The discovery thread!
Feb 12, 2021 at 1:34 AM Post #55,036 of 106,680
Haha I was kiddin about that.

I know covid is raging in certain areas, and assuming there's no lockdown, and if there's some local audio shops, might be a cheaper option to go down and audition some sets if possible. Hygeine is a worry, though the shops I've been to do sterilize the eartips with alcohol wipes after an audition session. Not sure if they wipe down big headphone pads though.

I know some audiophile friends of mine even resort to using an Amazon abuse technique where they buy stuff from Amazon and just return it if they don't like the sound. They go thru multiple CHIFI each month via this. I've not tried that, but not sure if Amazon will ban them sooner or later?

Return on Amazon? Never done that. lol

Feb 12, 2021 at 2:29 AM Post #55,037 of 106,680
Haha I was kiddin about that.

I know covid is raging in certain areas, and assuming there's no lockdown, and if there's some local audio shops, might be a cheaper option to go down and audition some sets if possible. Hygeine is a worry, though the shops I've been to do sterilize the eartips with alcohol wipes after an audition session. Not sure if they wipe down big headphone pads though.

I know some audiophile friends of mine even resort to using an Amazon abuse technique where they buy stuff from Amazon and just return it if they don't like the sound. They go thru multiple CHIFI each month via this. I've not tried that, but not sure if Amazon will ban them sooner or later?
Lol! Yeah, I knew you were joking about buying both. Still, there are many out there that do have the financial means to do that (and I've seen that posted on several threads, multiple times). They buy 2 or 3 different sets; then send back or sell those they don't like. In my area, there are no shops where you can audition iens or headphones. Heck, you can't even buy home audio anymore; unless it's sold at Best Buy. Independent audio shops went out of business many years ago. As for Amazon...I like them and they have a great return policy...but they tend to be more expensive. Tbth tho, I can't bring myself to buy stuff and send it back; just because I don't like how it sounds. To me, that's unethical. If you buy something and it's defective or outright doesn't arrive; then yes, I'd send it back or ask for a refund. To just buy several items and send back what you don't like...kinda reminds me of what they call " tire kickers" in the used car business. Not a big fan of this type of practice; and if too many people do it, Amazon may decide to change their return policy. That would be a shame...just because a few idiots were taking advantage of a liberal return system.

Feb 12, 2021 at 2:31 AM Post #55,038 of 106,680
Deleted double post

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2021 at 2:36 AM Post #55,039 of 106,680
Lol! Yeah, I knew you were joking about buying both. Still, there are many out there that do have the financial means to do that (and I've seen that posted on several threads, multiple times). They buy 2 or 3 different sets; then send back or sell those they don't like. In my area, there are no shops where you can audition iens or headphones. Heck, you can't even buy home audio anymore; unless it's sold at Best Buy. Independent audio shops went out of business many years ago. As for Amazon...I like them and they have a great return policy...but they tend to be more expensive. Tbth tho, I can't bring myself to buy stuff and send it back; just because I don't like how it sounds. To me, that's unethical. If you buy something and it's defective or outright doesn't arrive; then yes, I'd send it back or ask for a refund. To just buy several items and send back what you don't like...kinda reminds me of what they call " tire kickers" in the used car business. Not a big fan of this type of practice; and if too many people do it, Amazon may decide to change their return policy. That would be a shame...just because a few idiots were taking advantage of a liberal return system.

I haven't done it myself so far but I don't see anything wrong with returning stuff you don't like. In fact I believe this is exactly what it's meant for, a substitute for the try before you buy which isn't possible anymore in many cases.

Feb 12, 2021 at 3:41 AM Post #55,040 of 106,680
I went with the Dita Truth. Penon had a sale on it, for $300.00 off, plus I got a further discount, so at that price for a $1,000+ TOTL single dynamic, I couldn't pass it up, so now I wait for the DHL shipment. Should arrive next week?

Feb 12, 2021 at 3:47 AM Post #55,041 of 106,680
@FreeWheelinAudioLuv2
I'd have made the same choice... see Zen's FR ! I'm sure they will be very painful for my ears which such a pina gain! 12db difference between the highest point in bass vs high mids/low highs :sweat_smile:
graph (1).png

Feb 12, 2021 at 3:51 AM Post #55,042 of 106,680
@FreeWheelinAudioLuv2
I'd have made the same choice... see Zen's FR ! I'm sure they will be very painful for my ears which such a pina gain! 12db difference between the highest point in bass vs high mids/low highs :sweat_smile:
graph (1).png

Thanks! That makes me feel good! Plus the Truth got near universal good reviews, so with this, i feel really good about my decision and purchase. can't wait to pop them in!

Feb 12, 2021 at 5:08 AM Post #55,043 of 106,680
I went with the Dita Truth. Penon had a sale on it, for $300.00 off, plus I got a further discount, so at that price for a $1,000+ TOTL single dynamic, I couldn't pass it up, so now I wait for the DHL shipment. Should arrive next week?

The moment of Truth (no pun intended), look forward to your impressions! Please tell us the truth about it!

Feb 12, 2021 at 5:20 AM Post #55,044 of 106,680
no place to audition. for those who've heard the Zen, what are the highs like? Are they smooth? airy? Extended? Are they more MT300/CCA CST or Mofasest Trio/Sony Z5?
Late to reply it seems but I'm still gonna put it here for future reference. The Dunu Zen has a fairly rolled-off treble that doesn't extend much beyond 11KHz to my ears. In fact, from ~9KHz you tend to lose overtones. That being said, it's not too different from the Harman roll-off (Etymotic's DF has a less steep roll-off). So in the end you don't get an airy presentation but most of the information in the treble region is well-defined (and modern recordings boost upper-treble frequencies quite a bit by default so that sorts of compensates for the roll-off). In short: very inoffensive, smooth treble that has good resolution until 10KHz and not a lot of air or extension.
@FreeWheelinAudioLuv2
I'm fairly sensitive to shoutiness and I wouldn't call the Zen's midrange "shouty" by any margin. On some recordings it can get close but never crosses the threshold (the Luna does at times, however). The DITA Truth for example looks scarier to me. Not a lot of pinna gain (so you get de-emphasized vocals which will be recessed in many tracks) and it peaks ~6KHz which might lead to sibilance and/or listening fatigue. I do know it's gonna be a fairly detailed IEM but it might as well be a bit brighter than ideal. Zen avoids sounding bright/harsh and is just what I'd call "organic" sounding.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2021 at 5:42 AM Post #55,045 of 106,680
That 2.5k hump in the Zen reminds me of the same in Blessing 2. And B2 can definitely get hot in the mids department.
@RikudouGoku When reviewing the Zen, could you keep this in mind and drop a line how they compare?

1613126506699.png

Feb 12, 2021 at 7:18 AM Post #55,046 of 106,680
IMG_20210212_200635075~2.jpg

So I was saying last night that the main issue with the Smabat X1 is that the basshead tuning setting destroys everything beyond the mid-bass while the vocals tuning takes nearly all of the low frequencies and puts them in the dumpster. Clearly, the drivers themselves are capable of both resolving mids and providing low-end kick - it's just that the tuning switches force you choose one or the other.

That's where our old friend, EQ, comes in. With the X1 in switches-down mode, that little bump you see above preserves the glorious mids while adding some weight and body back to the overall signature. And yes, I like what I'm hearing even better now.

EQ setting: +2, +3, +2.5, +1, 0 to end.
DSEE HX: On, Male Vocals
DC Phase Linearizer: On, Type B Low
Dynamic Normaliser/Vinyl Processor: Off

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2021 at 7:36 AM Post #55,047 of 106,680
IMG_20210212_200635075~2.jpg

So I was saying last night that the main issue with the Smabat X1 is that the basshead tuning setting destroys everything beyond the mid-bass while the vocals tuning takes nearly all of the low frequencies and puts them in the dumpster. Clearly, the drivers themselves are capable of both resolving mids and providing low-end kick - it's just that the tuning switches force you choose one or the other.

That's where our old friend, EQ, comes in. With the X1 in switches-down mode, that little bump you see above preserves the glorious mids while adding some weight and body back to the overall signature. And yes, I like what I'm hearing even better now.

EQ setting: +2, +3, +2.5, +1, 0 to end.
DSEE HX: On, Male Vocals
DC Phase Linearizer: On, Type B Low
Dynamic Normaliser/Vinyl Processor: Off

EQ, when judiciously used, gets me closer to a blissful listening experience! 👍

Feb 12, 2021 at 8:12 AM Post #55,048 of 106,680
That 2.5k hump in the Zen reminds me of the same in Blessing 2. And B2 can definitely get hot in the mids department.
@RikudouGoku When reviewing the Zen, could you keep this in mind and drop a line how they compare?

Dont worry, I will probably have so many comparisons you will get sick of seeing the wall of text lol. :joy:

Also @kmmbd is right about the treble (although I wouldnt call it safe), the upper treble roll-off is very noticeable and it does cause a lack of air and micro-details. I basically agree with crinacle on that point.
But the surprising thing is that even though that amount of lower-treble should be too much for me...I can actually handle it. It is very refined and doesnt sound particularly peaky as the graph would imply.

The bass and the mids though are amazing on it. Technicalities are also very good, especially the instrument separation and the imaging, very accurate and macro-details are very good as well (but is probably helped by the treble quantity as well). Soundstage though is not the biggest I have heard, but it is above average. While micro-details are sorely lacking (thanks to the upper treble roll-off).

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2021 at 8:15 AM Post #55,049 of 106,680
IMG_20210212_211253235.jpg

Size comparison between the X1 and the SSR, if you were wondering...

IMG_20210212_211742240.jpg

X1 versus the TD06/Openheart Resin/Black Bat​

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #55,050 of 106,680
Good choice! I auditioned it on a summit tour and found it delightful all rounder

Users who are viewing this thread

Back