The discovery thread!
Sep 6, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #60,002 of 100,422
Man... The 7Hz Timeless looks big as hell. And it doesn't need to be that big, there is a segment of the circle that doesn't serve any acoustical purposes.

When's yours arriving?

Sep 6, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #60,003 of 100,422
Moondrop announced KATO, as an Upgrade to the KXXS.
FB_IMG_1630844113084.jpg
Enjoying labor day vacation at Chicago and wow! Great news! Aria sounded good enough, and if Kato is expected to be the upgrades to KXXS, this certainly is very assuring single DD🤔

Sep 6, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #60,005 of 100,422
When it comes to treble or upper-midrange sensitivity and/or liking, it is always subjective as per the individual. In general, individual preferences and liking will always be subjective. It all depends on what you like and how you like your gear to sound. What you might consider bright, someone else might consider sparkly and exciting. Same goes for upper-midrange ear/pinna gain. What one person might consider a shouty upper-midrange, could be strong, forward instrument definition for someone else. We all like different things and that is why there are so many brands in the world, with a variety of IEMs with different sound signatures, targeting different tastes and preferences. If everyone liked the exact same thing, it'd be such a boring world and companies would have no scope for experimentation or come up with new things. In fact, these many companies wouldn't even exist! 😱Haha.

Objectively, when it comes to talking about tuning or specific frequency regions with a reference in mind, it depends on the target curve you select as reference; Diffuse Field, Etymotic, Harman, etc, and how these IEMs translate compared to them. Of course, you don't necessarily have to judge or like IEMs solely on their ability to hit a target curve since fun tuned IEMs can be dam amazing and hell lotta fun too. Even though as an audio engineer, I really love and enjoy reference tuned headphones and IEMs, I quite dig and enjoy well done fun signatures too. Anyway, talking about S8F's 4k-10kHz response (what you're probably finding peaky) with target curves in reference, it is quite within the Harman 2019 IEM target, similarish to a tiny bit above the Diffuse Field target ( particularly 8-10kHz) and definitely north of neutral compared to Etymotic target. Now, a person liking one target curve over the other is again going to be a subjective preference but that doesn't diminish objectivity they bring to the table or the research, high value and importance of these target curves in general.

Nevertheless, you're not alone in finding the S8F a little bright and intense. A lot of people do. I reviewed the Fearless S8F (link) 2 years back and stated all of that but also how fun, interesting and intriguing a listen it is, not just for me personally but a lot of people.

My 2 cents... Cheers!

“We all like different things and that is why there are so many brands in the world, with a variety of IEMs with different sound signatures, targeting different tastes and preferences. If everyone liked the exact same thing, it'd be such a boring world and companies would have no scope for experimentation or come up with new things. In fact, these many companies wouldn't even exist!”

This. This post should be required reading for anyone signing up for Head-fi. And, when posters go off the rails and start flame wars they should have to provide a signed and notarized copy of this post before being allowed back on! Thank you @Animagus for the wisest thing I have read on head-fi in quite a while!

Sep 6, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #60,006 of 100,422
When it comes to treble or upper-midrange sensitivity and/or liking, it is always subjective as per the individual. In general, individual preferences and liking will always be subjective. It all depends on what you like and how you like your gear to sound. What you might consider bright, someone else might consider sparkly and exciting. Same goes for upper-midrange ear/pinna gain. What one person might consider a shouty upper-midrange, could be strong, forward instrument definition for someone else. We all like different things and that is why there are so many brands in the world, with a variety of IEMs with different sound signatures, targeting different tastes and preferences. If everyone liked the exact same thing, it'd be such a boring world and companies would have no scope for experimentation or come up with new things. In fact, these many companies wouldn't even exist! 😱Haha.

Objectively, when it comes to talking about tuning or specific frequency regions with a reference in mind, it depends on the target curve you select as reference; Diffuse Field, Etymotic, Harman, etc, and how these IEMs translate compared to them. Of course, you don't necessarily have to judge or like IEMs solely on their ability to hit a target curve since fun tuned IEMs can be dam amazing and hell lotta fun too. Even though as an audio engineer, I really love and enjoy reference tuned headphones and IEMs, I quite dig and enjoy well done fun signatures too. Anyway, talking about S8F's 4k-10kHz response (what you're probably finding peaky) with target curves in reference, it is quite within the Harman 2019 IEM target, similarish to a tiny bit above the Diffuse Field target ( particularly 8-10kHz) and definitely north of neutral compared to Etymotic target. Now, a person liking one target curve over the other is again going to be a subjective preference but that doesn't diminish objectivity they bring to the table or the research, high value and importance of these target curves in general.

Nevertheless, you're not alone in finding the S8F a little bright and intense. A lot of people do. I reviewed the Fearless S8F (link) 2 years back and stated all of that but also how fun, interesting and intriguing a listen it is, not just for me personally but a lot of people.

My 2 cents... Cheers!
Thanks!

Sep 6, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #60,007 of 100,422
“We all like different things and that is why there are so many brands in the world, with a variety of IEMs with different sound signatures, targeting different tastes and preferences. If everyone liked the exact same thing, it'd be such a boring world and companies would have no scope for experimentation or come up with new things. In fact, these many companies wouldn't even exist!”

This. This post should be required reading for anyone signing up for Head-fi. And, when posters go off the rails and start flame wars they should have to provide a signed and notarized copy of this post before being allowed back on! Thank you @Animagus for the wisest thing I have read on head-fi in quite a while!
Lol! 😅

Oh anytime! I hope this helps. Otherwise, feel free to PM me. :)

Sep 6, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #60,008 of 100,422
Well, finally someone was able to explain to me. And then I could not understand why they make headphones devoid of low frequencies and pleasing the ear with exceptionally high frequencies, or headphones with a completely insane amount of bass, like from a barrel, or headphones that shoot in the ear with a peak of 7-8 kHz, trying to penetrate the brain and meet in the middle, or harsh, pungent high frequencies transmitted as a reference sound. All those deep Vs with a "funny" sound. - It turns out that these are experiments (on people, I suppose) and a way to expand the number of enterprises.
Now I am calm. This world does not seek boredom. He seeks to expand the range of preferences from complete deafness to harsh masochism. The main thing is that people like it. And let anyone who tries to talk about good taste that does not appear by itself beware.
And me too Lol!

About "personal preference" in sound.
I believe that "personal preference" is just a habit. There is nothing "sacred" or inviolable about this.
There are people who are used to and love listening to music, doing it in stadiums and in nightclubs. Anyone who is used to music coming from a subwoofer usually prefers excess bass. Considers this to be the correct (essentially familiar) sound.
Those who have become familiar with music outdoors are used to high frequencies, which are less scattered than bass. And they are looking for a similar sound in headphones.
There are also those who are used to jazz and opera and have heard them in concert halls with good acoustics. They are waiting for their familiar sound.
Somewhere and sometime a stereotype develops, and we follow it.
Is one more correct than the other? - Of course, mine is more correct, although I will not talk about it too often, lol. :sweat_smile:
Can you argue or discuss? Why can we talk about smoking or drunkenness, but not about the habits-preferences in sound? Is it different? Dont know. Although, of course, it is more correct and more tolerant to talk about the sound in headphones, and not about a person. If someone discusses the sound, and the person considers it to be an attack on himself, that is his business. It doesn’t concern me, and I don’t feel guilty.
IMO.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #60,009 of 100,422
Just come across this randomly and has anyone had any experience with these?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003009332586.html

Capture 1.PNG

Capture 2.PNG

Sep 6, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #60,010 of 100,422

"... fever moving iron ring iron male model private model..."

Not sure what to make of all that description

Sep 6, 2021 at 8:00 PM Post #60,011 of 100,422
Customized BA meaning they can just put their name on it and it will be customized.

Speaking of BAs.

DSC08878.JPG

These have shot up to be the top dog of my collection in a relative short amount of time. These are by far Penons nicest sounding earphones. It has so much going on for them. Their new Legends are everything great about Penon sound and the great thing here is they don't force you to get their flagship cable which was created in conjunction with these.
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/penon-legend.25409/
Labor day reader. Its a long un.

Sep 6, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #60,012 of 100,422
When a company starts going crazy with the features of a product, it usually ends up bad, with mediocre products, but every once in a while, a company manages to pull it off and creates a gem that's versatile and fun to use. This is the case today as well, with the CD Player / Internet Radio / Headphone AMP WR-50CD from Ocean Digital !!

I made a full review I want to share with you, it is a great option for both stereo and headphone enjoyers, and altough I don't have much to compare it to as far as CD Players go, I have good experience with headphone AMPs and other DACs out there and tried sharing my input on how the WR-50CD actually sounds and works~

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2...nternet-radio-a-little-bit-of-everything.html

Ocean-Digital-WR-50-CD-WR50CD-Player-CD-Radio-Internet-Review-Audiophile-Heaven-08.jpg

Sep 6, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #60,013 of 100,422

"... fever moving iron ring iron male model private model..."

Not sure what to make of all that description
Private = Custom
Moving Iron = BA

Sep 7, 2021 at 12:11 AM Post #60,014 of 100,422
When a company starts going crazy with the features of a product, it usually ends up bad, with mediocre products, but every once in a while, a company manages to pull it off and creates a gem that's versatile and fun to use. This is the case today as well, with the CD Player / Internet Radio / Headphone AMP WR-50CD from Ocean Digital !!

I made a full review I want to share with you, it is a great option for both stereo and headphone enjoyers, and altough I don't have much to compare it to as far as CD Players go, I have good experience with headphone AMPs and other DACs out there and tried sharing my input on how the WR-50CD actually sounds and works~

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2...nternet-radio-a-little-bit-of-everything.html

Ocean-Digital-WR-50-CD-WR50CD-Player-CD-Radio-Internet-Review-Audiophile-Heaven-08.jpg
CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE

https://www.amazon.com/Digital-WR-50CD-Internet-Bluetooth-Receiver/dp/B0912QR561

Users who are viewing this thread

Back