The discovery thread!
Nov 22, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #5,012 of 101,018
What was that other DAC you were waiting on?
It only cost $20 too right?

Nov 22, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #5,017 of 101,018
I am listening to it right now just hooked up to my laptop. AMAZING!. Lol! Get yourself a nice upgrade to your lame onboard sound. Seriously I had no idea something this cheap could sound this nice. Plenty of volume coming from my laptop. No need for an amp. Especially since most of you guys just use iems. I am listening to this using my full sized HD595 right now.

Seriously if we did a blind test from the AUNE T1 and from this cheapo $18 dac. I bet you guys would have a hard time figuring out which one has the better sound. It is quite astonishing.. Seriously trust a bro. Though I do have a stern warning. This will be your gateway to DACs.. WARNING!!! 

This DAC comes with just the box and no usb. And I know we argued a bit about USB cords and such. If you do plan on getting this. Get yourself a nicer cheaper audio USB cable like I did..

Lol, you are right Dsnuts the PCM270X, in my case the PCM2702, is the gateway drug to DAC's.  I was astonished the first time I heard it, that is, the Hifiman HM-101.  I really loved it with my Sony MDR-V6.  Then after a week or two, I just stopped listening, and rarely returned to it.

Do you still have the Hifimediy Sabre on the way?

Nov 22, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #5,018 of 101,018
Quote:

Lol, you are right Dsnuts the PCM270X, in my case the PCM2702, is the gateway drug to DAC's.  I was astonished the first time I heard it, that is, the Hifiman HM-101.  I really loved it with my Sony MDR-V6.  Then after a week or two, I just stopped listening, and rarely returned to it.

I'm listening to it right now. Nothing to compare it to but from memory, I like the sound of it more than my old Audioengine D1. I know I like it more than the NFB12's DAC.

Nov 22, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #5,019 of 101,018
I've listened to a lot of DAC's, the prize winners in my experience are like this.

Divided 1st - AK4396 / CS4398
2nd - ES9023

The ES9023 is high performance and quite holographic with speakers, just a little sterile, I found myself using the more 'complete' sounding AK4396 a lot more.  Recently I like the fresher sound of CS4398.

I have to give honourable mention to WM8740 and of course NOS (non-oversampling) DAC's, which are theoretically the most analog of them all.

There are more I've heard which are good in different ways, especially if you include sound-cards and portable players, which all have DAC's in them too.  Naturally, the amp section in any device, can sometimes completely override the sound of the DAC, the amp section is typically quite coloured, unless it has a transparent chip like AD797.  When I say amp section, that includes the line-out.

I was thinking I want the Hifimediy for the office, then I realised I still have Sony Z1070 on the way, and changed my mind. =]

Nov 22, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #5,021 of 101,018
Quote:
I've listened to a lot of DAC's, the prize winners in my experience are like this.

Divided 1st - AK4396 / CS4398
2nd - ES9023

The ES9023 is high performance and quite holographic with speakers, just a little sterile, I found myself using the more 'complete' sounding AK4396 a lot more.  Recently I like the fresher sound of CS4398.

I have to give honourable mention to WM8740 and of course NOS (non-oversampling) DAC's, which are theoretically the most analog of them all.

There are more I've heard which are good in different ways, especially if you include sound-cards and portable players, which all have DAC's in them too.  Naturally, the amp section in any device, can sometimes completely override the sound of the DAC, the amp section is typically quite coloured, unless it has a transparent chip like AD797.  When I say amp section, that includes the line-out.

I was thinking I want the Hifimediy for the office, then I realised I still have Sony Z1070 on the way, and changed my mind. =]

What is the CS4392 like?  That is what I have in my E-MU 0202 USB DAC

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #5,022 of 101,018
Quote:
sorry to repeat the question, but the Hifimediy Sabre USB dac are a no go?

Quote:

Quote:
What was that other DAC you were waiting on?
It only cost $20 too right?

These cost a bit more than double the Ele dac

The Hifimediy Sabre Dac. These are flying off the shelf for these guys that make them with good reason. In theory this should be a nice upgrade to the Ele dac but that is in theory. You guys gotta remember the AUNE T1 @$200 was supposed to be a substantial upgrade to the little Cheapo $18 dac. But that one is packed up ready to be returned. So it will be interesting to hear this little dac.  I ordered this the same time I ordered the Ele so it is taking a bit longer to get to me I hope to see it soon to see how good this is. This costs $45 with $$7 for shipping. Considering how great the little Ele dac sounds, even if this is an upgrade to the sounds I still plan on using the ELE for certain. Item description.

With this DAC we combined the Sabre DAC chip with the quality Tenor TE7022 USB receiver. It accepts up to 96khz/24bit input signals from USB, and it will upsample lower input signals to feed the ES9023 dac chip with 96/khz/24bit signal. This makes it possible to get a great dynamic range of 112db. (in case a 16 bit receiver like pcm2706 were used it would have been limited to 96dB.) It responds to changes in system volume control (on MAC with volume hotkeys).
No drivers required for Windows, Mac and Linux.

Nov 23, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #5,024 of 101,018

What is the CS4392 like?  That is what I have in my E-MU 0202 USB DAC

As for Cirrus Logic, in any real DAC I've only heard the CS4398, their flagship, which was also designed for DVD-Audio and SACD, which Cirrus supports in a couple essays I've read.

These cost a bit more than double the Ele dac

The Hifimediy Sabre Dac. These are flying off the shelf for these guys that make them with good reason. In theory this should be a nice upgrade to the Ele dac but that is in theory.

More than double the ELE, it's also half the cost of the ODAC, and a quarter the cost of the Calyx Coffee, AckoDac AKD-23S, and Dragonfly.

Nov 23, 2012 at 3:32 AM Post #5,025 of 101,018
Hi, I was looking for a DAC for my laptop then I stumbled upon this thread. The ELE DAC looks very promising, however, I was on the verge of buying the Creative USB sound card ($19.99 on Amazon) so I have a question:

How would you compare the ELE to a USB sound card like Creative X-Fi Go Pro or Asus Sonar U3?

TIA :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back