The Deals Thread (CLOSED! See the last post for the link to the new thread)
Nov 28, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #7,726 of 9,815
Did anyone else grab the M-50 from YoYo and have them cancelled?

Anyone ever tried emailing for a paid out of stock item and ask them to ship when available instead of refunding money? 85$ was hard to beat.

Nov 28, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #7,728 of 9,815
Quote:
Just some info from when I emailed the seller:

"Stock cable.  I have had them about ten years.  Pristine condition.  No box.  Just the headphones." 

It's the same driver as the HD600, isn't it? If anything goes wrong, you can just install them in there. How much does a repair like that cost from Senn?

If I remember correctly, they are not the same drivers, as the HD600's are a little more difficult to drive. If you do want to swap drivers, they will run you about $130 for a pair. You may also want to change tthe outer-grille piece if you do order, since they run about $16 a pair, and people seem to think it has a noticable impact on the sound.. Although, if you're already going to drop that much already, may as well get the 600's
biggrin.gif

Nov 28, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #7,729 of 9,815
Quote:
Yeah, that was the plan, as i am getting both eventually. It's more the fact that the small deal on the m100's seem pretty good, while the he-400 hasn't had a deal other than for demo and used versions.

Send an email to Moon-audio, if you agree in no-return unless it become defective, they give you 10% discount on both HE 400 and HE 500, its the best deal so far, that i found in both headphones ;D

Nov 28, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #7,731 of 9,815
Just got the Senn 650's, very nice sounding, I'd guess burn in is something these should get like the others discussed, but they sound fine out of the box. I'd say it's my holiday present to myself, but I'm covered for the next 10 holiday seasons. Got the email iTunes code as well...life is good (so why am I still reading the deals threat?.....)

Nov 28, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #7,733 of 9,815
Quote:
Just got the Senn 650's, very nice sounding, I'd guess burn in is something these should get like the others discussed, but they sound fine out of the box. I'd say it's my holiday present to myself, but I'm covered for the next 10 holiday seasons. Got the email iTunes code as well...life is good (so why am I still reading the deals threat?.....)

Because you know you're going to buy more 
wink_face.gif

Nov 28, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #7,734 of 9,815
Quote:
Well let's be fair and say, how would I know who is right or wrong? Most peoples opinions seem to indicate there is nigh endless scale to what amp you can match and get improvements from with the HD650's. I have bought an O2+ODAC Combo and a Bottlehead crack amp (which as I understand it is a very powerful amp) and I intend to compare side by side as much as anyone can.

Do you need a POWERFUL amp?

1. Here's how power is computed. These are laws of physics not subject to audiophilia.

Current = Voltage / Impedance
    Power = Current ^ 2 * Impedance.

Nothing about the HD-650's input impedance (nominally 300 Ohms but at some frequencies ~500 Ohms) or its voltage (or current requirement) is special in any way for a full-sized headphone.

2. There is a rule (guideline) that the headphones' input impedance should be at least 8 times the output impedance for proper damping.

It's easy to find an amp whose output impedance is less then 300 / 8 = 37.5 Ohms.

3. Does the HD-650 sound the same with every amplifier?

Absolutely NOT Amplifiers all have distortion (e.g., THD, IM) and a noise floor. Tube amplifiers tend to have different harmonic distortion that solid-state amps because that's the way tubes work..

In conclusion, the next time you read claim about a requirement for a POWERFUL amp, ask why. If the response is "pairing", "synergy", or "scaling", you've received a non-answer and can safely move along. Which amplifier sounds best with the HD-650? It's nothing more than personal preference not POWERFULNESS.

Nov 28, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #7,735 of 9,815
Quote:
I've learned to expect maybe 1 deal post in every 20 new posts from this thread :p.

Well, nobody said that you can't discuss deals here
popcorn.gif

Nov 28, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #7,736 of 9,815
Quote:

Do you need a POWERFUL amp?

1. Here's how power is computed. These are laws of physics not subject to audiophilia.

Current = Voltage / Impedance
    Power = Current ^ 2 * Impedance.

Nothing about the HD-650's input impedance (nominally 300 Ohms but at some frequencies ~500 Ohms) or its voltage (or current requirement) is special in any way for a full-sized headphone.

2. There is a rule (guideline) that the headphones' input impedance should be at least 8 times the output impedance for proper damping.

It's easy to find an amp whose output impedance is less then 300 / 8 = 37.5 Ohms.

3. Does the HD-650 sound the same with every amplifier?

Absolutely NOT Amplifiers all have distortion (e.g., THD, IM) and a noise floor. Tube amplifiers tend to have different harmonic distortion that solid-state amps because that's the way tubes work..

In conclusion, the next time you read claim about a requirement for a POWERFUL amp, ask why. If the response is "pairing", "synergy", or "scaling", you've received a non-answer and can safely move along. Which amplifier sounds best with the HD-650? It's nothing more than personal preference not POWERFULNESS.

Thank you for clarifying. It occurred to me I might have come across a little more grumpy than I intended, apologies if that was the case.  I find myself in a constant state of confusion over oftentimes completely oppposing views from supposedly knowledgeable people when it comes to headphones and Amps. It's hard to know the facts. 

Is it the case that any two amp outputting exactly the same "power" should make the same headphone sound the same or have I misunderstood?

I can understand how a DAC could make an HP sound significantly different, but I guess I don't really understand how an Amp could? This is probably needing to be moved to another thread.

Nov 28, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #7,738 of 9,815
Quote:

I get excited when i see 20 new posts and think "Damn, must be a super hot deal, hope I didn't miss out"

Me too. I think at some point I need to stop watching this thread so I don't mind myself homeless and without the love of my family, under a bridge with a pile of headphones plugged into an amp powered by a potato battery which has long since reached it's used by date, muttering darkly about more power requirements, and recent Amazon deals for a new set of headphones!

Nov 28, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #7,739 of 9,815
double post

Nov 28, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #7,740 of 9,815
^ LOL!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back