The discovery thread!
Jun 7, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #36,586 of 99,947
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't the Shanling M0 limited to SBC and LDAC only when receiving ? Unless one has a Android oreo device with LDAC set to default from developer options, they'd have to use SBC, no AAC for iDevices either.

Jun 7, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #36,587 of 99,947
I've got no experience with the M0 but fwiw I find the balanced output of the ES100 to sound better that the M1 (even when playing loseless from the M1's international storage) and I'm quite found of the M1. The M0 is newer though so it might perform even better.
I’m not sure if I have a defective ES100, but the balanced output doesn’t sound much better than unbalanced, and the M0 sounds far better than either output on the ES100. It’s quite an impressive little DAP.

Jun 7, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #36,588 of 99,947
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't the Shanling M0 limited to SBC and LDAC only when receiving ? Unless one has a Android oreo device with LDAC set to default from developer options, they'd have to use SBC, no AAC for iDevices either.
My M0 streams AAC from my iPhone. I tested both SBC and AAC streaming settings and noticed a very large increase in sound. So it’s definitely streaming via AAC. Either they added it in a firmware update afterwards, or they’re referring to receiving from a phone and then sending to Bluetooth headphones. Either way, it sounds incredible. FWIW though, I got mine through Amazon US after it’s international release instead of the Chinese release via AliExpress.

Jun 7, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #36,589 of 99,947
I've got no experience with the M0 but fwiw I find the balanced output of the ES100 to sound better that the M1 (even when playing loseless from the M1's international storage) and I'm quite found of the M1. The M0 is newer though so it might perform even better.
XB10 has balanced also and I don’t want to spend $99 on the es100 if the sound isn’t remarkably better if you know what I mean. M0 attracts me because of ldac and the tiny factor.

Jun 7, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #36,590 of 99,947
My M0 streams AAC from my iPhone. I tested both SBC and AAC streaming settings and noticed a very large increase in sound. So it’s definitely streaming via AAC. Either they added it in a firmware update afterwards, or they’re referring to receiving from a phone and then sending to Bluetooth headphones. Either way, it sounds incredible. FWIW though, I got mine through Amazon US after it’s international release instead of the Chinese release via AliExpress.
Interesting. I got the impression from this infographic.
HTB18TBiopOWBuNjy0Fiq6xFxVXa5.jpg

Jun 7, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #36,591 of 99,947
Interesting. I got the impression from this infographic.
HTB18TBiopOWBuNjy0Fiq6xFxVXa5.jpg
Yeah, that’s the one that I’ve seen before. I saw this right after making the purchase thinking that I’d be getting SBC for receiver mode. They really should clarify this more.

Jun 7, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #36,592 of 99,947
Also, quick turn of events: I ordered another ES100 and they came in no more than 20 minutes ago. After having some initial pairing issues (I’m on an iOS 12 dev beta, so bugs everywhere), now I can confirm that my other ES100 is essentially a dud. They sound incredible now. The midrange finally has definition and texture, while dynamics are addicting. The Shanling M0 still sounds better when comparing the 3.5 mm output of each device, but the balanced output on the ES100 sounds either on par with or a little better than the M0. Now I have both devices and no idea which to keep. May as well keep both I guess!

Jun 7, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #36,593 of 99,947
Anyone else get their HK6s? Some more comparisons to other IEMs would be sweet.

I'm considering asking Dsnuts if he wants to hear my pair of FLC8S to see how they stack up against the HK6s before pulling the trigger.

If I had access to manufacturing costs or profit margins on IEMs I would probably rage. We are soooo getting scalped alive by "high-end" brands, as shown by these lovely Chi-fi toys.

Jun 7, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #36,595 of 99,947
HK6's +1:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Jun 7, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #36,596 of 99,947
Also, quick turn of events: I ordered another ES100 and they came in no more than 20 minutes ago. After having some initial pairing issues (I’m on an iOS 12 dev beta, so bugs everywhere), now I can confirm that my other ES100 is essentially a dud. They sound incredible now. The midrange finally has definition and texture, while dynamics are addicting. The Shanling M0 still sounds better when comparing the 3.5 mm output of each device, but the balanced output on the ES100 sounds either on par with or a little better than the M0. Now I have both devices and no idea which to keep. May as well keep both I guess!

Any tips on identifying a dud? I'm still waiting on balanced output. And still trying to identify the best setting when i use them. find them to be better than wired connection through my oneplus5 smartphone (no surprise, i guess), but worse than my lhl geekout v2+ and probably even ibasso dx14 (from memory). So, not sure how to judge as i haven't heard daps in that range.

Jun 7, 2018 at 7:44 PM Post #36,597 of 99,947
Any tips on identifying a dud? I'm still waiting on balanced output. And still trying to identify the best setting when i use them. find them to be better than wired connection through my oneplus5 smartphone (no surprise, i guess), but worse than my lhl geekout v2+ and probably even ibasso dx14 (from memory). So, not sure how to judge as i haven't heard daps in that range.
I guess the best way is to compare it to a not-so-great source. I compared it to my old iPhone 6s and the defective ES100 sounded awful in comparison. I think it was using SBC, despite me setting it to AAC. If it feels like there’s a lack of resolution/definition in the midrange, then that’s a telltale sign. Otherwise I have no idea. Balanced input is super nice and I’m still fiddling around with settings. Tbh though, the default settings are pretty good so far.

Jun 7, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #36,598 of 99,947
Anyone else get their HK6s? Some more comparisons to other IEMs would be sweet.

I'm considering asking Dsnuts if he wants to hear my pair of FLC8S to see how they stack up against the HK6s before pulling the trigger.

If I had access to manufacturing costs or profit margins on IEMs I would probably rage. We are soooo getting scalped alive by "high-end" brands, as shown by these lovely Chi-fi toys.
Mine are currently being burned in with about 170 hours so far. I like them for most of my music, but there’s just so much mid-bass (which I absolutely hate when emphasized) that gives me a headache. I’m really counting on burn in to help solve this issue. Other than that, the lower-mids can sound a bit muffled, especially compared to the Tin Audio T2. If I don’t like these, I may just sell them, although I’ve never sold anything on here before...

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #36,599 of 99,947
Mine are currently being burned in with about 170 hours so far. I like them for most of my music, but there’s just so much mid-bass (which I absolutely hate when emphasized) that gives me a headache. I’m really counting on burn in to help solve this issue. Other than that, the lower-mids can sound a bit muffled, especially compared to the Tin Audio T2. If I don’t like these, I may just sell them, although I’ve never sold anything on here before...
On average how much playtime do you get on a single charge ?

Jun 7, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #36,600 of 99,947
On average how much playtime do you get on a single charge ?
I actually had no idea how much playtime I was getting on my defective unit since the battery indicator was always extremely inaccurate. I’d charge it to 100%, unplug it, start playing music, and the indicator on the app would slide to ~86%. It would either drain rapidly or drain normally, so it was hard to tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back