The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Oct 16, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #2,551 of 6,351
Has anyone tried the new Beyerdynamic T 700 PRO X yet? It's Beyerdynamic's latest take on the classic DT 770 PRO sound.

It's an exciting release, that's for sure. The sub-$200 realm of closed-back headphones is lacking in good choices, IMO.

beyerdynamic-dt-700-pro-x-perspective.jpeg

Oct 17, 2021 at 7:43 AM Post #2,552 of 6,351
Has anyone tried the new Beyerdynamic T 700 PRO X yet? It's Beyerdynamic's latest take on the classic DT 770 PRO sound.

It's an exciting release, that's for sure. The sub-$200 realm of closed-back headphones is lacking in good choices, IMO.

beyerdynamic-dt-700-pro-x-perspective.jpeg
Yes, I received mine last week, Tuesday I think... Very nice headphone, especially at that price. The tuning is less V-shaped than the DT-770/80, but bass reaches deeper. Comfort is very good, despite the rather high clamping force: the pads are really soft and a joy to wear. Love the design, but I miss those old headbands with the easy to change padding (and its no-nonsense look :wink:

68E79AF1-F7D8-4348-8F6C-D282FB565283.jpegF01C1F87-28C7-4A02-80D5-59228D4B0FA6.jpegB013333F-B01A-4217-9E99-1CCFA23F0A6A.jpeg01D5B0EC-A52E-4C69-9698-450DA2B0A5AA.jpeg

Oct 18, 2021 at 2:38 AM Post #2,553 of 6,351
What is the recommendations nowadays for under 150usd or under 200 usd closed back headphones with fairly good isolation, larger soundstage and good mids and vocal for male and female?

The Beyerdynamic DT 150--especially with DT 100 velour pads--checks all your boxes, and are criminally underrated to my mind.

Immense soundstage, wonderful mids, sublime tone. Superb isolation, and built like a tank to boot.

I had them alongside the DT 1770 Pro and T5p G2, and personally thought they were the more technically competent and sonically pleasing set. I've also had the DT 770 in both 80 ohm and 250 ohm flavours, and find the DT 150 much better balanced: much more forward mids, smoother treble, and much cleaner bass (both the DT 770's I had began to distort quite quickly at higher volumes).

I also recently did a little mid-fi open-back shootout with the AKG K7XX, Audio-Technica R70x, Beyerdynamic DT 990 600 ohm, Hifiman HE4XX, Sennheiser HD 560S, and Sennheiser HD 6XX. I found the DT 150 to compare very favourably with the HD 6XX and DT 990 and outperforming the rest.

Easily my favourite closed-back alongside the E-MU Teak. Would also take them over the Fostex TH-X00 and Shure SRH1540.

With DT 100 pads, courtesy of diyaudioheaven:

fr-dt150-with-dt100-velours-pads.png

IMG_5865.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2021 at 8:32 AM Post #2,554 of 6,351
I am looking to get a partner for my favorite cans the Denon D7200. I am considering the Fostex TH900mk2, the ZMF Eikon, the DC Aeon 2 noire.
They need to be closed back.

Anybody can compare these or recommend something better? I dont like flat sound... I am into nice soft / deep bass, clear mids and highs.
Dont mind if they are slightly darker sounding. Also attracted to wooden cups. Cheers

Oct 20, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #2,555 of 6,351
Yes, I received mine last week, Tuesday I think... Very nice headphone, especially at that price. The tuning is less V-shaped than the DT-770/80, but bass reaches deeper. Comfort is very good, despite the rather high clamping force: the pads are really soft and a joy to wear. Love the design, but I miss those old headbands with the easy to change padding (and its no-nonsense look :wink:

68E79AF1-F7D8-4348-8F6C-D282FB565283.jpegF01C1F87-28C7-4A02-80D5-59228D4B0FA6.jpegB013333F-B01A-4217-9E99-1CCFA23F0A6A.jpeg01D5B0EC-A52E-4C69-9698-450DA2B0A5AA.jpeg
Thanks for the impressions; I think I might just get one myself. I've always been a casual fan of the DT 770 PRO, despite never having owned one in my life. This revision might just be my ticket back on board the Beyerdynamic train. :)

This might be a (slightly) hot take, but I was never a fan of the original design language of the DT 770 / 880 / 990 - I found them appearing a little too utilitarian. The DT 700 PRO X, on the other hand, keeps the understated form, but also adds a touch of modernity that results in a design oozing with class.

Oct 20, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #2,556 of 6,351

Very nice account, indeed. I also just ordered a pair and look forward to trying them. I agree with @Malevolent above on the design - updated design but done in a sympathetic way. The pads also look phenomenal, I must say.

Oct 20, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #2,557 of 6,351
I am looking to get a partner for my favorite cans the Denon D7200. I am considering the Fostex TH900mk2, the ZMF Eikon, the DC Aeon 2 noire.
They need to be closed back.

Anybody can compare these or recommend something better? I dont like flat sound... I am into nice soft / deep bass, clear mids and highs.
Dont mind if they are slightly darker sounding. Also attracted to wooden cups. Cheers
The TH900 Mk2 is an energetic headphone with pronounced bass and treble regions; it is "v-shaped" with distinct emphasis on a quality low-end region, especially in its sub-bass. Thanks to its well-defined highs, it can also be somewhat peaky and bright; thus, it won't fit your need for a darker, smoother sound.

The Eikon doesn't have the bass impact of the Fostex, but it has a sculpted bass presentation that provides sufficient impact, without being overbearing. Ultimately, I'd classify it as the most neutral of the closed-back headphones in ZMF's catalog, with a judicious slant towards the higher registers.

I haven't heard the AEON 2 Noire, but I have the AEON 2 Closed. The latter has decent bass - it has sufficient impact, with excellent sub-bass extension, and layering. It is also the "darkest" of the 3 headphones in this comparison, with a slightly attenuated treble vis-à-vis the Eikon and the TH900 Mk2. Make no mistake, though, the highs have good definition, but it isn't strident, prominent, or harsh.

If you want a dynamic driver counterpart to the AEON 2 Closed, but with a heavier mid-bass punch, try the ZMF Atticus. They come with wood cups, too. :wink:

Oct 20, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #2,558 of 6,351
The TH900 Mk2 is an energetic headphone with pronounced bass and treble regions; it is "v-shaped" with distinct emphasis on a quality low-end region, especially in its sub-bass. Thanks to its well-defined highs, it can also be somewhat peaky and bright; thus, it won't fit your need for a darker, smoother sound.

The Eikon doesn't have the bass impact of the Fostex, but it has a sculpted bass presentation that provides sufficient impact, without being overbearing. Ultimately, I'd classify it as the most neutral of the closed-back headphones in ZMF's catalog, with a judicious slant towards the higher registers.

I haven't heard the AEON 2 Noire, but I have the AEON 2 Closed. The latter has decent bass - it has sufficient impact, with excellent sub-bass extension, and layering. It is also the "darkest" of the 3 headphones in this comparison, with a slightly attenuated treble vis-à-vis the Eikon and the TH900 Mk2. Make no mistake, though, the highs have good definition, but it isn't strident, prominent, or harsh.

If you want a dynamic driver counterpart to the AEON 2 Closed, but with a heavier mid-bass punch, try the ZMF Atticus. They come with wood cups, too. :wink:

Thank you my friend!

It is very interesting information indeed. To be honest I am all into this Japanese quality and was leaning towards the Fostex TH900 mk2 more. But after considering all this info I think my second pair could be something in contrast with Denon D7200. One thing I know for sure is that I am getting the D9200 as well as everybody just keep praising them. I believe they will be my end game. I have EQ D7200 so they sound more brighter and closer to D9200 and cant wait to compare these.

But back to the topic, the TH900mk2 although look great, I think I would not enjoy headphones without quality and detailed mids. They are important to me. Plus I certainly not enjoying sharp highs. The ZMF Eikon is looking very attractive but I am doubt they will be anywhere close to the D9200. The Atticus I have not seen many positive reviews about them, they are lacking in some areas.

On the other side I am thinking more about the Aeon 2 Noire as they are looking stunning, they isolate well and looking very comfortable. Plus I have many headphones but no planar ones, it could be ideal contrast to the Denon I am looking for. Another good thing about them is the price.

Are there any other closed quality cans in the range up to 1500$ that should be considered? Anything good in terms of sound quality from JVC or Audio-Technica?
I listen to everything EDM, jazz, soundtracks but also watching movies and gaming little bit, the Denons suits me well here.

Oct 20, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #2,559 of 6,351
I have the Aeon 2 Noire and Ether C on loan now. I had the D7200 to and it had a vs against the Kennerton Magni that I got at the same time and lost that due to being to soft and polite. To similar to keep both but in the end it was a no brainer what to go for.

But I did like it quite a bit just the Magni that blow me away with it´s dynamics and drive when called for. Just engaged me so much more into the music as it can really explode in the fortissimo parts and still make good of the pianissimo parts. Not talking about bass but everything that is supposed to let loose let loose on the Magni more then other headphones I tried.

Aeon 2 Noire share a similar frequency response but it also falls victim to the Magnis dynamic capabilities though it certainly does have drive and a thump even. Ether C I am able to get closer still in dynamics. Sound quality I would say they are better then the Magni though even without filters particularly the noire feel almost overdamped. But maybe it´s just the pure studiosound I am hearing. But tbh at this level pure sound quality is the least of my concerns for enjoying music. I am using an old budget receiver from the speaker tabs for my magneplanars just because they sound better and more open despite not a pitch black noise floor and I bet more distortion my ears don´t detect anyway.

I don´t really understand though. Some of my headphone amplifiers output 5w which should be enough. And they still sound great and high volume on lesser powered amplifiers but this like the LCD-2 just openes up so much more when giving 50W??? Of course volume level on the receiver is close to mute. SPL metre don´t suggest I am fooling my ears by listening to higher levels either but magneplanars often feel like they want to compress when you try to increase volume to much. Particularly the Hifiman Ananda was a dynamic disaster.

Noire and Ether C can still rock. Suggested their V-planars don´t suffer as much from this and I can buy that plus being helped by the closed back too. Actually like the Ether C so much I am planning spending twice that I have ever done on a headphone. I really need this isolation though that is key otherwise I would just be a happy camper with the Magni. I can hardly ever use my HD 800S due to lack of isolation. I have not made that comparison yet but the detail retrieval with the Ether C must be really freaking close.

Getting the point across with the music, movies, games etc is more important then pure sound quality though.

As for JVC there is of course the DX 1000. Not the most capable headphone technically but great soundstage, easy listen, good bass but you have that already. May not feel like an upgrade to the D7200 besides the soundstage department.

If anyone find a headphone more dynamic then the Kennerton Magni please shout. Not in term of bass TH-X00 blows more sub bass then I ever heard in a headphone but boy did it fail to integrate the bass. I am certainly looking at the harman target a lot now it makes a lot of sense for my ears :)

Oct 21, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #2,561 of 6,351
I had them for about 3 months. I burned them in for 100 hours and tried 3 different sets of pads - Universal Lambskin, Auteurs, and BE2s. They never impressed me. My $350 Sundaras were heads and shoulders better to my ears. $2500 and 12 weeks of waiting. So far my most disappointing audio purchase.

Oct 21, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #2,562 of 6,351
I had them for about 3 months. I burned them in for 100 hours and tried 3 different sets of pads - Universal Lambskin, Auteurs, and BE2s. They never impressed me. My $350 Sundaras were heads and shoulders better to my ears. $2500 and 12 weeks of waiting. So far my most disappointing audio purchase.
How does it compare to the se-monitor5?

Oct 21, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #2,563 of 6,351
Wow, that would be super disappointing! At least their resale value is ridiculously high. ZMF is too rich for my blood.

I am thinking very hard about LSA HP-2's at about one third of that price. They will still be my most expensive headphone ever. :grin:

I love mid-fi.

Oct 21, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #2,564 of 6,351
Thanks for the impressions; I think I might just get one myself. I've always been a casual fan of the DT 770 PRO, despite never having owned one in my life. This revision might just be my ticket back on board the Beyerdynamic train. :)

This might be a (slightly) hot take, but I was never a fan of the original design language of the DT 770 / 880 / 990 - I found them appearing a little too utilitarian. The DT 700 PRO X, on the other hand, keeps the understated form, but also adds a touch of modernity that results in a design oozing with class.
While I always liked the original DT770 design, the new DT 700 does look much more sophisticated. I like it even better than the DT1770.
And yes, the more I listen to them, the more I like them. They are lively without stressing me, clear without that details-in-your-face attitude, presenting bass, mids and treble well balanced, emphasizing some parts each. Well done.
Very nice account, indeed. I also just ordered a pair and look forward to trying them. I agree with @Malevolent above on the design - updated design but done in a sympathetic way. The pads also look phenomenal, I must say.
I'm looking forward to your opinion on them. And yes, the pads are at least as comfortable as they look in the pictures. Picking them up I have to make sure that I grab the cups also, the pads are so soft that I'm having a hard time lifting them up holding them just on the pads. Hard to describe...

Overall they are much more comfortable than I expected, clamping force seems a bit strong on first contact. Yet the pads and the headband work really well. I had to extend them 3 points farther than the DT-770 btw.

Oct 21, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #2,565 of 6,351
I just got the ZMF VCs and they are really not impressing me. Is there a specific pair of pads I need to put on it? Or do they need to be burned in for a long time?
Our headphones definitely need burn in and a chain that suits your preferences best. Being high impedance the sound can change a lot based on the amp, along with different pads it can definitely be a little confusing. If you want to send us an email we're always happy to help even if you didn't buy directly from us. We also have a pads chart that can be useful if trying to figure out where to go with pads: https://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmfpads

Hey I'm so sorry you had a bad experience! Our headphones are definitely finicky because of some of the reasons stated above. Usually when I see a post saying that their $100 headphones sounded better than any of ours it's usually because the same amp was used for two drastically opposing headphone designs. In the case of the sundara, a lower impedance planar, it takes exactly the opposite type of power a ZMF would. So a low impedance out amp with a low of current between 10-75 ohms. Our headphones will open up a lot with amps that have more mW at 300 ohms, and a slightly higher impedance. A lot of this comes down to subjectivity, but comparing our headphones on the same system as a sundara will often lead to one performing FAR better than the other, in either direction.

Ofcourse they also could just not be for you, the VC is a headphone with the ZMF flavour for sure. Thank you for trying them!

Last edited:
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back