The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Sep 25, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #2,521 of 6,351
I found using 2 Dekoni nuggets on either side where the headband splits to be helpful. I then added a zip on headband pad to really up the comfort level of my AWAS. I tried the AWKT pads but found they weren't as comfortable as the synthetic pads of the AWAS.

The cable is kind of crazy so I up upgraded to an Audio Sensibility Impact SE cable.
Omg I forgot about the cable lol yes

Sep 26, 2021 at 5:24 AM Post #2,522 of 6,351
Shure Aonic 50?
Haven't tried that also, from ones I can remember like Momentum, WH-M3&4, PXC550, QC35, etc they all haven't satisfied me. Haven't tried B&W or B&O as they are less likely to show up on Jaben.

Sep 26, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #2,523 of 6,351
I didn't like the headband either, also my hair would get pulled all the time...
Thankfully, I didn't experience any major hair-related mishaps during my various auditions with the ATH-AWKT and the the ATH-AWAS. With that being said, I'm more accustomed to the familiar one-piece headband that's used by the other manufacturers. This split assembly isn't the most comfortable nor aesthetically-pleasing solution.

Sep 26, 2021 at 7:54 PM Post #2,524 of 6,351
Thankfully, I didn't experience any major hair-related mishaps during my various auditions with the ATH-AWKT and the the ATH-AWAS. With that being said, I'm more accustomed to the familiar one-piece headband that's used by the other manufacturers. This split assembly isn't the most comfortable nor aesthetically-pleasing solution.
It's a heck of a lot better than the 3D wing system of the previous Audio Technica woodies. Those never felt like they fit quite right for me. I just wish they had put a bit more padding on the split part of the new headbands.

Sep 28, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #2,525 of 6,351
It's a heck of a lot better than the 3D wing system of the previous Audio Technica woodies. Those never felt like they fit quite right for me. I just wish they had put a bit more padding on the split part of the new headbands.
Audio-Technica does what others don't - a wacky headband system.

Truth be told, the normal style that's used on some of their newer headphones, such as the ATH-WP900 and the ATH-AP2000TI, is actually fairly decent. For example, I can use the ATH-WP900 for hours on end with nary an issue. Granted, it's not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison, but a case can be made here - if Audio-Technica equipped their recent flagships with the standard, run-of-the-mill headband, would it increase the comfort levels? I'd wager a "yes".

Sep 30, 2021 at 4:30 AM Post #2,526 of 6,351
I've heard some positive reviews about the revised 2021 LCD-XC. Has anyone heard these? I'm wondering how they'd compare to my Z1R's.

I love my Sonys but at times feel like the bass is just a bit too boomy and can bleed into the mids, and sometimes the treble peak results in some weirdness.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2021 at 6:25 AM Post #2,527 of 6,351
I love my Sonys but at times feel like the bass is just a bit too boomy and can bleed into the mids, and sometimes the treble peak results in some weirdness.
In that case, and if you like dynamic driver sound, I'd take a look at the D9200. :)
If you've never considered to do, of course.

Sep 30, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #2,528 of 6,351
In that case, and if you like dynamic driver sound, I'd take a look at the D9200. :)
If you've never considered to do, of course.
It seems @Malevolent also prefers the 9200 over the Z1R even tho the Z1R won in several categories.

Does the 9200 still dig down low and provide a satisfying impact level?

Sep 30, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #2,529 of 6,351
Can't compared it to the Z1R seriously.

I'd say yes, all the way, thou.
But that highly depends on you satisfactory impact level needed. ^^

It's worth a listen nonetheless. :thumbsup:

Oct 3, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #2,530 of 6,351
I've heard some positive reviews about the revised 2021 LCD-XC. Has anyone heard these? I'm wondering how they'd compare to my Z1R's.

I have the 2019 revision of the LCD-XC, the last version that used the wood cups. The bass on the Audeze has good articulation and definition, with good separation, to boot. However, it lacks the sheer impact and texture of the MDR-Z1R, and even the AH-D9200.

I have yet to hear the new LCD-XC - it has yet to hit our shores - but I'm doubtful that it'll surpass the older versions in crafting an engaging and potent bass presentation.

Oct 3, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #2,531 of 6,351
I have the 2019 revision of the LCD-XC, the last version that used the wood cups. The bass on the Audeze has good articulation and definition, with good separation, to boot. However, it lacks the sheer impact and texture of the MDR-Z1R, and even the AH-D9200.

I have yet to hear the new LCD-XC - it has yet to hit our shores - but I'm doubtful that it'll surpass the older versions in crafting an engaging and potent bass presentation.
Completely agree with @Malevolent ’s comments on the LCD-XCs bass, and would only add that its extension is also exceptional- it reaches into Stygian/earthquake territory more than I’ve heard from dynamic headphones.

It’s near-impossible to beat high-quality planar bass. And yes, agreed that it’s unlikely had any bass improvement from a minor revision.

Oct 4, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #2,532 of 6,351
Completely agree with @Malevolent ’s comments on the LCD-XCs bass, and would only add that its extension is also exceptional- it reaches into Stygian/earthquake territory more than I’ve heard from dynamic headphones.

It’s near-impossible to beat high-quality planar bass. And yes, agreed that it’s unlikely had any bass improvement from a minor revision.
Oh yeah, you're right - the extension on the LCD-XC is impressive, indeed. On the topic of bass, both planar and dynamic drivers have their unique strengths. However, I am very much a fan of Camp Dynamic; as a whole, the impact, texture and presentation are perfect for my tastes. :)

Oct 4, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #2,533 of 6,351
Oh yeah, you're right - the extension on the LCD-XC is impressive, indeed. On the topic of bass, both planar and dynamic drivers have their unique strengths. However, I am very much a fan of Camp Dynamic; as a whole, the impact, texture and presentation are perfect for my tastes. :)
Agreed- and hence I am an unabashed Stellia fan. Boy it would be cool if dynamic cans could achieve the planar bass though… 😁

Oct 5, 2021 at 4:54 AM Post #2,534 of 6,351
Agreed- and hence I am an unabashed Stellia fan. Boy it would be cool if dynamic cans could achieve the planar bass though… 😁
Interesting… planar bass does absolutely nothing for me. To me it’s bland, unengaging, technical.

The Focal models are also not to my liking as well, so just being a dynamic headphone is not sufficient for me :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back