The discovery thread!
Feb 20, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #55,186 of 100,450
Nothing wrong with being a bottom feeder. Lobsters are highly coveted, except for the 1998 season, off of Nova Scotia; which followed the tragedy of flight 111, Swissair :triportsad:

I have no analytics to back up my opinion, but I don’t feel the ChiFi IEM realm is the mainstay for musicians worldwide; that target market defaults to brands like Shure and Ultimate Ears.
I know musicians would LOVE to get rid of the wireless packs, and be able to just wear wireless earphones on stage. But there are a lot of areas of technology that still need major advancements before that can happen, namely battery technology. They would have to be incredibly reliable. Bluetooth wouldn’t cut it.

Feb 20, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #55,187 of 100,450
Just like a century ago people think that air travel is impossible,
a decade from now we can enjoy music without any speaker/earphone/headphone,
We're kind of there with the Bose / Frames, though these might qualify more as hidden directed speakers since I think that's what they've placed in the arms of the sunglasses:

https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/frames.html

Or are you referring more to something like the upcoming Noveto Soundbeamer:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nvt/noveto-soundbeamer-10-invisible-headphones

Feb 20, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #55,188 of 100,450
Nothing wrong with being a bottom feeder. Lobsters are highly coveted, except for the 1998 season, off of Nova Scotia; which followed the tragedy of flight 111, Swissair :triportsad:

I have no analytics to back up my opinion, but I don’t feel the ChiFi IEM realm is the mainstay for musicians worldwide; that target market defaults to brands like Shure and Ultimate Ears.

mostly because most musicians/studio engineers, especially professionals, are rarely exposed to the audiophile world, and choose their monitors mostly by recommendations of other players/engineers that they know. that's why most of them would choose "industry standard brands" that works.

they don't want to be bothered nor have the time to buy and comparing different sets of monitors, and only would try other things if they find their's to be problematic.

musicians that do dabbles in audiophile gears though definitely know about chifi. (and most of this usually casual /amateur musicians)

most newer local bands that i know, as well as worship bands, use KZs and orher chifis for their stage monitors

Feb 20, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #55,189 of 100,450
most newer local bands that i know, as well as worship bands, use KZs and orher chifis for their stage monitors
Definitely! KZs are becoming quite common for “casual” musicians not wanting to spend a lot.

That’s why I‘ve said before that KZ should come out with a similarly affordable line of IEMs specifically for stage use, though I guess the ASF is sort-of advertised as such.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #55,190 of 100,450
I know musicians would LOVE to get rid of the wireless packs, and be able to just wear wireless earphones on stage. But there are a lot of areas of technology that still need major advancements before that can happen, namely battery technology. They would have to be incredibly reliable. Bluetooth wouldn’t cut it.

i think bluetooth latency is still not doable for live performing..so those wireless with sends and receivers are still necessary.

when that tech do allow it to shrink to TWS size, i sure bet every live performers would make the jump.

Feb 20, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #55,191 of 100,450
mostly because most musicians/studio engineers, especially professionals, are rarely exposed to the audiophile world, and choose their monitors mostly by recommendations of other players/engineers that they know. that's why most of them would choose "industry standard brands" that works.

they don't want to be bothered nor have the time to buy and comparing different sets of monitors, and only would try other things if they find their's to be problematic.

musicians that do dabbles in audiophile gears though definitely know about chifi. (and most of this usually casual /amateur musicians)

While I don't know that many sound engineers, the ones I do know are pretty open-minded and pragmatic. I also read pro audio publications, and they tend to be very grounded and practical when it comes to equipment, especially for the sound engineers, because their careers depend on them being able to do their jobs well and a big part of that means understanding the equipment that they use and the limitations (vs audiophiles, who mostly know what they know because they personally enjoy it, which is different). Mixing and mastering engineers need to understand how something sounds on a wide range of playback situations so that the music will sound as good as possible in many different situations, and they often use a wide range of equipment to test their mixes and they need to have a deep and intimate understanding of the equipment they use, as well as their own biases and limitations. Here's an article for pros, "Mixing On Headphones":

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/mixing-on-headphones-pro-perspective

Feb 20, 2021 at 9:07 PM Post #55,192 of 100,450
Belated Happy Birthday @Dsnuts

Feb 20, 2021 at 9:13 PM Post #55,193 of 100,450
Screenshot_20210221_020903_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.jpg

Had an itch for something new. Ordered these, seems interesting as they dont have a crossover and costs peanuts, so not a big loss in case they wil turn out to be a 💩

Feb 21, 2021 at 2:43 AM Post #55,194 of 100,450
Upgraded my phone for the first time in 5 years, and I jumped from a iphone 7 to the iphone 12 pro, and well, with my Q1 amp, using the C to lightning connector straight to the phone, and using the FLACbox app, and i must say, it sounds as good as my other DAPS, even the Hiby R5. Been using the KZ DQ6, and holeee!! What a sound!! The stage is so wide and details just POP! Money well spent.

Feb 21, 2021 at 5:10 AM Post #55,196 of 100,450
Speaking of TWS, TRN just posted this one on FB... 15.28 USD

Screenshot_2021-02-21-18-08-32-80.jpg

Still TRN... I guess they decided to lower the price. Might be competitive.

Screenshot_2021-02-21-18-11-16-33.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2021 at 6:37 AM Post #55,198 of 100,450
TRN-TA1

That's interesting, did they reverse course for the production units or have they posted the FR graph from the development/"Beta" stage ?

(Larry Fulton's graph)
That store graph looks decidedly V-shaped, but @TechnoidFR's unit FR seems closer to Larry Fulton's "Production" graph.

Feb 21, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #55,200 of 100,450
After several months, i finally got around to listening to my Bose Soundsport iems, though the way they sit in the ear, i'm more apt to call these ear buds vs monitors or in ears or whatever you want to call them. These are essentially earbuds, and they are the best sounding "ear buds" i've ever heard. Not sure why I sat on them for so long (probably because of the rep Bose had, but my daughter has Bose speakers in her car and they sound fantastic and better than the Harman's in my Ford). I finally cracked the box open and gave them a spin on my new phone, and they have a very balanced and detailed sound. I would say a very FUN sound. Very musical. The bass isn't thundering or bleeding into mids, and the highs are nice and sparkly, but rather controlled. They aren't the most detailed, but the stage is wide and they present enough details to show a CLEAR sound. For a pair of workout sports buds, they are fantastic and the earfit tips make it a much more comfortable wear than average ear buds. I'm glad I finally got around to using them, because they are definitely superior to my VE Monks and my SFR KP120's, both of which sit in a box in my closet because i generally don't dig ear buds.

IMG_4961.jpgIMG_4962.jpgBose.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back