The discovery thread!
Mar 28, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #55,682 of 100,737
My initial impression on the Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 closed:

My first impressions on the Aeon 2 is pretty good. Let me just start with saying that I generally not that crazy about closed headphones. I prefer open ones and have historically put my money towards them and for portable I tend to prefer IEM's. The most expensive (and best) closed cans that I own are the Meze 99 classic which I fid. To be ok but nothing spectacular.

The reason I was looking for a new pair of closed cans is that I'd like to have something good to use in the office and when staying at hotels (once the world gets normal again). The fact that the Aeon's are so brilliantly designed makes them way smaller to bring along (the Aeon case is about 50% smaller compared to the Meze case).

My most used open headphones are the HD800S and the HE560 but I tend to be able to enjoy several different sound signatures so when I found a great deal for a used pair of the Aeon's I took the chance.

The Aeon 2 closed are extremely comfortable for me which is a major deal for my intended usage. They do also seem to be very well made.

As for the sound three things stood out to me when first listening to them: 1. The bass 2. They does indeed sound more like a open pair of headphones than any other closed cans I've heard and 3. They sounded surprisingly familiar for some reason.

So after 48 hours with them I'd say that they've got amazing bass, just what I'd like from a pair of closed planars and a nice contrast to most of my other headphones. The midrange has great quality and feels very transparent. The treble is very well behaved without feeling rolled off. Soundstage feels very believable and coherent without being exceptional in any direction. Overall I think they're very relaxed, fun and enjoyable to listen to.

Despite needing some power they work OK with the Quedelix 5K Bluetooth amp/dac and really well with the Hiby R5 dap. On the Burson Conductor V2+ they sound exceptional.

As for the familiarity in the sound that I mentioned initially I find them to have a lot in common with the Brainwaivz Alara. Of course there's the typical difference between open and closed headphones but if Brainwaivz ever did a closed version of the Alara I'd imagine that they'd sound very similar to the Aeon's.

1616954174197.png

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #55,683 of 100,737
The Sony IER-Z1R has been out for a while but I couldn't manage a review unit until now (courtesy of a friend).

Two things stand out about the IER-Z1R the moment you put them in the ears. The first: they are huge. Proper gigantic. Moreover, they require a flush fit so if you have small ear-canals forget this IEMs (they will cause pain). At the very least, these IEMs must be auditioned before blind buying since I've seen a lot of people struggle with the fit.

The second thing: the bass on the IER-Z1R. This is the best bass response I've heard in an IEM. The rumble, the texture, the physicality, the tactility, the slam - it's all as good as I've ever heard. Some say that the Hyla TE-5B has better bass but I didn't get to hear that one so for me - this is it. Basshead end-game. Pack your bags and head out of head-fi dom.

The treble is also superb. Sparkly, well-extended without being fatiguing. Overtones come across with lifelike clarity. Cymbal hits are precise with perfect decay (not too short like BA drivers). Timbre is great despite being a hybrid as well.

The only thing I wasn't so fond of is the midrange, esp the lower-mids. Male vocals on these are just "good", not great. Certain nuances are lost (e.g. vocalist breathing in/out, subtle articulation in voice). Not necessarily due to amping I'd reckon but more of a result of the tuning decision here (recessed lower-mids). I am nitpicking but at this price-point one must nitpick.

As for the rest: gigantic soundstage with spectacular stage height and width. Depth is good but not great I'd say. Imaging is excellent but center-imaging can be better (though I think doing that will "narrow down" the stage so it's a compromise). Dynamics are spot on. I'm struggling to find much fault here apart from the fit and the lower-mids. Also note that these need a good source, if not a great one. Pairing with Sony DAPs esp was spot on. I found it the best out of the 4.4mm out of Sony ZX300 (will audition on a WM1A soon).

So yes, bass-head endgame most likely.

IMG_9756_2.jpg
IMG_9834_cr_2.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #55,685 of 100,737
Mar 28, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #55,687 of 100,737
Anyone found any real bargains for Ali sale tomorrow? :)

Mar 28, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #55,688 of 100,737
Anniversary Sale prices are live on AliExpress
Screenshot_20210324-203323.png

Sorry about your wallets!

So far, I'm seeing significant markdowns (ie >= USD 10 on:

Audiosense gear
CCA CKX
Tin T4
Tin P1
TRN BA8
Various Smabat items, except the X1
Tri i4
NiceHCK NX7 3/Pro/OG
Kinera items
NF NM2+
Tri i3 and Starsea are back to their usual "sale" prices, though I've still seen them go for less before
Not live on the west coast in the US. 9 hours to go. Looks like they're rolling it out at the same local time?

Mar 28, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #55,689 of 100,737
Got the S****R MT300 yesterday, I wanna spend a bit more time with them to form a clearer opinion, but so far the highs are the standouts. I'm running them through a Walnut V2 as an amp - because I read that the EST-drivers-that-aren't-true-EST-drivers-or-something-apparently(?) really benefit from the added power - and into my Shanling M0. I don't think the not-basshead-but-still-satisfactory-bass or clear mids really take center stage here, but my inexperienced ears have definitely never been this captivated by the details of highs before, which IMO stomp my TRN TA1 (In "Afrodiziak" by Bachar Khalifé the difference in the cymbals and other ringing instruments is huge, where the MT300 brings wonderful sparkle, while with the TA1 they sound dulled and muffled). I might have finally found an IEM to surpass an old favourite of mine as well, the Tin Hifi T2, in both detailed highs, stronger yet still tasteful bass, and wider soundstage.

But I've gotta consider how the price difference is definitely not something to scoff at. I've never spent this much on IEMs before. I got my MT300 at ~$84 CAD versus ~$35 CAD for my TRN TA1, and back when I bought the Tin Hifi T2 over two years ago, I believe they were ~$44 CAD. Technically speaking I'm still at the Sub-$100 CAD range (the MT300 are sold by most stores higher than this at this time, sadly the store I got mine from ran out of stock) - but I really wanna savour this before moving higher. If I move higher it will very likely not be for a while either, budget permitting.

(Ok but the Tri I4s for a lower price than the MT300 during AliExpress' Anniversary Sale do look interesting tho >_< I kinda want something for monitoring while voice acting which should therefore ideally be more neutral than the MT300 and Tin Hifi T2. I think that may be next for me.)

Oh yeah, something curious I also wanted to mention: I'm guessing my MT300 is from an old batch or something? It was around $15-20 cheaper than most other sellers' prices, and compared to reviewers on YouTube that showed their MT300, it seems my packaging is different in that the box it came in has no brand name on it, the carrying case inside is this grey, canvas-like pouch with the brand name instead of a cool black leather-looking carrying case, and the little spec card thing is entirely in English. As for the IEMs, the included cable looks slightly different and the metal grills (one of which is slanted OOTB, I need to somehow straighten it without dropping and losing it, kind of annoying but maybe just a fairly minor QC thing) seem to be the same as the TRN TA1 and the S****R KP580. Do anyone else's MT300 and its packaging look like mine? Oh, and the eartips seen on my MT300 didn't come in the package - they're leftover tips from the Audiofly AF56M.

1.jpg

Edit.png2.jpg3.jpg
6.jpg
Price wise I've seen these fluctuate wildly even when they just came out ($20 difference between vendors).

Mar 28, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #55,690 of 100,737
This is only my second IEM 1500-2000$, but I can say is the most impressive sound I ever heard in every way.
Truly impressed 😲

129562EA-A425-4EA8-AE08-F214B1C785DD.jpeg

Mar 28, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #55,691 of 100,737
Mar 28, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #55,692 of 100,737
Discovering KZ and CCA budget kings!

Attention to all those that love the KZ and CCA branded IEM's for their inexpensive price. Right now, there are 3 game changing IEM's that will fit right in as some of the best budget earphones that money can buy at this very moment. I'm talking about the KZ DQ6, CCA CSN, and the KZ EDX. Though, their success comes with a little tweak to bring out the best in all three with just a little extra money to spare. It will definitely compete in the upscale of more expensive IEM's, IMHO! And, it's no joke when I say that some KZ or CCA lovers might even find them as an "end-game" to their budget collection for quite sometime. So, let's see what makes them so special...!

NOTE: Refer to "my recommendation" if you want to get the best out of all three IEM's!

KZ DQ6:
It's to no surprise that the DQ6 are turning heads lately with its 3 dynamic drivers per side giving you the best a DD has to offer in the budget world today. They offer incredible and almost flawless sub-bass and very clear and clean midrange and treble. One would think there's a BA armature hidden somewhere in the housing, but that's not the case when there's actually a nicely added cross-over to feed the 3 drivers, which in-turn brings out that perfect harmony!
DQ6 recommendation:
It's okay to keep the DQ6 silver cables that come in the package, they play very well with them! But, I would advise everyone that decides to get the DQ6 to swap the ear tips for better aftermarket ones. The ones that come in the package are cheap and doesn't do them any justice at all.

CCA CSN:
Surprise, surprise! CCA got it right with their own new budget king! For those that needs a serious gaming IEM, these will be the ones! Almost identical looking, but slightly bigger than the DQ6, they have almost identical sounding sub-bass, but with just ever so slightly deeper sub-sonic audible sound to them. The midrange is just a dab smoother while the treble has slightly better technicality when comparing to the DQ6. But, both are extremely good! It's all about a matter of preference.
CSN recommendation:
It's also okay to keep the CSN silver cables that come in the package, they play well with this unit, too! But, I would also advise everyone to swap the ear tips for better aftermarket ones. The ones that come in the package are eerily similar and cheap as the ones that come with the DQ6. Just change them!

KZ EDX:
The EDX are the cheapest budget earphones out of the three, but don't count them out, yet! These will do an about face if you follow my recommendation on these! Warning! With the copper cables that come with these, you will not get no justice at all! You will just get a shouty and splashy signature response! So, I highly recommend you change them for silver or complete silver-plated cables! While listening through your own preferred silver cables you'll get a beautifully balanced signature with excellent lower sub-bass/bass, clean and clear midrange and nicely extended treble. All three IEM's are very competitive and will just be a matter of preference.
EDX recommendation:
Keep the star-line ear tips that come with the EDX! They are very comfortable and benefits small, medium, and large ears as well. The ear tips are definitely keepers! But, don't count the EDX out until you replace the copper cables for silver or silver-plated cables instead! The silver cables matched with the EDX will give you the world!

Note:
My research was done with many hours of playtime on all three. So, if you follow "my recommendation", you might just turn out one of the three as a personal budget king of your own!

Hope this will benefit anyone owning either of the three IEM's stated above specifically for sound impression alone, but not necessarily for most expensively made.

-Clear

Discovering KZ and CCA budget kings!
KZ DQ6, CCA CSN, KZ EDN (2).jpg
Attention to all those that love the KZ and CCA branded IEM's for their inexpensive price. Right now, there are 3 game changing IEM's that will fit right in as some of the best budget earphones that money can buy at this very moment. I'm talking about the KZ DQ6, CCA CSN, and the KZ EDX. Though, their success comes with a little tweak to bring out the best in all three with just a little extra money to spare. It will definitely compete in the upscale of more expensive IEM's, IMHO! And, it's no joke when I say that some KZ or CCA lovers might even find them as an "end-game" to their budget collection for quite sometime. So, let's see what makes them so special...!
KZ EDX, CCA CSN, KZ DQ6 (2).jpg
NOTE: Refer to "my recommendation" if you want to get the best out of all three IEM's!

KZ DQ6:
It's to no surprise that the DQ6 are turning heads lately with its 3 dynamic drivers per side giving you the best a DD has to offer in the budget world today. They offer incredible and almost flawless sub-bass and very clear and clean midrange and treble. One would think there's a BA armature hidden somewhere in the housing, but that's not the case when there's actually a nicely added cross-over to feed the 3 drivers, which in-turn brings out that perfect harmony!
DQ6 recommendation:
It's okay to keep the DQ6 silver cables that come in the package, they play very well with them! But, I would advise everyone that decides to get the DQ6 to swap the ear tips for better aftermarket ones. The ones that come in the package are cheap and doesn't do them any justice at all.

CCA CSN:
Surprise, surprise! CCA got it right with their own new budget king! For those that needs a serious gaming IEM, these will be the ones! Almost identical looking, but slightly bigger than the DQ6, they have almost identical sounding sub-bass, but with just ever so slightly deeper sub-sonic audible sound to them. The midrange is just a dab smoother while the treble has slightly better technicality when comparing to the DQ6. But, both are extremely good! It's all about a matter of preference.
CSN recommendation:
It's also okay to keep the CSN silver cables that come in the package, they play well with this unit, too! But, I would also advise everyone to swap the ear tips for better aftermarket ones. The ones that come in the package are eerily similar and cheap as the ones that come with the DQ6. Just change them!

KZ EDX:
The EDX are the cheapest budget earphones out of the three, but don't count them out, yet! These will do an about face if you follow my recommendation on these! Warning! With the copper cables that come with these, you will not get no justice at all! You will just get a shouty and splashy signature response! So, I highly recommend you change them for silver or complete silver-plated cables! While listening through your own preferred silver cables you'll get a beautifully balanced signature with excellent lower sub-bass/bass, clean and clear midrange and nicely extended treble. All three IEM's are very competitive and will just be a matter of preference.
EDX recommendation:
Keep the star-line ear tips that come with the EDX! They are very comfortable and benefits small, medium, and large ears as well. The ear tips are definitely keepers! But, don't count the EDX out until you replace the copper cables for silver or silver-plated cables instead! The silver cables matched with the EDX will give you the world!

Note:
My research was done with many hours of playtime on all three. So, if you follow "my recommendation", you might just turn out one of the three as a personal budget king of your own!

Hope this will benefit anyone owning either of the three IEM's stated above specifically for sound impression alone, but not necessarily for most expensively made.

-Clear
I can't decide between the CCA CSN and the Nicehck DB3. Which one has better mids and micro details? And about the cable upgrade for the EDX, you're exactly right. With the stock cable, the EDX would get mushy in the highs on some albums like Ok computer but an SPC cable did open up the higher registry

Mar 28, 2021 at 9:30 PM Post #55,693 of 100,737
I can't decide between the CCA CSN and the Nicehck DB3. Which one has better mids and micro details? And about the cable upgrade for the EDX, you're exactly right. With the stock cable, the EDX would get mushy in the highs on some albums like Ok computer but an SPC cable did open up the higher registry
I don't have the DB3, but I can definitely say that the newer CCA CSN has clean, none-harsh MID's, and excellent highs and micro-details. The sub-bass hits very low and clean due to the large back inner-space, which acts as an enhanced woofer chamber. I personally think the CSN can outperform many of my current V-shaped models, since they were specifically made for gaming. They sound incredibly mature for such a budget model!

About the EDX: Personally, I think the EDX are underrated! All it takes is to change those copper cables to all silver/silver-plated cables and you got an incredibly balanced and detailed power house. I'm glad you were able to join the bandwagon and change the cables to silver and hear the difference!
Cheers! :beerchug:

-Clear

Mar 28, 2021 at 10:44 PM Post #55,695 of 100,737
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back