The discovery thread!
Dec 8, 2018 at 11:56 PM Post #40,591 of 103,517
Is that for real? When are you getting it?
Would love to hear your impressions.

No, I'm saying, from the last few things people have said, and considering it's similar in how it's implemented. I guess I meant to ask that as a question to the kpe owners, my bad, not trying to confuse anyone. I need to order something soon, I keep going back and fourth and changing my mind on my next in ear, it's getting absolutely ridiculous there's too many choices nowadays

Dec 8, 2018 at 11:59 PM Post #40,592 of 103,517
No, I'm saying, from the last few things people have said, and considering it's similar in how it's implemented. I guess I meant to ask that as a question to the kpe owners, my bad, not trying to confuse anyone. I need to order something soon, I keep going back and fourth and changing my mind on my next in ear, it's getting absolutely ridiculous there's too many choices nowadays
Oh okay. Yeah there are a million options out there, and you don't really know much till you actually listen to them in person.
What's your budget? What are you leaning towards?
I need a totl dap, as far as iems, I am going to at can jam LA. Will check out everything there.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2018 at 12:06 AM Post #40,593 of 103,517
I agree the Magaosi K5 and DM6 are almost opposite. I purchased both at the same time. Though I like the bass on the DM6.....so I like it better, but the K5 is good sounding. A combination of the two would be a perfect mix to me.

The Magaosi K5 fits great, has a nice cable and is made well, but don’t drop it. It scales up nice and has plenty of detail for the asking price. I have never seen a smaller sound opening though?

A magosi k5 with much better and bigger bass, it is exactly what the magaosi k6 promessed with two knowles BAs for bass. It is in the eaephone description at penon

Dec 9, 2018 at 12:21 AM Post #40,594 of 103,517
Oh okay. Yeah there are a million options out there, and you don't really know much till you actually listen to them in person.
What's your budget? What are you leaning towards?

Originally it was 800, then my new boss decided to say no more overtime even though it's really needed, anyways....now it's probably 200, which I don't know if it's worth it or not but these moondrop kanas sound like they may actually be what I've been seeking. Which is a more lush mid version of the ex1k. The really bad part about the ex1k by the way, is you have to be able to get the right seal and tips for yourself. I've tried so many tips, and end up really hearing why it's constantly said to lean towards a thin/bright sig. But for whatever reason, my ear shape and the stock tips without the foam, just works. Especially on the zx300. The treble isn't harsh or fatiguing, and the bass is just right. Mids aren't recessed by much but nothing really grabs you and pulls you into the music itself, it's more that you hear every last detail, in a giant soundstage. Which is amazing but not necessarily immersive. So, that's where the moondrop comes into play. I love the sound of DD, I don't think I'll get a BA based iem that'll get me where I want to go without going to the andromeda, which is probably where I need to go but, since someone said earlier the kanas pro is possibly the DD version of the andomeda, it got me lusting for it. I know we all hear different, and maybe I'll dislike it, but dang it I need to pull the trigger on something soon or I'm going to lose my mind!

Dec 9, 2018 at 12:37 AM Post #40,595 of 103,517
Originally it was 800, then my new boss decided to say no more overtime even though it's really needed, anyways....now it's probably 200, which I don't know if it's worth it or not but these moondrop kanas sound like they may actually be what I've been seeking. Which is a more lush mid version of the ex1k. The really bad part about the ex1k by the way, is you have to be able to get the right seal and tips for yourself. I've tried so many tips, and end up really hearing why it's constantly said to lean towards a thin/bright sig. But for whatever reason, my ear shape and the stock tips without the foam, just works. Especially on the zx300. The treble isn't harsh or fatiguing, and the bass is just right. Mids aren't recessed by much but nothing really grabs you and pulls you into the music itself, it's more that you hear every last detail, in a giant soundstage. Which is amazing but not necessarily immersive. So, that's where the moondrop comes into play. I love the sound of DD, I don't think I'll get a BA based iem that'll get me where I want to go without going to the andromeda, which is probably where I need to go but, since someone said earlier the kanas pro is possibly the DD version of the andomeda, it got me lusting for it. I know we all hear different, and maybe I'll dislike it, but dang it I need to pull the trigger on something soon or I'm going to lose my mind!
I am not a fan of BA's either. Only single drivers for me too. BA's sound fake to my ear for a quite a few reasons.
Have you tried recabling the ex1000 to pure copper balanced 4.4mm.
I know @davidmolliere did that to his, and took all the harshness away, and really helped with the mids.
You might wanna talk to him, and see what he has to say.
Sucks about the overtime cutback, sorry to hear that. Hope that situation changes soon.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2018 at 12:40 AM Post #40,596 of 103,517
Running those Sony badboys balanced helps with the harshness as well, and a good source. They love the DX200amp8.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2018 at 12:42 AM Post #40,597 of 103,517
Running those Sony badboys balanced helps with the harshness as well, and a good source. They love the BX200amp8.
Yup. He has the zx300. Copper 4.4mm balanced will turn them into beasts.
We need @davidmolliere to come in here and describe it. Please :)

Dec 9, 2018 at 12:49 AM Post #40,598 of 103,517
No that's what I'm saying, they aren't harsh to me. But having heard them with different tips, I've heard them sound like how alot of people hear them. I have the stock cable, an eBay 4.4 cable, and a nice full copper 4.4 that a made. I don't find then harsh, at all. They're awesome to me, but as stated, not necessarily immersive. They're bass texture perfection and resolution/imaging monsters, but they don't pull you into music emotionally all the time. So, if the moondrop have more lush mids, and faster bass, I should find them quite enjoyable. But I won't know until I stop procrastinating and thinking about how I'm being selfish, and just buy the stupid things. So, to re iterate, I don't find the ex1k harsh or fatiguing, at all, with the right setups and to my own ears...

Dec 9, 2018 at 12:56 AM Post #40,599 of 103,517
No that's what I'm saying, they aren't harsh to me. But having heard them with different tips, I've heard them sound like how alot of people hear them. I have the stock cable, an eBay 4.4 cable, and a nice full copper 4.4 that a made. I don't find then harsh, at all. They're awesome to me, but as stated, not necessarily immersive. They're bass texture perfection and resolution/imaging monsters, but they don't pull you into music emotionally all the time. So, if the moondrop have more lush mids, and faster bass, I should find them quite enjoyable. But I won't know until I stop procrastinating and thinking about how I'm being selfish, and just buy the stupid things. So, to re iterate, I don't find the ex1k harsh or fatiguing, at all, with the right setups and to my own ears...
Okay. Got it. Sounds like you want a planar or something close. Narrow it down, there should be good options out there.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2018 at 1:01 AM Post #40,600 of 103,517
Okay. Got it. Sounds like you want a planar
And it's your hobby, you love music.
You have to treat yourself every once in a while, or what's the point.

I love planars, just waiting for the technology to really come into its own in iems. As you know I wanted the cl2 but it's out of my price range. The toneking I had ordered but shipping was 2 months which at this point wouldn't have been too bad. BUT, seems like the more reviews that come in on the bl1, the more I think they wouldn't have been for me. Same goes for the dm6, all BA, which I'm sure is a good in ear, but not what I'm looking for. If I could find a damn hifiman re262, Dynamic, I may be satisfied but, it's been so long since I've heard one, and I've gotten better gear since, maybe they wouldn't be how I recalled. The mids were amazing on those, just lush, involving mids. But, we all know, the brain tends to recall things differently than what they actually were most of the time.

Dec 9, 2018 at 1:09 AM Post #40,601 of 103,517
I love planars, just waiting for the technology to really come into its own in iems. As you know I wanted the cl2 but it's out of my price range. The toneking I had ordered but shipping was 2 months which at this point wouldn't have been too bad. BUT, seems like the more reviews that come in on the bl1, the more I think they wouldn't have been for me. Same goes for the dm6, all BA, which I'm sure is a good in ear, but not what I'm looking for. If I could find a damn hifiman re262, Dynamic, I may be satisfied but, it's been so long since I've heard one, and I've gotten better gear since, maybe they wouldn't be how I recalled. The mids were amazing on those, just lush, involving mids. But, we all know, the brain tends to recall things differently than what they actually were most of the time.
I'd stay away from the DM6. They are good BAs, but BA's nonetheless. I gave them to my sister, she is loving them. They are definitely not what you are looking for.
It's hard, dynamics and single drivers are either super expensive, or super cheap.
There are few in betweens.

Dec 9, 2018 at 1:09 AM Post #40,602 of 103,517
Have to say, the Kanas Pros play in the same ball park. They do sound fuller, with better mids, than the Sony's. Prefer the Kanas, actually, but the sound is close.

Dec 9, 2018 at 1:15 AM Post #40,604 of 103,517
Gt3 superbass. Or the GT3 model
And RHA T20. They are very nice, and what you are looking for. But that cable is a pain in the @$$
I'll ask around see if anything comes up.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back