The discovery thread!
Oct 30, 2021 at 12:01 AM Post #60,721 of 99,800
That would have been the POP switch as there is less emphasis for the mids which highlights the bass end.

One thing I am gonna do tonight. I am gonna mess with the LZ A7 nozzles on the A4 pro. I am looking for something in between the stock nozzle and the red one. Should be interesting. I hope they fit.
DSC09158.JPG
OK so the LZ A7 filters not only fit the A4 pro perfectly but it has the one filter that I was looking for. The 4 shorter nozzles on top is the ones that come with the A4 Pro. The stock filter nozzle is the black one. The black one is probably the best filter that is included with this package as it has a healthy amount of upper mid 2Khz to 4khz presence. Roughly 10dbs worth, the silver and the blue nozzles adds a touch more on top of that. Even the stock nozzle leans more toward a brighter signature because of the upper mid gain. The red has a very mild upper mid boost but ends up sounding a bit muted the drop off is a bit much actually. Unusable and not great.

So I was looking for something in between the black nozzle and the red. I remembered on the older A7 there was a gold nozzle that was between the black and the red nozzle on them. It is exactly what I was looking for. If I was guessing the gold nozzle from the A7 adds roughly 7dbs of upper mid gain... This is the nozzle LZ should have included with the A4 pro. Now we are talking. It is a damn shame they didn't include something in between the black and the red one.

In other news.
DSC09157.JPG
ISN H50 in the house.

These are a clear upgrade on the old H40s to my ears. Even on open listen they sound amazing. Big wide stage. Absolutely superb tuning from bass to treble on this one. I will have an impression up of these here real soon.

Oct 30, 2021 at 2:56 AM Post #60,722 of 99,800
DSC09158.JPG
OK so the LZ A7 filters not only fit the A4 pro perfectly but it has the one filter that I was looking for. The 4 shorter nozzles on top is the ones that come with the A4 Pro. The stock filter nozzle is the black one. The black one is probably the best filter that is included with this package as it has a healthy amount of upper mid 2Khz to 4khz presence. Roughly 10dbs worth, the silver and the blue nozzles adds a touch more on top of that. Even the stock nozzle leans more toward a brighter signature because of the upper mid gain. The red has a very mild upper mid boost but ends up sounding a bit muted the drop off is a bit much actually. Unusable and not great.

So I was looking for something in between the black nozzle and the red. I remembered on the older A7 there was a gold nozzle that was between the black and the red nozzle on them. It is exactly what I was looking for. If I was guessing the gold nozzle from the A7 adds roughly 7dbs of upper mid gain... This is the nozzle LZ should have included with the A4 pro. Now we are talking. It is a damn shame they didn't include something in between the black and the red one.

In other news.
DSC09157.JPG
ISN H50 in the house.

These are a clear upgrade on the old H40s to my ears. Even on open listen they sound amazing. Big wide stage. Absolutely superb tuning from bass to treble on this one. I will have an impression up of these here real soon.
The crushed gold faceplate looks great with their logo. Hopefully they maintained a competitive price point.

Oct 30, 2021 at 6:28 AM Post #60,723 of 99,800
In other news.

ISN H50 in the house.

Very interested on H50, since I didn’t get H40..
Has different EST50 tuning ?

Oct 30, 2021 at 7:26 AM Post #60,724 of 99,800
BATTLE OF THE BANSHEES, RIDE OF THE VALKYRIE

Just received a tour unit of the TRN VX Pro. After reviewing it, this unit will be passed on a tour in Singapore to some other audiophiles.

TRN VX Pro.jpeg

Well, TRN and KZ are forever locked in a driver nuclear race, a battle of the banshees so to speak, and the TRN VX Pro's predecessor (the original TRN VX), was a multi driver behemoth that I nicknamed "Poison Ivy". I found the original TRN VX to be sibilant and shouty and I honestly couldn't use it for more than 5 minutes without EQ or some foam mods. The "Poison Ivy" nickname was in memory of the "female poison" banshee tuning and the VX poison gas monicker. Mind you, the original TRN VX had great technical performance, but different strokes for different folks, I'd rather something with average technicalities + good tonality than outright pure technical brilliance with poor tonality.

Thankfully, the tuning here in the VX Pro is improved from the "Poison Ivy" predecessor. This set is an 8 BA + 1 DD monstrosity.

Accessories are rather good for the price.
Included are:
1) TRN VX Pro IEM
2) 4 Core SPC cable - disappointingly there is no chin cinch, but it is quite usable
3) Hard round case
4) Foam tips x 1 pair
5) Silicone tips S/M/L - there are 2 variants, one has a narrower bore which boosts the bass for me, the other has a wider bore which boosts the upper frequencies for me.
6) 1/4 inch jack

TRN Accessories.jpeg

During ordering, you can choose a silver mirror like version, or a navy blue matte version. I got the silver version as per this photo, they are really quite nice, akin to the Moondrop KXXS, HZSound Heart Mirror type of shell. Something different from the usual industrial looking TRNs, but they can be a finger print or scratch magnet, so do be careful if you opt for this version.

Comfort is good, this set is quite ergonomic and light. Unfortunately there is driver flex. Isolation is above average.

This set is easy to drive.

In terms of tuning, the VX Pro is V shaped, as per most TRN sets.
TRN VX Pro graph.jpg
TRN VX Pro graph, courtesy of KopiOKaya (IEC711 compliant coupler). 8 kHZ area has a resonance peak, but there is also an actual peak on listening.

The TRN VX Pro is midbass focused. The midbass is north of neutral, but not as basshead levels. Subbass extends moderately with a rumble when called for. Unfortunately, there is midbass bleed, this encroaches into the lower mids. The bass is also slow, and not very textured. In songs with fast bass movements, the DD bass may struggle to keep up and I would describe the bass as sounding smeared.

The midrange is recessed as per the V shaped tuning, upper mids have a slight boost, but thankfully are not shouty like its predecessor, the original VX. Vocals are forward without being too fatiguing. Treble is moderately extended, but the 8 kHz area is quite emphasized and sibilance is present, with cymbals and highhats being overemphasized and splashy.

In terms of technicalities:
- Soundstage width is above average, but height and depth are below average.
- Imaging is above average
- Microdetails are quite good
- Instrument separation is below average, possibly it is not aided by the below average soundstage.

BA timbre is present in the upper frequencies, but not the worst I've heard for a BA. Vocals can be a bit nasal and the note weight on this set is on the thinner side.

Well these are early impressions, will do some burn in and comparisons. FWIW, the VX Pro is improved in tonality from the original VX, but the bass is slow and the 8 kHz can be a bit splashy. I'll see if changing eartips or sources can fix these areas. So far, I think this set is decent, but as we know how fast this CHIFI industry moves (with weekly releases and hypetrains), being decent may mean it can't stand out from the cut-throat competition. Will also do some comparisons against the original VX predecessor, and some multi driver sets at this price bracket and report back.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #60,725 of 99,800
DSC09158.JPG

graph - 2021-10-30T151319.883.png

graph - 2021-10-30T151344.966.png

graph - 2021-10-30T151349.321.png

graph - 2021-10-30T151356.546.png

yeah, those 2 filters are better than the ones on the A4 Pro lol.
(FIY; you can get less/more bass with the red/blue vent screws.)

Oct 30, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #60,726 of 99,800
In other news.

ISN H50 in the house.

I'm really interested in hearing your impressions about these too. I still haven't found my BA set and have my sights on the RSV or GD5....

Oct 30, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #60,728 of 99,800
Oct 30, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #60,729 of 99,800
Oct 31, 2021 at 4:00 AM Post #60,735 of 99,800
"TREBLE PENETRATION"

...Yeah they're really being subtle there.
"Much like Etymotic, we're going to violate your ear holes."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back