The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Nov 19, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #2,671 of 6,351
Yeah, some of the impressions I've read of the HP-3 have described it in more balanced terms, as opposed to the bass-focused Gjallarhorn. As it stands, the Kennerton original is not a jack-of-all-trades; rather, the superb bass presentation, coupled with a lush and meaty midrange, and a treble attenuation, means that it is a headphone that's only suited for listeners who prefer a darker signature. It makes sense that some tuning considerations were made in order to afford some symmetry to its sound - it'll make it better suited for a wider variety of genres.

In any case, as long as you enjoy your headphone, nothing else should really matter. :)
Which is darker, the Gjallarhorn of the T5 3rd?

Nov 19, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #2,672 of 6,351
Here you go below. WP900 have very similar dimensions to MSR7B. 700 are certainly beefier in size. No question of which has better pads. But both WP900 and MSR7B have foldable cups, so are inherently portable. 700 are in theory portable, but you'd need a suitable case and a rucksack. MSR7B have similar FR to 700, but 700 feel to be better in every respect, especially mids/bass. WP900 very, very different to 700 in every respect. BTW: 700 can be driven from portable source, but they seem to me to still thrive on power. I would definitely recommend a decent DAP and/or portable amp if you're going portable rather than phone.

20211022_122307.jpg20211022_122240.jpg
I really enjoyed the Msr7b, just a lack of low end for the most part. Can you go into a little greater detail comparing the Msr7b to the 700? I'm assuming the 700 can not be ran balanced?

Nov 19, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #2,673 of 6,351
I have the Aeon 2 Noire and Ether C on loan now. I had the D7200 to and it had a vs against the Kennerton Magni that I got at the same time and lost that due to being to soft and polite. To similar to keep both but in the end it was a no brainer what to go for.

But I did like it quite a bit just the Magni that blow me away with it´s dynamics and drive when called for. Just engaged me so much more into the music as it can really explode in the fortissimo parts and still make good of the pianissimo parts. Not talking about bass but everything that is supposed to let loose let loose on the Magni more then other headphones I tried.

Aeon 2 Noire share a similar frequency response but it also falls victim to the Magnis dynamic capabilities though it certainly does have drive and a thump even. Ether C I am able to get closer still in dynamics. Sound quality I would say they are better then the Magni though even without filters particularly the noire feel almost overdamped. But maybe it´s just the pure studiosound I am hearing. But tbh at this level pure sound quality is the least of my concerns for enjoying music. I am using an old budget receiver from the speaker tabs for my magneplanars just because they sound better and more open despite not a pitch black noise floor and I bet more distortion my ears don´t detect anyway.

I don´t really understand though. Some of my headphone amplifiers output 5w which should be enough. And they still sound great and high volume on lesser powered amplifiers but this like the LCD-2 just openes up so much more when giving 50W??? Of course volume level on the receiver is close to mute. SPL metre don´t suggest I am fooling my ears by listening to higher levels either but magneplanars often feel like they want to compress when you try to increase volume to much. Particularly the Hifiman Ananda was a dynamic disaster.

Noire and Ether C can still rock. Suggested their V-planars don´t suffer as much from this and I can buy that plus being helped by the closed back too. Actually like the Ether C so much I am planning spending twice that I have ever done on a headphone. I really need this isolation though that is key otherwise I would just be a happy camper with the Magni. I can hardly ever use my HD 800S due to lack of isolation. I have not made that comparison yet but the detail retrieval with the Ether C must be really freaking close.

Getting the point across with the music, movies, games etc is more important then pure sound quality though.

As for JVC there is of course the DX 1000. Not the most capable headphone technically but great soundstage, easy listen, good bass but you have that already. May not feel like an upgrade to the D7200 besides the soundstage department.

If anyone find a headphone more dynamic then the Kennerton Magni please shout. Not in term of bass TH-X00 blows more sub bass then I ever heard in a headphone but boy did it fail to integrate the bass. I am certainly looking at the harman target a lot now it makes a lot of sense for my ears :)
Magni / HP-3 are the most dynamic headphones I've heard. I'm curious what the new Apos Audio Caspian sounds like.

Nov 19, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #2,674 of 6,351
Overall
Make no mistake, though, if you are in the hunt for a closed-back headphone that has fortes in the aspects of detail, layering, and balance, the Stealth is a good-to-great choice, albeit one that is somewhat pricy. If you don't need a portable solution, the Rögnir remains the better option, IMO. It is equally as resolving, but is easily more engaging and dynamic than the Stealth.

The LIRIC, on the other hand, is a fantastic option at the $2,000 mark. Yes, this isn't cheap either, but $2,000 is still half of $4,000. What you lose in sheer resolving prowess, you gain in musicality, engagement, and fun. Plus, they are just as portable, so neither headphone gets the win in this department.

Thank you for this comparison. Not that I was considering one of those two, though at least the Meze did not expire new heights in price -- strange times when one has to say that about a 2k headphone. Yet now I won't even think about either anymore :wink: Instead I'll pull out my D9200 after several weeks (or was it even months?) of rest and enjoy that one once again as if for the first time.

Nov 19, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #2,675 of 6,351
I really enjoyed the Msr7b, just a lack of low end for the most part. Can you go into a little greater detail comparing the Msr7b to the 700? I'm assuming the 700 can not be ran balanced?
I was listening to the MSR7B this week, actually. Amazing value for money really. The 700 has more warmth in the low end with a smoother top end. I find the imaging slightly sharper on the MSR7B. I seem to remember I recommended you the WP900 but you didn't like them? If that's the case, you might like the 700, as it's less v-shaped and less fatiguing. Can't be run balanced, unless modded. Great headphone.

Nov 19, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #2,676 of 6,351
I was listening to the MSR7B this week, actually. Amazing value for money really. The 700 has more warmth in the low end with a smoother top end. I find the imaging slightly sharper on the MSR7B. I seem to remember I recommended you the WP900 but you didn't like them? If that's the case, you might like the 700, as it's less v-shaped and less fatiguing. Can't be run balanced, unless modded. Great headphone.
Yep. The mids were too scooped on the WP900. Still looking for that special closed back. We listen to some of the same music. I'm all about the 80s hair metal.
Tried the Magni and the HP-3. Never thought I'd say this, but they were actually a bit too dynamic for my tastes.
Tried the 7200 - too dark, and I didn't find the low end very satisfying.
I guess the Teaks were the closest, but not quite dynamic enough (close though). I also didn't find the low end very satisfying, plus I couldn't get a good seal with the stock pads.
My budget is 750, new or used. Prefer dynamic drivers, nothing too crazy hard to drive, or too heavy. Must be able to run them balanced.
I wish I knew someone who could pull the drivers from my Quad Era-1, and put them in a different pair of closed back headphones.

Nov 19, 2021 at 10:47 PM Post #2,677 of 6,351
Overall
Make no mistake, though, if you are in the hunt for a closed-back headphone that has fortes in the aspects of detail, layering, and balance, the Stealth is a good-to-great choice, albeit one that is somewhat pricy. If you don't need a portable solution, the Rögnir remains the better option, IMO. It is equally as resolving, but is easily more engaging and dynamic than the Stealth.

The LIRIC, on the other hand, is a fantastic option at the $2,000 mark. Yes, this isn't cheap either, but $2,000 is still half of $4,000. What you lose in sheer resolving prowess, you gain in musicality, engagement, and fun. Plus, they are just as portable, so neither headphone gets the win in this department.

Thanks for the work. From what I've gather I will not deviate by these new headphones.

Nov 20, 2021 at 2:03 AM Post #2,678 of 6,351
@Malevolent thanks for the insight on Liric. How do you think Liric compares with the Denon 9200? I already have a ZMF and would like to explore the planar but Denon seems good alternative too
I think the LIRIC performs on a similar level to the AH-D9200. Neither product has the last word on resolution and clarity, but they are good enough in these departments that they'll satisfy the needs for the general audiophile populace, save those that are chasing absolute detail. Rather, both of these headphones have a musical tinge that will afford a "fun" kick to your music. Neither is sterile or neutral in their respective tonalities, but they are balanced with a healthy but controlled dose of low-end boost.

The AH-D9200 remains my favorite headphone, in general; the LIRIC, however, comes quite close to the Denon in that regard.

Out of curiosity, what ZMF headphone do you have at the moment?

I wonder why, but to me the Bass on the Liric is stronger than on the Empyrean.

Not in the upper bass since it still has a leaner and less warm signature. The overall Bass presence especially in the lowest Octaves is more dominant tho.

Maybe it's because of the tighter fit?
I have a very small head

Also so glad I skipped the Stealth, Meze Hit my taste once again
Sadly, I didn't compare the Empyrean to the LIRIC yesterday; I was so pleased with the LIRIC that I completely skipped that comparison. Nevertheless, the bass on the LIRIC is quite impressive, indeed - it is tight, has good impact, and also has decent sub-bass extension. And yes, the fit is a lot better than that of the Empyrean; the latter is comfortable enough, but always feels like it is just about to fall off your head. The LIRIC, though, feels "just right". It doesn't clamp excessively, but it also doesn't induce a fear of slipping off if you're headbanging too much, either.

Nov 20, 2021 at 2:21 AM Post #2,679 of 6,351
Thanks for the comparison, this also validates my choice to skip Stealth. I would've preferred a more expensive more resolving Liric , since for the sheer musicality part i already have the Z1R. How would you compare the Liric to the Z1R ?
The LIRIC is leaner and cleaner in tone than the MDR-Z1R; the latter is a distinctly colored, warm-slanted, headphone that is unabashed in its desire to produce a compelling sound that's equal parts fun and grand. If you are seeking something a little more neutral, but retains impressive bass texture, the LIRIC is a good choice to consider, especially if you want a contemporary to the MDR-Z1R.

However, if you are seeking a closed-back solution that has very good resolving capabilities, consider the Kennerton Rögnir. It is effortless in its ability to produce the finest bits of detail, and easily surpasses the Stealth in dynamics and engagement. The Kennerton is, effectively, a more exciting Stealth, which has the unfortunate tendency to sound a little lifeless at the worst of times.

Which is darker, the Gjallarhorn of the T5 3rd?
From memory, I think the T5 (3rd Generation) is a smidge darker; the Gjallarhorn has treble that is a bit more sparkly and prominent; moreover, the mid-bass on the Beyerdynamic is heavier than on the Kennerton. Thus, considering these aspects as a whole, the T5 (3rd Generation) sounds both darker, smoother, and heavier (in tone) than the Gjallarhorn.

Nov 20, 2021 at 5:16 AM Post #2,680 of 6,351
Thank you for this comparison. Not that I was considering one of those two, though at least the Meze did not expire new heights in price -- strange times when one has to say that about a 2k headphone. Yet now I won't even think about either anymore :wink: Instead I'll pull out my D9200 after several weeks (or was it even months?) of rest and enjoy that one once again as if for the first time.
Yes, even though $2,000 isn't cheap, in the world of flagships with a starting MSRP of $4,000, headphones like the LIRIC, the AH-D9200, the Vérité Closed, the MDR-Z1R, they all appear to be veritable "bargains". Even stalwarts like the HD 800 S, and the various Beyerdynamic and Audio-Technica headphones command prices below $2,000. I'm glad that the LIRIC bucks the trend; what we don't need right now is a slew of headphones that push the price barrier even higher.

Thanks for the work. From what I've gather I will not deviate by these new headphones.
You're welcome!

Sorry, were you planning to get the LIRIC? If so, it is a pretty good choice within the closed-back space, especially given a combination of sound, portability, looks, and price. :)

Nov 20, 2021 at 8:28 AM Post #2,681 of 6,351
I think the LIRIC performs on a similar level to the AH-D9200. Neither product has the last word on resolution and clarity, but they are good enough in these departments that they'll satisfy the needs for the general audiophile populace, save those that are chasing absolute detail. Rather, both of these headphones have a musical tinge that will afford a "fun" kick to your music. Neither is sterile or neutral in their respective tonalities, but they are balanced with a healthy but controlled dose of low-end boost.

The AH-D9200 remains my favorite headphone, in general; the LIRIC, however, comes quite close to the Denon in that regard.

Sadly, I didn't compare the Empyrean to the LIRIC yesterday; I was so pleased with the LIRIC that I completely skipped that comparison. Nevertheless, the bass on the LIRIC is quite impressive, indeed - it is tight, has good impact, and also has decent sub-bass extension. And yes, the fit is a lot better than that of the Empyrean; the latter is comfortable enough, but always feels like it is just about to fall off your head. The LIRIC, though, feels "just right". It doesn't clamp excessively, but it also doesn't induce a fear of slipping off if you're headbanging too much, either.
VC, am thinking of something portable that I can walk around with or bring on work trips now that travel is possible.

Nov 20, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #2,682 of 6,351
From memory, I think the T5 (3rd Generation) is a smidge darker; the Gjallarhorn has treble that is a bit more sparkly and prominent; moreover, the mid-bass on the Beyerdynamic is heavier than on the Kennerton. Thus, considering these aspects as a whole, the T5 (3rd Generation) sounds both darker, smoother, and heavier (in tone) than the Gjallarhorn.
Do you still own your Kennerton's GH50?

By the way, thank you very much for your Meze Liric impressions. Excellent work. I love to read your impressions, reviews and comparisons, like I have said to you before. They are very important for me because as you know I can't try headphones where I live (I envy you and other forum members for that...).

I was going to ask about 9200s and Z1R comparisons with Liric. But solved :wink: . Anyway, thanks :beerchug:

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #2,683 of 6,351

Would you say the Liric is more comfortable (headband especially) than the AH-D9200?

Nov 21, 2021 at 3:32 AM Post #2,685 of 6,351
I'm currently considering a closed headphone in the 1000€ range, i would buy them 2nd hand. Current contenders are the Celestee for around 650-700€ or the Sony Z1R, which i could get with some waiting and hunting for around 1000€. As for the tonality i prefer, well i can pretty much enjoy everything from very colored to "neutral" to harman target curve. The signature of the Z1R sounds a bit more tempting however, i became somewhat of a basshead the last 10 years :D I don't have a problem with pronounced upper mids so the Celestee should be fine as well. What worries me about the Celestee is the small soundstage. What about the general technicalities of these 2 contenders? Is the Sony clearly ahead of the Focal? I do enjoy excellent instrument and vocal seperation and holographic imaging and value those over tonality. Any other headphones i didn't consider yet? A preowned Denon D9200 will be over my budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back