The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Nov 22, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #2,701 of 6,329
How would you compare that Liric to the dt 700 pro X?

I just got the dt 700 and I think its an impressive headphone for the money. How would you say it stacks up to one of the greats?
I also recently got the 700 Pro X and have been very impressed with the smooth timbre, which is nevertheless quite airy and detailed. I also really like the new pads.

Despite something like an €1800 (ouch) price difference between them - and of course putting aside issues of build, etc - in terms of sound alone, there are some similarities. The Liric has more sizzle in the top end, whereas the 700 Pro X is somewhat smoother (strange for Beyer, eh?). The mids on the Beyer feel a little congested, though quite textured - a little shouty at times. There's more clarity in the Liric's mids, but it also feels there's a dip in the lower mids. Bass is far punchier in the Liric whereas it's more of a bloom on the 700 Pro X. Beyond this, they basically have what I'd broadly say is a linear(ish) profile, so it's not as though you're moving between different worlds. The Liric of course has far better technicalities; better imaging, wider, more articulate layering, more precise detail.

In sum, the Liric is far more refined, though the 700 Pro X is indeed impressive for the price and also a keeper.

Nov 22, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #2,702 of 6,329
I came very close to buying the Z1R, and ended up getting the Stellias instead. Both purchases would have been without auditioning due to the pandemic and limited dealers in my area (at least without a bit of driving).

What kept me from buying the Z1Rs (at several hundred USD less than the Stellias) was their polarizing sound and apparent genre dependency (i.e. good with some, not with others). The comfort and build quality were a draw, though.

The other contender in the price range (even new) was the Denon D-9200.
Ultimately I chose the Focals because I really like their house sound. A way to sample this would be to hear any of the recent Focals (Elear, Celestee, Clear) and if you like them but would want more, the Stellias should make you very happy. That could be a way to dip your toe in the water without spending the whole amount, though mostly if you are comfortable with the buying and selling pre-owned). If you could use a great bargain in open-backs, the Elears are stupid good for $400-500 used.

(P.S. I didn’t list the Elegias due to their reported weak bass, and the Radiance (which I’ve owned) for their stronger bass- more than typical Focals)
Thanks for tell us your experience. I have the Sony Z7s and I find them relaxing for certain genres (I supposed Z1R will be similar), but when I want to listen to rock or metal I choose the 9200s or the 1990 Pros, because I don't like the experience with the Sonys.

When listening to jazz or OSTs with the Z7s, they lack the detail of the 9200s, but, on the other hand, they give me more musicality and warmth with these genres. The issue that I have with the Sonys is that sometimes (with certain albums or passages) I find the treble annoying. I don't know if it's big brother will solve that or maybe it's time (I know it is :rolling_eyes: ) to upgrade my 12 year old Asus Xonar Essence One :relieved: to improve my listening experience.

Nov 22, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #2,703 of 6,329
Stealth & LIRIC.jpg

I had a second round of auditions with the Stealth and the LIRIC today. I had a great time comparing the 2 last Friday, I knew I had to go for a second bite.

This time around, I used a Chord Hugo TT 2, and my own Hugo 2, to drive the 2 headphones. Don't mind the DAVE in the photo, though; it was stacked in this manner as an earlier customer was having a go comparing the Qutest, the Hugo TT 2, and Chord's flagship. An aside: I think that particular customer was this close to getting the DAVE. :wink:

In any case, my impressions from the first set were well-and-truly confirmed today - the LIRIC retains its musical and engaging streak across both the Hugo 2 and the Hugo TT 2. It's still a fun, yet relatively detailed, headphone that you'd be happy to listen to your tunes - and enjoy them - with. It's not a tool for the critical listener, though; it's no surgeon's scalpel where absolute resolving ability is concerned. With that in mind, if you enjoy tight, slightly-elevated bass, with good impact and rumble, and a spicy, crispy treble that has good prominence and attack, but remains 1 or 2 rungs below the harsh and strident planes, the LIRIC would certainly tick your respective boxes.

On the other side of the coin, the Stealth still failed, in most parts, to conjure a magical and immersive listening experience. In my earlier post, I detailed how lackluster it appeared; this time around, with the help of the Hugo TT 2, the Stealth unveiled a sense of greater body and fullness in its tone. This afforded a meatier sound that added a touch of authority and warmth. Sadly, these improved aspects weren't enough to elevate the Stealth to a level that was exciting or musical. Rather, it remained somewhat dull, especially for EDM.

Don't get me wrong, though - the Stealth has its fans, and I can see its appeal, however niche it may seem from my perspective. Still, if you are a dance music fan, you would be hard pressed to derive high levels of emotion and passion from the Dan Clark Audio flagship. Rather, it presents the music like an artist would the many colors used to craft an art masterpiece - you spot the individual hues and strokes in vivid detail; however, the sum of its parts are less appealing than the micro-level examination of its composite units.

Consequently, after 2 auditions, I was sold on the LIRIC. I've purchased my own unit, and it should, hopefully, arrive within the next 2 weeks. :)
Congrats! I gave in too... Hope to have it by the end of this week.

Nov 22, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #2,704 of 6,329
Congrats! I gave in too... Hope to have it by the end of this week.
I think you should borrow me one of your unused headphones :wink: you surely have, will be a good service for the comunity :beerchug:

Nov 22, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #2,705 of 6,329
I think you should borrow me one of your unused headphones :wink: you surely have, will be a good service for the comunity :beerchug:
Maybe I'll start a rental service lol.

Nov 22, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #2,707 of 6,329
Thanks for tell us your experience. I have the Sony Z7s and I find them relaxing for certain genres (I supposed Z1R will be similar), but when I want to listen to rock or metal I choose the 9200s or the 1990 Pros, because I don't like the experience with the Sonys.
Totally agree. Z1R at great headphones for baroque music not for metal :)

Nov 23, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #2,708 of 6,329
Nice, congrats! A good addition to your collection, I think.

I think the Liric is proving to be a good all-rounder headphone. Of course, it lends itself to music with a lot of attack - EDM, metal, fusion, etc. But having had it for a few days now, I find it also handles soundtracks, ambient, and even classical very well.
Thanks, mate!

Yes, that's a very apt description of the LIRIC - it has a lot of attack and energy. It's certainly a headphone that's unabashed in its portrayal of music - it wants to be fun, exciting, and vivid.

Meze has a winner on their hands, IMO.

Nov 23, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #2,710 of 6,329
@Nostoi In your opinion is LIRIC a better headphones than Fostex TH900?
Depends on your taste but yes, in my opinion. The Liric is a far more refined and balanced headphone. The TH900 is all about the slam, but if you're listening to anything aside from EDM or soundtracks, I think they're rather niche. Certainly for rock and metal, the recessed mids will leave you wanting more.

Nov 23, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #2,711 of 6,329
When my house is paid off, I will go gonzo on audio. My wife and I have no desire to travel, so it should be easy.

Nov 23, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #2,712 of 6,329
Thanks, mate!

Yes, that's a very apt description of the LIRIC - it has a lot of attack and energy. It's certainly a headphone that's unabashed in its portrayal of music - it wants to be fun, exciting, and vivid.

Would you say it has some of the Focal dynamics, then? Seems like speed (for a dynamic headphone, that is) and excitement are hallmarks of Focal…

Nov 24, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #2,714 of 6,329
Thanks, mate!

How do you think of it compared to the Noire?

Have been going back and forth between the T5 (baffles out) and Noire, the former more exciting and soundstage suiting electronic, while the latter way more comfortable and nicer/more natural details suited to a variety of non-electronic genres....but just leaves me wanting a bit of a wider stage still and bit more impact.

Can't say I am willing to spend another 1k just to get those...but seems interesting to compare the Noire with the Liric.

My perfect choice would be the easy-to drive, wide soundstage, impact and imaging of the T5, with the comfort and detail (and design...) of the Noire.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #2,715 of 6,329
@Nostoi In your opinion is LIRIC a better headphones than Fostex TH900?
I agree with @Nostoi's assessment of the 2 headphones - the TH900 Mk2 is one of the true kings for EDM. Few headphones come within touching distance of the Fostex in regard to its near-perfect combination of slam, dynamics, engagement, excitement, and fun. If dance music is your primary genre, you will not be disappointed; in fact, you will probably come to cherish this headphone for its innate abilities. However, owing to its midrange scoop, if you value body and range in your vocals, the TH900 Mk2 will be found wanting.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back