The discovery thread!
Aug 30, 2018 at 8:44 AM Post #37,516 of 100,273
Oh, you are techmanz ?

I tried to warn people here to take the sound reviews of your/his videos with a huge grain of salt. As the audio reviews seems fairly poor in comparison to what people expect around here. They are kinda vague and lack a lot things.

Its nothing personal. Hope you don't get this as a offense.

Haha, he did mention in his link to disregard the sound, just use the video as an unboxing.

I would describe the Skald 4 as a slightly bright, smooth sounding all BA IEM. For comparison, I tested it and also another 4-BA, SK846, around the same time and they're strikingly similar apart from the Skald being a tad brighter up top (the SK846 is in turn also eerily similar to the SE846, despite being a bit lacking in bass speed and detail resolution). Might be lacking bass for some though. Soundstage feels natural, but I like a wider and airier feel, so that was a bit of a minus for me.

That's a shame, was hoping for DD + 3 BA setup. And something more relaxed like SE215 sound.

I'll wait for more reviews of the BGVP DMG

So these earphones have the same drivers mix as the FH5 and IT04. 3BAs with a dynamic for well under a $100 spot. Zero feed back. So it would be a shot in the dark but cheap enough to consider a try. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/201...bc3b-4e90-9302-dec4446ac019&priceBeautifyAB=0

Hmm. Has a DD, how is it venting? Don't see anything on the shell.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #37,517 of 100,273
Yeah he should know what he is reviewing first. But the laptop/phone? It's the only time I use IEM. If I'm near an external DAC/Amp, I'm not using IEM, full sized or monitors. So I see no problems with that and the majority of people who use IEM use them as I do, as a portable device w/ their phone. I'm never going to carry around a secondary player or dac/amp on the go, unless at the gym or running w/ small mp3 player, just cause phone is too big.

I wouldn't mind more reviews of budget IEM using phones.

Not enough to properly check for source mismatching and if it performs stably across devices and types. You get nothing really reliable outside if you are using an iPhone 6 which is from 2014. This is a good gauge of how a hybrid will perform?

Not being snobbish but someone sends you something to review and it is more than a simple single driver set up and not under $50 do more than one portable device.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2018 at 8:59 AM Post #37,518 of 100,273
Not enough to properly check for source mismatching and if it performs stably across devices and types. You get nothing really reliable outside if you are using an iPhone 6 which is from 2014. This is a good gauge of how a hybrid will perform?

Not being snobbish but someone sends you something to review and it is more than a simple single driver set up and not under $50 do more than one portable device.

Yes it is a good gauge of how it will perform, at least for me. Far more important to me that it sounds good straight from a phone than a dedicated DAP. It's something I'm considering and will be using exclusively w/ my N6P phone which is also dated and my a Inspirion 13 laptop on the go.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #37,519 of 100,273
I don't expect profissional reviews from anyone. To me Its ok to use iPhone only. But he limits to talk "good bass-good mids-good treble". And that's all. It actually means nothing. He said once that a iem that I have are similar to kz zst. I have both, and they are completely different.

Aug 30, 2018 at 9:11 AM Post #37,520 of 100,273
Yeah we can all agree TechManz is in it for the views. He clearly doesn't spend enough time listening to the IEM to make a sound judgement. I personally wouldn't post a review until have listened to something for at least a week from a variety of different devices.

It will hurt him in the long run, I'm sure he will not gain the views he wants because he won't be seen as a reliable source.

Aug 30, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #37,521 of 100,273
I've been semi-following Techmanz since he started up his channel. This crowd is not his intended audience and never has been. His channel has grown A LOT in a relatively short time, esp. considering how many similar channels there are out there, so clearly what he's doing works for his primary viewers. Reading the comments, they seem to appreciate his to-the-point coverage. Not everyone's channel or reviews have to appeal to all crowds. :beerchug:

Aug 30, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #37,522 of 100,273
Oh, you are techmanz ?

I tried to warn people here to take the sound reviews of your/his videos with a huge grain of salt. As the audio reviews seems fairly poor in comparison to what people expect around here. They are kinda vague and lack a lot things.

Its nothing personal. Hope you don't get this as a offense.

I’m no more him than you are Roberto Firmino! Liverpool fan here.

I have ordered them from Penon, shipped today. Looking forward to trying them out.

Aug 30, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #37,524 of 100,273
So it looks like I will be getting the new NiceHCK NK10 for review.
HTB10SwSKhGYBuNjy0Fnq6x5lpXas.jpg

Combination of knowles and chines BAs similar to the HK6 combination. Looking forward to hearing these.

Aug 30, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #37,526 of 100,273
ditto! i find HBB taste in earphones and gear right on!

My man,
Thank you bro!

I did a side by side with the Bravado which i love.

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Freebird (Live One more from the Road)
Fleetwood Mac - Gold Dust Woman
M.J. - Wanna Be Startin Somethin/ Beat it/ Billie Jean
Steely Dan - "Hey Nineteen"
Led Zep - "Since I've Been loving You"

Running balanced out a A&K SE100 (a DAP that cost twice what it's worth but the sound is clean and U.I. great....worthless EQ)

These ABCDEFG's sound exceptional. Makes you ponder deep questions like:

Is the $300-____ zone a trap that sometimes hoovers money out the wallet doing nothing more than some budget gear can do for 1/2 the price?
Is ABCDEFG lucky...or good? (Didn't like the earbuds at all)

Hope your Summer was not as hot as mine. Japan was a freakin oven this year :frowning2:

Aug 30, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #37,527 of 100,273
I’m no more him than you are Roberto Firmino! Liverpool fan here.

I have ordered them from Penon, shipped today. Looking forward to trying them out.

Close! Actually i am Phillipe coutinho!

Aug 30, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #37,529 of 100,273
Expect to get a big bold sound with rumbling bass (yes, out of BA's) yet with a natural timbre besides the bass section and very resolving. I heard details I have never heard before in some of my tracks I use for critical listening
It is amazing what tone Toneking manages to pull out of the knowles 31618 BA. They're the closest BA I've ever heard to a dynamic driver. I'm still still blown away by the T4 and T66s and can't wait for my T88k to arrive. The T66s uses the same low, mid and high drivers as the t88k, but the t88k has an additional 30017 for the highs. Please share more of your impressions of these!

Aug 30, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #37,530 of 100,273
Interested in getting a set of the mandarin es symbios tips. Is there a difference between the "n" and the "w" for fitting on to the nozzle of the iem itself? I was always under the impression that it was the bore at the top it referred to?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back