The discovery thread!
Dec 11, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #17,416 of 106,504
  ^ Nice Doc! Which tips are you using?

Tried Comply, others, would up doing the best with the large tips included with the KEF's. Didn't expect good fit, I'm generally difficult to fit, these have the odd shape with the ear hooks (some others have this), shallow fit iems give me problems, had a pretty easy time with these and really like them.

Dec 11, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #17,417 of 106,504
oops, double post, computer hiccup...

Dec 11, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #17,418 of 106,504
I have received the Yamaha a couple of days ago.

HPH200 has very airy sound, which ironically is its main disadvantage.
It's like the sound is coming from further away, as if somebody pulled the headphones back a little bit.
Because of this, there is no intimacy, vocals sound artificial.
Mid-bass is boomy, sub-bass non-existent - just as its FR graph would suggest:

Disappointing to say the least.

Currently my portable's ranking:
JVC HA-S680 > JVC HA-S400 >= Audio Technica ATH-ES700 > Yamaha HPH-200

Dec 11, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #17,419 of 106,504

Tried Comply, others, would up doing the best with the large tips included with the KEF's. Didn't expect good fit, I'm generally difficult to fit, these have the odd shape with the ear hooks (some others have this), shallow fit iems give me problems, had a pretty easy time with these and really like them.

Interesting. Couldn't get a seal with the large stock tips. A righteous dude sent me some tips to try (based on ericp10's excellent recommendations), and both the UE TF10  and the Comply Ts500 tips are working great for me with the M200's. So much so, that I can see what all of the M200 fuss is about... sounding 'friggin awesome!

Dec 11, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #17,420 of 106,504
  I have received the Yamaha a couple of days ago.

HPH200 has very airy sound, which ironically is its main disadvantage.
It's like the sound is coming from further away, as if somebody pulled the headphones back a little bit.
Because of this, there is no intimacy, vocals sound artificial.
Mid-bass is boomy, sub-bass non-existent - just as its FR graph would suggest:

Disappointing to say the least.

Currently my portable's ranking:
JVC HA-S680 > JVC HA-S400 >= Audio Technica ATH-ES700 > Yamaha HPH-200

Some of that sounds like my general problem with open headphones, which generally are "arier", have wide soundstage, but the "airiness" diffuses instrumental timbers. The Yamaha have some of this to my ears, but the drive and excitement they generate make up for it to me. (I expected to dislike them, would up a fan)

Dec 11, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #17,421 of 106,504

Is this what you were looking for? What can you tell me about the headphones/mods?

An acquaintance of mine is in the process of doing some top secret experimentations. I would tell you more about the mods now, but then I'd also have to kill you. Therefore we will have to wait for a safer time to do so! 
biggrin.gif

So, you thought this was just going away, huh? Heh Heh HEh!!! Willing to come clean yet, huh, huh, huh??!!!! (still not ready to die for it, though...)

Dec 11, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #17,422 of 106,504
  Some of that sounds like my general problem with open headphones, which generally are "arier", have wide soundstage, but the "airiness" diffuses instrumental timbers. The Yamaha have some of this to my ears, but the drive and excitement they generate make up for it to me. (I expected to dislike them, would up a fan)

HE-400 and AD900X don't sound like they are playing far from the ear, HPH-200 does.
It reproduces the music OK, but because it sounds so distant, I can't get emotionally connected.
And after getting used to S680 and HE-400 bass, I just can't compromise on the muddiness anymore.

Dec 11, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #17,423 of 106,504
Interesting. Couldn't get a seal with the large stock tips. A righteous dude sent me some tips to try (based on ericp10's excellent recommendations), and both the UE TF10  and the Comply Ts500 tips are working great for me with the M200's. So much so, that I can see what all of the M200 fuss is about... sounding 'friggin awesome!

Hear, hear! The ue900 tip recommendations and to 10 do it justice! The bass opened up for me and am revisiting of game music that had a lot of bass I enjoyed. That doesn't end there as my Jpop collection has been revisited, and one of the most energetic music I have works awesomely with the kefs. Most of my hip hop collection works dang well with it as well. Haven't tried classical or orchestra though...

Dec 11, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #17,424 of 106,504

Have you heard the X1's? Great bass for open phones. Here's the measurements:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/PhilipsFidelioX1.pdf

The bass does start dropping off, but only below 60Hz. Timbre is not bad at all. Mids a bit further back, but not recessed. Nice.

So, you thought this was just going away, huh? Heh Heh HEh!!! Willing to come clean yet, huh, huh, huh??!!!! (still not ready to die for it, though...)

Lol! My T50RP's are in transit to the master modster him/herself. He/she should be getting them around Dec17/13. When it is that said master modster will be able to get the MONTSTER T50RP MODS completed is yet to be determined (holidays and all you know). Once I receive them and have given them the waynes world approval of epicness, then, and only then, all will be divulged! 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 11, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #17,425 of 106,504
Hear, hear! The ue900 tip recommendations and to 10 do it justice! The bass opened up for me and am revisiting of game music that had a lot of bass I enjoyed. That doesn't end there as my Jpop collection has been revisited, and one of the most energetic music I have works awesomely with the kefs. Most of my hip hop collection works dang well with it as well. Haven't tried classical or orchestra though...

Awesome. I'm gonna have to source some of those UE900 tips then.

You gotta get the the proper seal with the M200's. Without = mucho sadness. Good seal = epicness. The bass, mids and highs are so wonderfully balanced and full sounding with a lovely timbre, and without being fatiguing at all. Just a joy to listen to for extended periods.

Dec 11, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #17,426 of 106,504
Lol! My T50RP's are in transit to the master modster him/herself. He/she should be getting them around Dec17/13. When it is that said master modster will be able to get the MONTSTER T50RP MODS completed is yet to be determined (holidays and all you know). Once I receive them and have given them the waynes world approval of epicness, then, and only then, all will be divulged! :veryevil:  

Why not mod them yourself? I thought they were fairly simple to mod. :D

Dec 11, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #17,427 of 106,504

Awesome. I'm gonna have to source some of those UE900 tips then.

You gotta get the the proper seal with the M200's. Without = mucho sadness. Good seal = epicness. The bass, mids and highs are so wonderfully balanced and full sounding with a lovely timbre, and without being fatiguing at all. Just a joy to listen to for extended periods.

Not only are the ue900s comfy, they look pretty badass with the grey color on the kefs. A silver, black earphone with grey on the nozzle makes it look pretty cool looking. Though it is more of a transparent grey. That is also the reason I posted, lol. The tips are comfy and are great for a seal. I don't know if it varies from person to person though, but some headfiers did recommend these tips, and I am happy they did. It made me realize how much of a...

the stock tips were. 

I concur with your interpretation of the m200's SQ. The mids are somewhat similar to the ck10's smooth sound signature, but also have that crispy sound from the ckn70s that I so enjoy. The exception is that it isn't as crisp and nowhere near silibant of the ckn70's mids, and no where near silibant of the ck10's highs either. Well, I don't actually hear silibance on the ck10's, but I used to. The timbre is similar to the re262s as well, though the re's are still a bit, a tiny bit better. I might sell it though, as it is not night and day difference.

Dec 11, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #17,428 of 106,504
Why not mod them yourself? I thought they were fairly simple to mod.
biggrin.gif

Well, I'm not much of a modster, and from what I am seeing, there's a fair bit to it  and a lot of trial and error. So this time anyway I'm gonna leave it up to the expert. Maybe down the road though I will try my hand at it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back