The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Nov 19, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #931 of 6,351
It wasn't that I didn't like the WP900's. I liked them quite a bit, if push came to shove though, I would have liked them to have a little more weight or richness through the mids and rein the highs in just a hair. If it wasn't for my TMJ I would have happily kept them as my "fun" headphone though. Unfortunately, after awhile I found they seemed to put a bit of pressure right on the joint of my jaw which wasn't bothersome while using them but I'd notice it after the fact. I also have a bit of tinnitus in my left ear (the same side my jaw and inner bother me) and sometimes when my TMJ acts up it makes the ringing louder which was the case after using the WP900's. That was the deal breaker for me.

So far I haven't noticed these issues with the AWAS. The AWAS has a fairly light clamp but it's also feels very evenly distributed so there isn't pressure points on my jaw. The D7200's have quite a bit more clamp but I'm able to angle the cups a bit to relieve the pressure on the jaw but I don't think that's going to be enough.
I see. Well, as always, subjectivity is the order of the day, and I'm sorry to hear that you didn't find the ATH-WP900 a close match to your preferences, in both sound and comfort.

For me, I greatly enjoy using the ATH-WP900; it's a headphone that is decidedly non-pretentious; it knows it isn't a world-beater in terms of clarity and detail, but what it does well is to present a highly-engaging and musical sound.

Like you, I find the ATH-AWAS (and the ATH-AWKT) more comfortable in terms of the way the pads envelop your head; plus, the clamp feels a little less tight. However, the pads aren't so plush - I was hoping for something a little thicker. Maybe some aftermarket pads might do the trick?

Anyway, I hope that you find a great fit for your requirements. Good luck! :)

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #932 of 6,351
It wasn't that I didn't like the WP900's. I liked them quite a bit, if push came to shove though, I would have liked them to have a little more weight or richness through the mids and rein the highs in just a hair. If it wasn't for my TMJ I would have happily kept them as my "fun" headphone though. Unfortunately, after awhile I found they seemed to put a bit of pressure right on the joint of my jaw which wasn't bothersome while using them but I'd notice it after the fact. I also have a bit of tinnitus in my left ear (the same side my jaw and inner bother me) and sometimes when my TMJ acts up it makes the ringing louder which was the case after using the WP900's. That was the deal breaker for me.

So far I haven't noticed these issues with the AWAS. The AWAS has a fairly light clamp but it's also feels very evenly distributed so there isn't pressure points on my jaw. The D7200's have quite a bit more clamp but I'm able to angle the cups a bit to relieve the pressure on the jaw but I don't think that's going to be enough.
Have you tried the Sony Z7 (or Z7 mk2) or Z1R? I think they are the most comfortable of the closed headphones (correct me if I'm wrong, @Malevolent). I only have the original Z7, but for the comments I've read (@bythebookiii also had problems with several headphones due to comfort, but not with the WP900, now he is enjoying a Z1R).

Nov 19, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #933 of 6,351

I'd like to tighten the clamp on mine. I find them a little loose, and would prefer a tighter seal. I'm too afraid to start bending the headband.

Nov 19, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #934 of 6,351
Ugh...I am having a major brain cramp, but what are those thingies called, that wrap around a head band using velcro, I presume. I think their meant to preserve original headband padding &/or add more padding? 2020 has seriously fried my brain.

Nov 19, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #935 of 6,351
I see. Well, as always, subjectivity is the order of the day, and I'm sorry to hear that you didn't find the ATH-WP900 a close match to your preferences, in both sound and comfort.
I wouldn't say it didn't match my sound preferences or was uncomfortable. I did really like the sound, my comments on what I would change is me nit picking. I could probably do that with just about any headphone. My TMJ can be really strange with issues rising after the fact. While I did notice a bit of pressure on my jaw joint while listening, overall, I found the WP900's pretty comfy and light while wearing them. It was after a listening session that my jaw would start to ache and the tinnitus would get worse. The ringing will usually ease off after a day or two as long as I'm not doing anything to further irritate the TMJ.

Have you tried the Sony Z7 (or Z7 mk2) or Z1R? I think they are the most comfortable of the closed headphones (correct me if I'm wrong, @Malevolent). I only have the original Z7, but for the comments I've read (@bythebookiii also had problems with several headphones due to comfort, but not with the WP900, now he is enjoying a Z1R).
I owned a Z7 when it first came out. I don't remember exactly how it sounded but I did like it for what it was. If I remember correctly, I sold it when I bought the NightHawks. The NightHawks/NightOwl's and Z7's are some of the most comfortable headphones I've used. The NightOwl was the first headphone I bought when I ventured back into headphones a little while back. Unfortunately, I don't have the funds to keep everything so the NightOwl went when I got the AWAS. At the time I didn't think I was going to have any issues with the WP900's, those cropped up after I sold the NightOwl's. I've been tempted to get another NightOwl but I also love listening to new phones/sonic signatures.

Nov 19, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #936 of 6,351
@elnero I know you'd be going from memory, but as an Owl keeper (and lover
1605825316946.png
) I'm always interested in hearing comparisons to the more opulent closed-backs. Definitely one of the most comfortable cans, open or closed. She's also quite the seductress with her liquid, silky charms.

Nov 20, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #937 of 6,351
11363847.jpg

My Kennerton Gjallarhorn has arrived! :)

Unboxing impressions - Wow, talk about an interesting presentation. You get a slip case over a cute "lunch box" bag; the headphones are safely nestled within. The Gjallarhorn has an impeccable finish, with a great blend of metal, wood, and leather (?). From the looks alone, I am very impressed.

Let's hope they sound as great as they look!

Nov 20, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #938 of 6,351
Yes, all 3 Sony headphones, the MDR-Z1R, the MDR-Z7, and the MDR-Z7M2, are supremely comfortable. They are amongst the most comfy headphones that I've tried in my life. They have certain aspects in common - a relatively light frame, a snug fit, and very plush and thick pads.

Off hand, I can only think of a few headphones that feel just as comfortable. Within the closed-back side of things, the AudioQuest NightOwl Carbon and the Dan Clark Audio Ether C + Ether C Flow come to mind.

Nov 20, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #939 of 6,351
Ugh...I am having a major brain cramp, but what are those thingies called, that wrap around a head band using velcro, I presume. I think their meant to preserve original headband padding &/or add more padding? 2020 has seriously fried my brain.
You were probably thinking of headphone pads?

Something like the ZMF Pilot Pad and the ZMF Co-Pilot?

Nov 20, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #940 of 6,351
The Shure SRH1540 is up there in comfort levels with the stock Alcantara pads. Incidentally, I switched them out some years ago for Brainwavz sheepskin pads because of the sonic improvements, but you can't beat those Alcantara's for pure pillow-hugging softness!

I know you've only just received the Gjallarhorn, Malevolent, but I think I speak for us all in this thread when I say we want impressions. NOW.

1605905550016.png

Nov 20, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #941 of 6,351
I wouldn't say it didn't match my sound preferences or was uncomfortable. I did really like the sound, my comments on what I would change is me nit picking. I could probably do that with just about any headphone. My TMJ can be really strange with issues rising after the fact. While I did notice a bit of pressure on my jaw joint while listening, overall, I found the WP900's pretty comfy and light while wearing them. It was after a listening session that my jaw would start to ache and the tinnitus would get worse. The ringing will usually ease off after a day or two as long as I'm not doing anything to further irritate the TMJ.
Ah, I see. Well, I hope that the ATH-AWAS continues to perform in the sound and comfort aspects. :)

I owned a Z7 when it first came out. I don't remember exactly how it sounded but I did like it for what it was. If I remember correctly, I sold it when I bought the NightHawks. The NightHawks/NightOwl's and Z7's are some of the most comfortable headphones I've used. The NightOwl was the first headphone I bought when I ventured back into headphones a little while back. Unfortunately, I don't have the funds to keep everything so the NightOwl went when I got the AWAS. At the time I didn't think I was going to have any issues with the WP900's, those cropped up after I sold the NightOwl's. I've been tempted to get another NightOwl but I also love listening to new phones/sonic signatures.
The sound of the NightOwl Carbon is as smooth as its comfort levels. In fact, it even looks the part - a headphone that's designed for 'easy' listening. It's certainly one of the better headphones with that particular signature. I've been trying to get a hold of a pair for some time now; however, this has proven to be very difficult, considering its current status.

Like you, I enjoy trying new headphones all the time; however, I have a few established favorites that I would never be rid of - the Sony MDR-Z1R and the Fostex TH900 Mk2 come to mind. These are the staples of my collection, and ones that I will continue to use until they fall apart, I reckon.

Nov 20, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #942 of 6,351
The Shure SRH1540 is up there in comfort levels with the stock Alcantara pads. Incidentally, I switched them out some years ago for Brainwavz sheepskin pads because of the sonic improvements, but you can't beat those Alcantara's for pure pillow-hugging softness!
Ahh, yes, the SRH1540. It's another comfortable pair - although, I still think that the NightOwl Carbon trumps it in the overall sense. I'm just splitting hairs, anyway.

I'm just rambling here - it's important that manufacturers pay attention to the comfort side of things. Far too many headphones are produced with a variety of comfort and/or fit issues. Some are too heavy, whilst others come with a vice-like grip. Some have really crappy pads, even. Geez, can't they get this fundamental aspect right? :expressionless:

I know you've only just received the Gjallarhorn, Malevolent, but I think I speak for us all in this thread when I say we want impressions. NOW.

I'll get some impressions in on Saturday. It's 5:00 AM here in Singapore. :wink:

Yeah, I know it's late. Don't ask.. I'm a night owl (pun not intended).

Nov 20, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #943 of 6,351
Ah, I see. Well, I hope that the ATH-AWAS continues to perform in the sound and comfort aspects. :)

The sound of the NightOwl Carbon is as smooth as its comfort levels. In fact, it even looks the part - a headphone that's designed for 'easy' listening. It's certainly one of the better headphones with that particular signature. I've been trying to get a hold of a pair for some time now; however, this has proven to be very difficult, considering its current status.

Like you, I enjoy trying new headphones all the time; however, I have a few established favorites that I would never be rid of - the Sony MDR-Z1R and the Fostex TH900 Mk2 come to mind. These are the staples of my collection, and ones that I will continue to use until they fall apart, I reckon.
If I had known you were looking to pick the nightowls back up; I would have gladly sold you the ones I just recently sold; with a hefty discount aha

Nov 21, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #945 of 6,351
WP900-D9200-TH900-Gjallarhorn.png

So, 3 Japanese and 1 Russian walked into a bar...

Here's a comparison of 4 of woodies in my collection - the Audio-Technica ATH-WP900, the Denon AH-D9200, the evergreen Fostex TH900 Mk2, and the newest entry to the collective, the Kennerton Gjallarhorn GH50!

Some pre-review notes:
  • All of them were tested with their stock cables.
  • My source is the usual, a Schiit Gungnir Multibit and a Schiit Mjolnir 2.
  • I used an eclectic selection of tracks (75% EDM, 25% Pop and Rock).
So, let's get to it, shall we?

Bass
Audio-Technica ATH-WP900:
Naturally, the Audio-Technica has the heaviest lows of the 4. Its mid-bass hump is huge, and coupled with a (very) tangible sub-bass rumble, the entire bass presentation can be perceived as "big and bold". If you enjoy a massive bass boost, the ATH-WP900 is certainly the most compelling of the 4. It retains decent texture in its lows, and a lingering decay.

However, the ATH-WP900 is also the poorest contender in terms of definition and layering. As the mid-bass is boosted by quite a fair bit, there is some bleed into the lower-mids; expect some congestion in your music.

Denon AH-D9200: The mid and sub-bass regions on the Denon are slightly boosted, but not too much. It has the leanest and lightest bass profile of the 4 headphones here. Nevertheless, you will be wrong to dismiss the AH-D9200 on the prominence of its bass alone; it actually has the best quality in the lineup. It has very good texture and layering - the bassline is present but never overwhelming; the bass rumbles clearly but never egregiously.

The AH-D9200 is also fairly punchy, with good transients. Decay is perceptible, but it isn't prolonged. All in all, the Denon has a top-notch bass presentation.

Fostex TH900 Mk2: We now come to 1 of the grand champions of the bass arena. Is the Gjallarhorn good enough to beat the Fostex? Firstly, the mid-bass on the TH900 Mk2 is actually less prominent than on the Gjallarhorn. Nevertheless, sub-bass rumble and extension remain true hallmarks of this legendary headphone. The usual accolades are true - the TH900 Mk2 has good texture, articulation, and has enough of a boost in its bass to render a solid and compelling presentation that carries bass-driven music to its finest levels.

However, the TH900 Mk2, by virtue of its boosted bass, has a tendency to sound a little boomy. Thankfully, this is controlled well, so there is little intrusion into the lower midrange. The Fostex retains a punchy and impactful low-end, with transients that are lagging slightly behind the Gjallarhorn.

Kennerton Gjallarhorn GH50: We now come to the star of the show. It is true, the Gjallarhorn's forte is its bass, and yes, it does it really, really well. Its lows are solid but not overbearing, with a strong push in its mid-bass complementing one of the best sub-bass presentations around. There is apparent rumble that rivals the TH900 Mk2, with extension that is equally as formidable. Moreover, bass is punchy, with very good impact and texture. Like the Fostex, it can get a little boomy as well, but again, this is handled rather well, so we don't hear the sort of midrange congestion that is obvious on the ATH-WP900.

Layering and articulation on the Kennerton lags slightly behind the AH-D9200, however, but solidly trades blows with the Fostex in this category. There is adequate slam that is fast and tight. Suffice to say, if you enjoy a grand bass presentation, the Gjallarhorn fits that bill.

Winner: In terms of overall quality, it's probably the Denon AH-D9200. It has the best detail and layering in its lows. However, as a blend of quantity and quality, I actually prefer the Gjallarhorn GH50 over the Fostex TH900 Mk2.

Midrange
Sadly, thanks to its "v-shaped" signature, the Audio-Technica has the most recessed midrange of the bunch. This results in a presentation that sees vocals sounding recessed and distant. With vocal-driven music, the performers appear the furthest away; a very jarring effect, especially when one is doing quick transitions between different headphones with the same tracks.

With that being said, the ATH-WP900 has lush and warm mids; vocals are full and rounded. They simply don't sound forward enough to retain engagement in this arena. There is decent separation in the midrange, though.

Denon AH-D9200: Without a doubt, the Denon has the best midrange on display here. There is adequate lushness and a tinge of warmth to lend vocals a strong push; this results in voices that are clear yet authoritative, distinct yet compelling. There is good definition in this area, resulting in instruments and voices being reproduced with a level of prominence. There is also good separation and articulation. Vocals are rounded but aren't too weighty; the Gjallarhorn and the ATH-WP900 are better in this particular department.

Fostex TH900 Mk2: The Fostex retains its infamous midrange dip, which has the unfortunate result of producing vocals and instruments that lack forwardness. Thankfully, it isn't as distant or as recessed as the ATH-WP900. Nevertheless, balance was never a key factor in the Fostex's composition.

Still, vocals retain a sense of energy and definition; they are clear and well-defined. It doesn't have as lush a presentation as the Denon or Kennerton, though. At times, the midrange can sound a little nasal, too.

Kennerton Gjallarhorn GH50: The Kennerton comes into this shootout bearing a midrange that is thick, lush, and weighty. It's certainly more rounded and full than its Denon and Fostex contemporaries. Vocals, especially, retain a good sense of authority. You'll certainly enjoy the vigor on display here. However, it lacks the articulation and clarity of the aforementioned 2. Thankfully, it also retains an organic timbre, so you'll certainly enjoy the vocal reproduction capabilities of the Gjallarhorn GH50.

Winner: It's obvious, it's the Denon AH-D9200. It has the greatest balance of the 4, with a midrange that is teeming with quality. The Kennerton has a less-sculpted midrange, but compensates with a lusher, warmer presentation.

Treble
The ATH-WP900 has an accentuated treble section; there is good detail and decent articulation. There is also a (very) slight semblance of air. The slightly-boosted highs certain exude a sense of energy and engagement. However, the highs have a tendency to sound a little hot at times. It doesn't get sibilant, but it can be fatiguing.

Denon AH-D9200: In terms of prominence, the Denon doesn't come close to the Fostex's highs, but that is a good thing. Of the 4 headphones, the AH-D9200 has the clearest and cleanest highs. The treble retains good detail, with crystalline sparkle and loads of energy.

If you enjoy crisp and brilliant highs, the Denon does this in spades. Extension is also excellent on the AH-D9200, with a lasting reach into the upper registers. Of the headphones in this comparison, the Denon has the airiest highs; make no mistake, though, it's airy by closed-back standards only.

Fostex TH900 Mk2: Clearly (no pun intended), the Fostex has the harshest highs in this bunch. It is prominent and overbearing, resulting in a treble presentation that is often hot and harsh, and sibilant at the worst of times. If you are sensitive to treble brilliance, stay away from the TH900 Mk2.

Nevertheless, it isn't all bad with the Fostex. The highs are crystal clear, with good extension and expression. It is also decently airy, trailing the Denon by a hair in this category.

Kennerton Gjallarhorn GH50: Sadly, the treble on the Kennerton is subdued, muted even. It is recessed, with a distinct lack of peaks, so its highs lack a measure of air and presence. With that being said, there is some semblance of definition, clarity, and sparkle; it's just harder to distinguish, in general.

Nevertheless, if you enjoy a smooth, controlled treble presence, the Kennerton is certainly a great fit. The entire treble section is velvety smooth and somewhat gentle, so fans of a darker signature might gravitate to the Gjallarhorn GH50.

Winner: The AH-D9200 has the best treble of the bunch. It is clear and detailed, but never sibilant or harsh. It also offers a distinct level of airiness that is lacking in both the Gjallarhorn and the ATH-WP900.

Technicalities
Let's get this out of the way. The ATH-WP900 is the least resolving headphone in this lineup. However, the margin between this and the Gjallarhorn isn't too great. Clarity and micro-detail retrieval is decent, but these aspects are severely hampered by a congestion in its lower-midrange. Thankfully, it retains decent instrument separation and layering throughout.

Denon AH-D9200: With the cleanest profile and the best resolving capabilities, the AH-D9200 shows its chops in this department. It easily renders micro-detail without a sweat; you'll have no issues discerning the nuances and finer elements of each song and track. It performs decently well with layering and instrument separation, too, but the Fostex trumps it in these aspects.

Fostex TH900 Mk2: The TH900 Mk2 reproduces detail on a level that is similar to the Denon; it probably loses out by a sliver, though. Overall resolution is fantastic, and it beats the Denon in instrument separation and layering. Unfortunately, it also has a slightly crowded signature, thanks to its boosted bass and treble sections; thus, its technical capabilities are ostensibly hampered - you'll need to strip off all the extra layers to hear the fine detail underneath.

Kennerton Gjallarhorn GH50: The Kennerton has decent resolving abilities; however, it is a rung below both the Denon and the Fostex. Its biggest issue is its ability to reproduce finer elements within crowded passages. In this sense, it ever-so-slightly bests the ATH-WP900; this was quite surprising, since I'd assume that the Kennerton would handily trump the Audio-Technica in detail. This was not the case, however.

Winner: In the overall balance of things, it's a tie between the AH-D9200 and the TH900 Mk2. The Denon fares better in overall resolution; it is effortless in this particular regard. On the other hand, the Fostex resolves detail and nuance on a level close to the AH-D9200. However, it is superior in separating instruments, voices and layers; this is most apparent in complex tracks.

Staging and Imaging
The ATH-WP900 has a slightly wider stage than the Gjallarhorn. Elements within a track sound a little mashed together, with poor-to-average separation. Imaging is on par with the Gjallarhorn; it's easily beaten by the Denon and the Fostex, however.

Denon AH-D9200: The Denon doesn't have a big soundscape to begin with, but it is evidently bigger in all 3 dimensions than the ATH-WP900 and the Gjallarhorn. It has very good imaging, however, offering precise aural cues to instruments and voices.

Fostex TH900 Mk2: Here, the Fostex shines, offering the largest and deepest stage; music sounds sufficiently expansive on the TH900 Mk2. There is a vivid sense of scale that is missing in the other 3 headphones. Thankfully, it doesn't falter in the imaging department either, offering precise cues similar to that on the AH-D9200.

Kennerton Gjallarhorn GH50: Strangely, the Gjallarhorn has the smallest stage of the 4, in terms of horizontal width. It is a touch deeper than the ATH-WP900, though. Like the Audio-Technica, instruments and vocals appear congested and close to each other. Imaging suffers as a result, lagging behind both the Fostex and the Denon in this regard.

Winner: The TH900 Mk2 easily takes the trophy for this category. It has the widest and deepest stage, and offers a sense of scale that provides a touch of grandeur to your music.

Comfort
The Audio-Technica is the lightest with a moderate clamp force. The pads are also sufficiently roomy and plush. As a result, it has a good level of comfort.

Denon AH-D9200: The AH-D9200 has the strongest clamp force of the bunch. It isn't vice-like, though, but it's sufficiently tight that some users may experience a level of discomfort. Its pads aren't very plush, relative to its cup size, offering depth that is shallower than the Gjallarhorn. In general, I didn't experience any major issues using the Denon.

Fostex TH900 Mk2: The Fostex has the weakest clamp (read: terrible) of the bunch. In order to get them to fit, you'll need to push the headband closer together. The pads are sufficiently thick, but I would have preferred something thicker and deeper to counteract the lack of grip afforded by its headband assembly. It's a comfortable headphone, as long as you don't move your head too much.

Kennerton Gjallarhorn GH50: The Gjallarhorn has the softest headband and the roomiest, plushest pads. The grip is rather tight, though. They don't feel very heavy (even though it should), with its mass evenly distributed across its structure.

Winner: The ATH-WP900 steals the win in this category. It is light, with soft, comfortable pads. The TH900 Mk2 would be supremely comfortable too, if it came with a slightly tighter grip.

Final Thoughts
From my initial impressions of the Gjallarhorn, I knew that it was capable of producing great bass, and this was confirmed during the shootout. It has a grand bass presentation that actually bests the Fostex by a hair. This is no easy feat, mind you, as only a few headphones on the contemporary market are able to match the TH900 Mk2 in the delicate balance of quality VS quantity. The Kennerton does this, and does this very well, too. I didn't expect it to beat the Denon and the Fostex in the detail and clarity department, however.

It's interesting to note that the Gjallarhorn has a tonality that is quite different from the rest - the AH-D9200 is the most balanced of the 4, the TH900 Mk2 and the ATH-WP900 are both "v-shaped", with the Audio-Technica being more slanted toward the low-end, and the Fostex being more prominent in its treble. In contrast, the Gjallarhorn has a tonality that is decidedly "dark", with a smooth, velvety signature throughout, complemented by a robust and excellent low-end presence.

The TH900 MK2 retains its engagement crown, but I have found a new headphone that does bass equally well, if not better. I would still pick the Fostex for dance music, as its energetic treble helps to balance its "big bass"; however, the mellower signature of the Kennerton is a great complement, offering bold lows with midrange and treble sections that are smooth and sugary. If you can stomach the treble, however, the Fostex remains one of the kings of EDM.

The AH-D9200 is still the best of the bunch here, and easily competes with some of the best closed-back headphones on the market, such as the MDR-Z1R, the Vérité Closed, the ATH-AWKT, and the Stellia. Its relatively balanced tone is matched well by a competent bass presence and a treble section that is equal parts sparkling and detailed. Resolution on the Denon is one of the finest around, and you'll be hard pressed to find a major issue with it.

Sadly, the ATH-WP900 is outmatched and outgunned here, but this is no surprise, really, considering the price gulf between the different contenders (the Gjallarhorn costs twice as much). Still, it offers a fun and musical signature, blending a robust low-end with engaging, lively highs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back