The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Sep 3, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #2,416 of 6,348
I’m sure Forza Audioworks can rustle up a suitable cable for you…
Another option would be a Drausk Lite from Norne Audio. It might just take a little longer, but is definitely worth it. If your budget stretches to the Drausk, it is an excellent cable but a bit more money.

Sep 4, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #2,417 of 6,348
I'd say that the nearer production is to development, the better the interaction between those parts and maybe also the quality control.
What I do like about Japanese headphones is their attention to detail. And yes, I do think a Japanese manufacturing plant might be more in line with this thinking. But still, most of the bad reputation of "Made in China" has, shows missing end control I think. And if that aspect is not taken care of, most factories will deliver sub-par quality pieces among those better ones. Thinking about the Schiit Audio stories about metal manufacturing results...
To be honest, I think that the "Made in China" tag isn't as bad as it once was. The country has certainly improved, by leaps and bounds, in its (mass) manufacturing capabilities. Certainly, a lack of QC remains a nagging worry, but I'm confident that it'll only improve from here on out.

Sep 4, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #2,418 of 6,348
To be honest, I think that the "Made in China" tag isn't as bad as it once was. The country has certainly improved, by leaps and bounds, in its (mass) manufacturing capabilities. Certainly, a lack of QC remains a nagging worry, but I'm confident that it'll only improve from here on out.
I'm really torn about that.
In China a lot of cheap trash is produced, but at the same time also quality stuff like Cayin and PrimaLuna

Sep 4, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #2,419 of 6,348
I have the 820 and bought the Z1R which I had for about a month. Not in the same league at all. While the Sony is nice headphone that is a laid back listen, the 820 is more detailed, has a much wider soundstage, better separation, and for me I don't get the wonky tonality others report and find great similarity to the 800S with better bass, treble tamed even more (just as the S tames treble over the original 800), but with a slightly smaller soundstage.
I'm in the opposite side of the spectrum; listening to the 2 headphones side-by-side, I immediately preferred the MDR-Z1R over the HD 820. What the MDR-Z1R lacks in sheer staging and imaging, the Sony gains with a lusher, grander sense of sound, with a more textured bass presentation that I truly enjoy.

In any case, horses for courses. Enjoy your music, my friend. :)

Sep 4, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #2,420 of 6,348
I'm really torn about that.
In China a lot of cheap trash is produced, but at the same time also quality stuff like Cayin and PrimaLuna
Well, being a major manufacturing hub, you certainly get your powerhouses, but you also get your riff-raff, and all that come in-between. Thankfully, from my perspective, a large majority of my "Made in China" stuff has held up remarkably well, over the years. I'm keeping my fingers crossed! :eyes:

Sep 4, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #2,421 of 6,348
Posted this over in the D7200 thread so I thought I would post here also. My over ears right now are Sony MDR-Z7, Philips X2HR, AQ Nighthawk Carbon and Denon AH-D600s. Thinking about selling the Sony and Denon. Planning to keep the Philips and mod the Nighthawks which will make them close to the Klipsch HP-3 (according to another HF member). Also thinking about getting Denon AH-D7200s used. Considered Elegia but those seem to be bass light. Prefer fun, engaging sound with good bass slam over reference. Also thinking about E-MU Teaks. Thoughts? Anything else fit the bill? Thanks.

Sep 5, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #2,422 of 6,348
I am curious about thoughts on the Stealth. Most of his other offerings have kind of left me feeling meh.

Sep 5, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #2,423 of 6,348
Posted this over in the D7200 thread so I thought I would post here also. My over ears right now are Sony MDR-Z7, Philips X2HR, AQ Nighthawk Carbon and Denon AH-D600s. Thinking about selling the Sony and Denon. Planning to keep the Philips and mod the Nighthawks which will make them close to the Klipsch HP-3 (according to another HF member). Also thinking about getting Denon AH-D7200s used. Considered Elegia but those seem to be bass light. Prefer fun, engaging sound with good bass slam over reference. Also thinking about E-MU Teaks. Thoughts? Anything else fit the bill? Thanks.
It depends on your budget, though. If you want something that's musical and engaging, with good bass slam, for under $1,000, the E-MU Teak at $500 is a great pick. The Klipsch HP-3 is an even more exciting headphone, with larger gains in the bass and treble departments; consequently, there is greater impact and slam in the lows, and higher peaks that, sadly, veer toward sibilance in the treble.

Ultimately, if you want a bit of that Foster bio-dyna sound, but you don't want to spend close to a couple of thousand dollars on it, you should go for the Teak. It is a great distillation of the Fostex/Denon house sound in a (relatively) affordable package. Plus, it retains the wood cups, so they are still pretty (if you like wood, that is).

Sep 5, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #2,424 of 6,348
I am curious about thoughts on the Stealth. Most of his other offerings have kind of left me feeling meh.
As am I. I've been a fan of the Dan Clark Audio headphones; however, they don't present the most dynamic or engaging of listening experiences. Certainly, they can come across as being a little smooth around the corners, with muted dynamics and a comparatively bland presentation. The AEON 2 Closed remains the brand's most exciting and musical headphone, IMO.

Sep 5, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #2,425 of 6,348
It depends on your budget, though. If you want something that's musical and engaging, with good bass slam, for under $1,000, the E-MU Teak at $500 is a great pick. The Klipsch HP-3 is an even more exciting headphone, with larger gains in the bass and treble departments; consequently, there is greater impact and slam in the lows, and higher peaks that, sadly, veer toward sibilance in the treble.

Ultimately, if you want a bit of that Foster bio-dyna sound, but you don't want to spend close to a couple of thousand dollars on it, you should go for the Teak. It is a great distillation of the Fostex/Denon house sound in a (relatively) affordable package. Plus, it retains the wood cups, so they are still pretty (if you like wood, that is).
Thanks chief. I ended up getting E-mu Teaks (ebony) for a little under $500. Reviews are stellar. Looking forward to getting them.

Sep 5, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #2,426 of 6,348
Thanks chief. I ended up getting E-mu Teaks (ebony) for a little under $500. Reviews are stellar. Looking forward to getting them.
Great! Enjoy your new headphone. Let us know what you think of the Teak when you get them. :)

Sep 7, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #2,427 of 6,348
All's quiet on the closed-back front.. until the Stealth arrives, I suppose. Then, we could have a major planar battle between that and the Rögnir.

It's a battle for our wallets, my friends! The $4,000 behemoths go into battle. Whoever wins, our wallets lose. Fun times, eh? :wink:

In other (closed-back) news, I recently purchased the Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2.

Okay, okay, I know that this headphone has its fair share of detractors, but I am a huge fan of its sound. I have the original ATH-M50 from 10 years ago, and I purchased the detachable-cable version, the ATH-M50x, several years back. When the wireless model hit the streets, I was close to buying one, but I held back for a while. The decision was further compounded by the fact that it used micro-USB for charging. Talk about ancient. :neutral_face:

With the BT2 revision, along with a slew of improvements, USB-C has finally been included! I promptly went ahead to pick one up at a local electronics store last week. So far, it has served as my daily BT driver, replacing my Marshall Major IV and the Sony WH-1000XM4.

Sep 7, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #2,428 of 6,348
I've been pre-occupied by the AKG K240 sextett (built late 1970s) though not a true closed-back they do block a bit of outside noise. That darned sextett isn't showing it's age yet if you treat it a bit. It's been modded quite a bit by using the K240mk2 removeable cable entry in the left earcup, but mounted with a 4pin mini xlr. Headphone now accept balanced cables. I've changed the pads to some better fitting memory foam sheepskin pads.

Sep 8, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #2,429 of 6,348
In other (closed-back) news, I recently purchased the Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2.

Okay, okay, I know that this headphone has its fair share of detractors, but I am a huge fan of its sound. I have the original ATH-M50 from 10 years ago, and I purchased the detachable-cable version, the ATH-M50x, several years back. When the wireless model hit the streets, I was close to buying one, but I held back for a while. The decision was further compounded by the fact that it used micro-USB for charging. Talk about ancient. :neutral_face:

With the BT2 revision, along with a slew of improvements, USB-C has finally been included! I promptly went ahead to pick one up at a local electronics store last week. So far, it has served as my daily BT driver, replacing my Marshall Major IV and the Sony WH-1000XM4.

I've picked up the original BT version about one year ago, primarily for my son as a robust Bluetooth headphone with good battery life, which it is. I did not see that many changes glancing over the Thomann page for the BT2 though, but reading through the Audio Technica page there seem to be some advances. Judging from the photos they even made the buttons better to identify by feel. I think they are a good example of a well implemented budget headphone.

Sep 8, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #2,430 of 6,348
I've picked up the original BT version about one year ago, primarily for my son as a robust Bluetooth headphone with good battery life, which it is. I did not see that many changes glancing over the Thomann page for the BT2 though, but reading through the Audio Technica page there seem to be some advances. Judging from the photos they even made the buttons better to identify by feel. I think they are a good example of a well implemented budget headphone.
Well, I would have bought the original BT model, if it came with a USB-C port. However, at that point in time, the tech market wasn't fully on board the USB-C train yet, so it was (somewhat) understandable. Thankfully, the revision, added the one feature that I really wanted, alongside a slew of advancements. Most of my devices are currently sporting USB-C; the only 2 major standouts are my Hugo 2 and Mojo, with both utilizing Micro-USB connectors. My Mojo has been in a state of hibernation for a while now, so the Hugo 2 remains the last of the "old guard". :wink:

Speaking of differences, there are some minor ones, and a few major ones, too, such as the Quick Charge feature, the multi-point pairing, and the enhanced battery life -

1631126011816.png

Ultimately, this is a step forward for the enduring M50 brand. Can't say that I've been disappointed with the sound, thus far. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back