The discovery thread!
Sep 16, 2017 at 11:07 PM Post #33,541 of 101,307
The PX has neutral bass. It can hit the low notes but is nothing like the EDC or the DM5 I have in my ears as I type. People looking for neutrality in the bass area in their earphones will be worth tracking down a P1. I have not heard the P2 yet myself but the design is the same minus some sound tweeks.

As far as I know they are not discontinuing the P1. P1s will also amp much better as well due to the higher impedance vs the more efficient P2.

Different topic. Don't know why I haven't tried watching videos/ movies using the DM5. OH man that bass is perfect for movie watching. I just discovered.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2017 at 11:15 PM Post #33,542 of 101,307
The PX has neutral bass. It can hit the low notes but is nothing like the EDC or the DM5 I have in my ears as I type. People looking for neutrality in the bass area in their earphones will be worth tracking down a P1. I have not heard the P2 yet myself but the design is the same minus some sound tweeks.

As far as I know they are not discontinuing the P1. P1s will also amp much better as well due to the higher impedance vs the more efficient P2.

Different topic. Don't know why I haven't tried watching videos/ movies using the DM5. OH man that bass is perfect for movie watching. I just discovered.

Yeah I'm intrigue by the graphene memt x5. This quad is tempting .
Are the mids recessed?
Punchy bass with sufficient sub bass?
Not too bright ?
Soundstage ?

Sep 16, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #33,543 of 101,307
The only real catch on the DM5. Ya it seems too good to be true. A real 4 driver earphone for $65. No gimmics. These actually use dual graphene drivers for bass in the housing. They have the mids and treble BA in the nozzle of the earphones, specifically Dual Knowels 30042 BAs.

They need some TLC in the form of source matching and burn in is absolutely a must on these. I can see guys getting these early on and literally giving up on them. Which is a damn shame.

They don't have the largest stage or depth but what is there is a good sense of space and due to the open grills out back they don't sound canny or confined at all. They have a unique sound a more 2.1 sound signature vs your traditional hybrid earphones which try to be a single cohesive sound. These are cohesive when the track has that in it yet they can have a nice low bass rumble when called for like a true sub in the ear. Bass is truly dynamic on these and is worth getting a pair just for the bass end alone.

The mids and treble has a slight brightness tilt to the sound but is not a cold sounding earphone. A warm or smooth sounding sources sounds best on these. Mids and treble has similar tonality due to them being right next to each other in the nozzle. Mids and treble do sound like your typical BA based earphone definition. These hang nicely with even my DuoZa for definition and clarity but then they have this crazy excellent rumble for bass notes. It took me a while to really figure out what their sound is. I am still figuring things out due to me trying out so many cable configurations. These are a nice test bed for cables by the way. It has a unique signature to it and do sound like a well integrated hybrid earphone that uses the best of what BAs should be, the mids and treble and what the bass should be using the dual graphene drivers.

They can be punchy, warm, smooth, silky, sub bass can rumble your earlobes when called for but will absolutely disappear when it is not in the track. This is what dynamic bass should be about. Vocals and instruments have clear distinction and treble has solid extension and detail. The depth of the mids and treble is not as good as the bass but as an overall sound it just works. Very entertaining to listen to while doing clarity and detail justice. In balanced mode they have immersion down pat. It is only 2nd to my Sony Z5 in balanced mode. One of the biggest surprises for me this year actually.

These are the type of earphone that grows on a person only to have you just absolutely love them later, once you figure them out. Not the type the wows you on first listen and then they sit in a drawer.

If your willing to take the time to really get to know this earphone it will pay off. I know most guys are into immediate satisfaction when they get their new earphones but these will go from sounding terrible on open listen to better and better to a holy smokes moment. They will grow on you the more time they get used and burned in. I do know for guys that want a great sounding earphone balanced. Believe me there are some earphones that suk in balanced. These will surprise anyone willing to give them the time to blossom.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #33,544 of 101,307
The only real catch on the DM5. Ya it seems too good to be true. A real 4 driver earphone for $65. No gimmics. These actually use dual graphene drivers for bass in the housing. They have the mids and treble BA in the nozzle of the earphones, specifically Dual Knowels 30042 BAs.

They need some TLC in the form of source matching and burn in is absolutely a must on these. I can see guys getting these early on and literally giving up on them. Which is a damn shame.

These are the type of earphone that grows on a person only to have you just absolutely love them later, once you figure them out. Not the type the wows you on first listen and then they sit in a drawer.

If your willing to take the time to really get to know this earphone it will pay off. I know most guys are into immediate satisfaction when they get their new earphones but these will go from sounding terrible on open listen to better and better to a holy smokes moment. They will grow on you the more time they get used and burned in. I do know for guys that want a great sounding earphone balanced. Believe me there are some earphones that suk in balanced. These will surprise anyone willing to give them the time to blossom.
I absolutely agree with you. Sometime back i had got a pair of iems called the Whizzer A15 which are i reckon about $65 odd. They are housed in a stainless steel casing and has a single 10 mm Beryllium Dynamic driver. My point being out of the box they were alright however after introducing some brain burn in and otherwise they just came to life. They have become my robust on the move iems, though definitely on the heavier side.

Sep 17, 2017 at 12:22 AM Post #33,545 of 101,307
I suppose it does help to have lower expectations for a sub $100 earphone to start kinda helps. I mean I went into this purchase on a whim. No reviews on them when I first got them at all. I was perfectly happy with the PX and EDCs the two earphones I reviewed for Massdrop. But the specs on the DM5 kept on nagging at me like. YOU need to try me out. It was calling my name. Plus I am sold on balanced sound. Wanted to try these in balanced. Might as well try it out was my thought.

So long story short. I have them in my ears as I type writing this. Just got a new crystal copper cable to use on them. They sound great single ended as well as balanced. There are some earphones you just get bored of and these are not perfect by any means. On a well recorded dimensional track. These sound stupid good and do not sound anything like a sub $100 earphone at all. Not to mention will do explosions justice on a movie. Which I just figured out tonight.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2017 at 12:53 AM Post #33,546 of 101,307
I suppose it does help to have lower expectations for a sub $100 earphone to start kinda helps. I mean I went into this purchase on a whim. No reviews on them when I first got them at all. I was perfectly happy with the PX and EDCs the two earphones I reviewed for Massdrop. But the specs on the DM5 kept on nagging at me like. YOU need to try me out. It was calling my name. Plus I am sold on balanced sound. Wanted to try these in balanced. Might as well try it out was my thought.

So long story short. I have them in my ears as I type writing this. Just got a new crystal copper cable to use on them. They sound great single ended as well as balanced. There are some earphones you just get bored of and these are not perfect by any means. On a well recorded dimensional track. These sound stupid good and do not sound anything like a sub $100 earphone at all. Not to mention will do explosions justice on a movie. Which I just figured out tonight.
Do they provide balanced cable ,really?

Sep 17, 2017 at 1:13 AM Post #33,547 of 101,307
It comes with 2 cables. One is a silver coated copper cable and the other has a mic on it for phone use. Both are ok nothing special. Had to buy my own mmcx balanced cables to try with the DM5. Which also fits a few other earphones I own.

Sep 17, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #33,548 of 101,307
It was funny how things work out. I was eyeing the T2 a week ago and liked the description of its sound. Havent read anything about them as they seem to be a new model. I went ahead a bought one. Got so many new mmcx cables I thought why not. Would love to try this T2 with one of my new balanced cables I got recently. Neutral or well balanced earphones sound awesome in balanced mode. If it comes close to the sonics of the PX I will be very impressed.

By the way dont know how new your DM5 is but I would just let them burn in for a week minimum before taking a real good listen. Burn in is absolutely crucial to their end sound.

I hope you enjoy them as much as I have been. Let us know how they work out balanced. My DM5 has been in use for a couple weeks now, with a few 8 hour nights of play time. Like them quite a bit and feel they're a huge step up from anything else BGVP has put out so far, that I've tried at least. They arrived with all this stuff. Standouts have been the T2 and GT600s. Really like the HLS-S8 too, but it shouldn't be priced at 99 USD;

(I call the MacaW GT100 the GT600 when I was talking about the older MacaW.)

Sep 17, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #33,549 of 101,307

So out of these will you say this DM5 comes out tops

Kinera H3
TFZ Exlusive/King
Magaosi K3 HD

Sep 17, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #33,550 of 101,307
I can only speak for the DM5 as I haven't heard any of the others. I can tell you I prefer the DM5 over my $200 one more quads. And the one more quads are no joke. I prefer them to most of the previous discoveries on this thread. I like them over the PM4s and I would say is a side grade to the Masters. I like my Dunu DN2000J but find myself listen to those on occasions now a days. I definitely listen to the DM5 more so.

Sep 17, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #33,551 of 101,307
I think it is the opposite. If Mee did well on Massdrop and they have a good inkling from the requests they will put both on Massdrop. The PX at that price again and whatever they call the P2 at $40 less. They make a nice profit and are fine to drop the price in exchange for quantity as the they want to make "X" amount and either less units moved with more profit margin or more units with less gets them the $$$ they want. Or they will do the PX again and the P2 will head(be the new top draw) for the Mee Blue Box where you get odds at scoring a few real cheap P2's.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #33,552 of 101,307
I can only speak for the DM5 as I haven't heard any of the others. I can tell you I prefer the DM5 over my $200 one more quads. And the one more quads are no joke. I prefer them to most of the previous discoveries on this thread. I like them over the PM4s and I would say is a side grade to the Masters. I like my Dunu DN2000J but find myself listen to those on occasions now a days. I definitely listen to the DM5 more so.

Wow that's a very bold statement .
Of course dm5 will run all over the p1 too? And easier to drive too?
Copping tmr at penaudio lol.

Sep 17, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #33,553 of 101,307
I like the PX a lot. It has a traditional balanced reference type tuning. Meaning slight emphasis toward treble. A fairly wide stage and excellent mids retrieval. I am lucky to have the PX around as it is yet another excellent earphone in balanced. I can't say I prefer the DM5 over them. I can say they compliment each other nicely. PX being an excellent example of a single dynamic earphone and the DM5 an excellent example of a capable hybrid. Neutral guys will love the PX. Guys that want their bass and want that detail in the mids and highs to shimmer. That would be the DM5. I am a lover of all different types of tuning on an earphone.

It really depends on my mood actually and I have to admit it has been fun figuring out how my cables change up the sonics a touch on both earphones. The PX loves silver and the DM5 loves that pure copper. Both sound excellent out of a balanced DAP or amp.

Sep 17, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #33,554 of 101,307

So let's get down to brass tacks. Are you saying the DM5 is better than the 2000j?

Sep 18, 2017 at 12:09 AM Post #33,555 of 101,307
Yes. Oh man haven't heard from you in a while. Long time no post Selenium. I keep on meaning to do a head to head comparison but there are some similarities how the sound is portrayed between the two. Treble is not as sharp on the DM5s while maintaining excellent clarity from mids to treble on them. Treble extension on the DN2000J is superb but with that extension comes more treble energy as well. I remember half the time I was using the DN2KJ I was always messing with tips/ rings to figure out how to tame the treble energy. It is a nice sounding earphone but I wish it had a bit less treble emphasis. Where the DM5 comes in.

Bass is also a bit more linear on the DN2KJs and is a bit more tighter on the bass end but the Bass on the DM5 is easily just as good as the DN2KJs. Some might actually prefer it over the DN2KJs in the bass arena. It does have the beefier bass end when called for vs the DN2KJs. I also feel the bass extension on the DM5 is just as good here as well.

I do have an upgraded pure copper single ended cable and a silver coated copper balanced cable I am using on the DM5 which enhance the sound of the DM5 ( which you can't do for the DN2KJ by the way), but even with both cables and the cost of the DM5. It is still less than half the price for a Dunu DN2KJ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back