The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
May 1, 2024 at 4:50 AM Post #6,346 of 6,351
I did try several Focal models but not the Radiance. Would be interesting since I don’t like stocks in general and that onesie said to be rather different as I seem to remember. That’s the Bentley coop, isn’t it?

I used to own the D9200 and quite liked it. Might get it again…
It might be a good idea. To get the Denon back.
It is a good headphone. The moment i have sold mine a thought came - what have i done :relaxed:

May 1, 2024 at 5:27 AM Post #6,347 of 6,351
I did try several Focal models but not the Radiance. Would be interesting since I don’t like stocks in general and that onesie said to be rather different as I seem to remember. That’s the Bentley coop, isn’t it?
+1 for the Radiance
Best sounding Focal minus the Utopia which I skipped.

-- cable voodoo disclaimer --

Personally I prefer the GH50 due to its horn driver, however, with the GH50 cable (I'm sure there are other cable brands that work well) the Radiance sounds more organic than stock (treble, mids) and the only downside I can think of are the pads. Not only are there no replacement pads available for purchase, but some pairs will have uneven depth, so beware.
Edit:
Honorable mention goes to ATH AWAS with Dekoni pads btw. I'd place it above the Radiance in terms of resolution (stage is smiliar, no treble boost (except maybe upper treble) so no fake detail). It reminds me of my U12t a little bit. Build is a bit quirky as usual with Audio Technica (weird connectors, cups have a dip that collects dust, wood prone to scratches, pads are pretty flat). Overall though, for a closed back, def. a keeper.

Last edited:
May 1, 2024 at 5:36 AM Post #6,348 of 6,351

I used to own the D9200 and quite liked it. Might get it again…
Yes sir that’s the one. It does not sound like the other focal closed backs - strongly recommended.

I’m also getting the D9200 again haha

May 2, 2024 at 4:15 AM Post #6,349 of 6,351
Very intrigued by this Japanese brand, they have a Bluetooth planar closed-back (WA-Z1PNK) with double-sided magnets which is unusual for a portable format. You can hear a lot of bass and dynamics compared to the Edifier S3 during the live comparison at 13:30, which is exactly what is missing with most portable planar designs like the Sine, M565C...

Wow, this is the only mention of these cans on all of head-fi!

I know that a while ago I very briefly auditioned them (together with the Beyerdynamic Amiron wireless, another expensive BT set that 'does not even have ANC' :D ) .. but apparently had no appreciation for them or was in a hurry ...

Recently I got the Aviot TE ZX1 (the Cowboy Bebob version, not the PNK) TWS, love them .. and now I am more intrigued to go back and listen to the WA-Z1PNK again ... I could possibly get them for something like 40K Yen (which today is only 240EUR) very gently used ... but since my main use is daily train commute, I still would miss ANC I guess ...

edit: One little bummer I just discovered .. despite being a BT headset, the WA-Z1PNK is apparently not covered by the Aviot app! Would have been nice to have a bit of EQ ...

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 11:49 AM Post #6,350 of 6,351
setup1.jpg

VC and Cayin ha-3a sounds very good together. Smooths out the treble very nicely and gives a meaty extension in the bass with good warmth to the mids (Mullard 12au7&6v6gt)

May 2, 2024 at 10:01 PM Post #6,351 of 6,351
as @Shungite Trillionaire mentioned ATH-AWAS I would like to add.

Minuses:
- Not that comfortable only after an hour the headband starts to hurt at top of head. So needs to be added some extra padding that don't mess up the sound.

I tried the David Clark Head Pad and it did make the sound thinner because i needed to adjust the headband setting much more higher up this resulting in different pressure and angle on the pads around my ear. So very sensitive for that.

I have goten used to the left side of the driver touching my ear and can easily use it for 3 hours straight without thinking about it. And it dont hurt much.

- Not that dynamic and not that deep subb bass other bass areas is good to great.

+ Nice full mids and vocals.
+ Overall great sounding with smooth forgiveing sound while still being detailed enough.
+ Overall nice timbre to my ears but maybe treble can sound a bit dry at times.
+ Not closed back congestion to my ears.
+ Fullbodied sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back