The Deals Thread (CLOSED! See the last post for the link to the new thread)
Nov 28, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #7,741 of 9,815
Thanks for that 580 post. I have been looking to pick up some nice open cans for ~$150, and this was perfect time. I'll call Senn tomorrow about ordering HD600 grills and 650 cable. Now I have to find some Magic Cards to sell so my GF doesn't kill me...

Nov 28, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #7,742 of 9,815
Quote:

Me too. I think at some point I need to stop watching this thread so I don't mind myself homeless and without the love of my family, under a bridge with a pile of headphones plugged into an amp powered by a potato battery which has long since reached it's used by date, muttering darkly about more power requirements, and recent Amazon deals for a new set of headphones!

I'm confused. Is there something wrong with this lifestyle?

In all seriousness, sorry if I discouraged people away from the HD650. I think they are a great pair of headphones, and I have owned a handful of them myself at one time or another. The warm blanket analogy for them is quite humorous. They are very warm and have a unique sound. 

As far as amps are concerned, not necessarily will every amp that can power them sound the same. Each amp will sound a little different in their own regard. If you had two amps in front of you and danced with the HD650 between them, you would probably be able to pick out certain aspects of each amplifier that you liked more than the other. However, if you take one of those amps and listen to it for awhile, read your magazine, sip some coffee, or even browse this site, you probably wouldn't remember which amplifier you got yourself plugged into. Don't get too worked up over spending tons of money on an amplifier, after awhile they all start to sound pretty similar. 

Nov 28, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #7,743 of 9,815
To whoever sees this post in time:
Audez'e is auctioning off a pair of LCD2 headphones tonight only, but I'm pretty sure 100% of the money is going to be donated. The current offer is ~$775 and they say they'll throw in something extra if the headphones go for more than retail, probably a case or something, but they didn't say. So if you want your money to go to a good cause and get at least a small discount you should probably start bidding.
Bidding is going on on their Facebook page, in the comments section of their most recent post.

Nov 28, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #7,744 of 9,815
So yeah, I think I may just jump on the m100's. He400's don't have a major deal (yes, I know about the demo version) and I need a decent pair for on the go, which the hifimans cannot do. Sometime next year I'll get the hifimans

Nov 28, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #7,745 of 9,815
What on earth have I stumbled upon... I've never been in this thread before it was probably a good thing.

Oh well, there goes my rainy day fund :) 

I might as well share my Fav eBay seller. Inventory isn't large but what ever he carries comes with a 60 unconditional return policy and some of the best prices. I bought my DT770/80's from him brand new for $149! Check him out, you wont be disappointed.

The Sellers name is Corbasonics and there is the link to their headphone inventory. They have all kinds of other audio equipment and fun stuff so check em out! Again, not the hugest inventory but great prices and customer services with a killer return policy. 

Goes without saying but I'll say it anyway...

I have zero affiliation with Corbasonics or any other deals I post to this thread. 

There I said it... 

Nov 28, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #7,746 of 9,815
Quote:
So yeah, I think I may just jump on the m100's. He400's don't have a major deal (yes, I know about the demo version) and I need a decent pair for on the go, which the hifimans cannot do. Sometime next year I'll get the hifimans

Ok so I'm just curious: what sort of "major deal" were you hoping for on the HE-400?

Nov 29, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #7,747 of 9,815
Quote:

Me too. I think at some point I need to stop watching this thread so I don't mind myself homeless and without the love of my family, under a bridge with a pile of headphones plugged into an amp powered by a potato battery which has long since reached it's used by date, muttering darkly about more power requirements, and recent Amazon deals for a new set of headphones!

Ha! Nothing wrong with that at all. It wont get bad until you start naming and talking directly to your headphones as if they were your children... Oh wait... 

Nov 29, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #7,749 of 9,815
Quote:
I think a lot of us were disappointed that the HE-400 and HE-500 didn't have a single sale, unless you count the free shipping offer as a sale.

The best deal I got on my HE-400 is that I found a seller on Amazon that was willing to list them under Prime so I got them next day for $3.99. He already was selling the rest of the line with Amazon prime so I talked him into listing the 400's as well and he ended up selling his entire 400 inventory in a day. So it was win win for both sides. That's about as close to a deal you're probably going to find on those bad boys... 

Nov 29, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #7,751 of 9,815
I wonder if soundearphones will have their giftcard sale where you can combine more than 2 gift cards ever again or if this black friday sale marks the end of that... hoping that you can combine then again before the years out :l. I want LCD-2's but I can't bring myself to pay over 800.

Nov 29, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #7,752 of 9,815
Quote:
Exactly, we want them to be discounted, if only a small amount, it hasn't happened so some of us aren't buying them.

There's not going to be a sale unless it's a Head-Direct prices. The reason why the lowest price is just free shipping is because HiFiMan prevents people from selling the headphones at sale price. Even if they were on sale, they would only be $50 off MAX, and you'd probably have to pay shipping.

Nov 29, 2012 at 3:44 AM Post #7,754 of 9,815
Quote:
V-moda M100's ...you pre-order now, you get
-Free Faders (ear plugs, $20)
-Free Custom shields ($25)
-Free shipping in the Continental US
I think i'll get these instead of the he-400's

I have the M100's and if you need portable then go for them, but they don't do rock so well, they suit electronica the best. They certainly don't match the HE-400 or the Denon D2000, but holy hell if you pair them with a VAMP then its frighteningly good. But then you would need to.

Quote:
FiiO E5 and up. They're easy to amplify.

Quote:

That statement, repeated often, is completely wrong. There's nothing about the HD-650 -- impedance, voltage, or power requirements -- to make them hard to drive. The FiiO E5 may not  be ideal, except as a tiny portable, but it works just fine. I have both and have used them together.

When asking for recommendations, you can go with the borg or not. It's your decision.

Quote:
Do you need a POWERFUL amp?

1. Here's how power is computed. These are laws of physics not subject to audiophilia.

Current = Voltage / Impedance
    Power = Current ^ 2 * Impedance.

Nothing about the HD-650's input impedance (nominally 300 Ohms but at some frequencies ~500 Ohms) or its voltage (or current requirement) is special in any way for a full-sized headphone.

2. There is a rule (guideline) that the headphones' input impedance should be at least 8 times the output impedance for proper damping.

It's easy to find an amp whose output impedance is less then 300 / 8 = 37.5 Ohms.

3. Does the HD-650 sound the same with every amplifier?

Absolutely NOT Amplifiers all have distortion (e.g., THD, IM) and a noise floor. Tube amplifiers tend to have different harmonic distortion that solid-state amps because that's the way tubes work..

In conclusion, the next time you read claim about a requirement for a POWERFUL amp, ask why. If the response is "pairing", "synergy", or "scaling", you've received a non-answer and can safely move along. Which amplifier sounds best with the HD-650? It's nothing more than personal preference not POWERFULNESS.

Actually No, I have the E7, and I could amplify them better if I took the jack and inserted it into my rectum. Don't buy them If your not going to amplify them properly. They need voltage, they are quite efficient, but they still need voltage. To give another example songmic managed to prove that Denons don't need a low output impedance amp because of their flat impedance curve, which is mind blowing, however output impedance is more an indicator of how the amp will handle various loads, and the Denons needing current can put a lot of strain on OTL tube amps with high output impedances. So your argument is invalid. 

If you get the HD600 or HD650, then for gods sake amp them, and It doesn't mean you need to spend a fortune for starters.

Quote:
I'm confused. Is there something wrong with this lifestyle?

Well considering the woman I keep meeting.... This is safer.

Nov 29, 2012 at 6:32 AM Post #7,755 of 9,815
even in china i know hifiman controls the price really really strictly. the dealers can only throw in a lot of freebies like headphone stands, balanced cable etc. to somehow discount the price abit but here is virtually no chance for a cheaper upfront price. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back