The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Nov 25, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #2,716 of 6,329
When my house is paid off, I will go gonzo on audio. My wife and I have no desire to travel, so it should be easy.
Well, I just hope that when that time comes, flagship headphones aren't priced too insanely. It's slowly creeping upward, and whilst there are some companies that resist the urge to go crazy with their pricing schemes, the common flagship-entry price is already hovering at or above the $4,000 figure.

Nov 25, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #2,717 of 6,329
Would you say it has some of the Focal dynamics, then? Seems like speed (for a dynamic headphone, that is) and excitement are hallmarks of Focal…
You're right, mate, the LIRIC indeed shares a similar DNA to the Focal stable - at least in terms of dynamics. The Focal headphones have never been anything less than involving, even at the Utopia level, which is, admittedly, one of the best headphones on the market.

At present, I'm greatly enjoying the Elegia (with the Celestee pads), so I'll be sure to pit the 2 together.

Nov 25, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #2,718 of 6,329
How do you think of it compared to the Noire?

Have been going back and forth between the T5 (baffles out) and Noire, the former more exciting and soundstage suiting electronic, while the latter way more comfortable and nicer/more natural details suited to a variety of non-electronic genres....but just leaves me wanting a bit of a wider stage still and bit more impact.

Can't say I am willing to spend another 1k just to get those...but seems interesting to compare the Noire with the Liric.

My perfect choice would be the easy-to drive, wide soundstage, impact and imaging of the T5, with the comfort and detail (and design...) of the Noire.
I have only heard the Noire once, in comparison to the AEON 2 Closed. The Noire is, fundamentally, an AEON 2 Closed with a slightly leaner tone. This allows the headphone to appear a little more resolving, and less heavy in the lows. Within the Dan Clark Audio stable, the AEON 2 cans (Closed and Noire) remain my favorite - they may not outdo the Stealth, the VOCE, and the Ether in terms of pure resolving capabilities, but they are distinctly more musical in practice.

Anyway, once I start listening to the LIRIC in earnest, I'll be sure to compare it to my own AEON 2 Closed. I'll let you know how I feel about these 2 headphones then. :)

Nov 27, 2021 at 5:09 AM Post #2,719 of 6,329
So i've been comparing the Liric to the Z1R since yesterday and i can't understand why the Liric requires more power, since the Z1R are 64 ohms and 100 db/mw and the Liric are 30 ohms and 100db/mw. Does anyone have any insight on this?

Nov 27, 2021 at 5:24 AM Post #2,720 of 6,329
So i've been comparing the Liric to the Z1R since yesterday and i can't understand why the Liric requires more power, since the Z1R are 64 ohms and 100 db/mw and the Liric are 30 ohms and 100db/mw. Does anyone have any insight on this?

I guess that sensitivity rating is done at one frequency. Depending on the overall frequency response a full range signal might be louder or less loud: say one model has a +10dB bass shelf. That would make music that uses that frequency range louder than on the other model that does not have this bass emphasis, while both are equally loud at 1kHz (often used reference point for sensitivity).

Nov 27, 2021 at 5:42 AM Post #2,721 of 6,329
Good question. I also noticed that the Liric requires much more power than one would expect.

Nov 27, 2021 at 5:46 AM Post #2,722 of 6,329
I guess that sensitivity rating is done at one frequency. Depending on the overall frequency response a full range signal might be louder or less loud: say one model has a +10dB bass shelf. That would make music that uses that frequency range louder than on the other model that does not have this bass emphasis, while both are equally loud at 1kHz (often used reference point for sensitivity).
Well i would explain the FR to play a role, but i have to crank Dave up like 8-12 DB to get a similar listening experience with the Liric. It's just ridiculous. The Elite are 32 ohms and 101 dB and didn't require cranking the volume up this much

Nov 27, 2021 at 6:26 AM Post #2,724 of 6,329
also manufacturer's sensitivity may not be trusted, search HiFiMAN's HP numbers and third-party measured...

Nov 27, 2021 at 6:29 AM Post #2,725 of 6,329
also manufacturer's sensitivity may not be trusted, search HiFiMAN's HP numbers and third-party measured...
Good point... vendor measurements are often not well documented and many measure to impress, i.e. they select measurement methods that make their models look favorable. Comparing across vendors using only their own measurements is hard...

Nov 27, 2021 at 6:33 AM Post #2,726 of 6,329
Well i would explain the FR to play a role, but i have to crank Dave up like 8-12 DB to get a similar listening experience with the Liric. It's just ridiculous. The Elite are 32 ohms and 101 dB and didn't require cranking the volume up this much
Sounds quite extrem, yes. Unfortunately I can't say wether Meze measurements are reliable (even among their own range), but as @deafenears mentioned it may well be that the numbers suggest a similarity that is simply not there when measured by independent sources.

Nov 27, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #2,727 of 6,329
Nov 27, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #2,728 of 6,329
You can always read the Malevolent's comparison between Z1R and VC and extrapolate to the Liric... Not the same, but approximately.
Thanks, was not aware of it. Based on what i'm hearing in my chain, sounds like the Liric might beat the VC in a few categories as well.
Highs on the Liric are some of the best i've heard, open or closed, speed is greater than Z1R but it retains part of its physicality (rare for a planar), and the overall tuning is better. It's a shame that the soundstage is smaller (might be on par with VC here) , and it is a bit too mid forward for me. Z1R stages everything in front of you, vocals are a bit in your face on the Liric.

Nov 28, 2021 at 3:40 AM Post #2,729 of 6,329
I'm curious how you would compare the Liric to Z1R and Verite Closed. Sadly i have no way of hearing the Verite without buying it first.
Here's a cursory comparison of the 3 headphones -

LIRIC: It is the most aggressive-sounding headphone of the lot, with sparkier treble that instills a good sense of energy and dynamism into your music. Bass on the LIRIC is thumping yet snappy, with good impact and slam. It is also has the leanest tone of the 3; still, it is not "thin" per se, just comparatively so. Technicalities are on par with the MDR-Z1R, but falls just a little shy of the Vérité Closed. EDM sounds best on the LIRIC.

MDR-Z1R: A little more laid-back than the LIRIC. A little less energetic, too, but retains good engagement levels and a pleasant touch of warmth. Bass on the MDR-Z1R is grand, with excellent texture. It has good levels of slam and impact, with fantastic extension into the sub-bass region. Mids are lush, full, and potent, but may appear a little too heavy at the worst of times. The MDR-Z1R does well with EDM, but also with Rock and Pop.

Vérité Closed: The smoothest headphone of the 3, thanks to an attenuated treble section. It is not dark in the usual sense, but it does come across as lacking in intensity and vigor. The lows are brilliant, with excellent layering, separation and impact. The mids are the star of the show, though, thanks to a lush presentation that has inherently better technical chops than the MDR-Z1R. I enjoy the Vérité Closed the most with 80s Rock and Pop music. Basically, anything with vocals in them.

Nov 28, 2021 at 8:47 AM Post #2,730 of 6,329
Technicalities are on par with the MDR-Z1R,
This might be a difference due to the chain, but i feel like the Z1R are considerably more resolving, with better separation and imaging. I can hear details in voices that are missing on the Liric. Lips parting, breaths in between notes, background noises, stuff like that. And it's across the frequency range, even though the Liric has more clarity due to the tuning, it does not have that last level of detail. If i used another source to compare them i'm not sure what the difference would be, but they do seem to scale up more. Which is not the Liric's use case anyway. For portable use i can't think of anything better. It's just that the Liric also block external noise a lot less than the Z1R, but they pads are not as thick so it makes sense.
It is also has the leanest tone of the 3; still, it is not "thin" per se, just comparatively so.
I feel like this is the party trick for the perceived clarity without having the highest level of resolution. However it's not shrill like i find the Steliias. It's a great balance overall.
I think a 4k Meze closed back with this tuning based on the Elite driver would be the ultimate closed back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back