The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Aug 26, 2021 at 7:21 AM Post #2,371 of 6,348
Hi @Malevolent I kind of "lost" your thread during summer and just found out, that head-fi didn´t give me the new posts. Anyways, I bid you a few months ago to test the Focal Elegia with the Celestee pads, because there were so many guys in German forums telling me that it is the perfect neutral headphone (for the money). Did you get the chance to test that and how were your findings? Sorry if you have posted it already but I couldn´t find it anywhere.
Oh my, I completely forgot about that. Mea culpa. I'll work on this over the weekend.

Aug 26, 2021 at 7:27 AM Post #2,372 of 6,348
Thanks for the help @Malevolent & @Nostoi . If they're less isolating then the LCD2CB I guess they're more focused on keeping sound in then out, ha. The reason I wonder is because the LCD2CB doesn't isolate the lower frequencies of my AC practically at all & the closed back AT Bluetooth cans I have actually amplify the noise.

I have a pair of Yamaha YH-E700A I just got in that showed me what strong isolation sounds like. They're noise cancelling but even with that feature disabled they remove most of the AC noise. They're a basshead's dream with high tactility & texture, it's too much for me personally. They're actually surpassingly proficient & clear sounding for a pair of self-powered portables if you can get past the pumped up lows. I think I'd take them over Audio Technica R70x & would have to think about them vs the Beyerdynamic T70 I used to love just to compare them to a duo of audiophile 'home' cans.
Hmm, if the LCD-2 Closed Back doesn't attenuate the sound of your air-con, I don't think the 2 Audio-Technica headphones will, too.

The Dan Clark Audio headphones isolate pretty well, though. I have the AEON 2 Closed, and it isolates better than the Audeze. If you're in the market for a new closed-back, you might want to take a look at the AEON 2 Closed or the AEON 2 Noire.

Aug 26, 2021 at 7:30 AM Post #2,373 of 6,348
Yes, for me they are too tight for longer listening sessions (which is everyday at work). I will try to stretch them a bit more with books overnight. Both A2C and the last pair of headphones I had for 5 years (HP150) have much less clamp force. I have only tried the Elegia, but the clamp force is one reason I have shied away from Focal (and soundstage). Both the HP150 and T5 have a pad/design which makes for warmer ears than the A2C.

Will probably write up a comparison at some point when I decide, since I will only keep 1 pair.
The Focal headphones are comfortable in terms of pad feel; they are plush, soft and envelop your ears well. However, the clamp force on the many Focal cans that I have auditioned and/or owned is quite frankly, unbearable. It's like a vice on your skull, one that also happens to play good music.

Aug 26, 2021 at 7:32 AM Post #2,374 of 6,348
The Focal headphones are comfortable in terms of pad feel; they are plush, soft and envelop your ears well. However, the clamp force on the many Focal cans that I have auditioned and/or owned is quite frankly, unbearable. It's like a vice on your skull, one that also happens to play good music.
I find that extending the headband just a little further than I normally would completely alleviates any clamp force issues. But this is of course highly personal.

Aug 26, 2021 at 8:00 AM Post #2,375 of 6,348
On looks alone, the MZ2 is one of the prettiest-looking amplifiers on the market; I just loveeee that glass top. On the other hand, the MZ3 looks all mean and ready for business. I'm looking forward to your impressions when they arrive! :)

Yeah, about that Hugo TT 2. Long story short - in February, I ordered the Yggdrasil and Ragnarok 2 combo. However, 6 months later, after an interminable series of delays, I cancelled my order and got a refund. As we are fans of the Chord sound, I knew that there could only be 1 logical upgrade from the Hugo 2, and a fitting replacement for the Schiit big-daddy-stack; thus, I went all-in for the Hugo TT 2.

I'm currently driving it without an amplifier; it's quite beefy in itself. Nevertheless, I'm still looking around for an amplifier; tube options are probably somewhere on the horizon - the Euforia, the MZ2, the HA-6A are some of the products under consideration. Still, I've spent quite a fair bit recently, so any mega buys would have to wait till next year. My wife has already been very tolerant - I don't want her to go into Super Saiyan mode! :eyes::sweat_smile:
Sounds good, and that's a nice amp selection you have. I've also been on the verge of ordering the Euforia several times over the years, especially the 20th Anniversary model. The other tube amp that I was considering was the Auris HA-2SF. Too big for my desk, but could pair nicely with the TT2.

In any case, keep us posted. And yes, gotta lay low myself on the spending under the eye of the wife. Oddly enough, it was only yesterday that she asked if my Rögnir were new. I mumbled out something incoherent about "depends what you mean by new," and she left without further incident....should be clear waters now. ⛵:darthsmile:

Aug 26, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #2,377 of 6,348
I find that extending the headband just a little further than I normally would completely alleviates any clamp force issues. But this is of course highly personal.
Thanks! Sadly, I've tried this, too; it didn't alleviate the overall comfort levels by a large enough factor. I like my headphones snug, but not tight, on my noggin. Sadly, the various Focal cans sit a little too close to the other side of the spectrum.

Aug 26, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #2,378 of 6,348
Sounds good, and that's a nice amp selection you have. I've also been on the verge of ordering the Euforia several times over the years, especially the 20th Anniversary model. The other tube amp that I was considering was the Auris HA-2SF. Too big for my desk, but could pair nicely with the TT2.
The Euforia is a great amplifier - when I had my most-recent audition, I listened to it with a Verite Closed. Despite being "all tubes", it didn't add too much warmth to the overall tone; rather, it helped to provide better definition in many aspects of the sound, treble included. There was a good sense of transparency and layering throughout. It's definitely a top contender, blending good looks with great sound, in a relatively small body.

In contrast, beastly amplifiers like the Cayin HA-6A and the Auris HA-2SF are simply too massive. Adding these amps to a collection will require a desktop overhaul.

In any case, keep us posted. And yes, gotta lay low myself on the spending under the eye of the wife. Oddly enough, it was only yesterday that she asked if my Rögnir were new. I mumbled out something incoherent about "depends what you mean by new," and she left without further incident....should be clear waters now. ⛵:darthsmile:
I'm pretty sure our spouses have learned by now that the lesser you know, the better it'll be. Or ignorance is bliss. :joy:

Aug 26, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #2,380 of 6,348
I am more of an iem person but I own a couple of high end headphones. My experience with headphones still remains relatively limited. The below should be read with that in mind.

I owned Focal Stellia briefly. I tried really hard to like it but I couldn't. Bass was really good and it's a very detailed headphone but upper mids were just a touch too aggressive for me. Sometimes even harsh. Important to say I didn't burn it in so that may play into it. Stellia looks and feels super premium. It's a gorgeous headphone with a very capable driver.

Then a used Ltd VC Ironwood showed up at a (relatively) decent price and I went for it. VC has a bigger stage. Bass reaches lower but is still very well controlled. Mids are sweet and vocals are pure. This is where VC shines for me. VC is also very detailed and treble is not lacking at all. In fact, nothing is lacking. It feels overall balanced and sounds incredible. If I had to keep just one headphone, this would probably be it. The fact it's a closed back is a bonus for me because I live in a relatively small space.

I haven't heard the standard VC and I don't know how the Ltd Ironwood differs from it.

Aug 26, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #2,381 of 6,348
Just wanted to drop by the dedicated closed back thread and say, I’m still in love with my Sony MDR-Z1R.

When the news about DCA Stealth recently came to light, I got really tempted to put in an order. But then I realized I had a set of closed backs (MDR-Z1R) that I loved with some PEQ, but hadn’t used in a while (since it’s been so hot I’ve been sticking with IEMs).

I have only ever enjoyed the MDR-Z1R with EQ, and I modified some O1990 and AutoEQ recommendations for my tastes and paired them down to fit into the limited DSP settings of the RME ADI-2 DAC (up until recently, that was the main DAC I used these cans with).

But with the DCA Stealth announcement I finally decided to in-app-purchase the ToneBoosters add-in for UAPP and make some presets for the MDR-Z1R. Wow! I’m in love again. I made three presets from my previous research modding the O1990 and AutoEQ PEQ curves, and since ToneBoosters supports 10 bands/filters, I was able to make even better PEQ curves than via the RME ADI-2 DAC.

I’m in love with the MDR-Z1R all over again, and it’s an even better relationship now that I can use them anywhere/mobile, with my Android DAPs using UAPP and ToneBoosters

Cheers,
Gus

Edit: link to post in MDR-Z1R thread with these ToneBooster preset settings: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-z1r-listening-impressions-only.853330/post-16520716

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2021 at 8:35 PM Post #2,383 of 6,348
I am more of an iem person but I own a couple of high end headphones. My experience with headphones still remains relatively limited. The below should be read with that in mind.

I owned Focal Stellia briefly. I tried really hard to like it but I couldn't. Bass was really good and it's a very detailed headphone but upper mids were just a touch too aggressive for me. Sometimes even harsh. Important to say I didn't burn it in so that may play into it. Stellia looks and feels super premium. It's a gorgeous headphone with a very capable driver.

Then a used Ltd VC Ironwood showed up at a (relatively) decent price and I went for it. VC has a bigger stage. Bass reaches lower but is still very well controlled. Mids are sweet and vocals are pure. This is where VC shines for me. VC is also very detailed and treble is not lacking at all. In fact, nothing is lacking. It feels overall balanced and sounds incredible. If I had to keep just one headphone, this would probably be it. The fact it's a closed back is a bonus for me because I live in a relatively small space.

I haven't heard the standard VC and I don't know how the Ltd Ironwood differs from it.
Like you, I prefer the Vérité Closed over the Stellia. The ZMF is better in some facets, but poorer in others (like the treble). That being said, in the overall sense of things, the Vérité Closed offers a more enjoyable experience than the Focal.

Make no mistake, though, the Stellia is a class act throughout; my recent auditions with them (via an M Scaler + Hugo TT 2 combo) has altered my perception of this headphone (somewhat). This stack is capable of extracting a lot of technical performance out of Stellia, without reducing the overall timbre and tone of the headphone. Funnily enough, I didn't find them bright or harsh in the treble; rather, it was just the right amount of prominence without straying into strident territory.

Aug 27, 2021 at 8:41 PM Post #2,384 of 6,348
Just wanted to drop by the dedicated closed back thread and say, I’m still in love with my Sony MDR-Z1R.

When the news about DCA Stealth recently came to light, I got really tempted to put in an order. But then I realized I had a set of closed backs (MDR-Z1R) that I loved with some PEQ, but hadn’t used in a while (since it’s been so hot I’ve been sticking with IEMs).

I have only ever enjoyed the MDR-Z1R with EQ, and I modified some O1990 and AutoEQ recommendations for my tastes and paired them down to fit into the limited DSP settings of the RME ADI-2 DAC (up until recently, that was the main DAC I used these cans with).

But with the DCA Stealth announcement I finally decided to in-app-purchase the ToneBoosters add-in for UAPP and make some presets for the MDR-Z1R. Wow! I’m in love again. I made three presets from my previous research modding the O1990 and AutoEQ PEQ curves, and since ToneBoosters supports 10 bands/filters, I was able to make even better PEQ curves than via the RME ADI-2 DAC.

I’m in love with the MDR-Z1R all over again, and it’s an even better relationship now that I can use them anywhere/mobile, with my Android DAPs using UAPP and ToneBoosters

Cheers,
Gus

Edit: link to post in MDR-Z1R thread with these ToneBooster preset settings: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-z1r-listening-impressions-only.853330/post-16520716
I'm glad that you're enjoying the MDR-Z1R. Despite having some vocal detractors, it has its fair share of fans, too - I'm certainly one of them. This headphone provides a grand, lush experience like no other. I love its sound stock, though, so I've never had any desire to EQ it.

Aug 27, 2021 at 9:10 PM Post #2,385 of 6,348
I'm glad that you're enjoying the MDR-Z1R. Despite having some vocal detractors, it has its fair share of fans, too - I'm certainly one of them. This headphone provides a grand, lush experience like no other. I love its sound stock, though, so I've never had any desire to EQ it.
Z1R is one of those "Oh yeah I'm a basshead" hps, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back