The Deals Thread (CLOSED! See the last post for the link to the new thread)
Apr 25, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #3,046 of 9,815
I'm sure somebody's going to want to murder me for saying this, but I just purchased a Denon D7000 for $463, shipped, with case and accessories. 

Okay, here's the catch: I got it used from B&H Photo, in 8+ condition. The lesson is: there's nothing wrong with used headphones. They sound the same as new, fit the same, and the wood on these phones will look like new after a treatment of caurnouba wax. New, these are now going for just under $700; but the stock probably won't last too long, given the recent news.

Apr 25, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #3,047 of 9,815

Quote:
I'm sure somebody's going to want to murder me for saying this, but I just purchased a Denon D7000 for $463, shipped, with case and accessories. 

Okay, here's the catch: I got it used from B&H Photo, in 8+ condition. The lesson is: there's nothing wrong with used headphones. They sound the same as new, fit the same, and the wood on these phones will look like new after a treatment of caurnouba wax. New, these are now going for just under $700; but the stock probably won't last too long, given the recent news.

I always look around here in the for sale section. If I have enough money for the price of it new, then I may just buy new, but used is the best way to get things. Refurbished is even better. Every product I've ever bought from Apple has been refurbished and if anything it may be better because then the product goes through another QA test.

However, there would be a lot more deals in this thread if used deals were posted.

Apr 25, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #3,048 of 9,815

Quote:

...but you don't know if the previous owner dropped them 50 times, or wore them while on the toilet doing some business. usually, the cost saved buying used isn't worth it for me, especially since most used cans are no longer under warranty. to each their own. i bought the D7000's new for $558, so it looks like you got a real good deal though.

Apr 25, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #3,049 of 9,815

Quote:

...but you don't know if the previous owner dropped them 50 times, or wore them while on the toilet doing some business. usually, the cost saved buying used isn't worth it for me, especially since most used cans are no longer under warranty. to each their own. i bought the D7000's new for $558, so it looks like you got a real good deal though.

Mhmm. I decided to pay extra to get a brand new Beyer T5p for 950 when the for sale section has them for 750. I like having the full warranty, a company that will back-up my purchase if there is a mistake and knowing that it's A quality.

Apr 25, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #3,050 of 9,815
I'd rather pay 558$ for a brand new pair as well. Believe me guys, you don't want to know what's been done to refurbs sometimes. I do it on a daily basis as I work in sales in a hifi shop. I hate doing it, and hate selling the products (mainly headphones) afterwards; but it's part of my job.

I'm never going to buy something electronic used ever again, unless I know the person that previously owned it.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Apr 25, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #3,051 of 9,815
To be honest, I too prefer getting a new pair of headphones over used. But like another user in this thread, I've had excellent luck with Apple refurbs, and I've purchased headphones from Head-Fi members - and have always been pleased. The only thing that worries me about the D7000s is their occasional issues with fixtures loosening with age. 

B&H still offers a money-back policy on used/refurbished items, and have a good reputation, so I can't imagine going too far wrong with this purchase. Stay informed and covered, and it's fine to get headphones used. But don't think you'll get the same luck on Craig's List.

Apr 26, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #3,052 of 9,815

Quote:
I'd rather pay 558$ for a brand new pair as well. Believe me guys, you don't want to know what's been done to refurbs sometimes. I do it on a daily basis as I work in sales in a hifi shop. I hate doing it, and hate selling the products (mainly headphones) afterwards; but it's part of my job.

I'm never going to buy something electronic used ever again, unless I know the person that previously owned it.

So what are some examples of what's been done to refurbs?

Apr 26, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #3,055 of 9,815
F!#$!5#@#%$#$@#$@#$$
and all the colours of the rainbow! I waited a few hours too long before I bought the Denon D7000 on the special from EE.
Sigh.... I cant afford it at $700 + shipping to South Africa, this is enough to make a grown man cry

Apr 26, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #3,056 of 9,815
I'm with you guys there, I don't like buying used electronics I work with my step father he does PC repair and he sells a good bit of Used systems... you really don't want to know what "in working condition" can necessitate xD not saying your going to get ripped off but I like new with a money back guarantee! Although I don't mind buying sources used, and my final comment... Ebay is expensive... I've never found cheap headphones on ebay >.> I always find em cheaper new on Amazon or some other on-line store <.< so xD glad you guys got this deal thread!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back