The discovery thread!
Jan 14, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #19,021 of 106,644
  congratulations  you got what you wanted!  looking forward DS to your review....
since Geek Plus delayed, i went ahead and got the Audioquest Dragonfly v1.2 dad  delivered today.  out of the box
sounds muddy and constrained, like music is squeezing through it. they recommend at least 20 hrs of burn in, but
I'm sure more than that would be more better.  my ol version 1.0 has thousands of yours on it and it just flows music
like water downhill.  can't wait to hear it sing with the new circuit and power improvements!

I am a fan of this man.. If you guys don't know Dr blue he is truly a one of a kind enthusiast that have supported most of not all of the great discoveries of this thread..He has become a good friend of mine and this man has more knowledge than you guys would know about many if not all things regarding our hobby. I appreciate your wisdom and enthusiasm always. Will report soon on the H3s.
beerchug.gif

Thanks d marc0..Good job on your thread by the way.. I feel like I am surrounded by like minded individuals all seeking that sound perfection..These are great times to be in this hobby..

Jan 14, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #19,022 of 106,644
Approaching 1,000 posts with my DUNU DN-1000 approaching my mailbox!
wink.gif
sweet!

Congratulations, meng! You're so close!

But anyway, I'm going to quote Peter123's quick camparison between the three earphones that I've wanted over the past year. Being the GN that I am, I'm going to correct it a bit. 
evil_smiley.gif
 Nobody will suspect a thing, really, so don't mind me.
So, someone asked for a comparison between the Gratitudes, Havi B3 and the Piston 2.0.  
I don't have a lot of time now so it'll have to be the short short version:

The Gratitudes and the Pistons have a similar general sound signature with a nice deep bass and very nice air to their sound. They also have a very nice attack and the sound is lively and in your face. There should be no surprise to anyone here that I really love the Gratitudes and regard them very highly. I think they're a great fun to listen to. As already mentioned the Pistons offer much of the same. The biggest difference between the two would be that the Pistons have more bass quantity. It's not the ususal midbass hump but more of the subbass that makes the Gratitudes so great. The Pistons also seem to be slightly airier overall compared to the Gratitudes. Vocals are also a bit more forward on the Pistons. The Gratitudes were said to bring a "live sound" when they were released and the Pistons does this even more. The bass of the Piston may be a little too much on some tracks but other than that they are truly great.  I would have a really hard time picking a winner between these two. 

The Havi B3's, on the other hand, are pretty much the opposite (if that's possible in sound) of the Piston's. They are much more well balanced. The bass doesn't reach as low but it neither gets boomy nor too much either. Still, they don't feel bass light and belive me, I love my bass. Music is presented in a very relaxed way. The airiness of the Pistons is gone but instead there's a very nice weight to every tone. String instruments and voices are just amazing. Someone else metioned earleier that Infected Mushrooms sounded great with the B3's and that is very true. There's something in the way they present music that makes it feel very unforced (if that makes sense).

One thing worth mentioning about the B3's is that there apparently are several versions of them. I bought mine from a listing stating they were the "Professional" tuned ones and also got that confirmed from the seller when asking. However, since there are no visual signs to tell the different versions from each other I cannot be 100% sure.

I've been listening to all three from my Magni with the Fiio X3 line out as source and from my computer through the Udac2. I'm using Sony hybrid tips on the Piston's and Sony foam hybrid tips on the B3's. I've also struggled a bit with the fit on the B3's and finally ended up adding some earglides so I'm happy now.

Well, I have to say, I like the comparison so far. Now I'm waiting on some pictures and the full, comprehensive review.
Hey IEMagnet, when are you going to make a comparison between the DN1k and the Pistons?

Jan 14, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #19,023 of 106,644
Do not throw away that hard paper package because on it are instructions for wrapping it on the holder and the L/R orientation saying that the ridged one is the right. I was scratching my head when I got it because the two sides were *almost* identical until I reviewed the package.

There are other things written but I do not know how to read Chinese.

I guess that's exactly what I said (IIRC I mentioned it in my review): Read the box, assuming you didn't throw it away. If you have the time, snap a photo of it, just in case. I still have the box with me, actually. 
biggrin.gif

So yeah, let me say this again: Read. The. *******ed. BOX. You won't regret it. 
beerchug.gif

Jan 14, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #19,024 of 106,644

Nice write up vlenbo!  
beerchug.gif

Thanks eric! Continue enjoying those h-3s, I hope sony doesn't discontinue these like they supposedly did with the ex1000s. 
beerchug.gif

Got my H3s tonight. They sound so lush and full from the get go..Will have more on them once I get some burn in happening.

And yes these are tuned similar to my SRH1540s..Exactly what I was looking for!!

hoho, wait until it burns in, it'll sound pretty vivacious. Not as lively as say...the im-02s, or doppios, but it is there, and damn, it puts a wide smile to my face.

The soundstage on these things is astounding, better than the xba-40 from memory  to be honest! Already better than all of my iems, especially the im-02s, which does a good job in providing a decently wide soundstage and positioning.

How's them highs and lows going for you, DS? 
etysmile.gif

Edit: If you want it to sound more lush, even just a tiny bit, as well as tighter bass, go get those UE tips, you'll want to hear it! 

Jan 14, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #19,025 of 106,644
Jan 14, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #19,026 of 106,644
  I guess that's exactly what I said (IIRC I mentioned it in my review): Read the box, assuming you didn't throw it away. If you have the time, snap a photo of it, just in case. I still have the box with me, actually. 
biggrin.gif

So yeah, let me say this again: Read. The. *******ed. BOX. You won't regret it. 
beerchug.gif

Yes sir it was in your review
beerchug.gif
. You also mentioned that the volume buttons are android only, which I read AFTER posting here that it didn't work on apple, making me look like a
confused.gif

Jan 14, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #19,027 of 106,644

Yes sir it was in your review
beerchug.gif
. You also mentioned that the volume buttons are android only, which I read AFTER posting here that it didn't work on apple, making me look like a
confused.gif

First time I've seen an iem working on an android and not on an apple. 

The kefs looked as though it could work for both, even though I did know it was for apple only. Dang it all!

I want some volume control on mine! Though I don't care to be honest, I like handling my phone to lower the volume or to switch songs.

Jan 14, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #19,028 of 106,644
OK, like the Pistons, quite a bit, actually, but ain't trading anyone my W4's for a pair...
H3 sounds interesting, should get my 1540's in the next day or so, does one need an iem that reminds/has similar sound sig of the over ear? (Need is a very fluid concept around here, though...)

Jan 14, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #19,029 of 106,644
(just caught up with the last day's posts, gotta go sleep, exhausting)

Jan 14, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #19,030 of 106,644
OK, like the Pistons, quite a bit, actually, but ain't trading anyone my W4's for a pair...
H3 sounds interesting, should get my 1540's in the next day or so, does one need an iem that reminds/has similar sound sig of the over ear? (Need is a very fluid concept around here, though...)

All depends, is it worth forking another 300+ for that? I would say that you should wait until it hits $200 or less.

Jan 14, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #19,031 of 106,644
  Congratulations, meng! You're so close!

But anyway, I'm going to quote Peter123's quick camparison between the three earphones that I've wanted over the past year. Being the GN that I am, I'm going to correct it a bit. 
evil_smiley.gif
 Nobody will suspect a thing, really, so don't mind me.
Well, I have to say, I like the comparison so far. Now I'm waiting on some pictures and the full, comprehensive review.
Hey IEMagnet, when are you going to make a comparison between the DN1k and the Pistons?

As soon as the DN-1000 get their slow ass to my doorstep from China. It's taken longer to get my DUNU than to get my Piston. Tracking has them docked in San Francisco, so I suspect they should be here by Friday at the earliest? Then it's gettin' down to business comparing time. :wink:

Jan 14, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #19,032 of 106,644
Last for the night, KEF has quality problems, my left channel is out. If I ever get a few minutes, have to find receipt and fight with them about it (other posters have mentioned that they are not gracious about defective headphones, tried to stonewall some).

Jan 14, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #19,033 of 106,644
Last for the night, KEF has quality problems, my left channel is out. If I ever get a few minutes, have to find receipt and fight with them about it (other posters have mentioned that they are not gracious about defective headphones, tried to stonewall some).

+1

Jan 14, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #19,034 of 106,644

All depends, is it worth forking another 300+ for that? I would say that you should wait until it hits $200 or less.

How much it's worth is a subjective thing, definitely get to diminishing returns as $ go up, but, hey, a $50 steak isn't 2.5 times better or more filling than a $20 one, but, if you've had one from a good place (in the NY area, Peter Lugers is a great place to do this), the experience is heavenly! That top tier that costs a ton does have rewards that, while not proportional in dollars spent, can change the subjective experience/enjoyment considerably.

(and, being Head-Fi Bargain hunter, managed to find W4, and W3, for about $125 each...W4 is for sale places in the $250 range off and on...)

Jan 14, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #19,035 of 106,644
(really do have to get to bed, set up burn in on my replacement Gratitudes, since my daughter claimed the other ones...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back