The discovery thread!
Jun 4, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #1,951 of 106,499
Quote:
Those who ordered both FX40 & FX101, which did you like the most?

Right now it's the FX40 hands down. Better clarity with bass that reaches just as low as the 101 without getting in the way of the rest of the music.

Disclaimer: This is probably not a fair comparison at this point since I've got about 20 more hours burn on the FX40 than I do on the 101s.

Jun 4, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #1,953 of 106,499
Technically the FX40 wins..Was listening to Bob Marley Legend this morning. Perfect on the FX40.The bass does come in fuller on the FX101 however..I like em both. I am a fan of both sound signatures. So it is a win win for me. I should be getting my FX3X soon as well. Will report back.

Jun 4, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #1,954 of 106,499
Quote:
Juding by the pictures I think the Philips SHE3580 would be more comfortable judging by the size of the housing.

I've found the SHE3580 to be much more comfortable than the FX40 when it comes to both lying down on a pillow and general wear. The angle to the fx40's nozzle causes some pressure on the ear's tragus when lying on a pillow.

Jun 4, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #1,955 of 106,499
Just bought the FX40. I was hoping to price match both the FX40 and FX101 and get them both for less than $50 but Future Shop won't price match with buy.com.

Going to burn these in and listen to them using my UE tips that I got from a friend. I'll give you my impressions later tonight.

Jun 4, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #1,956 of 106,499
I've had these fx101s for a few days now, and while they don't have all that much burn in - i really enjoy them.

They're bass phones done as good as possible at the price point - that's my most apt description. I'm no bass-head and i really do like them. It's like having a subwoofer in your ears, but a finely tuned subwoofer. Sure it's not as detailed, separated, or clear as the FX40s - yet the sound is just plain pleasant.

I really like the FX40s, but they are just plain physically painful to listen to for my ears. The FX101s aren't as fast, but they don't hurt. I can listen to the foofighters without feeling every cymbal like a pin to the eardrum, and as a result i can wear these phones for long periods of times. They also sound better at low volumes than the 40's.

Again, it appears I've got weird ears here, but i gotta say that the 101s are good.

A point worth mentioning is that for whatever reason the FX101s are almost entirely different amped. Put through my c421, they actually open up quite a bit, and while still not as crisp or detailed as the FX40s, the highs and mids come through the still-present awesome bass.
Is anyone else amping their FX101?

they also isolate much better.
I'm a happy camper. the SHE3580 has been replaced with these 101s for pocket duty for now.

I wonder how these'll change with burn-in...

So Dsnuts, what's next?
tongue.gif

Jun 4, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #1,957 of 106,499
Woo! Finally found a tip that works for me on the FX40s. None of the stock tips sealed for me, the only thing I could get working were my trusty beloved sony hybrids. Problem with those tips was the shorter stem meant the IEM had to be deeper and put pressure on my tragus.

About 15 miscellaneous tips later I finally found some that seal. It took a little bit of work to get them over the large nozzle, but the clear tips from my MEE CW31s seals and is comfortable on the ear. Now I can leave my hybrids on the MMDTs. So far the FX40s haven't softened on the highs enough for me to feel comfortable letting the MMDTs go.

Jun 4, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #1,958 of 106,499
Quote:
Woo! Finally found a tip that works for me on the FX40s. None of the stock tips sealed for me, the only thing I could get working were my trusty beloved sony hybrids. Problem with those tips was the shorter stem meant the IEM had to be deeper and put pressure on my tragus.

About 15 miscellaneous tips later I finally found some that seal. It took a little bit of work to get them over the large nozzle, but the clear tips from my MEE CW31s seals and is comfortable on the ear. Now I can leave my hybrids on the MMDTs. So far the FX40s haven't softened on the highs enough for me to feel comfortable letting the MMDTs go.

I had to look up tragus, Bjaadker. I thought it was Norseman talk for eardrum, lol. 

It's defined as a prominence on the inner side of the external ear, in front of and partly closing the passage to the organs of hearing. I didn't know that. 
redface.gif

Jun 4, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #1,960 of 106,499
101's are a freakin steal for $20! I bought them at Sears instead of buying them a little cheaper and waiting a few days, man these things are awesome straight out of the box! I feel these will rival and most likely be better then my old Xears Resonance. Although i feel these feel a tad bit short with the bass hype. Still awesome bass hough. Im sure it will all start to sound better when they get burned in

Jun 4, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #1,962 of 106,499
Just bought the FX40. I was hoping to price match both the FX40 and FX101 and get them both for less than $50 but Future Shop won't price match with buy.com.

Going to burn these in and listen to them using my UE tips that I got from a friend. I'll give you my impressions later tonight.

The big nozzle issue that I had with the HifiMAN RE-252 is annoying though. Anyone found tips that could replace the small hybrid tips that I tried on them (only to end up with uneven sound).

Jun 4, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #1,963 of 106,499
I noticed one thing about the fx3x vs 101s that the 3x is more airy while handling deeper bass note while maintaining clarity....and also that the 101 has a tinny hole in the mesh filter thats why it is has more treble...i bet if i make a small hole in the mesh of the 3x it will have amazing clarity and still amazing rich lushish deep bass and soundstage....hmm should i try it???
Dsnuts try it on the fx1x and tell me if you like the changes.

Jun 4, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #1,965 of 106,499
I got the FX101's today.  Straight out of the box, I notice the bass and treble.  Bass is big but not super boomy.  Seems like it should be the definition of "V" shaped but the mids are not recessed at all.  Vocals actually sound pretty good.  The bass does not offend me one bit but the "ssss" in vocals are bothersome right now.  Big soundstage, quite a lively set of phones.  Very light and comfortable.  I'm not a fan of the tips so I put on some sony hybrids since I do not have any wide nozzle replacements on hand.  The bass just increased by two fold but I like it.  Takes away the clarity a bit also, so might not be the solution.  Keeps the sibilance down a notch so I'll keep testing and burn these babies in for a few days.  What really puzzles me is that I've spent so much $$ on expensive phones and there's little gems like this one around that's not bad at all.  My FX40's and SHE3580's should be here in a couple of days to compare.  Now to head over to the CKM500 thread and do a initial impression of the CKM500 vs CKM1000's.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back