Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250ohm Impressions Thread
Jan 29, 2014 at 2:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 464

Matrixnobu

100+ Head-Fier
I just got these after listening to a pair my friend had. I've been listening to Sennheiser HD-545's for about 20 years and have come close to replacing them a couple of times with Beyerdynamic T1's, Sennheiser HD-650's, Grado sr225i, and such. But in the end I ended up going back the 545's. And Believe me I've tried for years to see if I could find that next level of audio bliss. T1's modded can do the trick I'll admit. But for the price and the time it takes to get it right and also the fact that they are not portable I gave up on them. Then the other Day just by chance at work a friend of mine brought the DT 770 Pro 250ohm's. And me being the curious person that I am I asked if I could listen to them. Luckily I had my Netbook with me that has all my music on it so I got the opportunity to listened to a couple of songs. And was very impressed.

Long story short. After thinking about it for about two seconds I went on Amazon and ordered me a pair. I paid $164 with shipping. And am listening to them now. My music sounds amazing and I'm really happy with the sound of these headphones. It just goes to show that you don't need to spend a lot for good sound.

Now after a week of break-in I have definitely heard the change in the highs as they have smoothed out a bit. So remember let your phones break-in before critical listening. So far I haven't noticed that high frequency peak that the T1's have. The T1's had me modding them as soon as I got them (after burn in of course). But there is definately more detail compared to the DT 880 600ohm which I owned for a while but felt were too muddy. I'm also noticing how good these are with all types of music. Especially with Rock and Classical. I also like that the bass is well balanced not too strong but not too weak. I would say the bass is on par with the T1's.

So I was hoping any other fans out there will share DT 770 Pro 250ohm stories here.

Feb 6, 2014 at 4:23 AM Post #2 of 464
Just an update. I did mod the DT770's by putting some really thin toilette paper between the driver and the black foam that covers it. I found that Three single ply pieces cut to the desired size work really well. Cut the pieces to the size of the driver. Its kinda what the 880's have stock on their driver but thinner.

Improvements so far are the vocals sounding more fleshed out and and natural. Also drums sound more real than before. As well as making the overall sound more organic. Give it a try it only took 5 minuets.

After modding the T1's for weeks this was a much easier mod to to accomplish and got me about 90% of the T1's for 1/9 the cost.

Feb 25, 2014 at 8:14 AM Post #3 of 464
Listening to Nick Warren "Lightning in a Bottle" and it sounds awesome on the 770's!

Feb 27, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #4 of 464
Just put on Jambi from Tool. Wow! My friends and I were just sitting here with our mouths open in awe of how well these make the guitars sound.

Mar 13, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #5 of 464
I have never owned high impedance phones.
I am wondering if the inability to drive them with my phone or ipod w/out an amp is worth it.
Does the sound really improve with the 250 ohm version, on this and all headphones in general?

Mar 13, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #6 of 464
I would recommend listening to the different one's because they do sound different. Not that one is better than the other, it mainly depends on taste. I've heard the 80ohm version is bassy. Whereas the 250ohm is just right for me. But just so you know I only play mine on my laptop or my Audio GD NFB-12. From my laptop I have plenty of power. But if your going to be using mainly an Ipod or Iphone it might be better to get a headphone with a low impedance spec. People really do like the 32 ohm 770DT.

So that might be your best bet.

Mar 13, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #7 of 464
I have ordered a little bear hybrid amp for desktop, and I am researching the Altoids portable now.
I have Phillips SHL5500 right now. they are really sensitive and low imp, but still need an amp ( for my taste)
So I will def need an amp for the less efficient ones I am looking into

Mar 13, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #8 of 464
If you are getting an amp I would go with the 250ohms version. I really like the way they sound.

Mar 13, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #10 of 464
How much would one of those altoid amps cost by the way? I've never looked into them.

Mar 13, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #11 of 464
  How much would one of those altoid amps cost by the way? I've never looked into them.

Between $30 and $85 usually bought on eBay.
Some have bass boost, some take 2 9V batts to drive hard to drive cans etc...and some even have dual op amps.
Seems the ones from other countries (UK and Australia) have the most options

edit
I am considering this one.
$(KGrHqN,!oEFEDLkUdT0BROjFc2OF!~~60_57.JPG

Mar 14, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #12 of 464
That's a nice little unit for portables

Mar 16, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #13 of 464
 I'm same as you. I've tried upgrading to hd650s, but these 770 250ohms are my audio bliss. Just a simple setup. Schiit modi > Bottlehead Crack > DT770. I thought maybe I was crazy but good to know I'm not alone. I've driven them with fiio E11, project sunrise II and a starving student with success but the crack is special with high imp cans.
Best,
Mop

Mar 17, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #14 of 464
   I'm same as you. I've tried upgrading to hd650s, but these 770 250ohms are my audio bliss. Just a simple setup. Schiit modi > Bottlehead Crack > DT770. I thought maybe I was crazy but good to know I'm not alone. I've driven them with fiio E11, project sunrise II and a starving student with success but the crack is special with high imp cans.
Best,
Mop

I didn't know those bottlehead Cracks amps were that good with high impedance headphones. I'm going to have to try and get one.

Mar 18, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #15 of 464
  Check out this thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/476650/crack-bottlehead-otl  It only works with high imp cans tho. But man, I've listened to alot of setups and the crack is by far superior. Many rolling options and there is even a speedball upgrade but I don't want to lose the dynamics when tube rolling so mine's stock. Take this FWIW of course. My ears, my opinion :wink:

Back on topic, I think my 770s have an amazing driver. I've heard of a lot of variances within the 770 line. The first pair I got was the usual suspect ie: recessed mids, bloaty bass- just like the 80 ohm. But the second pair, oh boy :) The highs were a little harsh when I got them and the bass was def there but the mids were neutral and amazing. All this has improved with burn in, prob 200 or so hrs on em now. They have the most amazing soundstage I've heard on a closed can. I don't see these ever leaving my stable 
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back