The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
May 15, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #14,718 of 35,330
Holy crap! Massdrop already shipped my K7XX. This must be one of the fastest Massdrop deliveries for all their audio equipment buys. Must have been extras they had on hand. I'll have it Tuesday next week.
smily_headphones1.gif

Um, if you read correctly on their site, they did say they had extras from the last drop. They had them laying their at their warehouse. So obviously, they shipped out fast lol

May 15, 2015 at 3:31 AM Post #14,719 of 35,330
  From RazorDogAudio: "Mark your calendars! This weekend ONLY(May 15-17), the popular HiFiMAN HE-400i will be on sale for $399! Limited stock, so get yours while they last!"

http://www.razordogaudio.com/products/hifiman-he-400i-full-size-planar-driver-headphone

Audio Advisor too--this must be a factory authorized sale.

May 15, 2015 at 4:28 AM Post #14,720 of 35,330
Um, if you read correctly on their site, they did say they had extras from the last drop. They had them laying their at their warehouse. So obviously, they shipped out fast lol

I bought when they were almost gone, and I ended up being the 200th buyer to close out the drop. Who had time to read everything before purchasing :)

May 15, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #14,721 of 35,330
So...last summer I watched the Yamaha HPH-200s dive in price from $150 to $67 on Amazon. I waited for them to 'bottom out' at $60. The remaining 14 sold out in one day, they shot back up to $150, then down to $100 for a day...and settled in at $150 for almost a year.

They're Yamaha's, so who cares, right? Well I'd heard & read some good things about them and wanted a pair of 'low-profile' open headphones for my phone/laptop.

Recently, they've gone back down to $79 and I picked a pair up. Glad I did; great sound for the $$...comfortable, solid bass for an open headphone this size without ruining the sound signature, very good all-rounders.

If you're looking for some <$100 open headphones, they're definitely worth considering!

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-HPH-200WH-Headphones/dp/B009F8WR8G

The one negative (for me), only the white ones are at this price...really should've bought them last summer.
BTW, only 20 left. :wink:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/yamaha-hph-200-headphone-black
http://www.head-fi.org/t/640370/yamaha-hph-200-pictures-and-review-updated
http://www.head-fi.org/t/579698/yamaha-hph-200-whose-rebrands-are-these/15
http://www.head-fi.org/t/694010/comparison-of-sennheiser-amperior-beyerdynamic-dt-1350-martin-logan-micros-90-and-yamaha-hph-200-or-how-i-spent-my-winter-vacation

Great headphones. I consider them as an upgrade to Grado SR-60i - with smoothed treble and more bass (quantity). One gripe I have is that the pads are on-ear and I still have not found a suitable over-ear replacement. However, that's not a big problem.

May 15, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #14,722 of 35,330

Great headphones. I consider them as an upgrade to Grado SR-60i - with smoothed treble and more bass (quantity). One gripe I have is that the pads are on-ear and I still have not found a suitable over-ear replacement. However, that's not a big problem.

Maybe SR60i (I used to have 80i) but not IMO the new SR80e.  I got a pair of HPH200  last year after all the rave reviews for about £60 but I found the sound to be strangely 'closed in' for an open phone. Also couldn't stand to wear them for very long; the pads were even itchier than Grados ! Very irritating .I soon sold them, disappointed.  It shows that its important to listen yourself I suppose before buying but they are not easy to find.

The new gen Grados are more refined and smoother than the old but still have that sparkle and airiness the Yamahas lack, again IMO. They're a revelation, for anyone who hasn't liked Grados in the past might be worth trying again. They're still a bit pricier in the UK than the Yamaha but better value than they used to be.

May 15, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #14,723 of 35,330
May 15, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #14,726 of 35,330

I was a little skeptical it not being JDS.. But on the other hand, that 10 year warranty is awfully impressive. 

I just read that these need to be powered by a wall charger and its not portable... But is that true?

From what I've read it does indeed need a wall charger. Also Mayflower has been around a while and I have only heard great things about them.

May 15, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #14,728 of 35,330

I just figured out why it needs a wall charger. There are no internal batteries because the odac board takes up the space that the O2 allows. At least that is one reason...

I am interested in this revision B. I might order one myself as I've always wanted and o2 and odac. Though I am not sure how well it will pair with my HD800's, I heard Schiit vali and valhalla 2 are much better.

May 15, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #14,729 of 35,330
  I am interested in this revision B. I might order one myself as I've always wanted and o2 and odac. Though I am not sure how well it will pair with my HD800's, I heard Schiit vali and valhalla 2 are much better.

In my experience with odac and o2, if you want to hear the music into your headphones as they are, its the way to go. If you want to tweak the sound signature of the headphones, get into tubes. I liked the Vali, didn't like valhalla 1, but, as I understand, tubes will introduce more distortion than solid state. 

May 15, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #14,730 of 35,330

In my experience with odac and o2, if you want to hear the music into your headphones as they are, its the way to go. If you want to tweak the sound signature of the headphones, get into tubes. I liked the Vali, didn't like valhalla 1, but, as I understand, tubes will introduce more distortion than solid state. 

I actually purchased these headphones because they are transparent, that's what I want. I want the music to be clear and sound exactly the way the recording was meant to be heard. I want a lot of detail and great sound-stage. Whish the 800 had a little more bass though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back