The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Oct 5, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #2,536 of 6,329
Basing this on what headphones ?!?
The original Abyss (which owned for quite some time), the Hifiman HE560 and HE1000v1, several Audeze models (LCD2 and other over-ears whose name I forgot) including their 4i in-ears

Oct 12, 2021 at 2:14 AM Post #2,538 of 6,329
What is the recommendations nowadays for under 150usd or under 200 usd closed back headphones with fairly good isolation, larger soundstage and good mids and vocal for male and female?
An unpopular opinion maybe... but I think the DT770 Pro 80 ohm is still very well positioned here, especially for the soundstage part.

Oct 12, 2021 at 4:20 AM Post #2,541 of 6,329
Is the mids and male female vocal goods? I don't like recessed mids.
If you like 'forward' mids, then skip it.
Most closed-backs around this price have strong bass that overpowers the mids.
The only mid-centric closed-backs I can think of are all discontinued.

Oct 12, 2021 at 5:47 AM Post #2,542 of 6,329
20211012_132133.jpg

Closed backs fight, though I forgot to add the ATH-WP900 just to bolster the Japanese soldiers against the USA heavy hitters. :beyersmile:

Still listening to the Stealths, but what immediately jumps out is how airy and spacious they sound for a closed back. Need some brain burn in time. :)

Oct 12, 2021 at 8:03 AM Post #2,544 of 6,329
German Maestro GMP 8.35, DT 250/250
Can't recommend what I've not heard :)
I did hear the headset variant of the GMP 8.35 and it was absolutely horrid... :/

Oct 13, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #2,546 of 6,329
Just posted this in the DCA Stealth thread. @Malevolent Did you get to try these? I'm interested in your impressions. :)

I also now noticed that I didn't include the D9200 in the comparisons/feedback.

------

I'm still in the return period for these....but, they're a keeper.

If your playlist is all metal and similar genres, these are a hard pass, especially with no EQ.

However, for everything else, the Stealth are fantastic. I've felt like I'm wearing a new pair of glasses, this is a tool that gave me the ability to listen to my music in a different way especially when compared to the other available closed backs that I have. The isolation and blackness of the background that is provided by the AMTS used inside the cups are a new experience for me, noise cancelling headsets do not even compare. It's like a well treated and dampened room, you'll hear EVERYTHING.

I noticed parts in music and recordings that were not there before, even while listening on the Abyss TCs. When compared to the Verite Closed and the Z1R, the Stealth is on the other end of the spectrum, it's not as lush, but more accurate. If you're looking for a warm & cosy experience, these are not it. If you're looking for clarity, accuracy and vocals, the Stealth will serve you well. I'm absolutely loving how wind and string instruments are represented along with the vocals. Pianos and violins are hard to convey accurately through headphones, but here they are played back with such detail that on some tracks I stop what I am doing and just listen to the music. It's such an experience.

Bass is there, but not as exaggerated as other closed backs. It definitely has more texture than the VC, Z1R and the Fostex, though. If you're looking for a bass filled fun closed back, the Stealth is not for you. If you're looking for accurate bass that is there when called for (especially that low low sub bass rumble) the Stealth will gladly provide you with what you need. Of course, this could be solved with some EQ too based on your preferences.

I've thrown many genres at them, Jazz, Metal (and all other sub genres), Movies & Games soundtracks, Classical, etc and they mainly lacked the 'bite' for Metal. The others were a fantastic experience and I noticed that time simply melts away. Where did the last 6 hours go? Oh and my playlist is hectic, one second I'm listening to “Prelude Op.28 No.4 in E minor” by Chopin and the next it's EuroBeat's Deja Vu (don't judge me). :)

In the end, it'll be a matter of preferences as always. Only listen to metal and fast guitars and don't want to EQ; you might be disappointed. For other genres, the Stealth does something new in the field of closed backs and it took me a while to pin point exactly why. And once I understood its strengths and weaknesses, my enjoyment went up. Of course if you do not need a closed back, you'll probably find many other headphones that will provide you with a fantastic experience too.

Oh, the Z1R, Verite Closed and the Fostex are here to stay as each one does something different and special that only it as a tool could provide. The Stealth is the more detailed and accurate of the bunch.

Try before you buy, temper your expectations, try out other genres and you might be pleasantly surprised. :)

20211012_131432.jpg

Oct 14, 2021 at 3:40 AM Post #2,547 of 6,329
Just posted this in the DCA Stealth thread. @Malevolent Did you get to try these? I'm interested in your impressions. :)

------

If your playlist is all metal and similar genres, these are a hard pass, especially with no EQ.

However, for everything else, the Stealth are fantastic. I've felt like I'm wearing a new pair of glasses, this is a tool that gave me the ability to listen to my music in a different way especially when compared to the other available closed backs that I have. The isolation and blackness of the background that is provided by the AMTS used inside the cups are a new experience for me, noise cancelling headsets do not even compare. It's like a well treated and dampened room, you'll hear EVERYTHING.

I noticed parts in music and recordings that were not there before, even while listening on the Abyss TCs. When compared to the Verite Closed and the Z1R, the Stealth is on the other end of the spectrum, it's not as lush, but more accurate. If you're looking for a warm & cosy experience, these are not it. If you're looking for clarity, accuracy and vocals, the Stealth will serve you well. I'm absolutely loving how wind and string instruments are represented along with the vocals. Pianos and violins are hard to convey accurately through headphones, but here they are played back with such detail that on some tracks I stop what I am doing and just listen to the music. It's such an experience.

Bass is there, but not as exaggerated as other closed backs. It definitely has more texture than the VC, Z1R and the Fostex, though. If you're looking for a bass filled fun closed back, the Stealth is not for you. If you're looking for accurate bass that is there when called for (especially that low low sub bass rumble) the Stealth will gladly provide you with what you need. Of course, this could be solved with some EQ too based on your preferences.

I've thrown many genres at them, Jazz, Metal (and all other sub genres), Movies & Games soundtracks, Classical, etc and they mainly lacked the 'bite' for Metal. The others were a fantastic experience and I noticed that time simply melts away. Where did the last 6 hours go? Oh and my playlist is hectic, one second I'm listening to “Prelude Op.28 No.4 in E minor” by Chopin and the next it's EuroBeat's Deja Vu (don't judge me). :)

In the end, it'll be a matter of preferences as always. Only listen to metal and fast guitars and don't want to EQ; you might be disappointed. For other genres, the Stealth does something new in the field of closed backs and it took me a while to pin point exactly why. And once I understood its strengths and weaknesses, my enjoyment went up. Of course if you do not need a closed back, you'll probably find many other headphones that will provide you with a fantastic experience too.

Oh, the Z1R, Verite Closed and the Fostex are here to stay as each one does something different and special that only it as a tool could provide. The Stealth is the more detailed and accurate of the bunch.

Try before you buy, temper your expectations, try out other genres and you might be pleasantly surprised. :)

Thanks for your impressions. Do you know how the Stealth compares to the Stellia?

Oct 14, 2021 at 5:14 AM Post #2,548 of 6,329
Thanks for your impressions. Do you know how the Stealth compares to the Stellia?

Most welcome! Unfortunately, I haven't listened to a Stellia. I also want to get hold of a Rognir, but it always appears out of stock. :)

Oct 16, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #2,550 of 6,329

------

20211012_131432.jpg
Sadly, the Stealth has yet to hit our shores; pre-orders are open, so they might arrive sooner, rather than later.

I have been patiently waiting for my turn with these beasts, so I'll definitely be amongst the first in line once they (finally) show up! :)

Anyway, enjoy your Stealth!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back