds noticeably less “BA” in terms of being dry and granular. Then the match with the planar driver is nice, the driver frequency overlap is likely broad. So I could not hear the driver junction that are a common limitation of two-driver hybrid IEMs. The planar driver is fast and agile, I really like it replacing a DD. Planars are commonly described as being in-between BAs and DDs: with more speed and agility similar to BAs, while offering better weight and decay closer to DDs. The Kinera planar does not feel heavy or massively sounding at all to me – an advantage to some (as myself), and a limitation to others.

Overall timbre: may not be winning awards, especially at first listening session without more careful source/impedance matching, but did not feel having any critical faults, so it can likely be tailored well to one's preferences with a good effort. Kinera’s BA and planar seem to work well together, so the right source and EQ-ing can work wonders for choosing your favourite “right tail” out of nine of this fox :)

Bass is not heavy, not overwhelming, while all the frequency range is there without either sub-bass or mid-bass emphasis to my ears. Not much of the slam of DDs, so not likely suitable for bass-heads; I can listen to organ reproduced fairly well without equalizing, while it would not be my first-choice IEM to listen to bass-heavy music. In addition, I tried Rammstein for some idea of metal, I am OK with how it sounds, but I am far from a bass-head.

Mids: while not V-shaped to my ears, two drivers are still centered at their respective ends, so some thinness can be experienced, given overall lightness and agility. CG is not a mid-centric IEM to me, like some IEMs with 29689 Knowles, for instance.

Treble: well resolving, not overly extended, but perfectly sufficient to enjoy most of the genres, the KInera BA does a very good job there, in my opinion.

Selected comparisons:
From some older hybrids, Fiio F1H does not feel much of a match; F9 pro have more extended near-piercing treble, while CG is smoother and more coherent.

Compared to all-BAs, such as KZ BA10 and AS16 pro, CG feels noticeably smoother (minimal “BA character) while nearly as resolving and less prone to sibilance.

Dioko is a quite different IEM to me with its extended sub-bass and the last octave. Dioko feels more resolving and analytical, while GC smoother and more engaging. Dioko fit is also one of the hardest for me; and the shell aesthetics is more arguable.

TRI I3 may offer a quite relevant comparison, being a tribrid with a DD, planar and BA. CG’s BA is definitely superior in capability and extension to me; I3 mids are smoother (being exceptionally buttery smooth) and more substantial (very nice planar implementations); while CG doing very well in terms of smoothness. Finally, subjectively I like lighter and more agile bass of CG more (many may disagree). Overall, I3 is a more capable IEM sold almost for 3 times more; while CG holding its own in this comparison to me.

HZ Mirror: there is some similarity in being agile and light in their sound signatures, but the drivers are different; CG is more resolving to my ears. The bass is comparable in lightness, I like both very much. So those who like HZ mirror may like CG, with potential problems being the timbre of a hybrid vs. a well-designed single DD.

Blon BL03 is quite different; CG can serve as a nicely complimentary pair that is very different with the superior resolution being a major upgrade, and relatable smoothness; while Blon’s organic timbre is definitely unique.

I will be happy to provide more comparisons from what I own.

In lieu of disclaimer: purchased with my own funds, no any discounts. My first Kinera; not affiliated with them in any way; could not resist trying an affordable planar-BA hybrid (an official version is acquiring cultural art work, see P.S.S); spent quite a bit time to share my positive impressions of GC.

Summary:
Pros: Two capable drivers working well together, agile and responsive, well resolving without sibilance; takes EQ well and can be tailored by the source choice. Very nice package and accessories.
Cons: Source-sensitive, the sound signature is not heavy; not likely for bass-heads.

P. S. Edited for typos, and I apologize for many more likely left unnoticed.

P. S. Thank to @baskingshark for first bringing this IEM to my attention (that what good HeadFi-iers are for, right), as well as introducing the captivating folklore of the nine-tailed fox before making this acquisition justified on the grounds of cultural exploration, which overall worked well in all senses :)

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2022 at 6:49 PM Post #65,183 of 100,031
Thanks for the headsup!

Well based on the store provided graph (if trustable), it looks very different from the original Heart Mirror. This Pro version has much more bass, a 10 dB pinna gain and less treble than the original!

Graph.jpg
It looks that they're trying to make it more approachable for listeners, but IMO it's wrong way to go. Original HM were unique, definetly not universal IEM, but it's hard to find tuning like this in this price range. With updated tuning HZSound is entering a huge sub-100$ market with so many strong contenders. Personally I would like to see Heart Mirror in different shape, with smoother high frequencies (just a bit!) and switches to add some bass (2nd tuning could be BLON BL-05S alike).

Sep 17, 2022 at 7:26 PM Post #65,184 of 100,031

Overall impressions
are very positive: matched my sound preference very well, being responsive, capable, agile, resolving, smooth and light.

1. I strongly feel that it is more logical to compare CG with DD-BA hybrids rather than planar IEMs, since the planar driver in CG effectively replaces DD. For instance, I have Dioko and it feels quite different from CG. At the same time, while the CG has a lot of similarities with DD-BA hybrids, the main difference is CG being faster and agile planar driver in CG and its prominent custom BA.

2. 9-Ohm impedance makes CG very source sensitive. Hence, a large section below deals with the selection of sources and the effect of impedance adapters.

Equipment used:
Sources: largely DACs: Tempotec E44 & BHD, E1DA SG3, Shanling UA2, Apple dongle; few DAPs.
An original cable (very decent 0.5 Ohm impedance) was tested, as well as a balanced one used for several sources.
Different impedance adapters: variable from ~0 to 100 Ohm (more than 30 Ohm may not be needed based on my trials).
Wide-bore tips – the bore is wider than the nozzle diameter to minimally constrain/attenuate the sound.

Packaging: really impressive and totally made my day, as I posted previously – beautiful artwork with the attention to every detail: a very good functional cable with impeccable colour coordination to both black and white models, a useful thick pouch with the clasp, and a nice bookmark with a large artistic image of the nine-tailed fox. Beautiful and very impressive for $49 IEM!
20220916_181801.jpg

Shell construction: plastic, very solid, well crafted as a one-piece without noticeable seams with a good lacquer-like overcoat that does a good job being similar to black lacquered wood. Very light. Metal would hardly work for this shell, in my opinion

The nozzle grills may be a bit too dense, so they can possibly attenuate sound (I have not yet checked for filters given the sound is light and agile) and be more prone to soiling (?); the time will tell.

Fit: the shells are quite small, one of the smallest that I own. They should work great for smallerp ears (plus CG’s selection of tips that include ultra small ones). For my bigger ears I had to use larger-diameter tips – 14-14.5 mm. I can listen to CG all day, while HZ Mirror is a bit more comfortable for me due to its more fitting shape.

Burn-in: did not feel needed, and that it made any difference; hardly changed for around 20 hrs.

A very important part again. Low impedance of IEMs can be demanding to the sources on the current side. Using impedance adapters then can affect the sound more, especially for multiple drivers, as it is the case for CG. On a positive side, it gives good opportunities to experiment with the sources to find the right match/synergy. On a darker side, the initial sound signature of the first listening attempt may be not to one’s liking, so experimenting is needed.

To tell briefly my story: CG worked surprisingly well right out of my older S10 (not the case with the most of my other IEMs; likely due to a bit higher impedance). Then an Apple Dongle did not take 9 Ohm well at all; 9 Ohm is far from its ideal 32 Ohm load usually used to show the measurements how great it is. Other revealing low-impedance sources, such as Tempotec E44, did not feel like a good match either; then working much better with the impedance adapter (5-30 Ohm felt to be the most instructive range). Having variable impedance adapters (amateurly home-made inspired by tge AS16 pro experience) actually made me dare to buy an 9-Ohm IEM after all. Increasing load impedance with CG starts to bring more bass/mids of the planar over more details of BAs (opposite to AS16 pro).

Getting back to sources: darker, more covered sources seem to work better. BHD feels as a better match than E44, and then Shanling UA2 (not my favourite DAC usually) matched quite well without using adapters.

Impression of the drivers: I really like the Kinera custom BA a lot! It feels to be centered more around upper mids, not super extended, but nicely resolving without the sibilance and overall making more favourable impressions than many similar Knowles BAs. The Kinera BA also did not feel overly dampened like some Sonions, while it sounds noticeably less “BA” in terms of being dry and granular. Then the match with the planar driver is nice, the driver frequency overlap is likely broad. So I could not hear the driver junction that are a common limitation of two-driver hybrid IEMs. The planar driver is fast and agile, I really like it replacing a DD. Planars are commonly described as being in-between BAs and DDs: with more speed and agility similar to BAs, while offering better weight and decay closer to DDs. The Kinera planar does not feel heavy or massively sounding at all to me – an advantage to some (as myself), and a limitation to others.

Overall timbre: may not be winning awards, especially at first listening session without more careful source/impedance matching, but did not feel having any critical faults, so it can likely be tailored well to one's preferences with a good effort. Kinera’s BA and planar seem to work well together, so the right source and EQ-ing can work wonders for choosing your favourite “right tail” out of nine of this fox :)

Bass is not heavy, not overwhelming, while all the frequency range is there without either sub-bass or mid-bass emphasis to my ears. Not much of the slam of DDs, so not likely suitable for bass-heads; I can listen to organ reproduced fairly well without equalizing, while it would not be my first-choice IEM to listen to bass-heavy music. In addition, I tried Rammstein for some idea of metal, I am OK with how it sounds, but I am far from a bass-head.

Mids: while not V-shaped to my ears, two drivers are still centered at their respective ends, so some thinness can be experienced, given overall lightness and agility. CG is not a mid-centric IEM to me, like some IEMs with 29689 Knowles, for instance.

Treble: well resolving, not overly extended, but perfectly sufficient to enjoy most of the genres, the KInera BA does a very good job there, in my opinion.

Selected comparisons:
From some older hybrids, Fiio F1H does not feel much of a match; F9 pro have more extended near-piercing treble, while CG is smoother and more coherent.

Compared to all-BAs, such as KZ BA10 and AS16 pro, CG feels noticeably smoother (minimal “BA character) while nearly as resolving and less prone to sibilance.

Dioko is a quite different IEM to me with its extended sub-bass and the last octave. Dioko feels more resolving and analytical, while GC smoother and more engaging. Dioko fit is also one of the hardest for me; and the shell aesthetics is more arguable.

TRI I3 may offer a quite relevant comparison, being a tribrid with a DD, planar and BA. CG’s BA is definitely superior in capability and extension to me; I3 mids are smoother (being exceptionally buttery smooth) and more substantial (very nice planar implementations); while CG doing very well in terms of smoothness. Finally, subjectively I like lighter and more agile bass of CG more (many may disagree). Overall, I3 is a more capable IEM sold almost for 3 times more; while CG holding its own in this comparison to me.

HZ Mirror: there is some similarity in being agile and light in their sound signatures, but the drivers are different; CG is more resolving to my ears. The bass is comparable in lightness, I like both very much. So those who like HZ mirror may like CG, with potential problems being the timbre of a hybrid vs. a well-designed single DD.

Blon BL03 is quite different; CG can serve as a nicely complimentary pair that is very different with the superior resolution being a major upgrade, and relatable smoothness; while Blon’s organic timbre is definitely unique.

In lieu of disclaimer: purchased with my own funds, no any discounts. My first Kinera; not affiliated with them in any way; could not resist trying an affordable planar-BA hybrid (an official version is acquiring cultural art work, see P.S.S); spent quite a bit time to share my positive impressions of GC.

Summary:
Pros: Two capable drivers working well together, agile and responsive, well resolving without sibilance; takes EQ well and can be tailored by the source choice. Very nice package and accessories.
Cons: Source-sensitive, the sound signature is not heavy; not likely for bass-heads.

P. S. Thank to @baskingshark for first bringing this IEM to my attention (that what good HeadFi-iers are for, right), as well as introducing the captivating folklore of the nine-tailed fox before making this acquisition justified on the grounds of cultural exploration, which overall worked well in all senses :)

Thanks for the impressions. I should buy this one for reviewing :thinking:

Sep 18, 2022 at 3:34 AM Post #65,186 of 100,031

Overall impressions

Equipment used:

20220916_181801.jpg

Selected comparisons:

Summary:

Thank you for your impressive early impressions on the Kinera Celest Gumiho, which were detailed and informative.

My question is on the faceplate artwork, is it etched on or simply a sticker? Based on your write up, Kinera has done a good job on the sound quality and that is what matters.

I am drawn to the plain (no artwork on the faceplate) but given your praise for the artwork, I may be tempted to go for that option, if it is not a sticker which might come off in a few days.

Sep 18, 2022 at 3:54 AM Post #65,187 of 100,031
Thank you for your impressive early impressions on the Kinera Celest Gumiho, which were detailed and informative.

My question is on the faceplate artwork, is it etched on or simply a sticker? Based on your write up, Kinera has done a good job on the sound quality and that is what matters.

I am drawn to the plain (no artwork on the faceplate) but given your praise for the artwork, I may be tempted to go for that option, if it is not a sticker which might come off in a few days.
The Kinera facebook page mentioned some problem with the finish on the white versions. That would also explain why the white ones have been unavailable at the Kinera Official Store.
More reviews should start to roll in, now that people have started to receive them! :L3000:

Sep 18, 2022 at 4:51 AM Post #65,188 of 100,031

Overall impressions

Equipment used:

20220916_181801.jpg

Selected comparisons:

Summary:

Thanks for the impressions. Which genres do you mostly listen to?

Sep 18, 2022 at 7:50 AM Post #65,189 of 100,031
Received these today:
S6.png

Akoustyx S6, studio reference tuned planar magnetic IEM.

Lack of info aside from the company's own page had me a little concerned, but on first impression they seem pretty good.

Diameter of the housing is pretty much identical to bullet-style Etymotics (7mm). Driver must be tiny. Recognisably planar sound though. Slick.
Housing seems to be identical or near-identical to their R210/R220 BA IEMs.

S6_er4sr.png

Quick initial comparisons:

Next to the Etymotic er4sr, the S6 has quite a bit more sub-bass. Bit much for a DF-head like myself, so I'm EQing the sub-100hz region down a notch. Further up the tuning seems roughly in the same ballpark. More extended in the upper treble I think. Good stuff.

Next to the Letshuoer S12, the tuning of the S6 is far more well-behaved (I find the S12 pretty much unlistenable without yanking the bass way down and cleaning up the sizzle in the treble, so that's a low bar to pass.) I don't feel qualified to talk about technicalities like detail and imaging and such, but on first impression I don't notice a big gap one way or the other (and that's not a low bar to pass, cause aside from tuning I find the S12 quite excellent). The S6 does sound more spatial to me, but that could as well be due to the tuning.

Included tips seem decent enough, and I like how they colour-match with the housings (red/blue cores matching the red/blue bands on the housing), but the largest ones are still a hair too small for me. Ety tips don't fit cause the nozzle is much wider. Found another good fit in my tip collection though.

I think I'll be listening to these a lot.

Sep 18, 2022 at 9:14 AM Post #65,190 of 100,031
Another $20 USD IEM has just been released, the BGVP Scale.

Seems to be a 2DD IEM. Comes with MMCX connectors. Self-proclaimed to be "KING LEVEL" tuning.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004757727630.html

A9efbb7a0a20e43768fe73d90d31f9f845.jpg

A44411074ccf14476b6972d237f86bd68f.jpg

Capture.JPG

Adc648854bc154f279b6b28710eb65dcch.jpg

Store provided graph looks suspiciously stretched.

Question is, do you need another $20 ultra budget IEM?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back