The discovery thread!
Jul 27, 2021 at 7:05 PM Post #58,486 of 100,405
Haha good on you and this is probably just the start. Let's make this clear to everyone: The GK10 is not a giant killer and it is definitely not challenging IEMs that cost >500 USD. Perhaps the maximum price it can challenge up to is 300 USD which is a slight stretch but realistic. However, it is only 45.9 USD, let that sink in.
I agree wholeheartedly.

Jul 27, 2021 at 7:13 PM Post #58,487 of 100,405
As I wind down my observations of the GK10, i've noticed it plays differently with different players. Not as WOW using the Hiby's, but POPPIN' using the Sony's. The synergy between these and the Sony's are BOOM SHAKA LAKA! Better to my ears than the Hiby or Fiio. Haven't tried them yet with my iphone 12, but I will. I'm just being lazy.

Jul 27, 2021 at 8:00 PM Post #58,488 of 100,405
Moondrop Aria? More like…ariyaaas

207A03D8-C475-49C3-A304-832E186A8250.jpeg

D7564BDF-BFD3-497C-B401-7A44E38C5FC8.jpeg

40914C62-553D-42CB-A579-5D5E2F43DDDD.jpeg

132F8DFD-9F9E-4912-B663-5A3E890AEEC4.jpeg

Sorry I couldn’t help myself. These just came in and My out of box impression has me going “this is great. Wait….do I have to compare to Starfield and Legacy in my ears again? Because this could be better for my enjoyment than either of the two. My ranks might need to change..”

So here I am, writing this on my phone as I’m listening to my reference playlist off of said phone.

My first thought is immediately that these sound like they took the thump and warmth of the legacy and combined it with the higher mid forwardness of the Starfield, with none of the sibilance or shoutyness.

Novelty effect here though. So take this all with a grain of salt, as with any out of box impression :)

This one is getting an impression video, and on a fast track for a possible review with sound demo (to appear on channel blah blah blah).

Jul 27, 2021 at 11:36 PM Post #58,489 of 100,405
posted GK10@24hrs observation: disruptive IEM it is, the only issue for me is the fit, so I had to use my “bad fit IEM solution” CP360.

Jul 28, 2021 at 12:03 AM Post #58,490 of 100,405
My GK10 came in. It's better than the Aria. More refined... and cost less.
I still think the Aria is excellent, but there is a clear difference in SQ ootb with the GK10. Need much more time to enjoy these.
KZ and CCA will need to make some big changes if they want to compete in the future, because both Moondrop and Geek Wold have far surpassed them in quality and value now.

Jul 28, 2021 at 12:43 AM Post #58,492 of 100,405
My GK10 came in. It's better than the Aria. More refined... and cost less.
I still think the Aria is excellent, but there is a clear difference in SQ ootb with the GK10. Need much more time to enjoy these.
KZ and CCA will need to make some big changes if they want to compete in the future, because both Moondrop and Geek Wold have far surpassed them in quality and value now.
It's better than the Aria? 😯

Jul 28, 2021 at 1:32 AM Post #58,493 of 100,405
It's better than the Aria? 😯
It's better than my KXXS, so i'll assume it's better than the Aria, and if bhazard said so, then i'm betting it is.

Jul 28, 2021 at 2:18 AM Post #58,494 of 100,405
I agree wholeheartedly.
I'll be happy if it can outperform my modded CCA CKX. I just don't want to need to mod these to tame the treble to a point I can enjoy them. But guess what'll happen if it's too shouty or stabby? It's getting some tuning filters and foam. I'm holding out hope for now, just waiting for it to ship from HiFiGo.

Jul 28, 2021 at 2:20 AM Post #58,495 of 100,405
In other news. I will have a Spring and Summer Sho down

1627419248453.png

Reecho Spring/ Summer vs
BQEYZ Spring 2/ Summer

Got word I will be getting the BQEYZ Summer. Will be interesting to compare the seasons vs each other.
That should be exciting, since the Reecho Spring/Summer have quite different driver configs from each other. I'm not sure what the differences are in the driver bill for the BQEYZ Summer from their Spring 2. Personally, I prefer the shell design of the Reecho Summer over just about everything else mostly for the color and shape. It seems relatively compact.

Jul 28, 2021 at 2:22 AM Post #58,496 of 100,405
I'll be happy if it can outperform my modded CCA CKX. I just don't want to need to mod these to tame the treble to a point I can enjoy them. But guess what'll happen if it's too shouty or stabby? It's getting some tuning filters and foam. I'm holding out hope for now, just waiting for it to ship from HiFiGo.
Shouty treble these do not have. These are a very refined treble. Very controlled. Extended but refined. That's what separates the GK10 from the other cheapos, and @bhazard just mentioned it, is the refinement. When I play them side by side with the DQ6 or CST, it's apparent those are very splashy in comparison.

Jul 28, 2021 at 2:25 AM Post #58,497 of 100,405
Will you guys quit, I’m having enough trouble curtailing my excitement for these, (just kidding, I love the excitement). As one who will likely never get to hear any summit-fi stuff, I’m hoping these Geeks might give a glimpse of what I may be missing. You guys with that experience certainly give credence to the possibility that the Geeks might provide such a glimpse, however little it may be. As one who has appreciated “giant killers” like the Koss porta-pro for years, I have to chance it. Now, to wait at the door like a panting dog until they come 🐶
I'll see if I can do some A/B listening between the GK10 and my friend's NanNa 2.0. They're not exactly summit-fi by pricing, but they are expensive and very nicely tuned, so it's probably a worthwhile experiment. The challenge is that there are plenty of sets that are 70% of the way to the NanNa 2.0, but getting that last 30% is where things get quite expensive. I'm looking forward to seeing how they stack up given what their graphs look like. I'm hoping they sound quite different than the graphs might indicate. Given they've got three different drivers with varying listening impacts compared to how the measuring transducer picks them up, this certainly does seem possible.

Jul 28, 2021 at 2:31 AM Post #58,498 of 100,405
Shouty treble these do not have. These are a very refined treble. Very controlled. Extended but refined. That's what separates the GK10 from the other cheapos, and @bhazard just mentioned it, is the refinement. When I play them side by side with the DQ6 or CST, it's apparent those are very splashy in comparison.

Only gets better with time too!

Jul 28, 2021 at 2:40 AM Post #58,499 of 100,405
I hope that's the case, given how unfortunately sensitive I am to such things. I'm really hoping that 10kHz spike in the graph is just some anomaly in the measurement, because it might try to murder my ears. As the old proverb goes: the proof of the pudding is in the eating. Speculating based on other people's experiences is fun and all, but you really need to experience it yourself to truly understand.

Jul 28, 2021 at 3:00 AM Post #58,500 of 100,405
There is nothing wrong with a healthy hype train. As long as the product is dope.

The real difference between this one vs others I have seen is that this one, everyone can afford. Who don't like that.
Surely a hype train is so called if the item is not worthy. It is not hype if it is truly awesome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back