The discovery thread!
Jul 23, 2016 at 7:53 AM Post #32,326 of 100,600
The LZ cable is available on Aliexpress, just search for LZ cable and it'll show up.

I'm not allowed to link to that seller here so this is the best I can do
wink.gif

HCK has it - http://www.aliexpress.com/item/LZ-Custom-Made-High-Quality-Silver-Plated-Cable-Earphone-Upgrade-Cable-With-MMCX-Ues-For-Shure/32646582591.html

That's the same, right @peter123?

However, you might be able to find it cheaper from some other seller. You never know, it's always worth shopping around a bit.. 
regular_smile .gif

Jul 23, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #32,328 of 100,600
Jul 23, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #32,329 of 100,600
So I've been going back and forth between the V2+ and Air for a couple of hours now. I've been listening to my regular demo list with two different laptops running MediaMonkey with identical settings in both Windows and MM. I've been using my modded T50RP's and some LZ A4 prototype IEM's (wife's home so no open cans yet wink.gif ).

I've got to say that I'm super impressed with the performance from the little Air unit. It comes very close to the V2+ in sound quality and signature. I really don't like talking numbers when it comes to sound but in lack of anything better I'll do an exception and say that based on my rather short listening session with a couple of not super revealing headphones and IEM's the Air has probably 85-90% of the sound from the V2+. As a lover of the V2+ this is of course excellent news, to be able to bring most of the V2+ sq with me wherever I go.

The V2+ may have slightly more air, a bit more controlled and deeper bass but the difference is not big. Apart from that the overall signature is very similar. The V2+ of course has a lot of other features like significantly more power, toslink, coaxial and a couple of analog inputs etc.

I'll do the same exercise again when putting my review together but that time I'll be using some of my more revealing open headphones but so far this really seems as the perfect portable unit for anyone loving the sound of the V2+.

Jul 24, 2016 at 7:05 AM Post #32,333 of 100,600
Jul 24, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #32,335 of 100,600
oops, i should mean comparison. How does the dz7 stand out to lz-a3, super 6 driver tfz series 5  etc 

No worries, the only one I know with it this far is Ericp. Hopefully more will follow.

Jul 24, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #32,336 of 100,600
  TWIN, not sure what those specs mean to make you excited. I would rather like higher sens. like the better A3, TK12 etc. and my Macaw RT-10 are 5-20,000 but that means they are rolled off a bit up top as they are Macaw's Romantic series. Not sure we know what Ownlux' F.R. means compared to brands we know. We also have quite a few dual drivers in customs shape shells with dual 7mm or 10mm and 6mm etc. etc. Not sure any of them have been really standout. Just the specs or have you heard something else??

They look sweet but what if they are 10% better than the Z03A?? Someone will have to be a guinea pig. I've got an IEB6 to review and am a Dark Horse guinea this coming week and I'm saving my other $$ for the DQSM and/or LZ-A2II. So I'm out :frowning2:

Hello jant71,  what is your take on Macaw RT-10?  Sorry if it's already somewhere in here but I missed it and I am curious about your view on these... thanks.

Jul 24, 2016 at 10:16 PM Post #32,337 of 100,600
I think they are quite tip/fit dependent to get the best but solid. they have a certain refinement and they have a solid tuning and the driver behaves well. Thing is they just are not that capable. Fine for my purpose but an entry level model for sound. Smooth warm low end and a rolled top with pretty sweet mids. Laid back sort of sound good for podcasts and things you want to smooth or be forgiving on. Needs some treble EQ otherwise, Still a nice presentation and some bits of goodness are hinted at that make you want to here a better version from macaw. As I said a bit hard to fit to get the right sound or you can not get all the bass and some peaks but there should be a solid low end focus and a smooth rolled top end with the right seal. Cable is quite nice and I like the small straight plug. Case is decent and the fit and finish of the phones is well done even if the shape is the cause of the fit difficulty. Changeable panels are cute though I wish they included the camo ones. A nice total package and good for my need of an over ear podcast friendly smoothing earphone but not the best sound you can get for $20. 

Jul 25, 2016 at 9:16 AM Post #32,338 of 100,600
So I've been going back and forth between the V2+ and Air for a couple of hours now. I've been listening to my regular demo list with two different laptops running MediaMonkey with identical settings in both Windows and MM. I've been using my modded T50RP's and some LZ A4 prototype IEM's (wife's home so no open cans yet wink.gif ).

I've got to say that I'm super impressed with the performance from the little Air unit. It comes very close to the V2+ in sound quality and signature. I really don't like talking numbers when it comes to sound but in lack of anything better I'll do an exception and say that based on my rather short listening session with a couple of not super revealing headphones and IEM's the Air has probably 85-90% of the sound from the V2+. As a lover of the V2+ this is of course excellent news, to be able to bring most of the V2+ sq with me wherever I go.

The V2+ may have slightly more air, a bit more controlled and deeper bass but the difference is not big. Apart from that the overall signature is very similar. The V2+ of course has a lot of other features like significantly more power, toslink, coaxial and a couple of analog inputs etc.

I'll do the same exercise again when putting my review together but that time I'll be using some of my more revealing open headphones but so far this really seems as the perfect portable unit for anyone loving the sound of the V2+.

Would be nice to see some comparison with the Mojo!

Jul 25, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #32,339 of 100,600
Would be nice to see some comparison with the Mojo!

Yes I agree, unfortunately that doesn't seem to be possible for me anytime soon :frowning2:

The other guy that has heard it compares it to the Mojo here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/812863/conductor-air-pocket-sized-usb-dac-headphone-amp-remote-controlled-preamp/60

Fwiw, I'll be getting the Audinst HUD-DX1 and IFI micro iDSD in for comparison......

The HUD-DX1 should arrive already tomorrow.

Jul 25, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #32,340 of 100,600
Yes I agree, unfortunately that doesn't seem to be possible for me anytime soon
frown.gif

The other guy that has heard it compares it to the Mojo here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/812863/conductor-air-pocket-sized-usb-dac-headphone-amp-remote-controlled-preamp/60

Fwiw, I'll be getting the Audinst HUD-DX1 and IFI micro iDSD in for comparison......

The HUD-DX1 should arrive already tomorrow.

Woot, woot that is going to be some fun listening there buddy
biggrin.gif

Jant, you really need to try the Unmentionable D2
wink_face.gif

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back