The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
May 7, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #4,456 of 6,418
Exactly..but the guy above says he has a solution. I want to see it. I have never seen a leather cleaner or cream that didn't darken the entire headband. After an application I have only seen headbands looking like earpad color.

Last edited:
May 7, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #4,457 of 6,418
Exactly..but the guy above says he has a solution. I want to see it. I have never seen a leather cleaner or cream that didn't darken the entire headband.
I know, sorry, I just couldn't resist posting it. But it does look like it needs some care so it doesn't end up like this. And the seller claims "it has been lightly used."

Last edited:
May 7, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #4,458 of 6,418
I know, sorry, I just couldn't resist posting it. But it does look like it needs some care so it doesn't end up like this.
On Stellia it is gross....obviously black headband you can't see it, but it is there. Why I covered the headband on Stellia.

Last edited:
May 7, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #4,459 of 6,418
Excellent...love to see the product and some photos
CD0FD9E6-AEE5-4C74-9EE1-98AA6B054EEF.jpeg
2104F37B-76A7-4E93-BDA4-C40037693449.jpeg
C3EF4068-5610-47BE-A727-A5933919AAED.jpeg

Certainly- please see attached/inserted. My experience has been good, I just re-applied with a microfiber cloth (you don’t apply directly to the leather, similar to wood polish) about two hours before these were taken.

I hope this is helpful!

May 7, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #4,460 of 6,418
This is a thread for all fans of closed-back headphones.

Feel free to talk about anything "closed" in here. We don't discriminate on the grounds of budget or infamy. We promise. :)
Transparent Line (02).png

Recommended Headphones (Updated 03/03/2022)
This list is sorted solely on the basis of price. Some of these headphones are relatively balanced, whilst others are highly colored. Some are more neutral in tone, but others are fun and musical.

This is a community-curated list. If you have a favorite closed-back headphone that you think deserves a spot in this list, feel free to let us know.

All of these headphones are available to purchase, as of writing (i.e. they are not discontinued by the manufacturer).

Under $100
Beyerdynamic MMX-100
Creative Aurvana Live!
Samson SR950

Between $100 and $300
AKG K371
Audio-Technica ATH-GL3
Audio-Technica ATH-M40x
Beyerdynamic DT 150
Beyerdynamic DT 700 PRO X
Meze Audio 99 Noir
Shure SRH-840A
V-MODA Crossfade M-100 Master

Between $300 and $500
Austrian Audio Hi-X60
E-MU Teak
Meze Audio 99 Classics
Shure SRH-1540
V-MODA Crossfade 2 Wireless Codex Edition

Between $500 and $1000
Apple AirPods Max
Audeze LCD-2 Closed Back
Beyerdynamic DT 1770 PRO
Beyerdynamic T5 (3rd Generation)
Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Closed / Noire
Denon AH-7200
Drop + MrSpeakers Ether CX
Focal Celestee
Focal Elegia

Between $1,000 and $1,500
Audeze LCD-XC
Audio-Technica ATH-AP2000Ti
Audio-Technica ATH-AWAS
Focal Radiance
Kennerton Rognir Dynamic
ZMF Atticus

Between $1,500 and $2,000
Audio-Technica ATH-AWKT
Dan Clark Audio Ether C Flow 1.1
Denon AH-D9200
Fostex TH900 Mk2
Meze Audio LIRIC
Sony MDR-Z1R
ZMF Eikon

Over $2,000
Focal Stellia
Kennerton Rognir
ZMF Vérité Closed

Index of Reviews (Updated 12/12/2021)
This is a list of comparisons, impressions and reviews of a myriad closed-back headphones.

If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to us!

Comparison between the AKG K361, AKG K371, Audio-Technica ATH-M40x, Austrian Audio Hi-X15, Beyerdynamic DT 250, Sennheiser HD 300 PRO, Shure AONIC 50, Shure SRH440, Shure SRH840, and the Sony MDR-1AM2. [Link] [@raymanh]

Impressions of the Denon AH-D9200. [Link] [@kgbalien]

Comparison between the Austrian Audio Hi-X60 and the Beyerdynamic DT 700 PRO X. [Link] [@plakat]

Impressions of the Final Audio Sonorous III. [Link] [@dougms3]

Comparison between the Meze Audio LIRIC, the Sony MDR-Z1R, and the ZMF Vérité Closed. [Link] [@Malevolent]

Comparison between the Beyerdynamic DT 700 PRO X and the Meze Audio LIRIC. [Link] [@Nostoi]

Comparison between the Dan Clark Audio Stealth and the Meze Audio LIRIC (part 2). [Link] [@Malevolent]

Comparison between the Dan Clark Audio Stealth and the Meze Audio LIRIC (part 1). [Link] [@Malevolent]

Impressions of the Beyerdynamic DT 700 PRO X. [Link] [@Nostoi]

Comparison between the Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Noire, the Dan Clark Audio Ether C, and the Kennerton Magni. [Link] [@oqvist]

Impressions of the Dan Clark Audio Stealth. [Link] [@MSA1133]

Comparison between the Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 and the Sony WH-1000XM4. [Link] [@Malevolent]

Comparison between the Beyerdynamic T5 (3rd Generation), the Denon AH-D9200, and the Fostex TH900 Mk2. [Link] [@Malevolent]

Comparison between the Denon AH-D9200 and the Fostex TH900 Mk2. [Link] [@Lickumms]

Comparison between the Denon AH-D9200 and the Sennheiser HD 820. [Link] [@anaheim85]

Comparison between the Sony MDR-Z1R and the Sony MDR-Z7. [Link] [@Redcarmoose]

Comparison between the Focal Elegia (with Celestee pads) and the Focal Elegia (with stock pads). [Link] [@Malevolent]

Impressions of the V-MODA M-200 Master. [Link] [@plakat]

Comparison between the Kennerton Rögnir and the ZMF Vérité Closed. [Link] [@Nostoi]

Comparison between the Focal Radiance and the Focal Stellia. [Link] [@AudioDuck]

Comparison between the Focal Radiance and the Focal Elear (open-back). [Link] [@AudioDuck]

Impressions of the Kennerton Rögnir. [Link] [@Malevolent]

Comparison between the Kennerton Rögnir, Kennerton Gjallarhorn JM Edition, the Focal Stellia, the Audio-Technica ATH-AWAS, the Audio-Technica ATH-A2000X, and the ZMF Vérité Closed. [Link] [@Strayngs]

Comparison between the Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Noire, the Dan Clark Audio Ether C Flow 1.1, the LSA HP-2 Ultra, and the Beyerdynamic/Drop DT 177X GO. [Link] [@arielext]

Comparison between a bunch of Audio-Technica headphones - ATH-M50x, ATH-M70x, ATH-MSR7, ATH-MSR7B, ATH-MSR7SE, ATH-WS1100. [Link] [@Sp12er3]

Review of the ZMF Vérité Closed. [Link] [@Malevolent]

Review of the Kennerton Gjallarhorn GH50. [Link] [@Malevolent]

Impressions of the Fostex TH900 Mk2 (Pearl Limited Edition). [Link] [@bythebookiii]

Comparison between the Denon AH-D9200 and the Pioneer SE-Monitor 5. [Link] [@Chris Kaoss]

Comparison between the Audeze LCD-XC, the Kennerton Gjallarhorn GH50, the Klipsch Heritage HP-3, and the ZMF Vérité Closed. [Link] [@Malevolent]

Comparison between a whole bunch of headphones, including the Audeze LCD-XC, the Audio-Technica ATH-AWKT, the Beyerdynamic T5p (2nd Gen), the Denon AH-D7200, the Focal Elegia, and a whole lot more! [Link] [@TSelanne]

Comparison between the Audio-Technica ATH-WP900, the Denon AH-D9200, the Fostex TH900 Mk2, and the Kennerton Gjallarhorn GH50. [Link] [@Malevolent]

Impressions of the Sony MDR-Z1R. [Link] [@bythebookiii]

Comparison between the Audeze LCD-2 Closed Back, the Campfire Audio Cascade, and the Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Closed. [Link] [@Malevolent]

Impressions of the ZMF Vérité Closed with 4 different pads. [Link] [@Nostoi]

Comparison between the Sony MDR-Z1R and the MDR-Z7M2. [Link] [@Malevolent]

Comparison between the Audio-Technica ATH-AWKT and the ZMF Vérité Closed. [Link] [@Nostoi]

Impressions of the Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Closed. [Link] [@Xero the Banana]

Comparison between the Focal Stellia and the ZMF Vérité Closed. [Link] [@MakubexGB]

Comparison between the Denon AH-D9200, the Sony MDR-Z1R, and the ZMF Vérité Closed. [Link] [@Malevolent]

Comparison between the Audio-Technica ATH-ADX5000, the ATH-AP2000Ti, the ATH-AWAS, the ATH-AWKT, and the ATH-WP900. [Link] [@frederikehertz]

Impressions of the Audio-Technica ATH-AP2000Ti. [Link] [@bythebookiii]

Comparison between the Audio-Technica ATH-WP900, the Beyerdynamic T5p (2nd Generation), and the Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Closed. [Link] [@Malevolent]

Comparison between the Audio-Technica AP2000Ti, the ATH-AWAS, the ATH-AWKT, and the ATH-WP900. [Link] [@Nostoi]

Misc
Here's a list of closed-back planar headphones (Updated 28 Dec 2021).

What a great list! I have a few one here and can't wait to look at the convos and comparisons!

May 7, 2022 at 3:24 PM Post #4,462 of 6,418
So I have:
Sennheiser HD598 Cs
Beyerdynamic DT 770
Sony MDR 7506
Marantz MPH-4
Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7
Sennheiser HD 300 Pro
Beyerdynamic DT 177x Go
Bose SoundTrue II wired around ear
Bowers & Wilkins PX Active Noise Cancelling Wireless Headphones

Mostly I use them for streaming shows with my Amazon Fire HD10 tablet, or Creative X-Fi out of laptop, or a FX-Audio DAC-X6 optical out of TV but mostly the tablet.

Late night in bed while wife is sleeping so closed back design only for me.

Last edited:
May 7, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #4,463 of 6,418
I know, sorry, I just couldn't resist posting it. But it does look like it needs some care so it doesn't end up like this. And the seller claims "it has been lightly used."
Something not right was put on that headband. Is it real leather or PU? I wouldn't put any leather conditioner or cleaner on headphone bands to be honest.

If you're concerned about or notice oils transferring to the headband, just get a cover.

Ear pads you're not going to have any choice, but fortunately those are also replaceable.

May 8, 2022 at 4:24 AM Post #4,465 of 6,418
Excellent...love to see the product and some photos
Just to add, my stellia look even worse than that and are 6 weeks old lol, my only hope is the stain meets in the middle and its one dark headband.

Incidentally I've owned a lot of headphones, and the only ones that seem to all cosmetically stain are focals (Clear, Elegia and Stellia). I'm quite certain focal know what they're doing, it's a business strategy to devalue the used market. The Stellia for instance, we've likely all owned leather headphones here, has one of them stained due to hair oils? I've never seen it, or heard of it. Same for their suede pads which magically wear down and require replacing within a year or two, whereas every manufacturer somehow manages to make long lasting pads. It's a bit of a no brainer when you realise Focal also happen to sell some of the most overpriced pads in the industry ($250 for clear replacements...)

I love the Focal sound but their longevity and cosmetic issues are real considerations you need to make as a buyer, and their materials choices are dubious at best from a consumer perspective.

Something not right was put on that headband. Is it real leather or PU? I wouldn't put any leather conditioner or cleaner on headphone bands to be honest.

If you're concerned about or notice oils transferring to the headband, just get a cover.

Ear pads you're not going to have any choice, but fortunately those are also replaceable.
I have not put anything on my headband and it looks similar to his with huge dark marks. It's because Focal chose to use a very delicate leather...Meanwhile my P9s, 2 years old, leather, look identical to new. It's focals issue not the users.

Last edited:
May 9, 2022 at 3:18 AM Post #4,466 of 6,418
I would really recommend looking for a pair of used Beyerdynamic T5p (2nd gen) or T5 (3rd gen), which you might be able to snag in your budget. They are super well built, and come up every so often in the classifieds.

These have a really wide soundstage due to their angled drivers, paired with amazing imaging. They are also easy to drive and tolerate EQ very well (the gen2 can be bright like other Beyers for some)

You won't get kicked out, and you won't regret buying them used (I bought my t5 used for 700, as new only a month after purchase....)
Thanks a lot! At the moment there aren't any for sale in classifieds I think. Any alternatives you can think of?

Last edited:
May 9, 2022 at 4:00 AM Post #4,467 of 6,418
DCA Aeon 2 Closed and Focal Elegia Comparison

Source is Topping D30 pro and A30 pro single ended for both (balanced cables on their way).

Comfort: Both are comfortable, but Elegia feels like wearing a cushion on your ears and head. The fabric feels nice and never feels warm even after long hours. Aeon 2 are quite a lot lighter in weight and you really don't feeling anything on the top, just something pressing on the sides of your head.

Isolation: With both, I can't hear my PC fans running or the traffic outside, but Aeon 2 is still better isolating.

Power: To match the volume, Elegia were on Low gain - 10 o'clock and Aeon 2 were Medium gain 11 o'clock.

Sound differences: On Elegias the quieter part of the song feels quieter and the louder part sounds louder and grand-er in scale. on Aeon 2 I hear the clock ticks on the early part, more clearly and can point them more accurately. That actually goes for all the instruments. I can focus on any one instruments more easily and the point their source, in my head. Also when the rumble around 3:26 feels more pronounced on Aeon 2. Stage is spread out laterally and equally on Aeon 2 whereas on Elegia's its a bit weird. The early part of the song is closer and within my head, but on the later part, the instruments on the right side are further far off and the left is still the same. Also the stage is taller on Elegias. I was using Aeon 2 without any tuning foam filters that come in the box.

Finally my reason for buying: I wanted closed back since my environment is not quite enough to enjoy music. I use them while working to drown out the external noise. I bought Elegias first and then wanted a Planar, just to get a different presentation. I considered LCD-XC for a while, but ended up going with Aeo2 because of their portability and lighter weight.
20210628_121546 (1).jpg

May 9, 2022 at 4:19 AM Post #4,468 of 6,418
Thanks a lot! At the moment there aren't any for sale in classifieds I think. Any alternatives you can think of?

I haven't owned/tried a vast amount of headphones, and the T5's handily best other competitors for your budget like the Shure 1540 in soundstage, or other phones like Aeon line from DCA.

If possible, check your local version of Craigslist or whatever is similar to that. I didn't get my T5's here, but on a local site and they were brand new with 2 sets of dekoni pads...

Most people who try and buy and sell aren't on head for, so hopefully you can get a hit sooner rather than later, but unless you really, really need them to put out a fire,a few weeks looking should hopefully pass fine 🙂

May 9, 2022 at 5:33 AM Post #4,469 of 6,418
I haven't owned/tried a vast amount of headphones, and the T5's handily best other competitors for your budget like the Shure 1540 in soundstage, or other phones like Aeon line from DCA.

If possible, check your local version of Craigslist or whatever is similar to that. I didn't get my T5's here, but on a local site and they were brand new with 2 sets of dekoni pads...

Most people who try and buy and sell aren't on head for, so hopefully you can get a hit sooner rather than later, but unless you really, really need them to put out a fire,a few weeks looking should hopefully pass fine 🙂
Thanks I'll check it out.

May 9, 2022 at 9:17 AM Post #4,470 of 6,418
DCA Aeon 2 Closed and Focal Elegia Comparison

Source is Topping D30 pro and A30 pro single ended for both (balanced cables on their way).

Comfort: Both are comfortable, but Elegia feels like wearing a cushion on your ears and head. The fabric feels nice and never feels warm even after long hours. Aeon 2 are quite a lot lighter in weight and you really don't feeling anything on the top, just something pressing on the sides of your head.

Isolation: With both, I can't hear my PC fans running or the traffic outside, but Aeon 2 is still better isolating.

Power: To match the volume, Elegia were on Low gain - 10 o'clock and Aeon 2 were Medium gain 11 o'clock.

Sound differences: On Elegias the quieter part of the song feels quieter and the louder part sounds louder and grand-er in scale. on Aeon 2 I hear the clock ticks on the early part, more clearly and can point them more accurately. That actually goes for all the instruments. I can focus on any one instruments more easily and the point their source, in my head. Also when the rumble around 3:26 feels more pronounced on Aeon 2. Stage is spread out laterally and equally on Aeon 2 whereas on Elegia's its a bit weird. The early part of the song is closer and within my head, but on the later part, the instruments on the right side are further far off and the left is still the same. Also the stage is taller on Elegias. I was using Aeon 2 without any tuning foam filters that come in the box.

Finally my reason for buying: I wanted closed back since my environment is not quite enough to enjoy music. I use them while working to drown out the external noise. I bought Elegias first and then wanted a Planar, just to get a different presentation. I considered LCD-XC for a while, but ended up going with Aeo2 because of their portability and lighter weight.
20210628_121546 (1).jpg
You should try the Elegias with different pads and a better cable than what it comes with stock. I would say it's almost a must for the headphone. The Dekoni Limited Stellia pads really make a huge difference. I'm sure any PU, leather or sheepskin pads would be similar.

The Aeon 2 and LCD-XC are on my list for the future. Good to know the Aeon 2 aren't too weak in the rumble department.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back