The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Dec 2, 2021 at 3:08 AM Post #2,746 of 6,351
It's just me really loving the black/bronze. And personally, it's worth the extra charges and besides, it's a headphone to use many of years to come. I don't have any with the seal or fit either. The Amiron Wireless sure is heavy but I'm still impressed because after a while, you don't even feel it and then you forgot it till you move your head haha
Agreed. I got a pair of the regular wireless version this week, having heard them first thanks to @plakat several years ago. They are underrated, indeed. While I wouldn't say they compete with top tier closed-backs, they do have a very smooth and quite relaxing presentation. Comfort is top notch as is build. For commuting, travel, they make sense (though less practical than Bluetooth IEMs, of course [and curious to hear how they compare to Beyer's Xelento IEMs). My one quibble is that the cable plugs into the right hand side of the headphone.

Dec 2, 2021 at 6:31 AM Post #2,747 of 6,351
Agreed. I got a pair of the regular wireless version this week, having heard them first thanks to @plakat several years ago. They are underrated, indeed. While I wouldn't say they compete with top tier closed-backs, they do have a very smooth and quite relaxing presentation. Comfort is top notch as is build. For commuting, travel, they make sense (though less practical than Bluetooth IEMs, of course [and curious to hear how they compare to Beyer's Xelento IEMs). My one quibble is that the cable plugs into the right hand side of the headphone.
Glad to have left a lasting impression :wink:

Yes, the Amiron wireless is underrated. To me it was the first really good sounding wireless headphone. I’d love to see a followup model targeting mobile use cases (i.e. foldable, oval cups, water resistance, …)
I had a long talk with Beyerdynamic at the time they were introduced, and they were specifically targeting home use with this model.

The black+copper variant does look nice, but spending 100,- more for a new color scheme after selling the old one did not work for me.

Dec 2, 2021 at 6:32 AM Post #2,748 of 6,351
I wrote a small comparison between the Beyerdynamic T5 gen 3 and Focal Celestee:

I've changed the pads to a set of Dekoni sheepskin (with the new attachment lip) and have been testing the T5 vs the Focal Celestee on both a Lake People RS-08 and Audio-gd Master 19.
Both present the music in a different way and both have their strengths and weaknesses compared to each other. The Celestee has the deep slam, but the T5 has more overall bass presence. Celestee is narrow while the T5 is large. Celestee has more details in the treble, while the T5 is smoother and provides a more laid-back presentation that doesn't fatigue. Celestee is more natural though.

With EQ both can be shaped into very capable and enjoyable headphones at which point I give the T5 the upper hand.

Which one do I keep? I'm torn. The Celestee leaks less, though I trust Beyerdynamic a bit more in having spare parts down the road. Resale value of the Celestee seems to be a bit higher while the original asking prices for both is about the same. The T5 has a lot of potential but in stock form has more flaws (pads and frequency response).

Dec 2, 2021 at 6:39 AM Post #2,749 of 6,351
Glad to have left a lasting impression :wink:

Yes, the Amiron wireless is underrated. To me it was the first really good sounding wireless headphone. I’d love to see a followup model targeting mobile use cases (i.e. foldable, oval cups, water resistance, …)
I had a long talk with Beyerdynamic at the time they were introduced, and they were specifically targeting home use with this model.

The black+copper variant does look nice, but spending 100,- more for a new color scheme after selling the old one did not work for me.
Ha, yes, that must have been 2018 or so: prior to parenting days, in any case. Nostalgia....

I agree on your suggestions, especially something foldable. If I was travelling now with a pair of Beyerdynamic headphones, then I'd probably opt for DT700 given they're more rugged and isolate better. But yes, home use, lounging around, doing some ironing, watching films on a tablet, etc - the Aimron is perfect.

Dec 2, 2021 at 8:42 AM Post #2,750 of 6,351
Ha, yes, that must have been 2018 or so: prior to parenting days, in any case. Nostalgia....

I agree on your suggestions, especially something foldable. If I was travelling now with a pair of Beyerdynamic headphones, then I'd probably opt for DT700 given they're more rugged and isolate better. But yes, home use, lounging around, doing some ironing, watching films on a tablet, etc - the Aimron is perfect.
I hope Corona allows us to have a small local meet next year.

On Beyers Black Friday sale I noticed the "cleanout" label on their Aventho models (wired and wireless), so I'd say the mobile range now has a free spot to fill... one can hope. A foldable over-ear model based upon the DT700 would trigger an instant download of money from me to them I guess :wink:

Keeping with European headphones I just ordered the new Austrian Audio Hi-X60
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/austrian-audio-hi-x60-closed-back-studio-headphone.960947/

Made in Austria... could not resist. AA have great build quality and very reasonable prices, I just have to support local development.

Dec 2, 2021 at 8:48 AM Post #2,751 of 6,351
I hope Corona allows us to have a small local meet next year.

On Beyers Black Friday sale I noticed the "cleanout" label on their Aventho models (wired and wireless), so I'd say the mobile range now has a free spot to fill... one can hope. A foldable over-ear model based upon the DT700 would trigger an instant download of money from me to them I guess :wink:

Keeping with European headphones I just ordered the new Austrian Audio Hi-X60
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/austrian-audio-hi-x60-closed-back-studio-headphone.960947/

Made in Austria... could not resist. AA have great build quality and very reasonable prices, I just have to support local development.
Yes a meet up would be good. Keep me posted.

Do you have impressions/experience of the Aventho? I've seen them but slightly put off because the on-ear style reminds me of the early T5 (I think) model, which sounded good but weren't comfortable.

I'm ashamed to say I've not tried any Austrian Audio headphones, though from everything I read I'd probably like them. Indeed - good to support the locals! Will likely order myself.

Dec 2, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #2,752 of 6,351
Yes a meet up would be good. Keep me posted.

Do you have impressions/experience of the Aventho? I've seen them but slightly put off because the on-ear style reminds me of the early T5 (I think) model, which sounded good but weren't comfortable.

I'm ashamed to say I've not tried any Austrian Audio headphones, though from everything I read I'd probably like them. Indeed - good to support the locals! Will likely order myself.
If there's any possibility for something like a meet, I'll most definitely let you know. Eventual dates will also be posted in our Vienna Meet thread
http://www.head-fi.org/t/786111/austria-head-fi-lounge

I think you're talking about the T50/T51 line, which is a precursor to the Aventho. The T50 had a bit of a weird FR as far as I remember, I much preferred the DT1350 at that time. I once owned the T51, most comfortable on-ear I ever had. But still an on-ear, which I dislik... yes, compact, but oh so uncomfortable.

The Aventho was a refined version of the T51 I'd say, a bit warm, with a slight upper bass hump, but a slight step back in comfort (a bit flatter pads, more clamping force). Technologically quite advanced, I think it was the first Beyerdynamic model to include Mimi hearing correction / profiles stored in the headphone itself. They had custom-made batteries to fully utilize the small space and provide decent runtime. I had them for a while, but did not use them much for comfort reasons.

I only skipped the on-ear model from Austrian Audio (for reasons just like above) and the open Hi-X65. The latter is said to have a very good tuning, and while I somewhat liked the Hi-X55 I found it rather picky regarding source and always retaining a bit of a shoutiness in the upper mids. Looking forward to the Hi-X60 -- if they repackaged the X65 tuning into a closed back and lifted the bass a bit, this might fit me quite well.

Dec 2, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #2,753 of 6,351
If there's any possibility for something like a meet, I'll most definitely let you know. Eventual dates will also be posted in our Vienna Meet thread
http://www.head-fi.org/t/786111/austria-head-fi-lounge

I think you're talking about the T50/T51 line, which is a precursor to the Aventho. The T50 had a bit of a weird FR as far as I remember, I much preferred the DT1350 at that time. I once owned the T51, most comfortable on-ear I ever had. But still an on-ear, which I dislik... yes, compact, but oh so uncomfortable.

The Aventho was a refined version of the T51 I'd say, a bit warm, with a slight upper bass hump, but a slight step back in comfort (a bit flatter pads, more clamping force). Technologically quite advanced, I think it was the first Beyerdynamic model to include Mimi hearing correction / profiles stored in the headphone itself. They had custom-made batteries to fully utilize the small space and provide decent runtime. I had them for a while, but did not use them much for comfort reasons.

I only skipped the on-ear model from Austrian Audio (for reasons just like above) and the open Hi-X65. The latter is said to have a very good tuning, and while I somewhat liked the Hi-X55 I found it rather picky regarding source and always retaining a bit of a shoutiness in the upper mids. Looking forward to the Hi-X60 -- if they repackaged the X65 tuning into a closed back and lifted the bass a bit, this might fit me quite well.
Ah - right. The DT1350/T51, indeed. Totally forgot the name. I had the DT1350 for a while, which sounded quite good though comfort and cable I think were an issue.

And thanks - will keep an eye on the Vienna Meet thread. :beerchug:

Dec 2, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #2,754 of 6,351
Ah - right. The DT1350/T51, indeed. Totally forgot the name. I had the DT1350 for a while, which sounded quite good though comfort and cable I think were an issue.

And thanks - will keep an eye on the Vienna Meet thread. :beerchug:

Yes, DT1350 comfort was an acquired taste... they do sound good though. And they can get absurdly loud, I remember reading something like 129dB in the datasheet. Perfect for DJ monitoring (not because of that 129dB output :wink:

Dec 3, 2021 at 6:16 AM Post #2,755 of 6,351
Hi,
I'm looking for a new headphone for daily, I also have a hybrid amp (Little Dot MK3SE + Topping D90)
I never had planar headphone, do you think is a good idea in closed configuration against a dynamic closed headphone ?
I looking for a LCD-2 open or a Aeon RT closed

V.

Dec 3, 2021 at 6:18 AM Post #2,756 of 6,351
Would that be PEI? Halifax is now 410,000. How much is PEI?

Yes, PEI. We have about 165,000 for the whole province.

At least you have a couple of audio stores there. The closest we have to one now is Best Buy.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #2,757 of 6,351
Yes, PEI. We have about 165,000 for the whole province.

At least you have a couple of audio stores there. The closest we have to one now is Best Buy.
The audio store are useless for headphones. Glubes was good up until I maxed out at $399/$499 headphones. I don't think Peak Audio carries any.

All my purchasing has been blind and online for about four years.

Dec 3, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #2,758 of 6,351
How are the Celestee pads on the Elegia? Worth trying?

I also ended up with a pair of Elegia as it turns out, because I'm insane I guess (no I don't normally buy two pairs of headphones within a week or two of one another). Though I still got those Nightowls (thanks for the input) and love them. Incredibly comfortable and the bass was exactly what I was looking for. Though I don't find the Elegia lacking bass at all, it's just different.

It's depends on my mood or music genre. I'll switch between the two, I wasn't looking at heavier bass headphones as a primary to begin with, just a fun set to use when in the mood. The Focal may be my new daily driver, though they are pretty forward and bordering a bit too intense for me. Not quite fatiguing per se, but something. Not sure how to put it just yet, I'm still adjusting.

I'm asking because I was originally thinking, ok saved some money with the used Nightowls and maybe next year or two I'd go for the Celestee. Then I read from some reviewers that they didn't care for the Celestee and it's soundstage. Saw the Elegia on insane sale and was like ok, maybe now is better than waiting a year. So I'm curious how the two compare with the same pads.
It its stock configuration, the Elegia sounds a little too lean and light in the mid-bass. With the Celestee pads, its timbre is a little more rounded and full; mid-bass is also enhanced a little, so the overall presentation of its lows is a tad more engaging.

How one perceives the Elegia's bass is probably dependent on their aural preferences, and also the music that they enjoy. I listen to a lot of tracks that require a steady, heavy bassline to drive the music (e.g. EDM, in its myriad forms), so the Elegia comes across as being a little anemic in that particular department.

Dec 4, 2021 at 2:53 AM Post #2,759 of 6,351
It its stock configuration, the Elegia sounds a little too lean and light in the mid-bass. With the Celestee pads, its timbre is a little more rounded and full; mid-bass is also enhanced a little, so the overall presentation of its lows is a tad more engaging.

How one perceives the Elegia's bass is probably dependent on their aural preferences, and also the music that they enjoy. I listen to a lot of tracks that require a steady, heavy bassline to drive the music (e.g. EDM, in its myriad forms), so the Elegia comes across as being a little anemic in that particular department.
Cool. Are these the Celestee or Stellia is it? pads from Dekoni? Or the actual Focal pads?

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2021 at 6:53 AM Post #2,760 of 6,351
Time.

My audio stable has remained unchanged for two, yes two, years (with the exception of the Paw S1 last Christmas, but we'll ignore that). I'll just let the gasps settle down...

I've held official discussions with the wife, I even put on a tux for the occasion, and we're in agreement; I'm due a new headphone; 'tis the season to be jolly after all!

The shortlist consists of:

- Audeze LCD-XC 2021
- Denon 9200
- Kennerton Gjallerhorn
- Fostex TH-900
- Campfire Audio Cascade
- Heddphone (yeah they're open so a bit of a wildcard, but I'm intrigued)

I don't really know what sound I'm after, as the list suggests, but good bass is a must, and I believe all of the above to meet that particular criteria. The Sony Z1R and Liric would be on there but there is a price ceiling.

I hope to demo all of them over the next few weeks, although one or two might not be possible. I'll take the Dangerous Source for a desktop source, and the Paw S1 and Meridian Explorer 2 for portable device tests.

I'm genuinely excited to hear what these can offer over my Owls and Shure 1540s, but these will remain in the stable.

As an aside, how do you guys feel about auditioning equipment in places that you know you might end up purchasing elsewhere? I can't help but feel a bit... guilty... about it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back