The Deals Thread (CLOSED! See the last post for the link to the new thread)
Nov 30, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #7,802 of 9,815
Quote:
The Jaycar, are those the Fischer Audio copies that a lot of people seem to like?? Or Brainwavz HM5's?? They are super neutral right?? Head great great things about them but there aren't easy to come by here in the US

As a portable...ehh...let's just say that they are large. They can be driven without an amp, though. They're the HM5/Fischer/Lindy/NVX clone (all of which are made in Taiwan by a company called Yoga out of identical parts). Also, they're pretty easy to get to the US when they're in stock, which they are right now.

Edit: They do benefit from an amp, even though they can be driven to acceptable levels without one. They're more neutral than the M50s, with a bit less bass emphasis and a much wider soundstage...but they don't look the spiffiest.

Nov 30, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #7,803 of 9,815
Quote:
As a portable...ehh...let's just say that they are large. They can be driven without an amp, though. They're the HM5/Fischer/Lindy/NVX clone (all of which are made in Taiwan by a company called Yoga out of identical parts). Also, they're pretty easy to get to the US when they're in stock, which they are right now.

Edit: They do benefit from an amp, even though they can be driven to acceptable levels without one. They're more neutral than the M50s, with a bit less bass emphasis and a much wider soundstage...but they don't look the spiffiest.

IME having owned the HM5 and M50, this statement is accurate -
only minor departure would be that the HM5
soundstage is not "much" wider.  It is wider, though.

They are clunky, and the build quality IMO doesn't match that of the M50.
Overall, I'd choose neither, have sold both, and don't miss them at all.

Nov 30, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #7,804 of 9,815
I paid around $120 for my M50s I think they're certainly worth a shot, especially at that price. The reason they're so popular is that excel at not really doing anything wrong, if that makes any sense. They're not a very portable solution if that matters though.

Nov 30, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #7,805 of 9,815
Quote:

My Jaycars still get headtime, my M50 does not, but as a slightly bassy portable at >$100, one could do a lot worse than the M50. 

Nov 30, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #7,806 of 9,815
Quote:

Good to know, so then what would you look at for price range of around $120 new or used. Portable is important. I have a my D5000's for home use and I could take them with me on trips but not to comfortable taking $700+ headphones on the road. Accident waiting to happen

Nov 30, 2012 at 2:40 AM Post #7,809 of 9,815
Refurb Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium (non-HD) PCI-E is selling for $39.99 (with free shipping) from Newegg.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102043

Nov 30, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #7,810 of 9,815
Quote:

Good to know, so then what would you look at for price range of around $120 new or used. Portable is important. I have a my D5000's for home use and I could take them with me on trips but not to comfortable taking $700+ headphones on the road. Accident waiting to happen

I have also been looking for portables so as not to wear my better headphones outside.

Recently bought a set of Koss Pro DJ100's based on a long running thread on this board
and an insane Black Friday price.  They're reasonably well made, look OK, but I don't
like the sound very much. 

I'd recommend the KRK KNS8400's which I like a lot in the price range, but they do
have quite a "halo effect".

So to shorten the story, I've yet to find any headphone that even remotely matches
the Senn HD 25 1 II for its mix of high quality sound, terrific build quality, small /
unobtrusive size and looks, and the fact that they stay put on your head.

I realize that they're pretty firmly priced all over at the $199 mark, but they're
worth it in my view if there's any way you can swing the cost.  If not, frankly
I'd buy a pair of Sony MDR V6's and be done with it for around $65. or so.

They sound good, (IMO of course), are well made, fold, and look
entirely reasonable on all black pretty much with a low profile.

(and yes, I listen to my V6's pretty regularly even though at this point
there are several choices...)

Nov 30, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #7,811 of 9,815
Quote:
Basically I need a portable over ear can that will travel with me that doesn't need some sort of amp and thats under the $120 mark. Any suggestion or sale information would be helpful 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazex /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So to shorten the story, I've yet to find any headphone that even remotely matches
the Senn HD 25 1 II for its mix of high quality sound, terrific build quality, small /
unobtrusive size and looks, and the fact that they stay put on your head.

I realize that they're pretty firmly priced all over at the $199 mark, but they're
worth it in my view if there's any way you can swing the cost.  If not, frankly
I'd buy a pair of Sony MDR V6's and be done with it for around $65. or so.

The HD 25 1 iis (sheesh, Sennheiser, enough numbers?)  fit the bill pretty nicely, but they are on-ear. If you don't mind going on-ear, I really recommend the JVC HA-S500. I prefer these to basically every headphone I own, and at $75 imported from Japan, they are an absolute steal. They have the slight bass emphasis you mention, fold nicely, and excel in just about every area but comfort (I can wear them for about 2 hours without glasses, 1 hour with) and soundstage (it's a bit "intimate", i.e. not wide). However, if over-ear design is a necessity, the M50 and the V6s are also nice options with a slight bass emphasis in your price range.

Nov 30, 2012 at 3:10 AM Post #7,812 of 9,815
Nov 30, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #7,813 of 9,815
Didn't see this posted but this is coming up now as a lightning deal:

Thinksound ts02+mic 8mm High Definition Passive Noise Isolating Wooden Headphone with microphone (Silver/Cherry)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042U8MHW/ref=gb1h_img_c-3_1582_A2DFEDMVAMQSRM?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=0ZFZTDSA86GA3S901FSB&pf_rd_i=5550342011&pf_rd_p=1416111582

hoping for ~ $50

Nov 30, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #7,814 of 9,815
Quote:
Guys, can anyone update on their $45 FiiO E10 orders from "Adorama", please?

I purchased the Fiio E10 from Adorama. Sale went through on Friday November 23, 2012. They sent me a shipping notice on Monday due to the holiday, and I received the item yesterday November 29. It is the new model that has Fiio Olympus on the top of the unit, instead of E10 like I have seen in many photos.

Nov 30, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #7,815 of 9,815
Quote:
I purchased the Fiio E10 from Adorama. Sale went through on Friday November 23, 2012. They sent me a shipping notice on Monday due to the holiday, and I received the item yesterday November 29. It is the new model that has Fiio Olympus on the top of the unit, instead of E10 like I have seen in many photos.

Thanks mate, I just emailed my brother over at the US for concern he wouldn't get mine in the mail since he anticipated his flight out of there, but it seems as though it'll be here in time alright.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back