The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Sep 8, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #2,431 of 6,348
@Malevolent thank you, that's a good overview. Interesting that they seem to have dropped aptX support in favor of LDAC. I don't use either, but an interesting decision nevertheless.
EQ and separate DAC/Amp sounds nice as well (though I don't use EQ either...). And yes, USB-C is much nicer than the rather more fragile Micro USB.

Sep 9, 2021 at 7:59 AM Post #2,432 of 6,348
@Malevolent thank you, that's a good overview. Interesting that they seem to have dropped aptX support in favor of LDAC. I don't use either, but an interesting decision nevertheless.
EQ and separate DAC/Amp sounds nice as well (though I don't use EQ either...). And yes, USB-C is much nicer than the rather more fragile Micro USB.
Yes, it was a surprising choice to drop aptX; after all, it is one of the more popular codecs around. In any case, it doesn't really pose an issue, since I'm using it for casual listening at home; if I do decide to bring it on-the-go, my phone has LDAC anyway. :)

The battery life has been superb, thus far. I've only charged it once (last Thursday), and I've used it for a couple of hours each day since. The headphone still indicates a "high level of charge" remaining. Impressive.

Sep 9, 2021 at 8:20 AM Post #2,433 of 6,348
Yes, it was a surprising choice to drop aptX; after all, it is one of the more popular codecs around. In any case, it doesn't really pose an issue, since I'm using it for casual listening at home; if I do decide to bring it on-the-go, my phone has LDAC anyway. :)

The battery life has been superb, thus far. I've only charged it once (last Thursday), and I've used it for a couple of hours each day since. The headphone still indicates a "high level of charge" remaining. Impressive.

The excellent battery life was one of the reasons to buy the older version for my son, so as not to have him recharge too often which might be forgotten. Fascinating that they even increased runtime while adding features like a hardware EQ (I.e. on phone processing). I like that they keep evolving an already good product while keeping the price reasonable.

Sep 9, 2021 at 3:00 PM Post #2,435 of 6,348
The excellent battery life was one of the reasons to buy the older version for my son, so as not to have him recharge too often which might be forgotten. Fascinating that they even increased runtime while adding features like a hardware EQ (I.e. on phone processing). I like that they keep evolving an already good product while keeping the price reasonable.
Yup, and all the while, Audio-Technica has retained the general signature of the ATH-M50 through its various iterations; if this is your preferred signature, it will remain an engaging listen, just in a portable-friendly version.

Sep 9, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #2,436 of 6,348
@Malevolent I'm curious how you feel the ATH-M50XBT2 compares to the XM4's?
My WH-1000XM4 is currently in the hands of my wife, so I haven't listened to it in a while. It used to serve as my BT daily driver, but it was supplanted by the Marshall Major IV, which has been, in turn, replaced by the ATH-M50xBT2.

Off hand, the Sony, without any EQ applied, has a larger bass shelf, with a thick, smooth body that can be somewhat mushy at the worst of times; clean and detailed aren't the first descriptors to come to mind. However, it is supremely comfortable to use.

On the other hand, the ATH-M50xBT2 is the same-old headphone that people love (or hate). It has a somewhat "v-shaped" sound, with accentuated bass and treble regions. However, it is not excessively boosted in the low-end region; the Sony is definitely stronger in the mid-bass. The treble has better representation too; it has better articulation and air, with greater sizzle in the high peaks.

Sep 10, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #2,437 of 6,348
My WH-1000XM4 is currently in the hands of my wife, so I haven't listened to it in a while. It used to serve as my BT daily driver, but it was supplanted by the Marshall Major IV, which has been, in turn, replaced by the ATH-M50xBT2.

Off hand, the Sony, without any EQ applied, has a larger bass shelf, with a thick, smooth body that can be somewhat mushy at the worst of times; clean and detailed aren't the first descriptors to come to mind. However, it is supremely comfortable to use.

On the other hand, the ATH-M50xBT2 is the same-old headphone that people love (or hate). It has a somewhat "v-shaped" sound, with accentuated bass and treble regions. However, it is not excessively boosted in the low-end region; the Sony is definitely stronger in the mid-bass. The treble has better representation too; it has better articulation and air, with greater sizzle in the high peaks.
Thanks! Always keeping an eye open for an upgrade to my XM3's.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #2,439 of 6,348
Hi folks, had a chance to check out the Stealth this afternoon in comparison to Rognir and VC. In sum, very good headphones, but not my cup of tea, though I can see the appeal for others.

You can find my brief impressions here.
Bc they're both "closed backs" ^^, may I ask about a comparison between the Rögnir and IE900? :ksc75smile:

Sep 11, 2021 at 4:32 AM Post #2,440 of 6,348
my closed back companions... very happy with both of them. Will post some detailed impressions soon.

2021_0911_10381200-copy.png
2021_0911_10381700-copy.png
2021_0911_10382300-copy.png

Sep 12, 2021 at 3:34 AM Post #2,441 of 6,348
Bc they're both "closed backs" ^^, may I ask about a comparison between the Rögnir and IE900? :ksc75smile:
Just saw this, sorry. Well obviously can't really compare technical details because one is a headphone and the other is an IEM! But I'm terms of timbre, they're not far off. The IE900 has a more present mid bass, which gives more of a u shape presentation. The Rögnir is more linear, though with a very musical presentation. Both have flattish mids with a sparkly top end.

I will say, when I got the Rögnir I was - and still am - so impressed that I found listening to any other headphone or IEM jarring (and then I sold a few as a result). However, the IE900 sounded fantastic throughout this early period and still does. Held its own against the Rögnir at least in terms of timbre. Both are fantastic!

Sep 12, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #2,442 of 6,348
Hi folks, had a chance to check out the Stealth this afternoon in comparison to Rognir and VC. In sum, very good headphones, but not my cup of tea, though I can see the appeal for others.

You can find my brief impressions here.
Thanks for your impressions! They are very helpful. :)

For me, the Stealth is a very good headphone, but against the Rognir I found it lacking in several respects. First, I didn't discern any technical aspects that topped the Rognir (if anything imaging, detail, and separation felt more precise and faster on the Rognir); second, the Stealth felt to me more congested and more closed, whereas I find the Rognir has a much airier presentation with better soundstage; finally, and above, all the Stealth was not engaging to me (and I think in terms of bass impact, the Rognir has a more visceral but controlled response). I actually found the Stealth a bit dry to be quite honest.

I've demoed a few DCA headphones before, and it seems the Stealth retains some of the feel of the earlier models. That will appeal to fans, but for those looking for a different take, I'm not sure they'll find it.
Sadly, it appears that the Stealth retains the house sound of the Dan Clark Audio headphones before it - I've always found them lacking in engagement and dynamics; they aren't the most exciting headphones around; only the AEON 2 Closed comes moderately closed to delivering a "fun" or "musical" experience. Moreover, their closed cans have a very "caged" feel; none of them have particularly large stages, even within the closed-back headphone category.

They have their strengths, no doubt, but I was hoping that the Stealth would help to correct some of the issues in their earlier models. After all, if you're swimming in the $3-4,000 realm of closed-back headphones, you'd expect perfection, or something close to it.

Sep 12, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #2,443 of 6,348
my closed back companions... very happy with both of them. Will post some detailed impressions soon.

2021_0911_10381200-copy.png2021_0911_10381700-copy.png2021_0911_10382300-copy.png
I've never been able to directly compare the HD 820 and the AH-D9200. Your impressions would be very helpful, indeed!

Thanks in advance! :)

Sep 12, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #2,444 of 6,348
Thanks for your impressions! They are very helpful. :)

Sadly, it appears that the Stealth retains the house sound of the Dan Clark Audio headphones before it - I've always found them lacking in engagement and dynamics; they aren't the most exciting headphones around; only the AEON 2 Closed comes moderately closed to delivering a "fun" or "musical" experience. Moreover, their closed cans have a very "caged" feel; none of them have particularly large stages, even within the closed-back headphone category.

They have their strengths, no doubt, but I was hoping that the Stealth would help to correct some of the issues in their earlier models. After all, if you're swimming in the $3-4,000 realm of closed-back headphones, you'd expect perfection, or something close to it.
Absolutely, the Stealth shares the basic DCA house sound together with the congested sense of space. If you like that sound, you'll like the Stealth. If you want fun and engaging, try again.

I found the Stealth quite boring to be honest. The headphone they reminded me the most of was the Oppo PM3, which are also ruler flat and best suited for studio context. They are absolutely not designed to be emotive or affecting. On a technical level, I also didn't feel they merited the price.

From my experience, I was disappointed insofar as they didn't live up the hype but also gratified because it confirmed my conviction that the Rögnir (followed by the VC) remain the best choice as TOTL closed-backs.

Sep 12, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #2,445 of 6,348
Absolutely, the Stealth shares the basic DCA house sound together with the congested sense of space. If you like that sound, you'll like the Stealth. If you want fun and engaging, try again.

I found the Stealth quite boring to be honest. The headphone they reminded me the most of was the Oppo PM3, which are also ruler flat and best suited for studio context. They are absolutely not designed to be emotive or affecting. On a technical level, I also didn't feel they merited the price.

From my experience, I was disappointed insofar as they didn't live up the hype but also gratified because it confirmed my conviction that the Rögnir (followed by the VC) remain the best choice as TOTL closed-backs.
the more I listen to the Stealth, the more I really hate them. They simply suck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back