The Deals Thread (CLOSED! See the last post for the link to the new thread)
Feb 13, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #2,206 of 9,815
I'm looking to purchase the Sony MDR ZX1000s (z1000 ?).

It seems like their prices online fluctuate between the MSRP, $500, to anywhere as low as $300 on some sites.

I was wondering if anyone had seen it going for even less than $300, and if it was likely that J&R would give me THAT BIG of a deal.

I still don't get why some sites are selling it for 300 dollars. That's 40% off isnt it!!

Feb 13, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #2,207 of 9,815
It seems like their prices online fluctuate between the MSRP, $500, to anywhere as low as $300 on some sites.
I was wondering if anyone had seen it going for even less than $300, and if it was likely that J&R would give me THAT BIG of a deal.
I still don't get why some sites are selling it for 300 dollars. That's 40% off isnt it!!

MSRP is usually VERY inflated.
Take a look at the Ultrasone Pro900. They're MSRP 550 but can easily be found for 300.

Feb 13, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #2,208 of 9,815
I do not know if this is a good deal, because I do not track prices over time, but I just ordered on Amazon the AKG K181DJs for $98.00. The price is so far below MSRP, I doubt MSRP means anything with AKG headphones except when they are just introduced.

Feb 13, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #2,209 of 9,815

Quote:

Have heard them and if so, how did they sound to you?

Feb 13, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #2,210 of 9,815
I have not heard them, which is why I was hoping to get it for $300 from J&R instead of "HPP enterprises" which has a slightly weirdly worded return policy. I know J&R has good service so yeah.

From what I have read though, the ZX1000s seem to be the prefect closed headphones for people who want no leakage, a solid neutral sound, and a decent soundstage. I listen to primarily jazz, so the Denon D2000s weak mids aren't appealing to me.

Feb 13, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #2,211 of 9,815
I have not heard them, which is why I was hoping to get it for $300 from J&R instead of "HPP enterprises" which has a slightly weirdly worded return policy. I know J&R has good service so yeah.
From what I have read though, the ZX1000s seem to be the prefect closed headphones for people who want no leakage, a solid neutral sound, and a decent soundstage. I listen to primarily jazz, so the Denon D2000s weak mids aren't appealing to me.

The Sony mids look much more recessed than the D2000s, not anything close to neutral. I know you want closed, but there must be something more fitting.

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=3381&graphID[]=2881&graphID[]=573

I threw in the HD600 too, since it's the king of neutrality in the <$500 bracket.

Edit: What about the Brainwavz HM5?

Feb 14, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #2,212 of 9,815
I know it's not really good to judge things by their price, but the Brainwavz are in the $150 price bracket. My current open headphones are Sennheiser HD555 with the foam mod to make them sound more like 595s. I feel like purchasing closed back headphones in the same price range as my open back ones will lead to disappointment, so I'm trying to aim high.

Honestly I don't really understand head-fi.com. When I am reading about denons all I can hear about is how their mids are horrible and their trebles are sparky. Then when I read about Sony ZX1000s all I read is how amazing and neutral the mids and highs are. In reality the graphs don't tell that.

I just don't understand this site! And I still don't know what the heck to buy! I was so set on those sony headphones!! There's no good closed headphones for jazz listeners in the 250-350 price range!

Feb 14, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #2,213 of 9,815

Quote:
I know it's not really good to judge things by their price, but the Brainwavz are in the $150 price bracket. My current open headphones are Sennheiser HD555 with the foam mod to make them sound more like 595s. I feel like purchasing closed back headphones in the same price range as my open back ones will lead to disappointment, so I'm trying to aim high.
Honestly I don't really understand head-fi.com. When I am reading about denons all I can hear about is how their mids are horrible and their trebles are sparky. Then when I read about Sony ZX1000s all I read is how amazing and neutral the mids and highs are. In reality the graphs don't tell that.
I just don't understand this site! And I still don't know what the heck to buy! I was so set on those sony headphones!! There's no good closed headphones for jazz listeners in the 250-350 price range!

Graphs don't tell the whole story for various reasons (relative levels, different methodology) and people do have different preferences, so you will hear conflicting things everywhere; not just on this site. The best thing is to get as much info as you can, try to audition cans if possible. You can see if there is a consensus on cans you're interested in or if you have similar tastes to someone else on the site so you can place more weight in their reviews.

An alternative that might work is the AKG K550.

Feb 14, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #2,214 of 9,815
That is another set that I was considering. Sadly it seems like there is a large lack of information on those since they are new.

I want to go try them myself, but the problem is that

1) I don't know where you can try these types of headphones

2) I don't know how I could bring my high quality music (FLACs) for the audition

Feb 14, 2012 at 3:36 AM Post #2,215 of 9,815

I've heard people say the HM5 sound like $250 cans, only they're selling for half price. Maybe give them a shot, you can always send them back.

Honestly, a lot of people on here are full of crap. :D The Denon AH-x000 series is amazing, I s*** you not. There is not a more widely enjoyed and consistent line of closed headphones in the entire hobby, and I'll argue that point with anyone.

That said... Closed? Jazz? Shure SRH940, no doubt.

Feb 14, 2012 at 3:58 AM Post #2,216 of 9,815

Quote:
I've heard people say the HM5 sound like $250 cans, only they're selling for half price. Maybe give them a shot, you can always send them back. Quote:

Honestly, a lot of people on here are full of crap.
biggrin.gif
The Denon AH-x000 series is amazing, I s*** you not. There is not a more widely enjoyed and consistent line of closed headphones in the entire hobby, and I'll argue that point with anyone.
That said... Closed? Jazz? Shure SRH940, no doubt.

just chiming in to say the SRH 940 is magical

Feb 14, 2012 at 5:37 AM Post #2,219 of 9,815
I'm pretty sure the headphone you are looking for is the HD 650. Jazz is not bass-reliant and is mid-heavy. The 650 is ideal for that.

You're thinking about the 840, the 940 is much more neutral, tighter bass and clearer highs. It's a very good jazz headphone.

Feb 14, 2012 at 5:39 AM Post #2,220 of 9,815
I wish to upgrade from my HD 428 Sennheiser cans. Are the HD598's that much better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back