The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Aug 27, 2021 at 9:44 PM Post #2,386 of 6,351
Z1R is one of those "Oh yeah I'm a basshead" hps, right?
Mmm, close. It's probably more like, "Wow, I didn't know that bass could sound this good! No, wait... does that mean that.. I'm a basshead after all?!" :scream:

:wink:

Aug 27, 2021 at 9:56 PM Post #2,387 of 6,351
Beyer 770 was that for me. That bass extension, though. Next thing you know, I own the whole OG Sony XB lineup and a JVC SZ2000. lol

Aug 27, 2021 at 10:32 PM Post #2,388 of 6,351
I'm glad that you're enjoying the MDR-Z1R. Despite having some vocal detractors, it has its fair share of fans, too - I'm certainly one of them. This headphone provides a grand, lush experience like no other. I love its sound stock, though, so I've never had any desire to EQ it.
Perfect description, “grand, lush experience like no other.” As for EQ, I wish I could do without, but it’s a personal preference and I’m glad to see so many who roll with no EQ.

I don’t use EQ with any other kit I own, and the Z1R really doesn’t *need* it, but it sounds just that little bit better to my ears so I’ve always used it; when I don’t, there is a “glare” (?) that I hear in the upper mids (especially in female pop songs); plus, I love even more bass with them :) hence the low-pass shelf filter I add.

The things I love the most about the MDR-Z1R (after the lush sound) is the lightness and comfort: these are the most comfortable headphones I have ever owned or auditioned.

Aug 30, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #2,389 of 6,351
Hi @Malevolent I kind of "lost" your thread during summer and just found out, that head-fi didn´t give me the new posts. Anyways, I bid you a few months ago to test the Focal Elegia with the Celestee pads, because there were so many guys in German forums telling me that it is the perfect neutral headphone (for the money). Did you get the chance to test that and how were your findings? Sorry if you have posted it already but I couldn´t find it anywhere.
I've had a go with the Elegia with its stock pads VS the Celestee pads.

Long story short - the Celestee pads actually correct some of the flaws of the Elegia, IMO. The treble is less peaky and brittle; it is still a prominent facet of the Elegia. However, it is no longer as strident or as artificial as it was in its stock configuration. Chalk this as a +1 for the Celestee pads.

To improve things further, the lows gain a touch more rumble. There is a perceptible augmentation in the amount of mid and sub-bass that the Elegia is now pushing - it isn't an overwhelming change, mind you, but the bass is pushed forward enough to make this headphone (finally) enjoyable for bass-heavy music, such as EDM.

I'd say that the Elegia, with the Celestee pads, is a more enjoyable listen, thanks to an attenuated treble response, and a slightly boosted bass region. To my ears, it has a more organic tone.

Aug 30, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #2,390 of 6,351
Beyer 770 was that for me. That bass extension, though. Next thing you know, I own the whole OG Sony XB lineup and a JVC SZ2000. lol
Heh. A fellow XB fan. Nice to meet you! :)

I, too, own the original XB series of cans, including the lineup of successors, the XB200, XB400, XB600, and the XB800. Let's just say, I was a crazed basshead, back in the day. :sweat_smile:

Aug 30, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #2,391 of 6,351
Perfect description, “grand, lush experience like no other.” As for EQ, I wish I could do without, but it’s a personal preference and I’m glad to see so many who roll with no EQ.

I don’t use EQ with any other kit I own, and the Z1R really doesn’t *need* it, but it sounds just that little bit better to my ears so I’ve always used it; when I don’t, there is a “glare” (?) that I hear in the upper mids (especially in female pop songs); plus, I love even more bass with them :) hence the low-pass shelf filter I add.

The things I love the most about the MDR-Z1R (after the lush sound) is the lightness and comfort: these are the most comfortable headphones I have ever owned or auditioned.
If a successor to the MDR-Z1R is introduced, I hope that Sony doesn't stray too far away from its famed house sound. It's one of the things that I love about this headphone - it dares to eschew the prototypical audiophile sound, and walks its own path, in a bold, grand gesture of defiance to the gods of neutrality. :wink:

Besides, in terms of comfort, there are few headphones that can one-up the MDR-Z1R.

Aug 30, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #2,392 of 6,351
I've had a go with the Elegia with its stock pads VS the Celestee pads.

Long story short - the Celestee pads actually correct some of the flaws of the Elegia, IMO. The treble is less peaky and brittle; it is still a prominent facet of the Elegia. However, it is no longer as strident or as artificial as it was in its stock configuration. Chalk this as a +1 for the Celestee pads.

To improve things further, the lows gain a touch more rumble. There is a perceptible augmentation in the amount of mid and sub-bass that the Elegia is now pushing - it isn't an overwhelming change, mind you, but the bass is pushed forward enough to make this headphone (finally) enjoyable for bass-heavy music, such as EDM.

I'd say that the Elegia, with the Celestee pads, is a more enjoyable listen, thanks to an attenuated treble response, and a slightly boosted bass region. To my ears, it has a more organic tone.
thank you, mate. So it is a bit „better“ … but still not on the Celestee level for you?

Aug 30, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #2,393 of 6,351
Heh. A fellow XB fan. Nice to meet you! :)

I, too, own the original XB series of cans, including the lineup of successors, the XB200, XB400, XB600, and the XB800. Let's just say, I was a crazed basshead, back in the day. :sweat_smile:

I've been wanting a wireless bluetooth headphone for a bit now. XB950 is honestly the frontrunner for me at the moment, lol

Sep 1, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #2,394 of 6,351
thank you, mate. So it is a bit „better“ … but still not on the Celestee level for you?
Stock-wise, the Celestee is a better headphone than the Elegia; it has a more organic tone, has slightly better technicalities, and doesn't sound as strident in its highs. It has a meatier presentation that I really enjoy. If you could get either headphone at its standard MSRP, the Celestee for $100 more is a better option, IMO.

Sep 1, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #2,395 of 6,351
I've been wanting a wireless bluetooth headphone for a bit now. XB950 is honestly the frontrunner for me at the moment, lol
Well, if you like a "v-shaped" sound, Audio-Technica has recently revised its classic, the ATH-M50. The BT2 model has a few notable features, including USB-C charging; sound-wise, it should be the classic ATH-M50 sound that its fans enjoy, and its detractors don't. :wink:

Sep 2, 2021 at 7:25 AM Post #2,398 of 6,351
Wider. Much. Apologies to any fans, but the Z7M2 remain one of the most poorly tuned headphones I've ever had, especially in the mids. The AWKT is incomparably better in every respect.
Thank you very much, I wasn't hoping for such difference, I always thought the z7m2 had the widest sound stage for some reason. Thank you for the definitive answer.

Sep 2, 2021 at 7:27 AM Post #2,399 of 6,351
Wider. Much. Apologies to any fans, but the Z7M2 remain one of the most poorly tuned headphones I've ever had, especially in the mids. The AWKT is incomparably better in every respect.
While I've never heard the MK2, I have the Sony MDR-Z7 and MDR-Z1R. I just did kind of a comparison of the two recently and discovered a lot. Mainly that the original Z7 has a lower bass region that is not as textured as the Z1R. Also not as clear down there, pace missing. Obviously I'm comparing a open box $350 pair of Sony Z7 headphone to the MDR-Z1R $2200. Still I always thought the Z7 was better (than it proved itself to be), even after using it a long time?

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2021 at 7:31 AM Post #2,400 of 6,351
Thank you very much, I wasn't hoping for such difference, I always thought the z7m2 had the widest sound stage for some reason. Thank you for the definitive answer.
The only area where the Sony arguably has merit over the AWKT is in the bass. But from recollection, the bass on the Z7M2 is poorly defined and badly controlled. The bass on the AWKT is rather linear but excellent definition and depth. In terms of soundstage alone, the AWKT is in another league.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back