The discovery thread!
Sep 12, 2017 at 12:54 AM Post #33,512 of 100,441
Sep 15, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #33,513 of 100,441
Interesting. I thought there was only one black version of the DM5. Seems to exist a bronze edition.
s-l1600.jpg

Though it looks like the black onyx finish was sandpapered off the surface more than an actual design.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #33,514 of 100,441
Interesting. I thought there was only one black version of the DM5. Seems to exist a bronze edition.

Thought it looks like the black onyx finish was sandpapered off the surface more than an actual design.

I think that looks fantastic. The regular DM5 looks much better in person than in pics imo, but it's definitely more photogenic in that color scheme..

Sep 15, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #33,515 of 100,441
I am wondering if the black one is actually has a bronze core. The vendor that sells this on ebay also has an option for an upgraded SPC cable. More so than the one that comes in the box.

In a bit of an update to the DM5 speaking of. I have been using a newer 2.5mm balanced cable with my X5iii and or with my amp Ibasso PB3 in balanced mode.

There is no way if anyone heard this they would believe this sound comes from a $65 earphone. Is all I can say about that. In any case I am certain there will be more impressions and reviews to come.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #33,516 of 100,441
I am wondering if the black one is actually has a bronze core. The vendor that sells this on ebay also has an option for an upgraded SPC cable. More so than the one that comes in the box.

In a bit of an update to the DM5 speaking of. I have been using a newer 2.5mm balanced cable with my X5iii and or with my amp Ibasso PB3 in balanced mode.

There is no way if anyone heard this they would believe this sound comes from a $65 earphone. Is all I can say about that. In any case I am certain there will be more impressions and reviews to come.

The upgraded cable is quite nice. Essentially the same cable as the upgraded one on the OURART Ti7.

You should check out the TinAudio T2 if you get the chance. It's a bit cheaper than the DM5 but quite comparable, imo. More balanced signature without as much emphasis on either end. The build quality is pretty impressive as well.

Sep 15, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #33,518 of 100,441
I've pretty much switched over from iem's to buds because iems are a bit uncomfy for me, and they cause some tinnitus to flare up in one of my ears, and because my current situation requires that I am not completely blocked off from the world (ie it's better for me to know when the family is trying to get my attention, otherwise I pay a price lol).

Anyway, I've been discovering really cheap earbuds for a while now. It started with the Monk+'s, then the Qian39's, then the Vido's, all of which are $5 and all of which are really quite amazingly good. The newest discover are the DIY MX500 earbuds:
100-New-Arrival-In-ear-Earphones-font-b-Flat-b-font-Head-Plug-Earphone-HiFi-Bass.jpg

It is a big jump up from $5 though to... $10 lol. Below are a few things said recently about them in the earbuds forum which I completely agree with. So if you are willing to risk $10, I'd say "go for it!"

I've been in disbelief regarding budget earbuds and how good they are for quite some time now. At this point, I prefer Fengru EMX500 to Meze 99 Classics (it's a weird comparison, but still, well regarded 300$ over-ear vs 10$ earbud)... No idea how this is possible but yeah, I have no reason to lie as Meze 99 were my go to headphones.
How in the world does a TOTL earbud sound then... oh the confusion is real with these small garbage looking wonders.

That's no surprise for me. I prefer (by a long margin) the EMX500's to my previous main headphone's, the Sennheiser HD598's.

@vladstef Honestly, the EMX500 very well could taint most people's perspective of earbuds as it's kind of an unfair metric. There's only a couple of earbuds that can come close in value, and that's solely due to preferences. I've only heard a couple of TOTL, and like most top ends, it's all about finding the one that suits you.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2017 at 9:17 PM Post #33,519 of 100,441
I think I am the first to mention the new zero audio carbo I dx240, also the frequency response is insane making me guess it has a graphene driver inside.

Seriously :) I mentioned them on July 12th :stuck_out_tongue:

Besides, how can they compare to the Hibiki?

Actually the design looks microphonics challenged and not over ear and glasses friendly. Nobody else is doing the flat cables. Not sure why they are. Also need to jump on the replaceable cable bandwagon since so many are now at that price point.

They don't say anything graphene and there are others out there listing at up to 90,000 and not graphene. The numbers are going up regardless and mean little. My CKR90 are only 42,000. Do you think the Carbo "i" are gonna gonna have more treble extension than the AT dual phase.

@waynes world :
We need a EMX500 vs. Moondrop Nameless comparison :) Get on that would you please :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #33,520 of 100,441

Really curious to hear the DM5 and see how it compares to the Veedix NC50.

Sep 15, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #33,521 of 100,441
@waynes world :
We need a EMX500 vs. Moondrop Nameless comparison :) Get on that would you please :ksc75smile:

Darn you jant71! I have have the DIY Graphene buds on the way, and now you are tempting me with those fantastic looking Moondrops. You're not going to let me get off of this budget bud hampster wheel are you!

Sep 15, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #33,523 of 100,441
I've pretty much switched over from iem's to buds because iems are a bit uncomfy for me, and they cause some tinnitus to flare up in one of my ears, and because my current situation requires that I am not completely blocked off from the world (ie it's better for me to know when the family is trying to get my attention, otherwise I pay a price lol).

Anyway, I've been discovering really cheap earbuds for a while now. It started with the Monk+'s, then the Qian39's, then the Vido's, all of which are $5 and all of which are really quite amazingly good. The newest discover are the DIY MX500 earbuds:

It is a big jump up from $5 though to... $10 lol. Below are a few things said recently about them in the earbuds forum which I completely agree with. So if you are willing to risk $10, I'd say "go for it!"
Is it the same one available from NiceHCK shop on AE with the model name MX500?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/201...Plug-Earplugs-Headset-Earbud/32823569005.html

And the Moondrop metal.. is it this one?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/201...Balanced-HIFI-13-5mm-Dynamic/32830971670.html

Thanks in advance.

Sep 16, 2017 at 1:36 AM Post #33,524 of 100,441
Sep 16, 2017 at 1:37 AM Post #33,525 of 100,441

Users who are viewing this thread

Back