The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Oct 22, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #2,581 of 6,351
I only listen to EDM through headphones so there are quite a few very popular and highly regarded headphones that I didn't like because they just weren't right for EDM. For instance, sound stage isn't very important to me. They were very "thin" sounding to me and harsh. I think most head-fi members have a broader range of music genres than I do so take my opinion with a bottle of salt :) .
I am a huge EDM-head, too. Thus, unlike the general audiophile, certain aspects - that point to the quality of a headphone - such as soundstage depth and width, are not very key to my enjoyment of this umbrella genre. I've gone through so many headphones and IEMs in my life, and I've come full circle. In the end, I've come to realize that my greatest enjoyment comes from using headphones (or IEMs) that best fit the characteristics of EDM, IMO - strong but well-defined bass, and an energetic and sparkly treble section that helps convey a high level of energy, engagement, and musicality. :)

Oct 22, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #2,582 of 6,351
Just got the DT700 Pro. First impressions: nice! The re-styling is very nice, indeed. Build is solid and robust. Pads are a total pleasure. Seal is spot on, even with thick glasses the seal is very good. Cable is...meh. No issues with sound, but texture is a bit cheap/rubbery. I'll likely replace with Forza cable.

First impressions of sound: they've retained the core FR of the DT770/1770 but without the slightly accented top end. Everything still feels airy and crisp but without it being strident. I'm very glad Beyer didn't go in the consumer direction of the 3rd gen T5/T1 by making it overly warm.

Bass is punchy, controlled. More texture/depth/detail than 770 with better control than 1770, which I always felt was too boomy. Bass reaches low, sub-bass is articulate with no distortion. Drivers feel coherent and capable of handling extreme loads (i.e., Hans Zimmer etc).

Mids are good! Guitars sound well defined with good definition. Vocals have a good body to them.

In terms of soundstage/space/width, not the widest sounding headphones but everything sounds coherent. Layering and separation is impressive given the price. Excellent value for money, indeed.

If I could find a case for these, I think they'd be excellent portable cans. Well played, Beyer. :ok_hand:

P1090949.JPGP1090950.JPG
I just noticed the little Beyer logos on the screw connectors (?) that hold the cups. That's a nice yet subtle touch that adds a further level of refinement to its design.

I can't wait to get mine, too. Enjoy the headphone, buddy! :)

Oct 22, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #2,583 of 6,351
I just noticed the little Beyer logos on the screw connectors (?) that hold the cups. That's a nice yet subtle touch that adds a further level of refinement to its design.

I can't wait to get mine, too. Enjoy the headphone, buddy! :)
I just checked… you’re right, they actually put the new Beyer logo there… nice touch:wink:

If only the cups were oval and they would fold… one can wish. But it’s a really nice surprise overall.

Oct 22, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #2,584 of 6,351
I'm sorry to hear that you weren't happy with the Vérité Closed. It's a big chunk of change to lose, but I'm hoping that you could either recoup some of the funds through a sale, or that you grow to love the headphones. :)

Out of curiosity, what is it about them that you dislike?
I am not an analytical listener. In other words, I don't dissect lows, mids and highs. I am always looking for engagement with the music which is a pretty nebulous and an individual preference. When I hear music from a headphone that engages me, I automatically break out into "couch dancing" :L3000:. I can't always quantify or describe why a headphone grabs me which is why I don't post much on this forum. There are many members here (I'm looking at you @Malevolent) who can put into words what the sound experience is like with different headphones and I so appreciate that ability.

If I were pressed to try to express my preferences, I would say I love subbass, forward mids and sparkly treble. But most important to me is imaging - the way the sound plays around inside my head. I like to feel like I'm in the center of the music. I love depth, width and height equally, but I need all three to play well with each other.

Having said all that, the VCs were missing something major for me. The sound, even on the Pendant/Soekris combo, still felt a little tame - missing some excitement?? It's so hard to put into words. All I know is that I would start with them for my nightly 3 hour listening sessions and, after about 45 minutes I would lose interest. I would then reach for the Sundaras and, within minutes, I would be "couch dancing". This would happen every single time I listened to the VCs. This went on for about 2 months because I didn't want to give up on these headphones that I had spent so much money on and waited so long to receive. Finally I just had to be honest with myself and sold them.

I totally love the iFi system and feel it is end-game for me. My goal now is to find headphones that sound amazing on that system and not the other way around. If anyone is into EDM, I recommend that system. There are so many ways that you can make adjustments to get the sound you want. I also swear by the Lokius which adds another level of tweaking.

Sorry for the longest post I have ever written on Head-fi.

Oct 22, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #2,585 of 6,351
I am not an analytical listener. In other words, I don't dissect lows, mids and highs. I am always looking for engagement with the music which is a pretty nebulous and an individual preference. When I hear music from a headphone that engages me, I automatically break out into "couch dancing" :L3000:. I can't always quantify or describe why a headphone grabs me which is why I don't post much on this forum. There are many members here (I'm looking at you @Malevolent) who can put into words what the sound experience is like with different headphones and I so appreciate that ability.

If I were pressed to try to express my preferences, I would say I love subbass, forward mids and sparkly treble. But most important to me is imaging - the way the sound plays around inside my head. I like to feel like I'm in the center of the music. I love depth, width and height equally, but I need all three to play well with each other.

Having said all that, the VCs were missing something major for me. The sound, even on the Pendant/Soekris combo, still felt a little tame - missing some excitement?? It's so hard to put into words. All I know is that I would start with them for my nightly 3 hour listening sessions and, after about 45 minutes I would lose interest. I would then reach for the Sundaras and, within minutes, I would be "couch dancing". This would happen every single time I listened to the VCs. This went on for about 2 months because I didn't want to give up on these headphones that I had spent so much money on and waited so long to receive. Finally I just had to be honest with myself and sold them.

I totally love the iFi system and feel it is end-game for me. My goal now is to find headphones that sound amazing on that system and not the other way around. If anyone is into EDM, I recommend that system. There are so many ways that you can make adjustments to get the sound you want. I also swear by the Lokius which adds another level of tweaking.

I dont think there is anything wrong with this case. We all have different taste and different hearing preferences. We all feel the music in different way. This is just an example that the high price range might not be the solution for the ultimate sound. I have these cheap Denon HP800 (£75) and I simply cannot get enough of them. They tick all boxes in terms of sound quality for me and even after years they don't stop impressing me.

Its hard to buy a headphones without actually trying them. And its hard to try them without actually getting them :)

Another interesting thing is that all headphones really sound amazing (at least to me). The problem only starts when you hear something better.
When you A/B compare them.

I assume the key is to enjoy the headphones we all have on our heads now and get the most of them.
Tweak them, mod them, EQ them, love them :)

Happy Listening

Oct 22, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #2,586 of 6,351
I dont think there is anything wrong with this case. We all have different taste and different hearing preferences. We all feel the music in different way. This is just an example that the high price range might not be the solution for the ultimate sound. I have these cheap Denon HP800 (£75) and I simply cannot get enough of them. They tick all boxes in terms of sound quality for me and even after years they don't stop impressing me.

Its hard to buy a headphones without actually trying them. And its hard to try them without actually getting them :)

Another interesting thing is that all headphones really sound amazing (at least to me). The problem only starts when you hear something better.
When you A/B compare them.

I assume the key is to enjoy the headphones we all have on our heads now and get the most of them.
Tweak them, mod them, EQ them, love them :)

Happy Listening
No charts, graphs, diffusion plots will ever convey the joy from actually listening 🎼🎶😄!

Oct 22, 2021 at 7:08 PM Post #2,587 of 6,351

Maybe they're just not for you and that's ok, but I know disappointing. Always tough with a blind buy. I know of another who shares a love of several other headphones I have, but he just didn't hear the VC the same as I do. It sounds from "I would say I love subbass, forward mids and sparkly treble" that the Eikon might be a better match for you. I do have much cheaper headphones like the HD 700 and Stax L300 I got used that I still find in the same league as my pricey ones. Sometimes there are just those gems for some people, which are much more affordable. The HD58X still shocks me when I use it occasionally given the $150 price or whatever they are now.

Oct 22, 2021 at 8:59 PM Post #2,588 of 6,351

No apologies 😁 That was a great expression of your passion for this hobby.

Also, seriously THREE hours a night ?! 😜

Oct 22, 2021 at 9:28 PM Post #2,589 of 6,351
No apologies 😁 That was a great expression of your passion for this hobby.

Also, seriously THREE hours a night ?! 😜
LOL!! I have earned it. I am retired and my wife goes to bed really early so I get to spend some serious time with my guilty pleasure - EDM without disturbing her. It's a win-win for both of us.

Oct 22, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #2,590 of 6,351

As your gear is really working, you will do more tweaking twerking…😜🤪

Oct 22, 2021 at 9:34 PM Post #2,591 of 6,351
LOL!! I have earned it. I am retired and my wife goes to bed really early so I get to spend some serious time with my guilty pleasure - EDM without disturbing her. It's a win-win for both of us.
Q: If you have “earned it”, how can the EDM pleasure be “guilty”?…🤔

Oct 23, 2021 at 3:32 AM Post #2,592 of 6,351
Thanks @Malevolent for starting this thread. I've not seen this it until just now. My listening circumstances are such that I am best off just having closed backs.

My listening @home: Verite Closed, @work - Eikons. At some point, I'd like a closed back planar at some point and it sounds like the Rognir may be a good fit. Thanks @Nostoi for the recent comments on the Rognir compared to the VC. If anyone else thinks there is a good closed-back planar contender, I'd love to hear.

Slightly off-topic, but another nice thing on this thread is the many electronic music fans :). 90+% of my listening is electronic music. There is a lot of poorly produced electronic music, but there is also some very well produced electronic music, which from a production point of view is novel and interesting IMO. You can really use the whole sound spectrum and you're not limited to what natural instruments produce. So - on that note, here is a quick electronic music sampler of the moment... (don't listen to the crap-quality bandcamp links, try on Tidal or however you get high quality music!)

Tipper - Jettison Mind Hatch is a 2019 favourite album, but he just released a new short allbum called Insolito. Start with this one:

Keerd:

BOP

Mr Bill

Cheers

Oct 23, 2021 at 4:14 AM Post #2,593 of 6,351
BOP

Cheers

I looove this sort of stuff on headphones. A lot of electronic music like this has a very sort of precise and clean feel to it that you rarely get with traditional music that I find extremely pleasurable to listen to on a good pair of cans. The notes and individual sounds are very distinct and the music sort of inhabits this very dense and elaborate feeling space, you know? Where it's easy to pinpoint sounds and kind of see them in a 3D sphere. Whereas there's usually a lot of blending going on when you've got a bunch of real life instruments and vocals and so on.

Thanks for the link. As much as I enjoy this sort of stuff, there's really not a lot of it on my playlists, so I'm always happy to find something new like it. Doesn't help that I have absolutely no idea what you'd call this kind of music lol.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2021 at 7:06 AM Post #2,594 of 6,351
@plakat and @Nostoi thank you very much for your Beyer DT 700 Pro impressions. Maybe I will purchase them for Christmas to be a closed complement for my Dt 1990 Pro. I want to ask you about the isolation of the new 700 Pro X. For example, plakat can compare with your 9200s (a good reference for me) or other closed cans you have and Nostoi with the Fostex TH 900 (not good in that regard) you had or your Rögnir...

Listening to "Anathema - Hindsight" while writing, with the 1990s :L3000:

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #2,595 of 6,351
No charts, graphs, diffusion plots will ever convey the joy from actually listening 🎼🎶😄!

For most people that know how to use them, they can certainly sometimes indicate the lack of joy one will have from listening to a pair of headphones that has a very bad sound signature for the listener.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back