The discovery thread!
Jul 26, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #48,571 of 100,525
...like in jewelry, one thing is “solid gold” and other very different is “gold plated”.
Solid and plated gold look, feel and taste absolutely the same - the beauty there is truly skin-deep :)

For the drivers though, the continuity and integrity of the film is crucial, so material - beryllium, CNT, "graphene", DLC - may be secondary to the properties of the film/membrane and how it is integrated into a driver design.

Jul 26, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #48,572 of 100,525
Yeah I heard beryllium is toxic to process.

I wonder what happens if the beryllium driver breaks down over the years, does it release toxic dust particles? Especially since it is so near the ears, that might be dangerous!

Though with how fast this CHIFI industry moves, maybe by next month, another CHIFI hypetrain would have arrived and the current beryllium IEM would be in the drawer or listed on the second hand sales page.
One need to inhale quite a bit of fine dust (beryllium oxide), which should accumulate in the lung rather than kill by traces, so to the end users hazards are minimal.
The case of beryllium dust was one of the earliest and best documented industrial toxicity/hazard cases, so now it is treated very much as "better safe than sorry".

Jul 26, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #48,573 of 100,525
Last edited:
Jul 26, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #48,574 of 100,525
I would think pure Beryllium would cost a fortune. Anybody know how expensive pure Beryllium is?
It is and it really make a difference in sound! Like Dunu Luna or the Utopias. What I’m not sure is about the beryllium plated. Will it make an audible difference? They are not expensive, so I’m not complaining about prices, just wanna know about performance.

Jul 26, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #48,575 of 100,525
A bit of Sunday reading. X-Ones so close to getting out something special.
DSC07367.JPG
Of course these tips and cables are not included. But is exactly what these need to shine.
The tips that come with these things. Lol. https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/anew-x-one.24512/reviews

Jul 26, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #48,576 of 100,525
... Anyways for those that have heard both the recently released Fiio FD1 and Jade Audio EA1, do you guys concur the driver and tuning is similar? Is it cost effective to get the FD1 which is double the price?
I don’t know if anyone else bought both, but to answer your question: yes, no

Jul 26, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #48,577 of 100,525
Yeah I heard beryllium is toxic to process.

I wonder what happens if the beryllium driver breaks down over the years, does it release toxic dust particles? Especially since it is so near the ears, that might be dangerous!

Though with how fast this CHIFI industry moves, maybe by next month, another CHIFI hypetrain would have arrived and the current beryllium IEM would be in the drawer or listed on the second hand sales page.
I think that's a fairly cynical way to look at it. The way I see it, if ChiFi companies now have new materials and processes available to them, it opens up more opportunities for us to get more varied tuning/performance options, rather than the same KZ/CCA/TRN hybrid variants being spit out every couple of months.

Sure, it wouldn't surprise me if we see some poorly implemented budget beryllium DD or hybrid sets over the coming months. The good sets will stay in people's collections. I haven't ditched my carbon nanotube DD sets just because I am currently enjoying a beryllium set.

Jul 26, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #48,578 of 100,525
It is and it really make a difference in sound! Like Dunu Luna or the Utopias. What I’m not sure is about the beryllium plated. Will it make an audible difference? They are not expensive, so I’m not complaining about prices, just wanna know about performance.

Plated and VPD drivers are nothing new. They have many different driver coatings and diaphragm materials, and they all have different characteristics - titanium, magnesium, aluminum, titanium nitride, DLC, carbon nanotube, beryllium, graphite, mica, polyfiber, etc.

However, the design and tuning is the most important factor by far. Not if/what driver diaphragm material or coating is used.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #48,579 of 100,525
Jul 27, 2020 at 12:04 AM Post #48,582 of 100,525
Also periodic be

But is that a beryllium driver or a beryllium coated driver..?

Dunu confirmed recently that the Luna's driver costs them around $120 per unit and that the machinery to make the driver cost them more than 100K.

Jul 27, 2020 at 12:10 AM Post #48,583 of 100,525
But is that a beryllium driver or a beryllium coated driver..?

Dunu confirmed recently that the Luna's driver costs them around $120 per unit and that the machinery to make the driver cost them more than 100K.

g425BERLIUM-o_other18.jpg

Periodic BE has a pure beryllium foil driver similar to the LUNA.
Periodic Audio makes their own drivers. Dunu outsources theirs.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020 at 12:15 AM Post #48,584 of 100,525
Sorry, but I find that very hard to believe, since Periodic Audio sells their beryllium IEMs for $299 (new) and $199 blemished ( with minor imperfections on the shell).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back