The discovery thread!
Jan 12, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #53,881 of 100,494
He ripped you off with the cable too? I bet it was a return? Yeah, i'm never doing business with that rip off artist.
I saw nothing to suggest it was a return, and there really are no third-party cables with those mmcx connectors, so maybe I just got a unit from a batch with some crappy cable.

Jan 12, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #53,882 of 100,494
Hallelujah!!! WOW! I received my brand spankin' new Sony A55 to basically upgrade and replace my A45, and i put in the Mr Walkman firmware and holy smokes, it immediately elevated the sound to the level of my Hiby R5!! The features and sound improved, and leaves the sound of my A45 in the dust. apparently i can also use this firmware for my A45, so i'm going to do that, though even with exFAT, it will only read up to 256GB chips, so i'll probably just upload the firmware, then retire it with my other old ass Sony's. The sound of the A55 now is incredibly wide, spacious, airy, with very articulate and punchy bass, with extended but very controlled highs. Extremely transparent, like the Hiby. It's even thinner and smaller than the A45. I'm so glad I didn't buy the android run A105 or higher Sony. The battery is going to last way longer, and I imagine the sound can't get much better for the money, so i'm extremely satisfied and now I get to keep going into yet another decade with the sony house sound in my ears.

IMG_4708.jpgIMG_4710.jpgIMG_4712.jpg

In the third photo, is that black cable a Sony proprietary connector?

Jan 12, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #53,883 of 100,494
Listen sir, you are not supposed to say that name. You little work around there won't save you for long from the censor bot. :) You can't even write that name in a PM. Censor bot is always watching and it will adapt to your little trick. :robot:

seeing that even after the ban, people still keep on guerrilla -talking about this brand in various thread and still list them in their profiles is saying something.. I'm starting to think it's a better solution to un-ban it and make them pay as donator/sponsor for this site instead? might be a win-win solution?

Jan 12, 2021 at 7:40 PM Post #53,884 of 100,494
Listen sir, you are not supposed to say that name. You little work around there won't save you for long from the censor bot. :) You can't even write that name in a PM. Censor bot is always watching and it will adapt to your little trick. :robot:
i didn't even know it is banned
what happened?

Jan 12, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #53,885 of 100,494
what happened?

D*mn IIRC. Think it was they copied Sony stuff. So long ago and KZ was doing Audio-Technica copies but they were never banned. A few did that early on to get sales and make money then they stopped doing it. Long time ago whatever it exactly was, and I am certainly against fakes and stuff, but perhaps it could be lifted esp. if KZ who also faked Japan IEMS doesn't deserve a ban.

Sanford :) copying Sony...
1610498847628.png

KZ copying AT...
1610499063436.png

Jan 12, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #53,886 of 100,494
D*mn IIRC. Think it was they copied Sony stuff. So long ago and KZ was doing Audio-Technica copies but they were never banned. A few did that early on to get sales and make money then they stopped doing it. Long time ago whatever it exactly was, and I am certainly against fakes and stuff, but perhaps it could be lifted esp. if KZ who also faked Japan IEMS doesn't deserve a ban.
If certain brands are actually banned for this, I think it’s really silly. Producing a fake/knock-off, and passing it off as the real item, is very different that simply copying the general design of some famous brands. I think most reasonably knowledgeable consumers know that a KZ that looks like a Campfire Audio is gonna sound very different, and I don‘t think Sony lost much sales because of similar looking IEMs. In fact, I think continuing to copy other brand’s designs is a surefire way to limit one’s success.

Jan 12, 2021 at 8:07 PM Post #53,887 of 100,494
In the third photo, is that black cable a Sony proprietary connector?

Yes it is. I'm an unapologetic Sony DAP fanboy and i've had it for years.

Jan 12, 2021 at 8:20 PM Post #53,888 of 100,494
Jan 12, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #53,889 of 100,494
what happened?

I forget the details, but it involved someone from the company tying to influence or buy coverage, I think by obscuring who they were by asking someone else to create an account here on the boards for them. They weren’t following the rules of the board. Not sure if there was an official dialog with higher ups at the company when it happened before the ban took place. It also probably didn’t help that they had a number of “homage” IEMs at the time (I’m borrowing a term from the watch world where companies make watches that look like other watches but are slightly different and have their own branding, vs fake watches which copy the branding, violate intellectual property and attempt to pass themselves off as a watch from another company). Not that I recall anyone from the board directly expressing any concerns over homage IEMs.

Jan 12, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #53,890 of 100,494
Jan 12, 2021 at 9:08 PM Post #53,891 of 100,494
As long as they don't ban NiceHCK, because the NX7 mk III kicks @$$, and i don't care what anybody says...extremely underrated. Their next resin shell iem is going to be their big break through.

Jan 12, 2021 at 9:26 PM Post #53,892 of 100,494
Jan 12, 2021 at 11:01 PM Post #53,893 of 100,494

Sanford :) copying Sony...
1610498847628.png
KZ copying AT...
1610499063436.png

The XBA 6in1 was a very good budget hybrid. Very enjoyable with such a wide soundstage, but the 'phones failed at the connector. Just like the 4in1.

Jan 12, 2021 at 11:18 PM Post #53,894 of 100,494
Jan 12, 2021 at 11:28 PM Post #53,895 of 100,494
Yep. MMCX should be deprecated by now. 2-pin is more widely used now and with good reason. MMCX is just asking to be broken within the IEM and not at the cable, so you need to buy new headphones instead of just a cable.

I won't buy any MMCX headphones at this point.
Yup, very much agreed. I always steer away from anything that uses MMCX. 2 pin isn't perfect either, but it's way better than MMCX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back