The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Sep 12, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #2,447 of 6,351
Ouch. Hope you kept the receipt.

But yeah, the appeal is also lost on me.
DCA makes crap headphones. Big surprise.

They'll be returned or sold, no worries.

Pity those measurebators.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #2,448 of 6,351
Absolutely, the Stealth shares the basic DCA house sound together with the congested sense of space. If you like that sound, you'll like the Stealth. If you want fun and engaging, try again.

I found the Stealth quite boring to be honest. The headphone they reminded me the most of was the Oppo PM3, which are also ruler flat and best suited for studio context. They are absolutely not designed to be emotive or affecting. On a technical level, I also didn't feel they merited the price.

From my experience, I was disappointed insofar as they didn't live up the hype but also gratified because it confirmed my conviction that the Rögnir (followed by the VC) remain the best choice as TOTL closed-backs.
I had the Oppo PM3s and loved them (maybe because I am coming from the „studio context“) … so that’s why the Stealth could be something for me 😜

Sep 12, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #2,449 of 6,351
I had the Oppo PM3s and loved them (maybe because I am coming from the „studio context“) … so that’s why the Stealth could be something for me 😜
I bought the PM3 blind and it was an instant regret - extremely lifeless and boring. I actually sold them to a studio engineer in Vienna, and he found them perfect for the job, so the Stealth could be for you, indeed!

Sep 12, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #2,450 of 6,351

Decide for yourself, is key.
Use reviews as info, not as truth, as the truth only occurs in your own ears.
A couple of people here are hating on the Stealth, and enjoying themselves.... and others are not.
Your own milage will vary, so, enter at your own risk, no matter the brand or cost.
I personally ignore anyone's strident review who has only heard them in a shop or in an event, as that is not long enough to truly access a gear's sound.

The reality is......You simply can't pay enough money to insure that your dream headphones wont be a nightmare, and you can't know what you want to know, unless you own them or borrow them so that you can spend quality time with them, in your own listening environment.

Sep 13, 2021 at 3:32 AM Post #2,451 of 6,351
Decide for yourself, is key.
Use reviews as info, not as truth, as the truth only occurs in your own ears.
A couple of people here are hating on the Stealth, and enjoying themselves.... and others are not.
Your own milage will vary, so, enter at your own risk, no matter the brand or cost.
I personally ignore anyone's strident review who has only heard them in a shop or in an event, as that is not long enough to truly access a gear's sound.

The reality is......You simply can't pay enough money to insure that your dream headphones wont be a nightmare, and you can't know what you want to know, unless you own them or borrow them so that you can spend quality time with them, in your own listening environment.
Agreed that the best policy is to hear from yourself. As for spending time with them in a shop - as was my situation - I needed to only hear them for 30 minutes to hear their limitations and strengths. The environment was probably quieter than my own apartment and certainly with better gear. No mental or physical burn-in would have changed my mind.

As I've said before, if you're a fan of DCA house sound, as well as headphones like Ayra, Oppo PM3s, and also Campfire Ara, you'll like these. That kind of turning is antithetical to what pleases me in a headphone, but evidently for some people, it's a form of enjoyment.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #2,452 of 6,351
I've never been able to directly compare the HD 820 and the AH-D9200. Your impressions would be very helpful, indeed!

Thanks in advance! :)
I hope I find some time this week to do some proper A/B between the two. They sure do sound quite different from another.

Sep 13, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #2,453 of 6,351
Absolutely, the Stealth shares the basic DCA house sound together with the congested sense of space. If you like that sound, you'll like the Stealth. If you want fun and engaging, try again.

I found the Stealth quite boring to be honest. The headphone they reminded me the most of was the Oppo PM3, which are also ruler flat and best suited for studio context. They are absolutely not designed to be emotive or affecting. On a technical level, I also didn't feel they merited the price.

From my experience, I was disappointed insofar as they didn't live up the hype but also gratified because it confirmed my conviction that the Rögnir (followed by the VC) remain the best choice as TOTL closed-backs.
Even without listening to the Stealth, I can accurately envision what you are trying to describe - it's the classic Dan Clark Audio house sound, just a more refined version, perhaps?

I've heard most of the Dan Clark Audio headphones, from the original AEON Flow to the VOCE. All of them have one thing in common, and that's a distinct lack of engagement and dynamism vis-à-vis their contemporaries on the market. With the exception of the AEON 2 Closed, they generally sound.. bland, for lack of a better term.

I am sure the Stealth is good-to-great in the technical department - they should, for the price that it's commanding. However, if the tuning is insipid and boring to a fault, then it's not my cup of tea.

Sep 13, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #2,454 of 6,351
DCA makes crap headphones. Big surprise.

They'll be returned or sold, no worries.

Pity those measurebators.
I'm generally on the fence with regard to Dan Clark Audio's offerings. I like the AEON 2 Closed, but I was rather unimpressed with the original AEON Flow twins (both open and closed). The VOCE was boring, but the Ether C Flow 1.1 was a tad more exciting; yet, it didn't offer a thoroughly enjoyable listen, either.

Hence, I'm hoping that the Stealth takes the fundamental sound of the AEON 2 Closed, and dials it to 11 in its core strengths, whilst simultaneously improving upon the engagement aspect of its tuning, which is its weakest facet.

Sadly, some of the early reviews of the Stealth don't paint a very solid and compelling picture. I'll still head down to my local store(s) once the Stealth arrives, but my interest has been on a downward slide since the zenith at its introduction. It's a good thing, though, as this headphone costs a staggering 4 grand.

Sep 17, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #2,456 of 6,351
I've read in reviews that the Verite Closed with the stock pads is highly isolating. Does anyone know if the VC has greater isolation vs the Aeon 2? Or is it about the same?
They are about equal in this regard; both isolate noise fairly well.

Out of curiosity, are you looking to get one or the other? Or, are you looking at an upgrade from the AEON 2 Closed?

Sep 17, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #2,457 of 6,351
Hello,
Any recommendation for a 300€ closed back headphone?
Really interested in the 99 classic.
Most of the time I listen EDM, rock/pop, jazz and sometimes classic.

I can go around 300/400€, the Elegia is also a good option.
I'll use the closed back on daily, outdoor and indoor. So I need a confortable headphone without much sound leak

Setup:
Bifrost 2 - UD503
Little dot Mk3 SE

Sep 17, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #2,458 of 6,351
Hello,
Any recommendation for a 300€ closed back headphone?
Really interested in the 99 classic.
Most of the time I listen EDM, rock/pop, jazz and sometimes classic.

I can go around 300/400€, the Elegia is also a good option.
I'll use the closed back on daily, outdoor and indoor. So I need a confortable headphone without much sound leak

Setup:
Bifrost 2 - UD503
Little dot Mk3 SE
300€ closed back doesn't get better than the 99classics imo

Sep 17, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #2,460 of 6,351
@Malevolent , you know that I have the Denon 9200s and I briefly tried (during trial period) the Beyer T 1.3.

I love the Denon clean bass, but sometimes I would like a little more impact in some albums or genres. When I tried the Beyer T 1.3 I found the bass very impactful in some of my preffered metal bands (I loved to listen to Metallica, Stratovarius or Nightwish with them... but with other bands the sound was awful).

I would like to know how do you compare the Fostex TH 900 bass with the 9200s and T 1.3 or T5 (that you've tried more than the new T1 and I suppose they share a similar register)?

Some people say me that owning the Denons and the Fostex will be redundant, but I don't know... And you know is very difficult for me to try headphones (only in trial periods, but I don't want to abuse of that).

I wonder if I will have a similar experience (regarding only to bass) with the TH 900 as the one I had with the T 1.3.

Thanks, my friend :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back