The discovery thread!
Dec 16, 2021 at 12:36 AM Post #61,201 of 100,524
Might surprise you but I have never heard a single KZ earphone. Never ventured there. They certainly produce a myriad of earphones. Seems to be an earphone factory for KZ. I did once buy a TRN earphone which the group has some ties to KZ and their manufacturing OEM factory is the same. TRN VX was enough to let me know it is not worth my time to explore. Was the single worst sounding earphone I have ever experienced. I know a lot of the folks here that read this thread like thier KZ stuff. This is the active KZ thread you can certainly ask here https://www.head-fi.org/threads/knowledge-zenith-kz-impressions-thread.698148/
I was recently invited by a friend for a meetup to audition his collections of KZ and CCA stuffs, wasn't too impressed with the lot except with his ZEX, it reminded me of the JVC HA-FXZ200, balanced across the spectrum but bass punches really deep with material that calls for it. The JVC were hard to sleep with (not to mention fear of breaking the cables)
For me, the KZ ZEX was a nice entry into the world of proper TWS with the addition of an AZ09 Bluetooth module as so far, all the wireless stuffs I've heard just didn't cut it as audiophile for me.

Dec 16, 2021 at 2:21 AM Post #61,202 of 100,524
Maybe we should create a thread called 'The Re-Discovery Thread - a blast from the past'.

Opened my drawer - ah there they (FX40) are. Popped them in and - hmmm. My taste has changed over the years for sure.

Looks like I keep digging in my drawer today, so thank you for that, it will be fun.

Cheers.
Did they startle you with the CRACK CRACK CRACK treble drums hits? LOL

Dec 16, 2021 at 3:34 AM Post #61,203 of 100,524
Effect Audio Axiom: First Impressions

Hits:

• Premium Build
  • Extension on both ends
  • Treble Resolution
  • Balanced Tuning

Misses:

• Fit and Shell Ergonomics
  • Lack of Acessories
  • Upper Midrange

Disclaimer:

The Effect Audio Axiom, and a bundled Effect Audio Maestro were sent to me as part of Effect Audio’s “World Tour”. These are here for 14 days, and I will have to pass them on to the next person in the tour afterwards, I receive no incentive for making these impressions and the following review, rest assured that I will do my best to stay as “The Dependable Audiophile”.

Introduction:

The Axiom are Effect Audio’s first IEM and a standard bearer for their new push on “Sustainability, Versatility and Experience”. In light of this, the Axioms do not come with a stock cable included in the box, perhaps a head-scratching decision at first, especially from a cable company. However, I do accept their reasoning as quite valid myself. If you’re spending 1500 USD on an IEM, more likely than not, you likely have a few IEM cables lying around or perhaps even an Effect Audio or some other premium cable, meaning that a stock cable would indeed just collect dust. The Axiom also has a modular design that allows for both 2-pin and MMCX cables to be used, further affording owners with versatility down the line.

Unboxing:

The Axiom’s came in a generic recycled cardboard outer box for protection, and the main internal box is a rather small square of carboard. The packaging seems to mostly be made of recycled cardboard, which is definitely in line with their message of “Sustainability”, although this does make me question why the outer sleeve had to be torn open instead of being reusable. The included documentation is minimal, and the owner’s manual and details on the background of the Axiom are given as scannable QR codes instead of as physical copies, which I think is a nice touch.

No foam seems to have been used in the entirety of the package, which I feel is quite a good environmental choice but the stacked carboard layers that the IEMs and tips are nestled in doesn’t feel the best. Still, a worthy trade off in my opinion. Also, underneath everything is a nice bag of what seems to be tea leaves, which do indeed smell quite nice, which was a pleasant departure from the usual smell of industrial plastic I’ve come to expect from Chi-Fi packaging.

I can’t help but feel conflicted on the packaging. If I’m spending 1500 USD on an IEM I would prefer to have a nice box indeed, but I do understand this path. If I may propose an alternative though, a high-quality plastic box that doubles as a transport/carrying case might be another option, adhering to reuse instead of recycle on the 3 R’s scale.

Build and Design:

The Axioms have an un-molded UIEM style shell that’s quite unique. The majority of the shell Is crafted out of metal, with a swappable module for the female MMCX or 2-pin connectors. For aesthetics, the faceplate features a decorative hetian jade piece inlaid on a polished metal rim. The swappable faceplate systems are removed by unscrewing using the included screwdriver and pulling on a specific seam, in practice though, thanks to the tolerances on this IEM there is basically no seam. People without fingernails might find this task rather difficult. Overall, design is quite alright, build is great and the aesthetics are an acquired taste.

Fit:

(As always, your mileage will vary, no-one has the exact same ears)

The Axioms come packaged with 3 wide-bore silicone eartips from ePro in the usual S/M/L sizes. I found these tips to mount quite deeply on the rather large-bored nozzle on the Axiom which when combined with the un-molded (no concha fin) design of the shells led to a rather shallow and somewhat insecure fit in my ears. This is perhaps exacerbated the weight of the metal shells. I would have preferred a second set of longer nozzled tips in this case, but again YMMV.

Quick Sound Impressions: (Only an hour or so worth of listening, take with salt)

-Balanced Neutral Signature

Bass
on the Axioms is thick, punchy and decently extended. It’s tonally somewhat forward in the mix but quantity is tastefully done. Slam quality is quite good, low frequency rumble is there if somewhat tapered off and I wish for a little more textural separation overall as it could get somewhat congested in metal tracks.

Midrange on the Axiom is somewhat recessed in the upper register, there is a slight tilt towards the lower midrange over the upper midrange. Female vocals are detailed and resolved decently but they do seem to have somewhat of a veil. Male vocals do better with a thicker, warmer tone to them and plenty of body. Instruments are just ok, note weight is good. Overall, better for male vocals than female, upper midrange requires some transparency.

Treble on the Axiom is well done, quite neutral and well extended. Highs are clear and present but there does seem to be some extra high treble energy although the Knowles BA drivers that I assume are handling the high end do a good job of keeping the treble focused enough to avoid sibilance and at the same time resolving detail and providing extension.

Technical Performance:

Soundstage on the Axiom is rather wide and has good depth if the usual scoop on front and back stage, Extension has been noted to be quite good. Driver Control is reined in but a slight hint of BA metal is still present. Imaging is quite decent, and fairly precise. Instrument separation and layering is decent. Detail retrieval is good.

Off the Top Conclusions:

Still torn on the inclusion of only 1 set of tips and still quite annoyed at the fit. Will attempt to tip-roll later on. I enjoy the sound signature but I am missing my female vocals a bit as well. Overall, I’m not sure what direction to take my full review towards. We’ll see.

Dec 16, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #61,204 of 100,524
For me, the KZ ZEX was a nice entry into the world of proper TWS with the addition of an AZ09 Bluetooth module as so far, all the wireless stuffs I've heard just didn't cut it as audiophile for me.
There's an opportunity to try out the N400 (if you didn't tried yet) as they are now selling for an "entry point" price. SmartSelect_20211216-151020_Chrome.jpg

Dec 16, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #61,205 of 100,524
Did they startle you with the CRACK CRACK CRACK treble drums hits? LOL
You bet.
Next was the JVC HA-FXH30. No CRACK, but kind of veiled overall. Then JVC HA-FXT90. Also, a bit of CRACK, but technically much better.
Then I popped in the DQ6 - oh man, how far have these things evolved in such a relatively short period of time.

Cheers

Dec 16, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #61,206 of 100,524
It took almost two months, but the 7Hz Timeless finally arrived from AliExpress. Great to be able to buy an earphone with a 2.5mm balanced cable and have a good set of accessories. The metal box that comes with them is impressive, so much so that I don't want to use it because it looks so nice! Anyway, I got the Timeless primarily for one reason, and that is how similar it's frequency response is to one of my all-time favorites, the Moondrop Kanas Pro:
7Hz Timeless vs. Moondrop Kanas Pro.png

No surprise that the Timeless sounds great. What is surprising to me is how different the presentation of that sound is to the Kanas Pro. The space the sound takes up inside my head is much bigger with the Timeless, with every instrument giving me the impression of having more distance between them. Tracking individual elements with my brain, or visualizing the surfaces and space which the sounds are bouncing off of when they echo is done with more ease with the Timeless, maybe because the distant things seem to be farther away. I wonder what exactly is responsible for all these differences... the Timeless and Kanas Pro start to significantly deviate in response between 8k-15k. But the bass also feels different, I'm guessing due to how the drivers work physically, the chambers that they are in, and the different ways they move that air and are vented.

My Moondrop Kanas Pro has a NiceHCK 4 core pure silver cable on it, and Periodic Audio's Hydrogen eartips. 7Hz Timeless has the stock cable and JVC Spiral Dot eartips. Player is Tempotec V1 with Sonata BHD. I will do more listening and at some point will change the eartips to be the same, though I don't think it will change things that much (I primarily use the Periodic Audio Hydrogen eartips so that I can get a deeper fit with the Kanas Pro since the tips are slightly smaller and the Kanas Pro stems are so long).

Dec 16, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #61,207 of 100,524
The 7 Hertz Timeless showed up at my door today. I'll have more to say about them as I give them adequate ear time, but OOTB thoughts? These things are a combination of DUNU EST 112/RHA CL2/JVC FW01. Fun punchy bass of the EST, detail retrieval of the CL2 (but wayyyyyy better bass than the CL2), and the resolution of the FW01. A fun tuned planar?! WHA?! The bass is that good! Mids take some getting used to (tonality), but really, the timbre and resolution make that easily excusable. I'm listening and them burning in, so I'll have more to say later, but as of right now, these things are as resolving as anything I've ever put in my ears, and this includes the JVC woodies, which have up to this point been the KINGS of resolution and timbre.

Dec 16, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #61,208 of 100,524
It took almost two months, but the 7Hz Timeless finally arrived from AliExpress. Great to be able to buy an earphone with a 2.5mm balanced cable and have a good set of accessories. The metal box that comes with them is impressive, so much so that I don't want to use it because it looks so nice! Anyway, I got the Timeless primarily for one reason, and that is how similar it's frequency response is to one of my all-time favorites, the Moondrop Kanas Pro:

No surprise that the Timeless sounds great. What is surprising to me is how different the presentation of that sound is to the Kanas Pro. The space the sound takes up inside my head is much bigger with the Timeless, with every instrument giving me the impression of having more distance between them. Tracking individual elements with my brain, or visualizing the surfaces and space which the sounds are bouncing off of when they echo is done with more ease with the Timeless, maybe because the distant things seem to be farther away. I wonder what exactly is responsible for all these differences... the Timeless and Kanas Pro start to significantly deviate in response between 8k-15k. But the bass also feels different, I'm guessing due to how the drivers work physically, the chambers that they are in, and the different ways they move that air and are vented.

My Moondrop Kanas Pro has a NiceHCK 4 core pure silver cable on it, and Periodic Audio's Hydrogen eartips. 7Hz Timeless has the stock cable and JVC Spiral Dot eartips. Player is Tempotec V1 with Sonata BHD. I will do more listening and at some point will change the eartips to be the same, though I don't think it will change things that much (I primarily use the Periodic Audio Hydrogen eartips so that I can get a deeper fit with the Kanas Pro since the tips are slightly smaller and the Kanas Pro stems are so long).
I owned both, and I currently own the KXXS, the Kanas Pro big brother, and even OOTB, the Timeless are light years better than both. The bass isn't even close and neither is the detail retrieval, stage, treble and resolution. The only place where these two hang in there is the mids. The Mids from the Kanas is more natural, but after that, take a back seat my friends.

EDIT : Side by side, the mids are quite superior in presentation and tonality with the Moondrop KXXS. Just much more natural and lush. That's the only thing they got though.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2021 at 8:05 AM Post #61,209 of 100,524
Just tried the Penon Serial. This 3DD IEM sure packs a punch with an extremely musical presentation. The bass creates a soothing listen with nice rumble, the midrange is smooth and organic, the treble is rather open with a controlled expression. The soundstage is big with excellent depth and width. Very nice! Enjoy & Happy Listening! :)

267759058_4910641938970519_3392358319031163699_n.jpg

Dec 17, 2021 at 8:10 AM Post #61,210 of 100,524
Just tried the Penon Serial. This 3DD IEM sure packs a punch with an extremely musical presentation. The bass creates a soothing listen with nice rumble, the midrange is smooth and organic, the treble is rather open with a controlled expression. The soundstage is big with excellent depth and width. Very nice! Enjoy & Happy Listening! :)

267759058_4910641938970519_3392358319031163699_n.jpg
Do you have any FR graph to share? Can you compare them to DQ6 or 3DT?

Dec 17, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #61,211 of 100,524
7Hz Timeless just arrived today.

Long story short, I must admit, Timeless will be my top pick if I look for dynamism and/or natural timbre reproduction.

The only nitpick will be treble extension and texture layering which I could beg for Sonion EST to take care of.
But other than that, bass is as tactile and impactful as Moondrop Variation’s LCP driver bass, Mid is smooth and natural sounding, this IEM excels at attack / decay of the sounds, making it sounding so lively.

Timeless will definitely stick to my go-to list for live music

[tip rolls] tried AZLA Crystal / Xelastec , SpinFit series, UM tips, SpitalDot+, Stock tips(looked like 7Hz share same tip OEM with TRI /KBEAR and CCZ, the ex-distributer’a house brand), Xelastec /CP360 / Moondrop Spring fits well. Stock tips works fine as well. The key factor to “retain natural timbre” seemed short and wide open bore tips for Timeless.

What impressed me is that 7Hz accompanied 2 of ear tip carrying case, which is very helpful to maintain purpose oriented tip management.
B9C5B0F8-B204-4F2D-B514-F2ABD78A8692.jpeg

[comparison with one of best sounding single DD Moondrop Kato]
I thought Kato was my endgame for single DD for 2020, if scoring it Kato would hit somewhere near 80/100 B+ or A- range, which would be highest non-BA/EST would hit.

Used same ear tips SpinFit CP360, same output 4.4mm balanced, Timeless hit the same track better than Kato, so I would assume it will reach at least 80+/100, maybe A to A+ range, which I would see Blessing 2 Dusk running around as a pace keeper. Timeless’s imaging is exceptionally good in that regards.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2021 at 7:26 PM Post #61,212 of 100,524
7Hz Timeless just arrived today.

Long story short, I must admit, Timeless will be my top pick if I look for dynamism and/or natural timbre reproduction.

The only nitpick will be treble extension and texture layering which I could beg for Sonion EST to take care of.
But other than that, bass is as tactile and impactful as Moondrop Variation’s LCP driver bass, Mid is smooth and natural sounding, this IEM excels at attack / decay of the sounds, making it sounding so lively.

Timeless will definitely stick to my go-to list for live music
I agree it sounds really good with live music.

Dec 18, 2021 at 12:01 AM Post #61,213 of 100,524
7C78C65A-40AF-4919-AFC0-E0D47761FD32.jpeg

Latest acquisition: Intime Sora Light 2019 edition. Another pair of JDM IEMs that I’ve always been curious about.

Dec 18, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #61,214 of 100,524
7C78C65A-40AF-4919-AFC0-E0D47761FD32.jpeg

Latest acquisition: Intime Sora Light 2019 edition. Another pair of JDM IEMs that I’ve always been curious about.

I was interested in it. But after finding out the cable ain't detachable, decided to skip.

How is the sound BTW?

Dec 18, 2021 at 3:39 AM Post #61,215 of 100,524
7 Hertz Timeless + Heavy Metal/Hard Rock music = Perfect Synergy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back